Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Dimdim thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 2 years ago

Originally posted by: columbia

Please don’t mind me saying, I will actually applaud her for this. The fact is that her art or her medium of earning is her singing. Bollywood singers only have limited performance rights, their way to make money is only through singing songs in concerts. It’s not like they are paid as much as music composers or as actors, The shelf life is limited, how will they earn money? 
i feel it’s time for us to move on from making “do it for free” as a mahaan kaam. Kaam hai bhai, mazduri hai, majburi nahi. It’s different if she was in a party with friends and refused to sing, but this was a radio station which would make lots of money if she sang becos people will tune in and none of that would go to her.

I agree with you about free singing. But this was unlike that. It was just two lines of the song that too at the end of the program.  And she was on the Radio station to promote her  Concert.  

columbia thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 2 years ago

Originally posted by: Dimdim

I agree with you about free singing. But this was unlike that. It was just two lines of the song that too at the end of the program.  And she was on the Radio station to promote her  Concert.  

yes prima facie, it seems like nothing. But it takes just two lines for the radio to have enough to cash on. For example they could include it in a jingle and she would never benefit from it. This is how it works, everyone wants a free lunch. 
Separate but related in a way - My friend is a photographer and you don’t know how many times she has been asked by other friends to do their shaadi for free. That’s her earning, not a hobby. 
Btw it’s very very likely that Alka had already told the radio station that she will not sing (off radio) and the guy pulls a fast one on her and asks her on air, thinking she will not refuse. Because usually pre interview discuss kiya jaata hai ki kya bolna hai etc.