Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 2 years ago

Originally posted by: CrimeMasterToto

Cult classics usually need to check a few boxes for consideration

- movie being panned and disliked upon release

- the fandom is limited and only increases well after the release

- becomes very quotable in pop culture (or meme-able these days)

I don't think that definition is necessarily true. A cult film is basically a movie that has such a dedicated and loyal fan following that it becomes it's own aesthetic and subculture. 

Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter were well received by critics, huge box office hits and opened to an existing fanbase. But audiences started dressing up and camping out for opening nights. They often still get shown as marathons where fans take the whole movie-watching experience to another level. People still have themed events and collectibles. They qualify as a cult classic. 

Studio Ghibli and Disney Pixar also produce critical/commercial successes. Their long-term fandom is very niche. There is a whole cult of merch, collectibles, and even foods from the production houses (more for Ghibli than Pixar). 

There was a whole slew of 2000s films that were well received but went on be everlasting quotable memes in pop culture - Legally Blonde, Bring it On, Miss Congeniality, and Mean Girls. 

Then of course there are the ones more typically associated as cult classics - Rocky Horror Picture Show, Army of Darkness, Big Trouble in Little China, The Room, etc. 

In Bollywood, I'd say Sholay and DDLJ have achieved cult status. Their showings still command a fan base, they are highly quotable, and new generations enter the fandom. 

Gangs of Wasseypur too was critically very well received, but not so much commercially and has a niche following making it a cult. 

Then there are the genuine niche films like Gunda, Ramsay Horror flicks that fall into the so bad they're good cult. 

In general, though, there are not as many true cult films in Bollywood because the entire industry is massy. Films become mass hits and then before they can become cult they are forgotten for the next mass hit. Although HAHK, Devdas, DCH, etc are quotable and people do watch them over - they hardly have a discernible subculture (maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see it) 

S_H_Y thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

Z-Gen Zest

None.

In last twenty years.

Either they are classic or have a certain fan following not enough to be called cult clasic.

BhetuPunha thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Lootera has all the makings of a classic, cult or not 👍🏼.

Haiwan thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: cutejodikangal

‘Tum Bin’ !!!!

Haven’t met a single person who didn’t like the movie or haven’t watched it multiple times. Just watched it yesterday after years and boy one of the rare movies which has aged really well also! So I guess it can be called a true cult classic!!

I'd partially agree.

I thought it was a decent watch when I first saw it, with no intention of repeat views.

Unfortunately, my better half loves this movie and keeps making me watch it again and again. And everytime I pull my hair more and notice even more terrible acting of Sandali Sinha.

loginidran thumbnail

Originally posted by: tapori

I'd partially agree.

I thought it was a decent watch when I first saw it, with no intention of repeat views.

Unfortunately, my better half loves this movie and keeps making me watch it again and again. And everytime I pull my hair more and notice even more terrible acting of Sandali Sinha.

Yeah, her acting is ok. 

I did the same to my hubby too. But now he has learned to run away from it. He still says he likes the movie but cannot watch it for the 48585th time. 😂