Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MJHTMonayaSajan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 2 years ago

Originally posted by: LizzieBennet

"I burn for you", is taken from TVWLM, Anthony says it to Kate. Not sure about the other two. I think they borrowed heavily from JQ's own works in Season 1- maybe because they did not know if they'd be extended, and wanted to give it their best shot. 

Oh that might be another blower to the book fans then na,...they already ruined Anthony's character and also stole the most iconic line and made it someone else's lol 

I think it's to do with the society and the general conditioning during those times. Gentlemen do not kiss and grope well-bred ladies like Simon did to Daphne, and he being the rake and she being the innocent, he probably felt it was entirely his fault. Even if she reciprocated. That's just how society was structured in those times. Anthony also blamed Simon and called him out when he refused to do the honorable thing and marry Daphne. Because it's the gentleman's onus to do the right thing since it's the lady's reputation that hangs in balance. Ladies had a lot more to lose if their reputations were ruined - this held true even through most of the 20th century.

For his part, I think Simon felt that after that kissing incident and being witnessed by Anthony, Daphne did not have much of a choice. She was 'ruined' in society's eyes, and to resurrect her reputation, the only thing she could do was marry the man who had been responsible for 'ruining' her. So during the duel, Simon is nowhere close to believing that Daph could be in love with him because he thought a) she was focused on her own reputation and b) she had to save her family/ her brother from getting killed. 

The fact that she accepted him even when he told her he couldn't give her children must have just driven home to him the desperation that Daph feels. She was so ruined that she felt compelled to accept even someone like him, and make a compromise on having a family. That's just how England was in those times. Reputation was everything for a woman, because it was difficult for single women to survive in society. That's why he's so clouded with guilt that love must have been the farthest thing from his mind. Also, Simon has never really been truly loved before, he doesn't know what that looks like, what it feels to be unconditionally loved by someone even if they hit him on the face with it.

Hmm...poor Simon,...I feel bad for him watching some of the scenes from his childhood....your childhood can really make or break you, depending upon the experiences you have...

It was weird to me how this couple never talked about anything! Everything was assumption between them!

I agree..especially because it was not a typical arrange marriage, and they were shown to be talking quite openly about things (even s*x, for that matter) before when they were barely friends in their opinion (even though unconsciously they had fallen for one another)

But yeah - she thought he was unable to have kids so she accepted him.

Then she found out he could have kids but he's choosing not to, so she felt betrayed.

I don't know when/how she got to # 3. smiley36 - the you will leave me part.. 

Will re-watch and post my view here again if I get it! smiley36

I think its to do with her understanding WHY he doesn't want kids, what he has suffered as a child and growing to love him for who he is, instead of trying to fit him in her image of ideal man/husband...Yeah, thats got to be it lol I also realized while discussing

For the amount Daph was obsessed with marrying (and a family) I don't know how she did not probe more on how babies are made, and what wifely duties actually mean! smiley36

Lol may be she didn't know how to probe properly..just one conversation with her maid, who she sees everyday throughout the day would have enlightened her πŸ˜†

A lot of other stuff bothered me too - like how could Pen (as Lady W) deliberately write about Marina and out her to everyone as pregnant? Just so that she would not marry Colin? Wouldn't it have been better to tell Colin than go about this in such an underhanded way? Especially knowing how alone and ostracized Marina would be? Her desire to have Colin for herself clouded all her judgment until she couldn't see what was morally right?

I think she tried telling Colin but he was so blinded by love that he was not ready to listen and consume that..he would have probably still fooled himself of being in love...so she needed to make it public, just so that his family also knows and they talk some sense into him...and also the society gets to know so no other innocent man is harmed...As far as I could tell, she was never concerned with being outcast as she was not very keen on getting married or attending all the balls...she also criticized Featheringtons on other stuff so she wouldn't care if this came out too for the greater good? Also, I think her telling Colin as Pen would have everyone know that it was she who betrayed the family..while writing it as Lady W doesn't give anyone a chance to point fingers at her... 

Pen in the books wasn't like this - she wasn't deliberately malicious. Lady W just wrote about the things she saw in a fun way. I couldn't abide by this change in Pen's character just as I could not abide by the whole Colin- Marina storyline. He was so in love with her, and yet, that one lie prompted him to leave her to the wolves? Again, perhaps I will see this differently on my re-watch! 

Thanks for the article, I'll read it soonish.

Another thing I also did not get was that if Marina was seriously so in love with Sir George, then why was she encouraging other men when she initially came there...It seemed like she had no objection to courting other men until she found out she was pregnant...maybe she just wanted to pass time until George gets back and not make any obviously questionable moves but it should have been shown more clearly...

LizzieBennet thumbnail
Originally posted by: MJHTMonayaSajan

Another thing I also did not get was that if Marina was seriously so in love with Sir George, then why was she encouraging other men when she initially came there...It seemed like she had no objection to courting other men until she found out she was pregnant...maybe she just wanted to pass time until George gets back and not make any obviously questionable moves but it should have been shown more clearly...

I don't know. Personally, I think there's so much more to Kathony's storyline - that line is the least of it, so I don't mind if Simon and Daphne had to 'borrow' it to spice up theirs! πŸ˜†

Kathony won't miss it. There's a lot he says after the 'I burn for you' that is more iconic! πŸ˜³

I'm still miffed about Pen though. Knowing how hard it can be for a single woman to survive knowing that she's pregnant I would have expected her to show some more compassion towards Marina, but she seemed to be only driven by her love for Colin after initially professing to be Marina's friend. Granted, Marina went about it quite slyly and she should have been honest with Colin, but even so, I thought Pen would have understood her desperation - at least I wanted her to. It would have been nice to see some female bonding and solidarity there. Pen's actions of revealing Marina's truth seem catty and uncalled for given the huge consequences for Marina. Her remarks about the Featheringtons seems innocuous in comparison - just a bit of gentle ribbing about the color of their gowns. 

I've only just watched Episode 1, and Marina discovers quite early on that she's pregnant. I think she accepts the courting, the suitors etc because that's what is expected of her. She has come to stay with the Featheringtons because she's expected to 'make a match'. It seems to me like she just goes with the flow, biding time until she heard news of George. She only becomes really desperate when her letters to him go unanswered. She thinks he no longer cares, and now has to find a way to hide her 'sin'. Her actions may seem shady and underhanded, but I do get her desperation. It's not so far removed from Daphne's. Daphne had her brothers to defend her honor and demand that Simon marries her - Marina has no one. She has to fend for herself.

Edited by LizzieBennet - 2 years ago

I don't know. Personally, I think there's so much more to Kathony's storyline - that line is the least of it, so I don't mind if Simon and Daphne had to 'borrow' it to spice up theirs! πŸ˜†

Kathony won't miss it. There's a lot he says after the 'I burn for you' that is more iconic! πŸ˜³

I'm still miffed about Pen though. Knowing how hard it can be for a single woman to survive knowing that she's pregnant I would have expected her to show some more compassion towards Marina, but she seemed to be only driven by her love for Colin after initially professing to be Marina's friend. Granted, Marina went about it quite slyly and she should have been honest with Colin, but even so, I thought Pen would have understood her desperation - at least I wanted her to. It would have been nice to see some female bonding and solidarity there. Pen's actions of revealing Marina's truth seem catty and uncalled for given the huge consequences for Marina. Her remarks about the Featheringtons seems innocuous in comparison - just a bit of gentle ribbing about the color of their gowns. 

I've only just watched Episode 1, and Marina discovers quite early on that she's pregnant. I think she accepts the courting, the suitors etc because that's what is expected of her. She has come to stay with the Featheringtons because she's expected to 'make a match'. It seems to me like she just goes with the flow, biding time until she heard news of George. She only becomes really desperate when her letters to him go unanswered. She thinks he no longer cares, and now has to find a way to hide her 'sin'. Her actions may seem shady and underhanded, but I do get her desperation. It's not so far removed from Daphne's. Daphne had her brothers to defend her honor and demand that Simon marries her - Marina has no one. She has to fend for herself.

Haha you guys have me all excited about Kathony story.. Soo many of you saying its the best and greatest of all Bridgeton stories πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Eagerly waiting to read your reviews on next episodes from S1 too! 

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Haha you guys have me all excited about Kathony story.. Soo many of you saying its the best and greatest of all Bridgeton stories πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Eagerly waiting to read your reviews on next episodes from S1 too! 

Ha ha- well, my expectations are high, but you never know with these show writers- whether they'll stay true to the source material or tweak it so much i won't recognize it!

Most people like Francesca's story the most. I've also seen Ben's story up there, but for me, it's always been Kathony. So we'll see. πŸ˜³

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Bridgerton S1 E2

- Simon's birthing scene: why does Lady D tell the Duke to go to the Duchess? It wasn't the norm those days for men to be present during childbirth.

- My goodness - is that Simon's full name: Simon Arthur Henry πŸ˜†Fitzranulph Basset! 

- "I have prepared her quite well," says Violet to Lady D. Ahh but you forgot to tell her about sex and how it works! πŸ˜†

- "If I were truly courting you I would not need flowers, only 5 minutes alone with you in the drawing room!" Ha! Simon! β˜ΊοΈ

- Because her condition is catching: Mama F to her girls! πŸ˜† Seriously, these girls know nothing! 

- Ahh PenEloise. Talking about accomplishments πŸ˜† And babies! πŸ˜† 

- And then E barges into the drawing room to ask loudly - how does a woman come to be with child? She got no chill! πŸ˜†

- C teasing E and then getting chastised by his mom, We were about to take our sticks out! πŸ˜† This is the Bridgerton  banter I wanted to see more of! 

- A arrives with Berbrooke only to find the living room flooded with suitors! 

- I find A addressing Daph as sister weird, can't remember if he did that in the books- it used to be Daphne or Daph I think..

- I liked the A and Simon sparring scene. Jonny and RJP were both good in it. "Family must come before all else!"

- Little Simon and his beastly dad fb scene. He calls him an imbecile, an idiot and a half-wit. Terrible man! πŸ˜‘

- Pen and Marina scene. Marina and George met at the church and now he's in Spain fighting with Wellington. "Your condition was brought about by.?" "Love" Now if that doesn't confuse Pen even more, idk what will! πŸ˜†

- The Queen has invited Violet over!

- Lady D and Simon fb scene: She's his mom's dearest friend - I'd forgotten their connection.

Something about the way Adjoa emphasizes her dialogues is jarring 

- Berbrooke: I have coveted your sister for her beauty , her grace

Simon: For her powerful right hook? πŸ˜†

- I like Lady D and Violet playing matchmakers 

- I don't understand why Daph is pissed with Simon for telling A about Berbrooke? She's free of him now, isn't she?

- Berbrooke gets it again, this time from Simon. And another thing became clear - Simon's dad wanted an heir so bad he pressured his mother into giving him one at the cost of her life! And Simon lost the one person who could have loved him. Could this be another reason he did not want kids?

- FB scene: Lady D brings little Simon (soo cute!) to his father and he insults her - keep your bitch mouth shut! Wow did people then speak like this? πŸ˜². Which brings me to - where was Simon and who took care of him until Lady D found him and took him with her? A governess appointed by his dad? Where did he live? Not at Hastings House. Then where?

- PenEloise discussing love and how it can get a lady pregnant! πŸ˜†

- A looks delish with all that mussed hair! β˜ΊοΈ

- Ahh S & D have a moment in the park β€οΈ until Berbrooke arrives (again!)

- Berbrooke is blackmailing D into marrying him, threatening her family that he will expose the fact that they were alone in the Dark walk to Lady W. So distasteful! I hate the fact that women should feel so helpless by even the tiniest threat to their reputation that they have to go along with the most hideous of solutions! And I also hate the fact that the ton is so wary of Lady W! - her pen seems to me more a poison Pen (Pun intended! πŸ˜†) I hate the fact that Pen who's essentially a good person should stand for something so ruthless and catty.

- V wants her kids to have love- like she did with Edmund.

- Ahh my fav pair of siblings - BenEloise! El sneaking a smoke in the backyard! πŸ˜† They both want something 'different'- different from the norm, and I love it!

- V meets the Queen who is all but an eccentric isn't she? Eccentrics in positions of power are a scary lot! And Brimsley is a gossip Now why couldn't he be Lady W πŸ˜†?)

- Lady Berbrooke: God did not bless me with another child because perfection had already been achieved πŸ€£

- Oh man, V is devious. Gets the downstairs to snoop and finds out that dear Nigel has sired a b**tard!

- And the gossip is out, and Berbrooke has to leave town. The ladies together have achieved what the gentlemen could not. Vi puts A in his place and he has no choice but to bow and walk away! πŸ‘ (But boy do I feel the tiniest bit sorry for him! πŸ˜†)

- Eloise and Daph scene: Daph playing the older sister and trying to assuage El's fears of marriage and childbirth, reminiscing about how Vi had to give birth to Hyacinth alone after Edmund's death. And then El delivers her final jibe: must be tiring to keep pretending!

- Ahh that dance. Both S and D are drawn to each other! Phoebe's expressions are great here, that tiny hitching of breath when he touches her bare back. Perfectly done! β˜ΊοΈ

- Simon stares at D as he stands with Lady D and watches her dance. RJP did well here, I can see the longing he conveys. He knows he can never give her what she wants - a family. 

And then fb to Simon's dad dying and then Simon making his vow- The Hastings line dies with me. Powerful scene and I could sense the quiet menace in Simon's tone, how much he hates his dad.

Okay, overall a good episode though I wish they had spent more time building up on Simon and Daphne's friendship than on defeating Berbrooke. 

Bridgerton S1 E2

- Simon's birthing scene: why does Lady D tell the Duke to go to the Duchess? It wasn't the norm those days for men to be present during childbirth.

I think they were trying to emphasis how it **should** be, just like many other tweaks in the traditions.

- My goodness - is that Simon's full name: Simon Arthur Henry πŸ˜†Fitzranulph Basset! 

- "I have prepared her quite well," says Violet to Lady D. Ahh but you forgot to tell her about sex and how it works! πŸ˜†

- "If I were truly courting you I would not need flowers, only 5 minutes alone with you in the drawing room!" Ha! Simon! β˜ΊοΈ

I am not sure I got the meaning of this correct though! Does he mean he is so good in *those* things that that is all he would need to impress a Lady?

- Because her condition is catching: Mama F to her girls! πŸ˜† Seriously, these girls know nothing! 

- Ahh PenEloise. Talking about accomplishments πŸ˜† And babies! πŸ˜† 

- And then E barges into the drawing room to ask loudly - how does a woman come to be with child? She got no chill! πŸ˜†

"I thought one had to be married...apparently thats not even a requirement" πŸ˜† But I do find it weird that these girls haven't even got a clue about how this works...I mean..Daphne did mention she is aware of her brother's "lifestyle", she did faintly understand what Simon meant by "5 mins alone in the living room"....Her references to "The Dark walk", punching berbrooke for trying to get close to her...are they trying to say these ladies are so dumb not to put 2+2 together? Surely they must have seen their younger brothers have something different than them (at least Daph, who is the eldest, must have changed her baby brother's diapers)...like seriously...even when I didn't know the exact details, even as a 10-12 yr old with no access to internet, I had an idea what it must be about...how are these girls soo clueless??

- C teasing E and then getting chastised by his mom, We were about to take our sticks out! πŸ˜† This is the Bridgerton  banter I wanted to see more of! 

- A arrives with Berbrooke only to find the living room flooded with suitors! 

- I find A addressing Daph as sister weird, can't remember if he did that in the books- it used to be Daphne or Daph I think..

- I liked the A and Simon sparring scene. Jonny and RJP were both good in it. "Family must come before all else!"

- Little Simon and his beastly dad fb scene. He calls him an imbecile, an idiot and a half-wit. Terrible man! πŸ˜‘

- Pen and Marina scene. Marina and George met at the church and now he's in Spain fighting with Wellington. "Your condition was brought about by.?" "Love" Now if that doesn't confuse Pen even more, idk what will! πŸ˜†

- The Queen has invited Violet over!

- Lady D and Simon fb scene: She's his mom's dearest friend - I'd forgotten their connection.

Jarring in a good way? 

- Berbrooke: I have coveted your sister for her beauty , her grace

Simon: For her powerful right hook? πŸ˜†

- I like Lady D and Violet playing matchmakers 

- I don't understand why Daph is pissed with Simon for telling A about Berbrooke? She's free of him now, isn't she?

I think she knows Berbrooke is very entitled and is counting on the fact that Daph or anyone else will not open their mouth as Daphne's reputation will be ruined by it more than his...Now that he sees Simon is not bound by these conditions and is not scared to spill the truth, he will take an even extreme step (which he does in the picnic scene) 

- Berbrooke gets it again, this time from Simon. And another thing became clear - Simon's dad wanted an heir so bad he pressured his mother into giving him one at the cost of her life! And Simon lost the one person who could have loved him. Could this be another reason he did not want kids?

You know I was thinking that....the limitations of medical science at the time, any person who loves their wife should want to not have kids lol...I was seriously like Lord Bridgerton thought of making Lady B pregnant with Hyacinth so late and they call it "pure love"?? It was also apparent from Daphne-Eliose convo once that that childbirth was not easy for Lady B. I think that could be one of the reasons for Simon, as in one of the later scenes, he tells Daphne "Trust me, its for your own good"... How can anyone be so obsessed with kids that they are not scared of the actual process of giving birth? Or is Daph not aware of how baby is delivered too?? I remember ever since I knew of that process, I have been terrified and my only solace was that c-section is an option (which was not available for these ladies then)...the more and more I think abt it, the more I find Daphne dumb lol..I should just stop over-analyzing and enjoy the serial for what it is πŸ˜†

- FB scene: Lady D brings little Simon (soo cute!) to his father and he insults her - keep your bitch mouth shut! Wow did people then speak like this? πŸ˜². Which brings me to - where was Simon and who took care of him until Lady D found him and took him with her? A governess appointed by his dad? Where did he live? Not at Hastings House. Then where?

- PenEloise discussing love and how it can get a lady pregnant! πŸ˜†

- A looks delish with all that mussed hair! β˜ΊοΈ

- Ahh S & D have a moment in the park β€οΈ until Berbrooke arrives (again!)

- Berbrooke is blackmailing D into marrying him, threatening her family that he will expose the fact that they were alone in the Dark walk to Lady W. So distasteful! I hate the fact that women should feel so helpless by even the tiniest threat to their reputation that they have to go along with the most hideous of solutions! And I also hate the fact that the ton is so wary of Lady W! - her pen seems to me more a poison Pen (Pun intended! πŸ˜†) I hate the fact that Pen who's essentially a good person should stand for something so ruthless and catty.

Unfortunately, not a lot has changed even in the 21st century where protecting a girl's reputation is considered more important that filing a case against a rapist...sad reality we live in...

- V wants her kids to have love- like she did with Edmund.

- Ahh my fav pair of siblings - BenEloise! El sneaking a smoke in the backyard! πŸ˜† They both want something 'different'- different from the norm, and I love it!

Ok seriously, E can secure a cigar but not get *that* info...Pen can setup the entire supply chain to print and distribute her newspapers while not revealing her identity but can't find *that* info...the main condition that drives this story is really really absurd to me

- V meets the Queen who is all but an eccentric isn't she? Eccentrics in positions of power are a scary lot! And Brimsley is a gossip Now why couldn't he be Lady W πŸ˜†?)

- Lady Berbrooke: God did not bless me with another child because perfection had already been achieved πŸ€£

And Daph's expression on that πŸ€£

- Oh man, V is devious. Gets the downstairs to snoop and finds out that dear Nigel has sired a b**tard!

- And the gossip is out, and Berbrooke has to leave town. The ladies together have achieved what the gentlemen could not. Vi puts A in his place and he has no choice but to bow and walk away! πŸ‘ (But boy do I feel the tiniest bit sorry for him! πŸ˜†)

Thats one good thing abt this show...time and again they have shown ladies having more brains and wisdom than men...

- Eloise and Daph scene: Daph playing the older sister and trying to assuage El's fears of marriage and childbirth, reminiscing about how Vi had to give birth to Hyacinth alone after Edmund's death. And then El delivers her final jibe: must be tiring to keep pretending!

- Ahh that dance. Both S and D are drawn to each other! Phoebe's expressions are great here, that tiny hitching of breath when he touches her bare back. Perfectly done! β˜ΊοΈ

And then she telling him "I wish to find a husband, and have children" re-instating that this (their pairing) would never work... It was a great scene...they being drawn to each other, having a moment and then Daphne comes back to reality first and her line brings Simon back to reality as well..."Then lets find you a husband" and they walk away...everything shown so subtly yet so powerfully

- Simon stares at D as he stands with Lady D and watches her dance. RJP did well here, I can see the longing he conveys. He knows he can never give her what she wants - a family. 

And the stutter that comes back everytime he is nervous..

And then fb to Simon's dad dying and then Simon making his vow- The Hastings line dies with me. Powerful scene and I could sense the quiet menace in Simon's tone, how much he hates his dad.

Okay, overall a good episode though I wish they had spent more time building up on Simon and Daphne's friendship than on defeating Berbrooke. 

Nice to see your S1E2 review :D 

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Does he mean he is so good in *those* things that that is all he would need to impress a Lady?

I think so! πŸ˜† Simon is a rake and he knows what it means to truly pleasure a woman, so I think that's what he's hinting at!

Daphne did mention she is aware of her brother's "lifestyle", she did faintly understand what Simon meant by "5 mins alone in the living room"... 

I think Daphne knows the rudimentaries but not the details. Like she knows wifely duties mean something, and that things happen between a man and a woman, but that's it. I'm surprised none of them tries to find out though, like you said earlier by probing a few maids! Or even finding some well-illustrated anatomy books in the library. πŸ˜†

Jarring in a good way? 

Not in a good way, no. I thought she was literally spitting out the dialogues in that scene in a bid to be emphatic!

I think she knows Berbrooke is very entitled and is counting on the fact that Daph or anyone else will not open their mouth as Daphne's reputation will be ruined by it more than his...Now that he sees Simon is not bound by these conditions and is not scared to spill the truth, he will take an even extreme step (which he does in the picnic scene) 

This actually makes sense, and yes it highlights how much more privileged men are, especially men in positions of power like Simon as compared to Daphne, even though she also belongs to the gentry.

You know I was thinking that....the limitations of medical science at the time, any person who loves their wife should want to not have kids lol...I was seriously like Lord Bridgerton thought of making Lady B pregnant with Hyacinth so late and they call it "pure love"?? It was also apparent from Daphne-Eliose convo once that that childbirth was not easy for Lady B.  

I don't want to give away spoilers from the book without asking if you'd be okay with it, but Daph, Anthony, Gregory - all have trajectories you'd be surprised at. The second epilogues are written about their lives several years later, and the kids they had.

Yeah I agree about Vi, but she married very young and Anthony was born when she was only 18. She was 37 when she was pregnant with Hyacinth which is not very old. I think Hyacinth's birth must have been more difficult because Edmund died when she was pregnant, and that must have added to the stress.

Ok seriously, E can secure a cigar but not get *that* info...Pen can setup the entire supply chain to print and distribute her newspapers while not revealing her identity but can't find *that* info...the main condition that drives this story is really really absurd to me

That's true. It is galling that the entire premise of the story falls apart if it weren't for this wafer-thin plot point.

Thats one good thing abt this show...time and again they have shown ladies having more brains and wisdom than men...

Shonda has said it's about the female gaze and tbh it's not hard to tell that the show is designed from a woman's PoV. They do have tough women like the Queen, and Lady D, and even Violet. And Kate. Yes. I'm waiting for Kate to throw Anthony off his high-horse! πŸ˜†

Not in a good way, no. I thought she was literally spitting out the dialogues in that scene in a bid to be emphatic!

Lol yeah πŸ˜†

This actually makes sense, and yes it highlights how much more privileged men are, especially men in positions of power like Simon as compared to Daphne, even though she also belongs to the gentry.

Yeah, I was initially thinking how nice it would be for these women, they don't have to cook, Daphne didn't even know how to turn on the stove..they have a personal maid to get them ready, escort them everywhere, hold their gowns and what not....but then when I think about all the restrictions they had to live with and society's expectations from them, it must feel like a golden prison

I don't want to give away spoilers from the book without asking if you'd be okay with it, but Daph, Anthony, Gregory - all have trajectories you'd be surprised at. The second epilogues are written about their lives several years later, and the kids they had.

Oh, maybe don't say anything about Anthony and Gregory since I haven't read the books and plan to watch the show but regarding Daph, is the spoiler related to any parts that would be coming in future? If not, spill the beans please πŸ˜Š 

That's true. It is galling that the entire premise of the story falls apart if it weren't for this wafer-thin plot point.

πŸ€ͺ

Looking forward for your S1E3 review πŸ˜ƒ

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Oh, maybe don't say anything about Anthony and Gregory since I haven't read the books and plan to watch the show but regarding Daph, is the spoiler related to any parts that would be coming in future? If not, spill the beans please πŸ˜Š 

Idk what they will cover in the show, so it's hard to tell.

The second epilogues are different for each sibling. For some it's the immediate aftermath of the wedding, for others it's several years. So Daph and Simon's second epilogue may well make it to the show - but idk how they'll do that since RJP isn't coming back (unless they recast both D and S when they're older)

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Bridgerton S1 E3

I actually watched E3 and E4 together, not stopping to pen down my thoughts, and I'm surprised at how much happens in these two episodes.

I think they might be my favorite episodes in this season.

Lots of progress for most of the characters.

Ep #3

- Starts with Daph's dream and ooooh it's sexy - especially when he pulls off her glove and caresses her hand! β˜ΊοΈβ˜ΊοΈ

- And then it's followed by Daph lusting after Simon licking his spoon. Noice! πŸ˜†β˜’️ No wonder this episode is called 'Art of the Swoon'!

-  Idk why Marina is being kept in confinement though? Ladies go into confinement only after the 7th or 8th month of pregnancy. What's she hoping to achieve by locking her up in the room and telling everyone she's sick?

-  I loved the Bridgerton drawing room scene-  so many little things happening- Daph pushing Ben off the sofa he's sprawled on so she can sit next to him, A swatting Gregory with his newspaper when he swipes a little tart from his table, all of their expressions! I live for Brigderton siblings' bantering!

- Another ball: London is simply one ball after another! πŸ˜†

- S and D walk in together and D soon realizes all the men she's dancing with are utter bores! 

- And here comes Prince Friedrich - he's cute! And nice! 

- S guesses what the Prince must be telling Cressida about her gown and he says the exact same thing to Daph and she giggles, much to the Queen's disapproval! 

- I did not care for RJP's expressions in this scene. Like I said before, he's great at playing angry, passionate and impassive, but anything else leaves me wanting. Especially when he's conveying mirth and joy. Something really off about him in such scenes.

- Madame Delacroix and Siena are friends. πŸ˜² They're discussing who could be Siena's new protector. Idk why, I don't think Siena really cares for Anthony other than seeing him as someone who can provide for her. I think A shows more emotional attachment. For Siena it seems to be more about survival and looking after herself. I confess I did not like her mocking Anthony.

- Papa F loses to A at the gambling table. A and S have a conversation where A tells him he's glad he's respectful towards D and yet he knows he will never marry, when Siena walks in. A moves away and she tries to lure Simon into being her protector, asking him to come to one of her shows.

- I like the A and Daph scene - where they talk in the kitchen over some milk, after being defeated by the stove! πŸ˜† The gentry are completely useless! πŸ˜† But Daph now realizes a few things about Simon and feels compassion I guess.

- Daphne's gowns are so pretty. I love the pale blue one she's wearing while playing the piano.

A metaphor for the unfinished piece she's working on, and then after Simon directs her, she ends up 'finishing'. I see what you did there, Bridgerton writers! πŸ˜†

- If I haven't said it before I'll say it now - Julie Andrews as Lady W rocks! Idk how they managed to get her on board, but she's fabulous!

- They're going to a gallery- a painting exhibition. 

- El and Pen looking at a painting, and El vocalizing her disdain for it because  it was done by a man who sees a woman as an object (like a vase πŸ˜†). I love fiercely feminist El.

- Marina begging Pen to help her while Mama F drags her to meet some old fogie. Her logic: The oldies will be ready to marry her immediately since they are in want of a heir while her young suitors will take time to propose and time is something she doesn't have. I like Marina being sassy though- she has spirit!

- Ahh Lady D being cheeky - allowing Ben to rattle on about how  bad the painting is when Lord Granville - the artist, is right next to her πŸ˜† No wonder he's chagrined. This is the kind of Lady D stuff I want to see more of in the show. The books have plenty! 

-  D and S in a room looking at the paintings - "Excessive pride suits you, Ms. Bridgerton"

They are studying a painting that Simon donated - favorite of his mother's, there's some soul baring and they gravitate towards each other, their hands link. Subtle scene.

Cressida fakes a swoon, the Prince is fanning her and Daph giggles again at Simon's cheeky comment. Cute.

Annd Simon decides not to go to the opera - Siena is left high and dry. I know she's from the working class, struggling to survive in a society that's so harsh on women, but I find it difficult to muster any sympathy for her. Perhaps it's the actress. Idk. For Marina, yes, I can feel her plight, because Ruby plays her well.

-  The Queen wants Friedrich to woo Daphne since she's the incomparable. I feel sorry for him too, he's nice but too blah.

- Mama F brings Marina to a shady part of town, telling her this is what her life will be like and M scoffs! And says these are hard-working people! No shame in being like them! You go, girl! πŸ‘

- They're walking in the park with Vi and Lady D as chaperons. Idk why, I keep feeling RJP is so out of it. Like he's not involved, not really in the scene. Almost like he'd rather be elsewhere. It's strange. But they're discussing his and A's boyhood exploits and it's cute too.

"How can something be both physical and intangible?"

And this is when he asks her to touch herself - and she is shocked, confused and aroused all at once. Phoebe's expression is perfect in this.

- Lady D swatting Simon with her stick and demanding to know his intentions about Daph. πŸ˜†

- El and Ben convo again. She really got no chill- she's born in the wrong era for sure! "If you want the sun and the moon, all you've got to do is shoot at the sky! Some of us cannot!"

She's telling him to pursue his art, go out and get what he wants so she can live vicariously through him. Oh El! πŸ˜’ And then Ben asks her if she's Lady W, and she replies just as I expected - Do you think I'll admit it? 
I love these BenEloise scenes, it's a nice set-up for what comes later in El's story. (If they get that far!)

- Daph is on a high after that night of 'completion' and she goes to meet Simon eagerly, only for him to tell her they should stop seeing each other now that their ruse has had the desired effect. 'Before I corrupt you any further.." he says. Oh, Simon, you have no idea! πŸ˜†

- Anthony- Siena scene: He tells her to come back to him, she says, "You are Viscount. Your responsibility will always be to that title above all else!'

- Pen brings Marina a letter from George and she's shattered, only because of the vile scheming of Mama F and Varley who have forged it to say he's not interested in her! πŸ˜‘

- A and Vi scene: She's being a tad unkind here I thought, she brings him a list of eligible young women and then 'taunts' him about his father's watch- the heirloom. I suppose she's trying to say he'd better focus on getting himself a bride and a heir. "Time is of the essence"

- Another ball. Simon and Lady D talking and he tells her he's leaving London. Pen's gown is a hideous yellow. I wish her hair didn't have to look like that though. They certainly seem to want to make her look unappealing. I guess as a set-up to Colin's famous statement regarding her. Marina's gown is yellow too, but so pretty! 

- Daph makes a grand entrance and everyone is awed. And the Prince is smitten! Simon's expression says it all. "Why settle for a duke when you could have a prince?" says Lady W.

I really liked this episode. So much happened and there was progress with Daph and Simon. 

I hate Anthony vacillating between Siena and his duty as a Viscount. Book!Anthony has a reason not to want to fall in love, but here he seems to be so obsessed with Siena! The book was about Kate breaking down his defenses, but here he seems to have no defenses. πŸ˜”

Idk how they're going to play this out in S2. I really hate the Siena storyline. If they had to have it, they could have just shown it as a casual relationship - like in the books. But they made it look like A was heartbroken, and made him too heavily invested in her. Not what I wanted to see....