FF: Pale Blue Dot Thread 16 - ch 41, 2parts updated-27/06/2017

hemakeerti thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 6 years ago

Banner credit to my dearest darling Kalgi. Darling.. it takes me 10k words to convey my mind but it takes you just one picture to say it all! Love you for matching my craziness, for fitting my imagination into one frame!! 

Avika.. How blessed am I to receive this kind of reciprocation!! Thank you so much dear... ðŸ¤—

And here comes one more from pagal-est PBD lover! Payalia... you rock girl...!!🤗

Hemakeerti OSes - Compiled 

PBD INDEX

Prologue

Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3 

Chapter 4

Chapter 5 

Chapter 6 

Chapter 7 

Chapter 8

Chapter 9

Chapter 10

Chapter 11

Chapter 12

Chapter 13

Chapter 14

Chapter 15

Chapter 35

Chapter 36 - part1 

Chapter 36 - part 2

Chapter 37

Chapter 38

Chapter 39

Chapter 40

Chapter 41

Edited by hemakeerti - 6 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

hemakeerti thumbnail
Chapter 41 - Part1

~~~~Whooosh (uprush of wave)~~~~

ee velalo neevu ... a ha ha hmmm mmm

~~~~ (silent backwash)~~~~

"Each time a wave backwashes ..." His girl suddenly spoke, glancing at the vast expanse ahead and anchoring toes into skittering sand. "I feel the slipping sand wants me too to join its sojourn to sea..."

Buzz... Buzz...

"In that case..." he turned her into him, held her by waist and docked her onto his toes.

~~~~Whooosh (uprush of wave)~~~~

"With this..." she smiled at their adjoined bodies, "...what are you trying to prove mister?"

~~~~ (silent backwash)~~~~

"I'm trying to say the Sea..." his toes curled, firmly rooting into slipping sand. "...that I won't let it have you."

Buzz... Buzz...

"Uh huh?" She shot a teasing brow. "How long will you hold me this way?"

"As long as I've feet."

"Very heroic!!" Ruffling his hair she chuckled... but slowly her chuckles waned to a bleak smile. "What if the sea got angry and sends a gigantic wave for me?"

"Then," he answered without second thought. "It gets both of us."

Her smiles illuminated.

Stepping out of his enfoldment, she began retreating. "And you think I'll let you do so." She mystically nodded, pointing finger to something behind her. "It's coming for me... only for me. I'll not let it have you."

Flustered, he walked ahead to get hold of her but he moved nowhere. He looked down... startled!

The pit of sand had engulfed his feet!

While he stood wiggling and panicking, a humongous wave rose, right behind his girl... higher... higher... and... higher...

And then the sea quieted!

No tumultuous waves. No roar of surf. No sight of her!

Dab... dab... dab...

To the frantically opened eyes, shadow of ceiling fan blades appeared like doom's outstretched hands. For a moment he wondered where he is...

Home? Or hell?

Home!  He confirmed after a drowsy scan of his suite, shifted to right, and closed the blazing lids. What was that?  He revisited the bizarre dream. Does it mean something...? He restlessly rolled to left.  Or is it only the subconscious anxiety coalescing into a dream...?

"Sir... sir... Jalal sir" Mani's urging voice, followed by hasty knocks on the door dragged him out of thoughts... and out of bed.

"Sorry to disturb you sir," Closing mouthpiece of cordless he carried, the antsy attendant quickly explained. "Aliya madam is on line. She told me she called on your mobile twice but you didn't pick up. Then she called on landline. Looks like it's something urgent."

"Aliya?" Jalal frowned. "What's the time?"

"Yes sir. Five ten"

"Hello..." walking back to couch, he answered Aliya's call.
"What? When?"
"How is he now?"
"Oh... Thank God!"
"What? Me...? Why?"
"Is he in a condition to talk? Give him phone. Let me talk."
"In person? But why?"
"Hmm!" He stood pensive. What is it that Khan Uncle wants to talk to me in person?

"Give me some time. I'll call you shortly. How's aunty doing?"
"Alright, take care!"

"Sir..." Having got half gist from the one sided conversation, Mani eagerly enquired. "What happened to Khan Saheb?"

"Hospitalized with cardiac arrest." Wrapping up his mind, Jalal went for his laptop. "Not critical though. He is kept under observation."

"Oh... okay." Mani simply said, without feeling the slightest sympathy for Khan or his family.

"I'm leaving for Hyderabad," checking availability for first flight to Hyderabad, Jalal instructed. "I'll be back by evening. If not, cancel your holiday till I come."

Disheartened by the thought of canceling his vacation, the reluctant attendant hesitated before nodding in yes. Pinning to the hope that Jalal would return by evening, if not for him, for his birthday bash or for Jodha, Mani scooted away.

What is it that he wants to talk to me?

Jalal's fingers mechanically worked, but his mind reeled over and over on this sudden insistence from Khan and mostly... on the consequences of this meeting. Nevertheless, he booked a to-and-fro ticket, got up to inform Jodha, but changed mind and headed to get ready.

~~~

"Jodha..."  "Jo..."

"Jo..."

Receiving no response for his calls and pats, Jalal straightened up. The rhythmic rise and fall of her chest vouched for the trance she's in... making him momentarily think of leaving home with a note to her on the side table.   He would've definitely done that had it been any other situation, but with Aliya being involved, he couldn't risk the chances of another misunderstanding.

Leaning in, he shook Jodha's shoulders, called out her name, and just when he was relieved to see her lids open... his hands were ferociously nudged.

"Bast**d..."

Jalal blinked, not sure of what he heard and blinked again, completely appalled by what he heard and saw next. "Jerk. Rascal. I'll kill you... kill... "

Rolling to the farther side of bed, Jodha sprang out and picked up the first object her fingers grazed.

"kill you ... if you come..."

"JODHAA..."

"Banggg..."

His shout, her recognition of him, and cell phone hurling out of her hand - all three happened at same time, leaving no time either for her to revoke her action or for him to dive aside. By the time the languid girl recognized
neither its a hotel suite nor the man was Ramesh, Jalal was seen rubbing his chest.

Argh!

Dropping the laden head to palms, Jodha sank onto bed. "Nasty xxx..." kneading the throbbing temples, she murmured something that Jalal failed to perceive.

Unwinding from the mind-blowing surprise his girl gave, Jalal moved to her side of bed, tagging along a water bottle from side table.

"What was that?"

"Nasty haunting from past!" She peeked up from palms, guilty. "Isn't it amazing that nice memories never repeat but dirty ones keep recurring?"  She went for a joke but a reminder of the swearing she uttered killed the attempt. Her eyes shut in self-loathe.

Darn she!

"Sorry boss..." standing up, she duly apologized. "So... so sorry. I felt someone is closing on me... like that night." With a stern shake, she temporarily banished the repulsive memory out of head. "But I should've known it is you. Conscious or not... I must have recognized your touch. How could I not know you?" She angrily ran fingers into her hair, looked at Jalal for his response and noticed two striking facts: one, he's all ready; Two, he remained aloof.

"Why're you stopping there?" She took a quick remediation step towards him. "And you're decked up? What's the time? How long did I sleep?"

"Time is Six!" Offering her water, Jalal took a quite back step. "You weren't late. I'm early. I'm decked up because..." waiting for her to finish drinking, lest she should choke, Jalal paused. "I'm leaving for Hyderabad now."

"What...Where?"

"Hyderabad. Khan Uncle is in hospital."

To the groggy mind, it took a moment to process who Khan is and when it eventually did, her mind went berserk.

"What? Why? When? I mean... What happened?"

Jalal explained the situation, observing her expressions changing from worry to sympathy to relief and to intrigue... as he finished.

Why? - was the question that repeated in a loop in her frenzied mind.

If he's fine, why does he want to see Jalal?
Her fingers fidgeted with the bottle giving away her restlessness. Why would a father, to whom his daughter is everything, urge to see his son-in-law... sorry... ex son-in-law... in a situation like this?

Her instincts voiced the answer - To ask the ex to accept his daughter - and a major part of her panicked at the very thought. But, the tiny pragmatic part of her admonished... warned her to stick to the faith she kept in Jalal. Thence, she stood pretentiously calm... facing the scrutiny of a certain skilled mind reader.

"I'm going because..." Holding her fake calm eyes, Jalal bridged the gap by a foot. "I don't want to live my rest of life speculating - What was it he wanted to talk to me? - Who knows what's in store tomorrow? I hope you're getting my point."

"Yes." Her head rigorously nodded as if she's in total agreement with his friggin decision.

"I don't know what he wants to talk to me about..." he further asserted, thickly smirking at the more-than-needed vigor in her nod. "But remember... my Life... my control! No one makes decisions for me." He stared pointed and Jodha got her message.

Feeling utterly stupid for failing to hide her apprehensions and utterly proud of her man's gauging skills, she held his hand. "You're doing the right thing." She smiled, willingly conceding. "When are you returning?

"Evening." He peered at his watch. "And I should start now."  His arms rose to take her into a parting embrace... but withdrew just in time.

"What?" She checked her confused.

"I think I'll wait." Jalal seriously quipped. "I don't want to hear that B-thing again."

"Oyyy..." The contrite lady stepped ahead to finish what he began, but Jalal was quicker to lurch back. "You know I didn't mean you and I already apologized."

"Still..." Devouring her griping lips from distance, Jalal stuck to his decision. "I think I'll wait."

Bridling the itch to pounce onto him and violate his celibacy, Jodha stood restrained and folded arms - her way of posing a challenge.

"How long?"

Tucking hand into pocket and stylishly nodding - his way of conveying that the challenge is accepted - Jalal said. "Till I believe you really recognize my touch."  He winked. "And I'll appreciate it if you can keep your hands to yourself till I'm ready."

"Oh..." She folded arms at back, appearing not be offended.  "Okay!"

Game on.

~~~

Collect blouse from boutique.
Order cake.
Flowers & candles.
Pack peddamma's Saris.
Pick anklets
Pick sari for tonight... Pink or Red.

Debating in mind over wearing a Pink Sari, the color she knew Jalal surely loves on her, or a reddish orange one, a new shade Jalal might equally appreciate, if only she tried... Jodha returned to living and missed noticing an anxious Mani awaiting her.

"Madam..." Seeing her absently tread upstairs, Mani called from behind.

"Yes..." She turned back, knitting brows at the hesitation on his face. "What is it Mani?"

"When will Sir be back madam?"

"Evening."

"Sure madam?"

"That's what he said."  She shrugged. "Why?"

"Sir told me not to take leave until he returns. As it is I go home only twice a month and if I don't go for Dussehra... my kids will be greatly disappointed. I want to make sure sir is returning today, madam. Else I've to inform my family na."

Sympathizing with his lackluster eyes, she assured. "Sir is back or not, you are going home today."

"No... no!" Mani outright dismissed that notion. "Go on holiday when he told not to and then..." his eyes traveled up, to the railing where Jalal hit the other day. His head frenetically shook in a firm no.

"Fret not," Jodha winked. "Your sir will be fine. Rain or shine you're going home today." She finalized with prim authority and darted upstairs.

10:15am, Apollo Hospitals, Banjara Hills

"No idea Abdul..." making his way to ICU, Jalal said. "She called me at five in the morning and said nothing but - Abbu wants to talk to you Jalal. I'm almost there. Ten more minutes and I'll have the answers. My return ticket is booked for evening but for any reason I couldn't make it... carry on with the party without me."

"Your birthday bash and without you?" Abdul gritted frustrated, more for his friend's unnecessary involvement in Aliya's matters than for the screwed up plan.

Where's this meeting actually leading to?

"Call me after talking to Khan," he ordered. "Let's then decide on party."

"Ok..." Jalal was about to disconnect when Abdul stopped him. "Abbe... before you go, one reminder - don't forget what a skilled manipulator Khan is. You don't have to melt to any of his words. Most importantly, keep your father away from this. It'd be no surprise if your eternally loyal father throws Aliya at you if that's what Khan had planned to ask. To top it, he doesn't have a damn clue of what Jodha is to you."

"What do you want me to say?" Grinning at his friend's warnings, Jalal prodded, "... if Khan uncle asks me accept Aliya again?"

"Tell him..." Abdul drew the phone closer "... to F**K off!"

Contrary to the solemn face one carries while visiting a patient, Aliya's relatives and Usman spotted Jalal at the entrance of corridor with a sly grin.

Why is he here?  Aliya's relatives exchanged curious glances.

~~~

"You shouldn't talk much Khan ji... and you guys please make sure he's not stressed." The resident doctor warned for third time before leaving ICU with his staff, followed by Aliya and her mother. An awkward silence prevailed while the left out trio exchanged smiles, inwardly fumbling through opening words.

Being the youngest and a little less lofty of the three, Jalal took the initiative.
"How are you feeling now uncle?"

In response, Khan tossed a long stare and a clumsy half smile. "Awkward."

"...and a little scared."

He smilingly held up hand before one of the Ahmeds consoled him with the usual - You'll live for hundred years... nothing will happen to you- routine. He had heard it enough since the minute he had been admitted.

"Not of death though... of life... of Aliya's life." He jumped straight to point. "There is something I planned to tell you two years ago Jalal..." he took a deep breath "...which I obviously didn't. And after last night, I'm little worried that it would remain unsaid forever. I insisted on meeting you today because last night when I slept on my bed, the expectation was to wake up there... not in this ICU.  That got me thinking. Tomorrow, what if there is no wake up at all?"

Usman uncomfortably shifted on legs, not liking to think of no-tomorrow for the man who gave him the life he's living.

Some more gauche silence later, Khan looked up to the young man on his left. "If I ask you to sum up Aliya in a sentence, what would it be Jalal?"

Jalal hesitated - not understanding why Khan asked it now and definitely not knowing how honest could he get about a daughter when the question came from a father lying down in ICU!

"It was only a mild attack Jalal." Khan jested. "My heart can still handle honesty."

Jalal smiled, feeling the awkwardness gradually abate. "Clever, candid and... a little conceited."

"A little...?" Khan sniggered. "The way I brought her up... it had to be more than a little."

Another long silence followed. Khan closed eyes preparing for the exertion while Usman and Jalal shared what's-going-on glances.

"When I knew my wife cannot conceive another child after Aliya, I was disappointed. I hoped to have a son Jalal... intelligent, strong-willed, and tough one who could endure the combats my business legacy brought along. Being affluent wasn't rosy. It had its share of nastiness too - envious relatives, scheming partners - to mention a few. Doctors said I will have no more sons... so I made Aliya my son - the tough one!

From day one, I made sure she was trained for this traitorous world. I reined her every move, her every thought. I chose her dressing, her school, her friends, her college, her career, her marriage - you name it and there is my decision behind it. Under my influence, she grew up to be the son I never had. The day you said yes to wed Aliya this was the speech in my mind -

'Aliya isn't any other woman Jalal. She's very practical.
Her thinking, her actions are like double-edged knifes. Don't expect her to be emotional. Don't be surprised if she handles relations like business deals. You agreed to marry a woman who makes a great business partner, but may not make a great life partner. Aliya isn't of the typical my-husband-is-my-everything, family-comes-first-to-me types.'

Opening eyes, Khan smiled at Jalal and Usman. "Phew. That came out easier than anticipated." 

Taking Jalal's hand into his, he softly spoke.

"I thought of telling you that and set your expectations of Aliya straight. Not that you didn't know about your friend, but a reminder is no harm, right?" He sighed.

"The man in me so wanted to caution you, but the father in me thwarted it beta. First it's a father's ego that forbade me from speaking low of my daughter. Then there was this father's insecurity. What if you got too much alarmed and backed off from the wedding?"

Khan's thumb grazed over Jalal's fingers.

"I chose you for Aliya because no one but you understands her. Most importantly... no one but you keeps her happy. That doesn't mean I didn't think of your life, your happiness Jalal. How could I not? I had similar affections your father had for you. You know that right?"

Jalal nodded, undoubtedly agreeing to that. He disagreed with many aspects of Khan, but if there's one thing that he couldn't deny... it was his affection for him. That man had always been concerned for him! 

"I proposed Aliya for you only after thorough deliberation Jalal. I saw you growing up. Somehow you never portrayed yourself like a typical family type man with great aspirations of a coy wife, rosy children and all. You were keener on trying something big with your life; more interested in making a name for yourself in business world than making a happy family. I hope you're getting what I am saying. Not all men rush to home by six to spend evening with family, right? Some of us love to burn oil till midnight at work. We love to do something more interesting than buying wife flowers or something more challenging than changing baby diapers. Somehow... you always portrayed that kind of man Jalal."

Right! Jalal simpered, unable to deny it. Back then, he was exactly that. Now... is a different story.

"And for a man like that... I knew Aliya would make a perfect wife - one who doesn't demand her husband's time at all. I thought it would be a win-win deal for you both. Pardon my language boy..." Khan grinned.  "Business runs in veins, you see."

"And your marriage was working the same way I expected... until the abortion." His eyes turned disapproving. 

"To be frank, I didn't expect she'd take such step. From where we are coming, we don't do abortions. Every child is treated as Allah's boon. When Aliya told me of abortion, I was appalled. For once, I felt I had gone too far with making Aliya a son. However unconventional a husband you are... I know aborting a child wouldn't go well with you. Also, that was a decision that affected your entire family, not just you. Trust me Jalal... I'd have stopped her in first place if I had a hint of it.

The damage was irrevocable, so I flew to Bangalore to at least stop the consequences from going the irrevocable way. I wanted to personally explain you the situation, pacify you before you arrived at any decision. But you've made up your mind even before the talks began Jalal. You were so cold, so meticulous in your anger that you shut off doors for any discussion. All the apologizing, the pleading, and the persuading scenario I devised in my mind never got a chance to come in open. The frustration of not getting my word in... got the worst of me, and I did something I never meant to do - INTIMIDATE you."

He caught on breath, feeling a little exhausted from continuous talking.

"That moment, I very well remember. When I asked  - You think you could get away with a divorce - I knew I screwed it up big time. It didn't take a blink of eye to realize... I officially lost you. But this aristocratic ego coming from lineage you see..." he sighed. "It does no good sometimes."

Having nothing to add or comment, the Ahmeds stayed still listening to Khan's monologue.

"Pure ego it was when I threatened to severe ties with your father, withdraw shares from Regal, if you didn't reconsider your decision." With a cheerful smile, he turned to his mentee, loyal friend cum ex-partner.  "And then comes your father's classic reply  - Let me wager till my last penny to buy my son's pride."

He grinned at his own imitation. "Usman...I so envied you both at that moment. A father with paramount faith on his son... and a son every bit worth the faith. What a spectacle you both were... backing up each other!"

A faint smile touched Usman's lips, his eyes meticulously free of father's pride.

"Later when I returned to Hyderabad... nearly everyone who heard of the strife, suggested me to talk to you once again before heading with divorce. Literally everyone, except Aliya's mom! If you remember, she was the only silent audience while we're debating. She was silent before too, when I shouted on how she consented for abortion. While I was instructing my lawyers to screw you in every possible way, she approached me. She told me something Jalal..." he peered up at ceiling.

'For everyone's sake, let the divorce happen smoothly Khan. Aliya had made enough mess, don't make it any nastier. I warned you on Jalal-Aliya's wedding but you dismissed my fears saying that you thoroughly considered all odds. You wanted to know why I agreed for abortion, right? Listen! Your daughter HATED that child. Yes...it wasn't mere anger; it was hatred ! You know why? Just because that child wasn't in her plans. She looked at the baby as a limitation Khan - an impediment to her dreams, to her independence! You think she was going to love the baby after birth...? No way! I agreed to abortion because that baby better died than being born to a loathing mother. I didn't tell you this because no father can stomach this side of his daughter. Especially you, who held the major share behind what Aliya is today. I was only trying to save you from self-reproach Khan.'

He glanced down, burying his wife's voice within. However scathing his daughter's attitude was, he's not going to reveal it to a third person. "She told me something that changed my mind, for better. I then decided to let you go. To make you completely independent of Aliya - which meant - withdrawal from Regal, no extension of Four wheels land lease, and severing all ties that connects you to Aliya. I knew I'm throwing you into an abyss of financial crisis but I also knew you'll not take long to recover. And here you are - International clients, brand new deals, R & D wing..."
he smiled complacent for being so right about the young man.

"Kicking butts of all strong players in Infra and Automobile world. Isn't he Usman?"

The elderly duo shared a hearty chuckle at the fleeting blush on young entrepreneur's cheeks.

"I'm following you boy. I keep tab of what you do..." the sick man appeared nowhere sick when he jauntily winked. "Just like I'm not oblivious to Aliya & your reunion."

Usman, obviously the oblivious one of the three, sewed brows. When did this happen?

"Coming to the second reason I called you for... what's with this Sameer guy?"  Khan intrigued. "I keep hearing his name at dinners often. I know you did the introductions - that means I shouldn't be wary. But you think it'd work out? ...with Aliya?"

"I did only introductions." Jalal smugly smiled, glancing at his father first and then at Khan. "I think Aliya perfectly knows how to work out things her way... if needed."

"Hmm! True!" Khan sighed, taking a moment to mull over his next words.

"And the third reason I called you for is..." He stared at Usman and Jalal. "Come what may... when the need arises, will you be there for Aliya?" His eyes held hope. "Will you extend the same support you once used to?"

Crime branch office, Bangalore 12:30pm

Name: Shyamkumar Reddy
DOB: 20.05. 1981
Education: ITI - Electrician
Family: Father (Expired), mother, sister
Crime: Forgery
Height: 5' 8
Weight: 62kgs
Built: Lean
Eye color: Black
Identification marks: Mole on collarbone, 2 cm cut on ...

Tring... Tring...

Flapping the file close, Prithvi peered seriously at his phone. It's the third time in the day he had picked that file and the third time he was disturbed - the caller better had a reason worth the disturbance. And he was right - it was his informer from Hyderabad operating on Jodha's case calling.

"Sir... the details you asked for are ready!" The informer kept it short, knowing his boss's liking for precision. "Shall I fax to your office?"

Greatly relieved that the details he was waiting for almost a month are finally available, Prithvi eagerly nodded. "Yes, surely... thank you!" Leaving the file he's studying aside, he walked up to fax machine. Two minutes later, it began popping one document after another, and the officer quickly skimmed through each of them looking for familiar names, if any.

Finding none, he returned to desk and resumed with the other significant file of Jodha's case.

...cut on back of left palm.

A short anecdote of crime, year, and place was all the info his Hyderabad crime branch friend needed to dig that particular file out. Moving on from the felon's description, Prithvi skimmed through FIR that detailed how SBI official Raghuram Akkineni's signature was forged by the bank clerk Shyamkumar and a bribe of fifty thousand Indian rupees was exchanged. After nearly memorizing the case history, Prithvi flipped pages to the felon's personal record.

"Resident of Afjal Gunj with father, mother and sister. Father - attender at State Bank, Secunderabad. Mother - house wife. Sister intermediate second year. Shyam passed two year Electrician course from Govt. ITI College. Worked for one year as local electrician's helper- left work due to differences with master. Worked with Transportation Company for another year; left that job and took up small electrician contracts in their colony. Father died in an accident in 2005 while returning from bank. As per bank policy, attender post was offered to Shyam.  He cleared bank clerk exam and got promoted to clerk in two years. His wedding was fixed but got cancelled due to arrest. No recorded remarks on conduct. No previous record of crime. Reserved, soft spoken, introvert..."

Prithvi winded up a second read of all pages in next five minutes. Before laying it down, he didn't forget to add to his notes, the three facts that piqued his interest.

- Father died in an accident
- Wedding cancelled due to arrest and
- Possess HTV (Heavy Transport Vehicle)  all India driving permit.

AP 28V 9339 white Maruti Zen, two passengers in front. Man identified as Raghuram Akkineni. Woman as his wife, Vasudha Akkineni. Screech of tires spotted for 50meters before it first toppled. Multiple topples before it completely crashed. Likely chances of hit and run by some heavy-duty vehicle.

An excerpt from the accident case file he read at Saradhi's home eventually flashed in his mind.

2:30pm

"You're saying this now?" Jodha curled her fingers around the cellphone tightly, fearing she'd fling it into air anytime.  "Now... just when I was about to start to your boutique?"

"Sorry ma'm. Holidays time, too many orders to work on. We tried our best to finish your blouse but couldn't. Give us two more days. We'll surely..." The boutique lady went on contritely explaining but no amount of explanation worked on the vexed and disappointed girl. Not in a mood for another word, she brusquely disconnected the call.

Damn fxcking sorry.

Her cellphone flung... safely into an inner pocket of handbag. In fits of anger she didn't realize what she swore; however, given the circumstances of day and her state of mind, it was highly possible that she realized her utterance and yet had no scruples about it. Pressing temples with thumbs, Jodha closed eyes, took quick breaths to fight back tears - tears of exasperation resulting from all the awful events she had to put up with since morning.

For starters, her day began with meanest swearing of the man she revered the most which left her mouth bitter even now as she mulled over it. Then her visit to home to pick Saris and anklets turned woeful. First, her call to Prameela was answered by Suguna who sweet-talked her not knowing Jodha had heard her previous night's flak.  Then... the anklet hook she was trying to put on while still managing a polite talk with Suguna... broke. Not to mention, the negative vibes and sentimental setbacks her optimistic heart had to deal with for next few hours.

Around 12:30 that afternoon, she dialed four bakers in and around Indira Nagar to order a cute one-pound eggless chocolate cake, just the right size for a sweet couple like them, but all four of them outright denied her - just because the notice is too short for an eggless cake and a pound is too small a cake to work upon on a backbreaking workday. Unable to afford a few bakers screw up her sweet, lovey-dovey plans for the night, she decided to leave early for home and get her hands dirty with baking.

At half past two, having winded up all work at jet speed, she dialed the boutique to inform of her arrival, which is when they coolly blew up her excitement with we-tried-our-best-but-give-us-two-more-days news. 

Miss moron fun-killer... Her tirade took the sarcastic way. How about throttling your neck and say- 'Sorry ma'm... I tried to choke you to death but couldn't... give me two more days and I'll be there...'

By the end of imitation, a small smile escaped her lips despite the spite deluging her head.

Miss moron fun-killer!  Leaning back in seat, she squeezed the eyelids shut. Good! At least wits didn't elude me yet!

"I thought I wouldn't be a lone bystander this time."

Behind shut lids...Jalal's divulgence, more precisely his emotionless look before that divulgence flashed. Two days ago when she gave the blouse for stitching, she hadn't had great aspirations except pleasing Jalal. The same night when he kissed her, her aspirations rose a little higher, paving way to some naughty imaginations - imaginations like his warm gazes melting her, his warmer smirks teasing her, his warmest body draping around her like second silk- Uff. 

And after a talk with Jalal last night, her aspirations took a mawkish turn.

"What's the program for 2nd?" she had asked, helping Jalal with dinner while he worked.

"Ayudha pooja at Four wheels in the morning..." Jalal replied. "Mom & Dad will be here by noon. Abdul-Sara, Chetan-Smitha & Prithvi too. The gang will decide rest of the program..." he looked up winking "... unless you make one for us."

So... essentially she gets Jalal all to herself for only one more night.

She sighed.

One more day or 24 hours is a better usage. Her conservative upbringing immediately rebuked.

"Will you attend Pooja?" she skeptically asked, for, they never discussed his religious beliefs before.

"WE will attend Pooja!" Jalal asserted, thinking she assumed he wouldn't take her along.

"Oh... but I'm not allowed to participate in any Pooja..." she explained. "I can only be a bystander and watch."

"So do I!" Jalal smiled. "I don't do idol worship. Chetan and Smitha does the rituals. Abdul, Sara and I are usually bystanders."

She nodded, making a mental note of his I-don't-do-idol-worship. "Okay, while you're gone, I'll go home. Peddamma is so worried about unkempt floors on festive days."

Surprised, he furrowed brows. "You aren't coming with me?"

"Of course, no!" She shrugged as matter-of-fact. Isn't it obvious that they shouldn't make any public appearances till they make THEM official? 

"What'd I do there? Also you can do better without who-is-this-stranger-with-Ahmed-sir gossip."

Jalal stayed quiet for a while... then resumed typing. Seeing him fall unusually silent, Jodha poked. "What?"

He looked up... his gaze tactfully emotion free. "I thought I wouldn't be a lone bystander this time."

It came out very... very casually from him... but... Jodha's breath caught in throat.

A lot of debate ran on back of her head - practicalities of a public appearance, explanations to be given, gossip to be faced etc... etc... but...

She got up, clearing his dinner plate and her Rasmalai bowl. Jalal watched her leaving from corner of eye, mildly disappointed by her silent exit... Hmm! A resigned sigh stemmed out of his heart forcing him to admit the fact that the disappointment was... a little more than mild.

"There is a rulebook of dress code in my home." Jodha stopped at doorway. "Mom was very particular about my dressing. I'm so accustomed to her rules that I find it hard to break them... now... in her absence too."

Jalal shot up a brow, not getting a hint.

"Any idea what Sara and Smitha are wearing?" She frowned. "I better not be the only one standing there in a Sari."

A moment later, he said... his eyes flashing with smile. "If I were you, I'll go by my rulebook, no matter how others show up."

Coyly nodding, she walked away planning to put the Peacock Blue Sari to its best use. It's her first public appearance with him. And it had to be... PITCH PERFECT.

To be continued...

hemakeerti thumbnail
Chapter 41 - Part 2

Plot details:

•        10 acres
  •        2km from Outer Ring Road
  •        15km from Hi-Tec city
  •        Estd. Market value 150c
  •        Original documents missing since ~October 2013.

Potential beneficiaries in event of Jodha's death:

•        Immediate heirs PardhaSaradhi & Prameela  (Knocked out)
  •        Distant successors Jodha's maternal uncle & other relatives (Knocked out)
  •        Successors of previous owners of land.  (Investigation in progress)
  •        Third party Housing real estate firms and/or Industrial firms owning lands around the plot. (Investigation not started)

Background:

December 1989, advocate PardhaSaradhi buys 10 acres of barren farmland, 40 kms Northwest of Hyderabad. Bought in a bank auction, the land then valued Rs33,000/- which was registered on name of his brother Raghuram, as a gift to his newborn daughter. With Government of AP granting SEZs (Special Economic Zones) to corporate organizations, Hyderabad expanded towards Northwest thus shooting the land prices up. Current estimated market value of one acre around Outer ring road is 15 to 20c which makes the 10 acre property worth ~150 to 200c.

*** A lump sum huge enough to motivate a murder!

Saradhi held the original documents till he handed them over to his brother last September. Raghuram had planned to get it registered on Jodha's name on her 25th birthday. Eleven days before registration, Raghuram and Vasudha die (or killed) in an accident.

Three months later, Saradhi confirms original documents were missing. He asked his real estate friend Usman Ahmed to watch out for any unauthorized transactions occurring on this land at Rajendra Nagar sub-registrar office... where the property was originally registered.

Till date, no trace of original documents. No illegal transactions on land either.

*** Two evident murder attempts on Jodha one in Hyderabad, one in Bangalore. Both are executed in a way to portray as natural incidents.

People identified to be aware of this land - Saradhi & Prameela, Raghuram & Vasudha, Saradhi's parents, Vasudha's parents and brother, Raghu's friend Srinivas (distantly related to the land's previous owner who lost it in bank auction).

Possible crime scenario: Suspect -> X

1.    X knew property is going to be transferred to Jodha's name. X acquires original documents, plans murder of whole family in a seemingly natural 'accident'.  Jodha misses. Targets to kill Jodha before she gets wedded to avoid her husband becoming the legal heir to property.

Or

X didn't have original documents before accident. Plans murder to stop the registration from happening. Somehow acquired the documents later. 

2.   X is aware of property but doesn't plan for murder. Raghu & Vasudha dies naturally in an accident. X is also aware of whereabouts of documents, gets greedy after parents' death, acquiesces the documents and now wants Jodha out of his/her way.

Prithvi gave a revisting glance at his old notes before grabbing the new file with copies of previous registrations of land, his constable aide had faxed that morning. Hoping to get some lead, any lead... the officer sat dogged - with fresh mindset and fresh pieces of information.

The first page in file had brief summary of transactions jotted down by his informer. 

Beginning 1971 (tentatively), the property changed three hands till December, 1989. Originally a Seven acre farmland sold by some farmer, Rudrayya (tentative name given by sources), to another farmer, Sridhar Patel, who owned three more acres by the seven acres. In 1980, Sridhar Patel sold all ten acres to Prasadrao who mortgaged it in 1983 and finally lost to bank auction in 1989.

First sale: Between 1971 - 1974: 7 acres. No registration details available as the panchayat recordings were lost. No family details available.

Second sale: 1980; 10 acres. Patel got the land legalized after 1975 land reform Act, AP. Attached is copy of sale deed when the land was sold to Prasadrao. No family details available except for Patel's wife's name on sale deed.

Third sale: 1989, 10 acres. Prasadrao to Raghuram Akkineni via Grameena co-operative bank, Rajendra Nagar. Attached is copy of sale deed signed by Prasadrao, his wife, 2 sons and a daughter. Since Raghuram was in Jaipur, his brother, PardhaSaradhi handled the transactions.

Prithvi closed the file, not finding any prospective information in it. He returned to his notes mulling over the theory he previously arrived at.

Suspect1/Planner -> ??

Suspect2/Executor > ??

Who entrapped whom? Supsect1->Suspect2 or Suspect2->Suspect1

The three statements written in red stared back at him. A little brainstorm was all it took for the canny officer to conclude there were two people involved in crime -  one planner and the other executor.

Prithvi knew the planner is an insider, acquainted enough with Jodha's family to track and/or be apprised of their moves. The executor had to be an outsider, who Jodha hadn't seen before.

From beginning, Prithvi had too many names in head for the insider but zero names for the outsider...that is... till three nights ago. The little prying he did while making a casual talk with Jodha turned out to be more productive than he expected.

FORGERY - the first mention of crime struck a chord with his police instincts. In a case that involved missing documents of worth 150 crores, a link to a past case involving forgery meant... SOMETHING. Because... whoever owned the documents presently, have no option than to forge Jodha and her parents' signatures. if they were to get the property registered on their name.

Dead people can't sign and definitely the killer had no intention of acquiring Jodha's sign before killing her.  So the plan has to be - either forge the signatures or the signatures were somehow already taken... so just kill everyone.

Suspect2/Executor > Shyamkumar?!

He wrote the name and reevaluated his reasoning.

•        Skilled in forgery.
  •        Forged Raghuram's signature to perfection before.
  •        Imprisoned just before wedding.
  •        Deprived of a substantial government job - a job he earned upon father's 'accidental' death.
  •        Age, height & color of skin match the description the pan shop boy shared.
  •        Possess license to drive heavy transport vehicles.

So...

Prthivi added another statement beside Shyam's name.

Shyamkumar?! - This man HAS a reason to kill.

~~~~

4:15pm

"My granddaughter always sulks why I didn't learn baking when I learnt so much cooking." Vasantha smiled, handing over molten butter to Jodha. "I told her it was too fancy for me. But looking from the video there..." she gestured to Jodha's cellphone playing video of eggless chocolate cake recipe, "...it looks fun ...and simple. Does this recipe work for sand-box-baking method too Jodhamma?"

Jodha blankly looked up from mixing bowl, having no clue on whatever that sand-box baking is... but quickly pulled on the expert mask.

Yep... today she's playing the expert here. Usually, when she had to work with another novice on a job she had no damn clue of, she gets pragmatic enough to mask her naivety so that the other novice didn't freak out.

As it is, she had too many setbacks for THIS particular job... One - her frail culinary skills; Two - an eccentric day that didn't quite set the mood for experiments. Three - her unsteady focus that shifted from ingredients to mobile frequently, as she desperately waited for Jalal's call. Four - panic that  rose after reading cake-disasters under comments section of video. Burnt cakes, rock-hard cakes, half-baked cakes, blown up cakes... Jeez, whatnot!

Overall... there were enough reasons to doom her task and she didn't have to add a skeptical, leg pulling assistant to it.

Thence, she answered Vasantha like a pro.

"Why not? If normal cakes can be sand-baked, definitely a chocolate cake too. Its no different you see."

She blinked for emphasis and seized the hand mixer. Sending a silent prayer, she placed the beaters in bowl, plugged the mixer and...

VROOOM!!

The next thing she knew was... sweet, sticky concoction, of butter & condensed milk, splashed all over her face, neck, her hair over the right shoulder, on her magenta overcoat, on floor... Eww!

Jodha hastily jumped back from bowl and Vasantha even more hastily jumped to Jodha's side... with a napkin.

"First turn it off Jodhamma." The amateur aide screamed, staring agape at the mixture gushing out of bowl and at Jodha's face...

One... two.. three..

And the eventual question stormed out of her laughing mouth.

"You sure you know how to bake a cake?"

Oops! So much for the expert facade!

"Somebody forgot to turn off that machine", wiping face with napkin, Ms. Fake Expert snorted. "It was on before I turned it on."

"Yes... of course!" Pursing lips so as to not offend the 'Expert Baker' with her grins, Vasantha agreed. "Also I think it doesn't harm to shift to a larger bowl."  She slyly added. "Just to be safe... not that you don't know."

Shrugging out of the butter smelling overcoat, Jodha nodded in consideration. "Right... a large bowl should do," she added after a flat stare at Vasantha's quivering lips. "...to avoid a maida face pack next time."

Apparently, for next whatever minutes, the kitchen filled with fun and puns from two novices while they worked on their first baking mission.

Upstairs... Jalal got up from couch, unable to wait any longer. It had been six minutes since he entered home, waited at kitchen entrance for one whole minute for someone's attention, of course with no luck and later treaded upstairs to make a call. Since then he was right there, in his room... sprawled on couch and doing imaginations of how Jodha would react when she found him home,  one and half hours before schedule. As he waited, he got enough of machine vrooms, vessel sounds and laughter that told him Jodha is not going to notice his presence anytime soon.

Stopping by the banister, he looked down and called on Jodha's number.  Three rings later, the vrooms from kitchen silenced.

"Hey..." He heard her from kitchen and his phone speaker. "Boarded flight?"

"No!" He kept his tone subdued, playing along. "Having a change of heart."

"Eh?" In kitchen, her dough dipped finger stopped midair. "What?"

"Yeah. Having second thoughts about flying today. How about coming tomorrow with Mom & Dad." He seriously asked as if seeking her advice. "As it is there's nothing urgent in Bangalore that can't wait another twelve hours."

An eerie silence ensued, followed by Jodha's traipse out of kitchen. She walked fast to the dining, slumped against table with crossed legs.

"Before you continue, let me warn you..." she said in hushed voice. "If this is some kind of joke you're pulling on me sir, unfortunately I'm not in the greatest mood to enjoy it. Tell me when are you coming." With her side profile posed to him, Jalal couldn't read her eyes, but the dropped shoulders threw enough signs of bleakness.

"What's wrong with your mood?" He asked, observing her frowning at her phone.

"I'll tell you when you're here."

"Tell me!" 

Jalal's baritone rang in living and this time... Jodha knew for sure its not coming from phone. She whirled on feet, spotted Jalal stylishly slanted against railing and peering down at her.

"You're home?!" Throwing hands up in air, she squealed loud - so loud that Vasantha ducked out of kitchen. "Who is home...?" The old lady was asking when she noticed Jodha rushing towards stairs. Her glances routed up and squinted on seeing Jalal. When did he come?

Surprised, she turned back to get the refreshments ready but... something made her briefly halt. Her eyes perked up again - to the pair of surprised cum amused eyes that never left Jodha's face... or perhaps the lucid curves and naked arms her extra snug (XS) fit bright-yellow-muslin-sleeveless-top-with-magenta-printed-flowers flaunted.

Donning a known smile, the elderly lady returned to her business.

"So early... and you didn't tell me?" Jodha strode up holding his gaze that hovered over her shoulders. "And so sneaky... how come I didn't hear you?"

Skintight... sleeveless... Uh huh?!

Nice move girl! But still... game on!

Jalal drawled within, lazily withdrawing his eyes from her flaunting curves. "I give it to the machine you were working with there." He gestured to the kitchen with phone. "Having amazing time, eh?" Straightening up, he shrugged. "I saw no point in disturbing your fun."

Amazing time?

Her advancing feet stalled.

Yeah... very amazing! Except for those goddamn happenings that wrecked her nerves.

Hurling him a tearing glance, she folded arms on back and stalked him step for step as he trekked backwards to his suite. "Indeed amazing time..." she grudgingly nodded, her voice turning conspicuously sweet. "I can't wait to tell you about it. Shall I?"

The intrigued boss's head cocked in attention.

"After the amazing news you left me with...no, wait... I can do better than this." She paraphrased her statement with cold, sugary savage. "After you ditched me to my fate with that amazing news and went missing for eons buddy... no... no laughing yet," she sweetly warned gauging his curving lips. "I went home."

Why are her shoulders glittering? His focus wavered. Are they always like that? Or... just a reflection of yellow silk?

Check... check... eyes on face!

"Can you guess whom I get to talk to with? The 'illustrious'..." she did mocking quotes in air. "Suguna aunty. Ten minutes Ten whole minutes I talked to her and my sugar levels shot up to 240."

She shut the door behind her with a shove of foot and answered his kinked brows. "You heard it right, not BP levels... sugar only; so excruciatingly sweet were her talks. Sudden inflow of so much pep into my body and you know what I did...?" Jalal's feet hit the coffee table. He ceased walking, so did she. Crossing arms at chest, he stood sturdy- his eyes amused and fixed. Yes, only on her face- not on those shimmering shoulder blades.

"I broke my anklets..." she looked away, soberness overtaking sarcasm for a brief moment. "The sentimental ones."

With a light shrug, she returned to sauciness. "And then... two hours later I had this amazing, mind blowing realization. In fact an eye opening - on how powerful, how resourceful, how equipped you are to manage Rasmalai from Delhi to Bangalore in two days... and here I am - a duffer who cannot manage a cake in Indira Nagar..." she threw up hand vexed.

"Really...? A one-pound eggless cake is all I asked for and I can't get even that? Do you know how powerless...how inadequate, how unequipped it made me feel?"

The listener's eyes glistened. Okay!

He had seen a temptress before. But this worked up, grudging, seductive dressed  temptress is...

Oh boy... yummy!

"I'll wait till I believe you really recognize me!

"Okay! Game on!"

Timely, he pulled back the eyes-fixed-on-face facade.

"The amazing time you saw me having in kitchen is this..." she showed her dough dipped finger. "Plan B... since Plan A got minced. God knows how this is going to turn out." She rolled eyes in prayers. "And... oh... here comes the interesting part of my 'amazing' day."

She did air quotes again, thus garnering his attention to her bare arms... again. 

Um... hmm! Nope... not falling for your ploy moves darling!

"You remember the boutique hunt I held on Monday? Remember the designer whom I landed upon after getting shelved by four designers? The lady whom I had referred to, if I rightly recall, as gracing angel descended from heaven just for me?" Jalal seemingly nodded, surely not remembering any such references, since there weren't any in real. 

"She ditched me!"

Jodha shook head in such sham despair that, despite the warning, Jalal's eyes crinkled at edges

"So all sums up to this: " she counted on fingers. "There is a birthday I don't have 'the' cake. There is a Pooja - I don't have 'the' Sari. There is dance - I don't have 'the' anklets. All this because of some duds I had to forbear and you say I'm having AMAZING time here."

She crossed arms and breathed deep. Whew! Her job is done. Dislodged all disgruntlement onto her man. Now, its his turn to take charge from here.

And Jalal did exactly that!

"Let's address it in sequence!" Slowly...very slowly, he pulled up the right sleeve, walking towards her.

Oh... payback time! She suppressed mirth behind grim face.

"I agree to disagree that I 'ditched' you for 'eons'. For, I politely left after informing you and of course, after taking a blow + a B-thing. And here I am, one and half hours before schedule - which means I'm not gone more than our usual office hours." He stopped, a foot distance away. "If you agree on that missy, I'll proceed with next predicaments."

Was his skin always this fair? Or a mere reflection of that Burgundy color?

"I thoroughly disagree on 'politely' leaving part..." she snorted. " But...for now, okay! Proceed."

"Good." He undid the first button before resuming.

"As to your 'illustrious' Suguna aunty - how about calling her from my phone and return her sweetness with some sweet B, F or D words I'm gonna lend you from my dictionary?" He watched her evilly glowing eyes and could bet she's totally in love with the idea.

"Next comes the sentimental anklets - how long does a jeweler actually take to amend broken ones? Ten minutes... or fifteen?" he asked seductively rolling left hand sleeve up and checking his s*xy sports watch. "I think I can still make time to crash stop by your home before heading to party."

Super! Jodha tipped head taking in his uber cool pronto fixes... and the sinfully charming views he presented. The V-view of unbuttoned collar, the gruff-view of unshaven jaw, the brawny-view of flexing arms - all in all, the suffocating-view of ripping muscles beneath that body hugging Burgundy shirt...

Um hmm! No touching allowed. Remember how rudely he told you to keep hands to yourself?

Okay! Who's touching? Just a little harmless ogling!

She slightly frowned, impatiently waiting for him to undo another button. Apparently, one button didn't present a satisfying view of his hairy chest.

"Let's skip to boutique here -" Jalal (un)knowingly gave what she (un)consciously asked for. "However busy your gracing angel is, I bet an extra zero on paycheck should get her working. How about sending Murali to the boutique to see to it?"

Jodha thoughtfully nodded, not thinking of extra zero option, but of the ticking time before she called - 'To hell with challenge' - and pounced onto him.

'Hey girl...' Her pride snapped. 'Hang on to me. Don't let shamelessness take over me.'

"Coming to bakers... I believe there should be someone, some corner of this city, if not in Indira Nagar... to deliver the cake you asked for." He closed in, the distance being reduced to half and the danger of her losing challenge being doubled.

"But I'll settle with plan B..." his eyes puffed with well-deliberated smokiness. "However awful it might turn out."

Seventy one kgs of bewitchery in flesh and blood!

Jodha gulped, gawking at the smoky eyes that thawed her stomach into a heat puddle. Or seventy two!

She looked away, needing a moment to hold herself from sinking on knees. Arms tightly pulled across chest, XS fitting, muslin silk, and molten heat within - she didn't realize what a spectacle she made herself of.

Jalal did!

"Nice stuff!" Jodha reluctantly agreed, checking her magenta painted nails. "Not that I wouldn't have thought about them myself. Just an eccentric day, you see. I happened to run low on wits. Anyways... let's get back there later. For now... how hungry are you? Would a sandwich do or..." Her voice trailed off.

Her forehead scrunched seeing a never seen roguishness in his restrained grins. Following his puckish stares, she peered down... and...

And her jaw hit ground!

What was that? Jodha incredulously stared at two peek-a-boo imprints... right above her tightly pulled arms.

Instantaneously, her arms unfurled.

Impulsively, her hair was pulled to front.

Irately, her eyes met his.

"SEVENTY ONE KGS OF SHAMELESSNESS IN FLESH AND BLOOD!'

She gritted, ferociously shoved the roguish grinning man and spun on heels. The dough on her finger settled on left side of his shirt!

Chi. No muslin silk again. She flurried towards door.

And sue the lingerie brand she's in. She cringed, reminiscing how exposed she felt under his rowdy stare.

What happens inside stays inside! No friggin exposure to whole world. That damn product definitely had to be sued for terribly failing in its job.

"Umm."

From behind, Jalal's mouth made a loud, luscious licking sound. "So soft... so silkyyy... so chocloatey..."

Jodha looked over shoulder and found him licking dough off his shirt. With a curt head turn, she lunged straight to door.

Silky? Is that even a term for cake dough?

"For your information..." Jalal's smug voice scraped her nerves. "Its seventy two. And yes... a sandwich would do."

Unwitting to let him have the last word, she retorted snarky. "Oh yeah... while I'm back with your sandwich Mr. Seventy-two-kgs-of-brassiness, try to remember if you're forgetting to update me on something."  She force opened the door but Jalal's hand was quick to gently slam it to closure. He blocked the door by leaning against its frame and Jodha took a back step.

"Nothing much to update..." He coolly crossed arms and feet. "Khan uncle was 'kind of' apologetic for his behavior." He mimicked her air quotes. "He 'kind of' clarified why he did what he did and asked me to support Aliya like I once used to." He laid it down simply. "He wants me to be there for her..."

Okay! Jodha went perfectly still. Next?!

Breathing...? You still there?

Check... check... check...

"...whenever need arises." Jalal completed his statement... and...

Phew! She breathed, immensely gratified that breathing didn't fail her yet.

Okay! So there is a clause here. Good! She perched head up in consideration.

He should be there for his ex-wife whenever need arises. She unconsciously nodded. Yep! She can live with that, as long as Mr. or Ms. whatsoever need arises once in... say...ten years?

Suddenly, she grew generous.

...or five years! That'd also do.

"Apprehensions?" Jalal pried in, amusedly watching her still pose. "Or questions?"

"Questions... " Jodha saucily held up a finger. "Only one."

"Cheese or no cheese in your sandwich?"

That question obviously caught Jalal off guard. "Excuse me?"

"Cheese... or no cheese?" Jodha gladly repeated, folding arms at back. My, my! Didn't she just bowl him down with that?

"That's all?" Jalal shot up a brow in disbelief. How could that be all? There has to be something coming. Something like - 'What did you say' or 'Did you say yes?'

"That's all!" she shrugged chilled. Don't I know what anyone would answer a man in ICU? Her confident demeanor voiced.

Wow!

Suddenly, Jalal found his girl all the more alluring.

"Cheese in my sandwich."

His eyes finished doing another tour of her charms, pointedly stalling at her chest for longer than needed. "I loveee... cheesy stuff."

Pff! Jodha rolled eyes at his gall.

"So much for the reclusive-good-boy charade you put up."  She whacked him out of her way and went for the door.

"Oh, but not more than the nun-dressed-girl charade you put up." He slammed the door firmly shut and called - Screw the challenge!

"Sleeveless and all, huh?"  He whisked her into his arms, his mouth crash kissing her shoulder and there she was...

...doing breath checks again!

Oh... God!

hemakeerti thumbnail

Part2 continued...

11:00pm, Ahmed guest house.

"Abdul bhai.."

Making a fan with the currency he just won, the winning-hand called out. "Remind me of this..." he teasingly fanned. "...if I happen to say - 'sorry, I can't make it' - for another party."

"Next party..." Abdul grunted, hitting the Ping-Pong ball with vengeance. "I'll keep in mind to ditch you an invitation... you money-f*cker."

"Bang on bro!"  Nine other men cheered, seconding Abdul for the title he devised. Food, drinks, DJ... cards, billiards, ping-pong... fun, frolic and folly - the sports lounge of Ahmed guesthouse appeared more like an elite mad club with thirteen sophisticated, swanky, controlled lunatics in it.  

Having lost three hands in a row to a particular money-f**ker, Abdul leapt to ping-pong table. He first had to expel the frustration of three losses, before his hands lay on cards again. Going breakeven with two wins and two losses Chetan still hooked to cards - very determined to go head to head with lady luck.

"When was the last time you joined us? "Another friend from another table mocked the usually missing-head. "1947... when India became independent or 1962 when we're fighting China?" 

"Wow! Someone misses me so much here." The winning-hand flashed a grin at his instigator. "What was it? Two years... when we were drinking and dancing on beaches of Goa?" He verified with Chetan, sitting across him.

"Right. Two years." Chetan agreed referring to his bachelor party in Goa.

"I only missed Abdul's bachelor party." Folding hands at nape, he relaxed in seat watching Chetan shuffle.  "I was so looking for boss's bash last year, but then..." he threw head back and winked at Jalal. "A lot of good stuff happened. Isn't it boss?"

Jalal winked back, straightening up with his cue stick after a strike.

"Oh... nothing like being a bachelor again!"

With a shot of vodka in hands, a man staggered to Jalal's side. "Nothing like you bossing your life. You're lucky bro. Divorce is a blessing. It doesn't happen to all. Look at me." The drunk head grumbled. "Imagine one's wife calling every fifteen minutes to tutor you on what to drink, what not to drink, how much to drink and how much not to drink....please..." He irately threw up hand and stumbled. "...someone tell that lady that I manage forty people under me. This is after all, what... whisky."

"Vodka." 

Jalal dryly corrected, trying to help his friend stand straight.

"Whatever!"

The boozer stabilized on his own, refusing Jalal's help. 

"The point is... you're lucky to have no such woman in life. You Prithvi..." he turned to Jalal's billiards partner. "I warn you... never ever get there. Altars aren't altars- they're slaughterhouses. It's strange that no altar carries this statutory warning - MARRIAGE IS INJURIOUS TO INDEPENDENCE. MARRIAGE KILLS." He made a gesture of throat-cut and the lounge filled with wolf whistles.

"What a line!" 

"You slayed it bhai!

"Golimaar line... !"

"Thank you... thank you..." He waved to his audience. "On that note..." he tipped his glass towards Jalal. "Three cheers to your regained freedom." He toasted and frowned. "That sounds familiar. Did I toast you before this?

Pursing lips, Jalal coolly winked. "Yep. Twice!"

Considering this for a moment, the languid friend grinned. "If I were to pick one quality from you..." he glanced down at Jalal's emptied flute. "...it'd be your cool headedness. No matter how many shots go into you or how many digs people take at you, you stay always cool man."  He winked and walked away tipsy, leaving an amused Jalal smugly smiling at a similar reference coming from a certain darling dearest.

"I have a question." She had asked, snuggled against his neck - her red fingertips doing lazy caresses on his chest - precisely at the spot she hit him with phone that morning. The minute Jodha realized the shoulder fondling is going the devastating way, she simply turned into Jalal, threw arms around his neck, and silently sought his help to cool her down.

Seeking help from the same man who wreaked havoc?! Cute!

Jalal's lips curved into a fond grin. He kissed her pleading eyes, gyred her into his warm body and began striking her arm in slow, drawled caresses. 

Same body... same fingers! Two poles apart effects.

Jodha planted a soft thank you kiss to his jaw before ducking her head into his neck curvature. 

"How do you manage to be so cool?" she asked, still with drawing patterns on the hit spot. "Always in full control, always in charge of situation, never losing wits..."  she sighed... looking up and stepping back. Folding arms at stomach, she appeared determined to pry the secret out of him. "How do you do that Jalal?"

Curling up his right leg against the door, Jalal brought her hair front - to shoulder traps - so that the long locks covered evidences of his fondling. "That sounded nearly envious, sweetie."

"I've a reason to be," she pouted. "I feel so stupid doing this huffing puffing while you stand me watching... as cool as an ice bucket. It pricks my ego, you know?"

Chuckling, Jalal chucked her under chin. "Big fat ego, eh?" His forearms rested on either of her shoulders.

"You don't have to be always cool buddy." He leaned in imparting his trade secret. "But when your counterpart is hotheaded, you definitely need to play it cool. Because..." he winked.  "...two hotheads never get the job done."

"Ahaan!" Jodha drawled, taking in his secret... and scent.  "Thanks for the tip buddy. Going forward... between two of us," she gestured to them with index finger. "I'll play the cool head."

"Nah. Never!" Jalal's arm dropped from her right shoulder to hip, drawing her in. "Between two of us..." he imitated her gesture. "You'll always be the hothead."

Making a barrier between their bodies by fixing palms on his chest, she suspiciously demanded. "Why is it so?"

"Because..." his nose ran along her cheek. "...certain huffing puffing, grumpy girl makes very... very sizzling, tempting... jeez!" He swore, scrunching nose. "What is this?" he sniffed the spot where it smelled extremely drugging. He had inhaled this fragrance for first time when she stood half foot away from him. Since then he had been breaking heads, yet couldn't figure out what that familiar-but-not-so-familiar smell is.

"New perfume?"

"Yes. Butter & condensed milk flavor."

Jodha delivered the pun so candidly that Jalal instantly shot back, checking her seriousness in that answer.

"Home made perfume." She pursed lips. "Very easy to prepare. Put butter and condensed milk in a bowl. Leave hand mixer on and... BOOM" she boom-ed with fingers. "Butter perfume all over you."

"Oh, yeah... butter!"

He now recognized the fragrance, but just for additional confirmation, he lightly sucked the sweet spot on her cheek.

Yes! Butter only. He sucked some more.  Sweet butter!  He testified, after some more sucking. Sweet & soft too...

Sweet... soft... silky...Darn!

He sucked in a large portion of her cheek, unable to get out of the spell. This couldn't be any butter. For the effect it's having on him, it had to be some dangerous butter drug.

"Sweetie..." he whispered against her cheek, thick and rugged. "Where else did you spray this butter perfume?"

Like hell she'd say that?

Jodha's fists bunched his shirt, obviously to nudge him. But her mind was so busy dealing with the spasms his husky sweetie caused, that it totally forgot to send shove-the-man signals to her hands.

"This man should carry a sign board." She helplessly cursed. "Huskiness kills."

Jodha cleared throat, poorly trying not to encourage him with her drugged voice. "If I'm any wise... I wouldn't answer that."

"If you're any wise, Sweetheart," his nose grazed her chin. "You'd just say it... than letting ME find out."

OKAY! She considered this threatening while her unruly hands worked on their way to his nape. "Still..." she lurched head back, boldly daring him. 

"Not saying!"

Jalal stared, first at the defiance in her eyes and then at the acceptance in her garlanded arms.

"Smart little minx!" Shaking head, he grinned... ran a hand down her bottom and lifted her up... till the base of her throat leveled with his mouth. Just before his lips lounged down, he whispered her a cheesy message.

"Churn-the-butter game thus begins darling."

One... two... three... four...

Five seconds...were all it took for Jodha to lose. The deft player marked his win when his heavily breathing girl moaned...

Oh...J... pleaseee!!!

"Are you sure you're gonna take that strike tonight?"  Prithvi quipped bemused. "Just asking... so that I move on to cards or Ping-Pong. Unfortunately I'm not one of your fangirls to happily ogle that s*xy-bent-forever pose of yours for eternity."

Not falling for that goading, Jalal finished the strike, successfully pocketing one of his two leftover object balls. Knowing that he wouldn't get his chance to strike, as boss had returned to action, Prithvi eased against the table.

"Mushy thoughts, huh?"

Before Jalal responded, Abdul intervened. "Hitting bar for another round, joining me?" He asked Jalal, leaving the law-abiding officer to his no-more-than-government-permitted-alcohol-level policy since Prithvi planned to drive back home.

"No." Jalal refused, aiming for the eighth ball.

"I was given two options - either to stash a barrel of liquor down my throat and stay here. Or to limit it to two shots and drive back home." He positioned cue for final strike.

"I did four. So no more." His right arm lurched, black ball pocketed and he stood up winking at Prithvi.

Game over!

"What?!"  Abdul held up hands, mock shocked. "Options...? Here! Here!"

Devilishly grinning, he banged on Jalal's back. "Bro... I'm so up for this. Watching the mighty boss roasted and burned with rules and regulations - Man, its going to be so f**king fun." Evilly rubbing hands, the rouge's incarnate lowered his voice to a wicked whisper. "Tell Jodha that I sooo... love her for this."

"Stick your love up your..."

The cool boss gladly mouthed the location for his friend, throttled him towards bar and moved on to arrange next set of pool, grinning.

"You actually surprised me with that." The amused officer shrugged. "You abiding to gharelu rules and all... somehow you don't make that picture man."

Jalal peeked up from table... a little flushed.

What is it today? A sly smile escaped his lips. Jalal's-throwback-Wednesday?

"Its not about rules," he finished stacking balls and walked to head side of table. "She fears and despises drunk & drive. There is no way I can take off her fears, the least I can do is to not add to it."

"Oh!" Having heard of Jodha's brother's tragic demise, Prithvi nodded in understanding. 

At the end of second game, with Jalal winning again and Prithvi vowing to payback in two sets of Tennis, a game the latter mastered, the friends scooted towards bar for non alcoholic beverages.

"I think I have a birthday gift for you." The ACP mystically winked, twirling his white grape spritzer.

"Gift?"

Jalal asked evidently surprised, for, the four of them didn't do gifts... not even for special occasions like weddings. "As in?"

"As in a name!"  Prithvi thoughtfully bit on lip, piquing Jalal's curiosity.

"Whose name?" 

"Jodha's stalker!" The officer's voice dropped to whisper. "And perhaps her parents' murderer!"

The glass in Jalal's hand slowly rested on bar counter.

"Who's he?"

~~~

Shyamkumar... bank clerk... forgery... arrest... revenge... murder! Jalal's fingers mechanically handled cards but his mind was still processing the information Prithvi shared.

It was ten minutes past twelve. Cake was cut, bar was closed and cards game was at its soaring peak. With all hands on desk, the stakes were running high. There is tension in air on who's going to turn the cards down and call the pile of notes accumulated at center of table. Any other day, Jalal's complete focus would've been on that one last card he needed to claim the stakes but today there was other pressing matter deluging his head.

They've a name now, but a long way before stamping the name - 'convicted'. Also there is another one, the dangerous head, still lurking behind the bushes. No clue on how long before they have a name for that head too!

Finding the card the third hand just dropped totally useless, his fingers laid on the center spread deck and...

Peep... peep! His cell phone beeped and the faint worry line on his forehead inadvertently smoothened. He knew the sender of the text even before he pulled his phone out.

It had to be her!

That evening, before he left for party, she turned off onscreen notifications for 'safety & privacy' purposes and set a special tone for her messages.

Clever little nymph!

He checked the card he picked, injected it after a spade 9, and dropped another one - upside down.

SHOW!

He looked at his mates smirking and welcoming the tirade of outrage.

Abbe...saala... half billion turnover isn't enough? How much more will you loot?

F**k you man... Seriously... I was just one card away!

Lafoot... Did you plan this month employee paychecks on us?

Next time you invite me to this mugging... I'm gonna stick the invitation up your ass buddy!

Enjoying the blast, Jalal swiped his phone expecting a text message, but what was waiting him was a picture message. Specifically...

A collage of cake, candles and kohl filled eyes, her kohl filled eyes - with a subtle caption -

Awaiting you!

Wow!

A message warming him up is something Jalal hadn't experienced before. He stared at her eyes... temporarily ignoring the mayhem around him. He didn't know much about kohls and eyeliners but one thing he knew - Whatever it was, it successfully accomplished its job of highlighting the doe shape to perfection!

His gaze shifted to cake and a known smile crossed his lips.

"Certainly not before 1:00am..." he told her when she had asked when he'd return. "And certainly not before they empty my pockets. There are some serious players waiting for payback there. But if you tell me what's OUR plan for the night," he smirked sheepish, "I will think to make it early."

"Nothing much" she followed him to car. "Cake & candles, DJ & dance!"

"Dance?" he turned back suspicious. "Who's dancing here?" 

Obviously not she, as she didn't have her super power anklets!

Jodha poked him in the chest "You..." -  and then cheekily whirled her finger in air, rolling her eyes along. "To my tunes!"

Sassy idiot!

He checked the cake again.

Not bad! 

For a first time baker that she is, it actually turned out surprisingly well.

He was about to lock his phone and throw a convincing departure excuse to his friends when another message popped up.

Heated argument going on here!

His brows cringed in confusion. A long pause later, he received another picture message.

A picture of a pink rose and a pair of pouting pink lips facing each other!

Need expert opinion. Who is pinker?

Whattt?

"Be right back!" he excused from the group and swiftly stormed out, with three pairs of intrigued eyes tailing him. Once outside, the dark night welcomed him with a thunder and a gush of moist air. Free from scrutiny and noise... he peacefully gauged the picture.

A pink rose lay down on a table; Jodha's chin was propped on her fingers and at level with the lying rose. The picture was taken from left, showing a side profile of pouting, lipstick filled lips nearly kissing the rose.

Ahem? His lips thinned in amusement. Teasing me minx?!

He zoomed in the pic, getting a close view of her lips. Funnily, they reminded him of strawberries he used to find in the US. Yes... fully ripen, delicious berries that brightly shined on outside and were excruciatingly juicy inside...

His finger unconsciously grazed her lower lip.

Only difference is the berries there were red and here... pink!

Verdict will be announced soon... in person.

He texted her back- his dexterous mind helping him with step-by-step process of devouring a strawberry.

Close your mouth on it...

Lick it for a moment...

Slowly bite into the fruit...

Suck all juice...

Munch...  and live the experience!

Coming home Sweetie!

~~~

'12:50am'

Dropping the matchbox into kit, Jodha checked her silver strapped watch.

He should be almost home.

She tossed a satisfying glance at the candle lit lounge, dim purple ceiling lights, and flower decorated center table. Planning to take the cake out of fridge right before Jalal arrived, she dialed him, waited till the last ring and dialed him again.

Pursing lips at  unanswered calls, the vivacious lady sprinted downstairs - the pleats of baby pink sari falling around her in smooth folds. She knew for sure Jalal was on the way home, for, he had called her after getting into car. When he joked about adding some butter-drug to Vasantha's milk and put her to unconscious sleep, she had told him she found a better alternative i.e sending Vasantha home.

"You sent her home? You're alone now?"

She didn't quite understand the reason but she could bet he sounded almost angry when he should actually be happy for her so 'thoughtful' act.

"Haan... there was some function in her neighbor's home. Her son had called..." she confusedly explained. "But she refused to go. Only after my insistence she left; she'll be back by breakfast time tomorrow. And when am I alone? The security guard is still there na? Why do you sound so miffed?"

Because there is a pervert in town stalking you!

"Not miffed..." Jalal corrected his tone. "Guilty- that I indulged into my fun leaving you alone."

She didn't completely buy in that reason, but there is nothing she could do about it either.

"Don't worry. There's a long night to make it up to me." She thoughtlessly said and bit on tongue.

12:20! Jodha checked the timing of his last call.

30 minutes since he started. Rain slows down driving. She explained herself. He'll be here any minute.

She strolled aimlessly from study to living and back n forth, doted on the cake in fridge for n+1th time, took few more selfies... and when she was out of pastimes, she dialed Jalal again.

She received no response and it got her thinking.

He's driving! That means any call to his phone will be directed to Jaguar's Bluetooth audio. Not an ideal phone-in-silent-mode-and-I-didn't-hear-rings situation too. Then... what's happening?

Resting head back, she closed eyes, focusing on the alternatives to reach out to Jalal.

Call Abdul or Chetan or Prithvi - But she had none of their numbers.

Call guesthouse  - She didn't have that number either. Perhaps, the security had but what will she know from guesthouse - that Jalal left for home - which she already knew.

Go in search of Jalal - Stupid idea. He'll strangle her neck for stepping out alone, at night. 

Basically there's nothing she could do than- sit and stew!

After what felt like an eternity, she took phone to hands, only to realize her last call was done - just two minutes ago. 

Tension and time - born rivals! Always working on opposite sides!

She knew if Jalal had checked his phone, he'd have returned her calls and since he didn't, it meant her next call is also going to be in vain. Nevertheless, her fingers tapped his contact.

Pick up... pick up!

Her right leg bounced while she anxiously waited. Pick up Jalal. I don't need a midnight suspense drama as finishing touch to my exciting day!

Uh hmm! No response yet!

Time- 1:10!

His birthday started one hour ten minutes ago but the birthday cake was still sitting in fridge, the candles were halfway through extinguishing and the girl he was supposed to have exclusive celebration with, was there - seated on a porch step and staring at the distant iron gates - alone, weary and wary!

For the distraught girl, last twenty minutes had been the toughest twenty minutes in times immemorial. She had to invest every ounce of her willpower to not let her berserk mind take a nasty path to a specific night, last October. And it wasn't just the ugly parallels between nights she had to combat against- there were these ugly voices too that cracked her spirits.

She has a frail fate...

Why is it happening to her? Get her horoscope checked

You're ominous to wed... not to bed...

I lost all men who called me Meenu... don't call me that!

During every such ugly run, she firmly held on to strings of optimism, trying her best to kill negativity that nearly succeeded in reducing her to a cowardice.

I'll not stop loving you even if you're ominous...

Jo... my lady luck. You wished me 'good luck' and I survived this semester exams...

Raghu's fate changed after his daughter's birth. She brought him luck...

Raghu... see Jodha's face before going out on any significant work. She's a lucky charm.

Yes... yes! She repeatedly assured herself, wiping tears off her cheeks. I'm not any bad curse. Neither 'Meenu' is a bad omen. It's just an absurd belief. Suppose, I let everyone in this world call me Meenu, will everyone die? No, right?

There were times when people found me lucky, times when relatives found my horoscope great... Yes. She's not ill-fated, not unlucky... not a doom... not a curse...

She repeated the mantra, until her will and wits died a slow death... with every ticking second.  A nagging fear viscously seeped into her nerves, poisoning all her vigor and valor - bit by bit. At the end of it, she was left so dazed, distraught and unsettled... that she began doubting herself.  

You are no 'bad curse' but - the fact that Gautam died in an accident at night, the fact that your parents died in an accident, again at night... cannot be totally ignored, right?

'Meenu' is certainly not a bad omen but - the fact two men who called you so died and the third one went missing cannot be brushed off, right?

It's not entirely 'bad you' but it could be some bad combination, like - Meenu, a vehicle and midnight drive!  

Right - twelve to two midnight should be a bad time for you. It should be the time when your doom stars are in full potency suppressing your lucky charms. Else how come both accidents happen in same time frame?

And now... third...?

NO! NO! NO!

Don't even get there!

Trust your friend, if not your fate. He isn't heartless.  He had taken enough from you. He will not take more!

1:13pm

OKAY! I'm a curse!

The despondent girl still sat in that dim lit porch, feeling more doomed than before after the ten plus calls she did in past three minutes. Contrary to the cacophonous tears the sky shed, her mourning was silent... and cold.

But that is to MY men! To the men, directly related to me.

She looked up at the lightening sky, challenging and bargaining. You see there is a condition here. You can take away only people from my family... whom I share a relation with. Not Jalal...

Her eyes twitched at the sudden gust of a pool of tears.

Because... Jalal is not mine! We're no way linked up - he's not my brother or father or fiance or husband. Technically... you can't do any harm to him, right?!

She tried turning HIS game on HIM... but somewhere deeply within, she feared toying with HIM.

OKAY! I give up...

If this is some joke you're pulling on me...  here I'm... laugh at me.

If this is some challenge you're playing against me... here I'm... defeated.

If this is some lesson you're teaching me...

To the numbed hands, it took a moment to perceive vibration on her phone.

To the passive ears, it took longer than a moment to hear the ring tone.

And to the clogged eyes, it took many more moments to identify the name of caller.

JALAL!

Her heart leapt, lips curved, eyes shed some more tears and fingers galloped to press answer button... but just in time she slowed down, peeking up again... at the dark, frightening sky.

A similar memory from past deluged her head - memory of an anonymous man calling from her father's phone.

--Vrinda-- thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
M I watching some dream 😲 update is coming 😲
kattylovestammy thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
After a long time... I m gng to read ur update... Wow.. Make it soon akka..waiting...
manu_ak thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Ye res aapke kisi kaam ka nahi hai ... 1nce u update ppl won't give u chance even to rply to the comments ... you start making new thread now only ... this gonna end in 2 days 
--Vrinda-- thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: manu_ak

Ye res aapke kisi kaam ka nahi hai ... 1nce u update ppl won't give u chance even to rply to the comments ... you start making new thread now only ... this gonna end in 2 days

arre there can b chances of extra long part 2 like last chapter
manu_ak thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: --Vrinda--

arre there can b chances of extra long part 2 like last chapter

really hope so ... after reading this part i was like .. bas itna hi ?? N see the note there 2nd part tomorrow night no mood to edit ðŸ˜¡ such a tease you are Di ...
Will b waiting for the 2nd part ... 
lashy thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
you know darling... I'll tell you a secret...

I'm not an avid reader... so, when people tell me that they want to read longer chapters... that I shouldn't stop at 6000 words etc etc, I've never understood why they felt so...

Today, I understood precisely what they meant! When I came to the last line of 41 part 1! 
Edited by lashy - 6 years ago