Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

hemakeerti thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 7 years ago

Chapter 38

"Many a times I make a plan and then fate makes another plan for me" softly massaging the puffed knuckles, Jodha sighed. Rocking the swing with his dangling foot, Jalal amusedly watched his girl tending and talking. Seated across him, with legs curled under knees and seriously giving her explanations... "Ah!! Jooo..." His demanding heart moaned for more of her but the always on-guard sensibility immediately condemned. "Darn you!! Focus on her words, not on their source!!"  Obediently heeding to the inner voice, Jalal drifted his gaze to a safer direction - Down to her fingers.

"When I left from office, I left with complete confidence of returning home by Seven but", she paused to blow air and warm up his chilled fingers. "Little I knew fate reserved this day for another dose of your wrath," glimpsing up, she winked.

"And you seem to have no qualms about it?" bringing the dangling leg up and resting back, Jalal sheepishly probed. "No sharp retorts, no slamming doors on face, no cold shoulders... You're exceptionally calm and dealt the situation with great poise. Why missy?"

Swaying body, studying eyes and teasing smirks - Jodha read the mischief his posture oozed.  Tossing him a mystical smile, she looked down to the position of their hands - Her RIGHT palm on top of his RIGHT palm and tiny droplets of melted ice dripping from her palm to his. Only she, being a Hindu, perceived the poignancy of that gesture and unconsciously her eyes closed to stabilize the overwhelming sentiments. In that meaningful silence, she also heard the leaves rustle, wind whoosh, her heart throb and then - her eyes opened.

"Three months back it was your employee Jodha for you", feeling the impulse to turn her palm onto his, like making an oath, she spoke. "Today it's YOUR MEENU for you!!" She looked up, smiled at the obvious awe in his eyes and shyly bowed down.

The instant her admission sank in, WOW was the first word his mind cried and somersault was the first stunt his heart did. He knew he has lost count of the numerous times he fell in love with her, yet he didn't shy to admit to himself that he fell for her once again - deeply, madly and completely!!

"Your Meenu!"! His fingers gripped her palm. "My Meenu!!" His legs shifted. "Ah!! She admitted she's MINE..." He lurched her up on to him in one smooth leap, "...AND SHE IS ONLY MINE!!"  The porcelain bowl that slithered down Jodha's hands clanged on floor, thus seconding his authoritative claim. Long before she came to terms, Jodha was arrested in his arms, her head was angled and her black depths became the object of muse for his scurrying gazes. Clenching his shirt for the much-needed balance, she angelically smiled and wisely stayed silent, not disturbing his thirsty intake of her resplendence or whatsoever he's been reveling in.

Silent breaths, silent beats, silent breeze - except for the occasional honks, the night got filled with arbitrary silence.  Though little puzzled by his riveting gazes, Jodha didn't rattle the serenity of the moment. Splaying fingers on his broad chest, she focused on the volumes his dark eyes spoke.

"Why ME?!!" was the question in either pairs of eyes and both knew they're short of the befitting answer. If they were to answer it, they've to settle for only one word - Destiny!! Sighing, Jalal tugged her face to crook of his neck and indulged into contemplation... of FUTURE. Wrapping hand round his nape Jodha too drowned into contemplation... of PAST.

Passing cloud!! He began gently stroking her hair. "This peace, this bliss cannot be another passing cloud. This HAS to be perennial. I can't let an evil stranger direct our lives. Whoever it is, he has to get his due soon... very soon!!"

"Share it with Jodha!!" Prithvi's recommendation rang again.

How wise is it? Perhaps he's right... her involvement may help solve the problem quicker. But how? How'd I reveal it without knowing her reaction for sure? What if she flees believing her presence is dangerous to everyone in her vicinity? He recalled numerous encounters with her till date where his predictions on her reactions went wrong.

For his appreciation, she retaliated with resignation!!

For his indignation, she reciprocated with toleration!!

When he expects her to be accessible, she forbids him!!

And when he expects her to forbid, she becomes accessible!!

Completely immersed in thoughts, he missed perceiving the pressure on his nape, labored breaths against his neck and the warm dampness on his skin.

Now that he's planning for a life with her, no wonder if she flees to seclusion!!

If only his girl's mind was like a mirror - plain and see through!!

If only the girl in his arms, and her actions were less enigmatic and more predictable!!

He dotingly glimpsed the cushioned form imbricated on him.

What an incomprehensible idiot have I hooked myself with!! Helplessly sighing and sweetly swearing, Jalal gave a punishing kiss to the canny brains for tumbling him into trying situations... ALWAYS. Just when he's deepening his kiss into her hairs, Jodha violently shot back - her eyes popping out in raw wonderment.

~~~

Passing cloud!! Jodha glimpsed at sky, visualizing a fuzzy image of her parents in the vacuum. Jalal's anger is like passing cloud Maa - very short lived. And his love is like monsoon cloud - damp, dark and intense - one can't help but drench in its showers. A year back when you asked for my choice of man I didn't have the right answer. Today I have one and here he is...!!

Her lips carried the proudest of smiles as she silently screamed.

How do you find him Maa? You like him, right? Why not? He's very much like you when it comes to chastising. She softly chuckled. "I wish Jalal happened to me when you were there. I wish I saw your daze when I first told you I'm in love" She smiled imagining her mom's face, "...that too with a man of stark contrast to your choices. I bet it'd have been a definite NO but for my sake you'd have accepted him and once you acquainted with him, I'd also bet you'd have thanked me for bringing home a son, not a son-in-law", she blinked back the tears. "And Dad... you'd have thanked me for bringing home an equally intelligent partner for your 'Economy' discussions."

A euphoric smile lit her gloomy eyes up.

How ecstatic you'd have been to see someone loving your daughter as unconditionally as you!! How proud you'd have been introducing this smart aristocrat as your son-in-law!!

How contented you'd have been on giving my hand to Jalal in wedding...

She ceased envisioning, tore gaze from sky and turned more into Jalal. Drawing laboured breaths, she crushed the never-fulfilling wishes budding in her heart, muffled the loud cry burgeoning in her throat and constricted the hot tears from spilling down her cheeks - A few moments of stillness in thoughts, a few strokes of caress from Jalal's fondling fingers and she recovered. Diverting her thoughts, she focused on Jalal's soothing on her head and it reminded her of something else - Her wet hand on HIS a while ago!!

"I know I'm sounding excessively stupid and overly dreamy by saying this but Maa..." she looked up again, smiling at her own idiocy, "That moment... when droplets of water dripped from my palm to his... do you know how exactly I felt?" she slipped into trance. "With rustle of leaves as Vedic hymns and gentle breeze as your blessings, with my throbbing beats as Shehnai and moonlight like holy fire...that exact moment, I felt I WAS TAKEN!!" Her eyes became heavy - with dreams and tears.

According to Hindu philosophy, if a girl gets married within a year of her parents' demise, the virtue of kanyadaan goes to parents. She remembered what Prameela said once. Smiling, she blinked to clear her vision. "Though an illusionary Kanyadaan it was... I wish and pray you both are credited with its virtue" She stared into space for another long moment and sighed, giving her dulled spirits a chirpy push thereafter. "Maa... see how effortlessly and pricelessly we finished the first ritual of wedding" She winked. "Two more rituals - oath on head and Mangal sutra and we'll be pennilessly wedd..."

Her grin vanished into a gasp!! It took a moment for her to register what's happening on her head and when it did, it so dazzled her that she violently shot back - her eyes popping out in raw wonderment. Jalal was kissing on her head, just when 'oath on head' is surging in her mind. How coincidental?!

"What?" Stupefied by the bizarre expression her face carried, Jalal asked.

"What what..." She batted lids. "What were you doing?" She quizzed and it was his turn to look bizarre.

What did I do?

He frowned trying to remember if his hands laid on any untoward places of her body. To be double sure, he checked the position of his hands - one on her back and one on her shoulder - which previously was on her head and now dropped to shoulder after her sudden jerk.

Nothing inappropriate with hands!!

Satisfied, he glanced at the rest of his body, which lay beneath hers, as obediently as ever - trying its best not to kindle at her every slightest movement.

Nothing inappropriate with his body too!! He glimpsed up confused. When a girl lies atop, no man alive could behave as decent as he currently is. Then what on earth is she accusing him of?

He opened mouth to voice his defense but then came another wild reaction from her. A turbulent turn on to his body, a brutal crash of her chest into his and then her melodious laughter. Not knowing what exactly is happening; Jalal numbly stared at the head shaking on his shoulder.

Bunching his shirt, Jodha tried to get a grip on herself but she couldn't. Firstly it was Jalal's super cute frowned face while checking the placement of his hands that crackled her. And then it was her very eccentric thoughts that amplified the fun. Two out of three rituals done, so am I now two third wedded?!  She collapsed onto him laughing, utterly oblivious to the friction she's evoking with her quaver.

Jeez!! Ya Allah!! Hey Ram!!  Jalal swore on all forms of Gods, struggling to refrain his hands from tugging her hips to his. IDIIIOOOTTT!!! If only you realize what you're doing!! He drew a strained breath and helplessly tossed beneath her, not knowing exactly where to position his hands. For, he could bet, his restrain would vanish in thin air if he were to touch her now. "It takes ten recitals of Quran to be decent and twenty cold showers to remain calm under such searing situation." Dispelling his unnerving passion, he looked for the badly needed distraction and the shimmering metal that just slithered down to his waist offered the perfect one. Picking it up, he cautiously lifted Jodha by her shoulders, still wondering what got her crazy.

Preparing for his interrogation on her absurdity, Jodha too expelled the laughter and sat up beside him, in the cozy space between swing's backrest and he. Drawling knees and returning to sitting position, Jalal darted an amused cum curious glance at the girl wiping her eyes, inwardly deciding on what to start with - a question on her first weirdness or the second!!

"I don't know what I did..." he blended both curiosities into one question, "...that first stunned you and then cracked you up" he asked grinning, "So much so that you shook till your chain unhooked and fell off." He showed his palm and Jodha, who was wiping the laughter tears off her eyes, froze in her place. Gold chain? A dreading chill ran down her spine as if she just came to face with an apparition. With evident fright, she shifted glances from Jalal's palm to his face. Or Mangalsutra?

"What?" again perplexed by another extreme reaction from her, Jalal shook her. "What's wrong with you Jo?"

"That one..." Her parched throat didn't help much. "That chain..." she mumbled.

"Yours!" he extended his palm but she seemed to have no intention of taking it. "It slipped off your neck just now."

"Now?" she instantly shot back. "But how?"

"How do I know how?" Frowning at her ridiculous questions and freakish behavior, and seeing her not moving to take it, Jalal proceeded to put it where it originally belonged. Jodha saw his hands moving to her neck but she lacked the will and vigor to yank back.  Angels or ghosts?! She gave an alarmed scan around her. Who are those paranormal bodies listening to every word of my mind? Unconsciously she looked up at sky and by the time she looked down, Jalal was done hooking the chain.

What? Third ritual done?!!  She blankly stared at the pendent hovering from her chain, and then at Jalal's hands. Am I just wedded?! Her sides quivered as another bout of irrepressible laughter bubbled up. Jalal, who's not oblivious to the quirk on her lips, puzzled at what was so funny about hooking a chain.

"Wedding done..." She clamped mouth to avoid scaring Jalal with another fist of silly giggles. What next? Wedding nig...  Her hands moved to head, clutching it tight as if that'd stop her brain from completing the word. First time ever, she was so terrified by the absurdity of happenings that she feared to think of anything at that moment, even for fun. What if whatever she fantasies now comes true!!

"Jodhaa, do you realize how weirdly you're..." Jalal was still scowling when Jodha brazenly sprang to feet, and to his horror, jumped off the swing - with lips sealed and head clutched. "Hey Jo..." he screamed but she ran without looking back. Flabbergasted, he too leapt down, trying to connect the shut mouth and clumsy run into something meaningful. "Puke?" He wavered for a moment not knowing if he has to follow or wait for her, nevertheless, he resolved to check on her. His gait towards her room halted when he saw her returning in as much speed as she left.

"Jo..." he took two brisk steps only to be bombarded by her pacing body.

"I'm extremely sorry for leaving you this way..." Her incoherent voice came from his behind. "Tonight, I'm suffering from Acute Chronic Eccentric Imagination disorder..."

"Acute what?" trying to see her face, Jalal asked troubled. 

"Forget it,"  she bit lips to contain the giggles. "The point is, don't come after me to check on me. I'm fine and I'll be super fine by morning..." she yanked back to show her smiling face and calm him down. As expected, his worried brows straightened.

"I'll see you in the morning, Good night!!" Raising on toes, she quickly pecked his cheek, "and thank you so much sweetheart", she gave a long kiss on his other cheek, lurched out of his hug and fled, leaving him wonder what was he thanked for.

Sweetheart?!! Touching his wet cheek, Jalal stood glancing at the fleeing form -  a boyish grin adorning his lips. After every weird thing said and done in last five minutes, he had ample reasons to stop her but it was one word from her that held him back.

Imagination?!  His brows quirked. Didn't she say that? He thoughtfully moved to his suite. What was it she imagined so bizarre? He recalled when it all started and his boyish grin turned roguish. "With she on my top there could be only one thing to imagine..." He smirked and crouched on bed taking the estranged laptop along.  "One kiss was all it took to transform my innocent idiot into rowdy rascal. Morning, she had no clue of the exercise I was talking about and by evening she's already imagining it?! What if we happen to share one more kiss?"

There was half done mail correspondence awaiting his attention but the overwhelmed mind didn't like to shift from rewinding the romantic spurt they shared under open skies. Novice yet instinctive!! He dotingly graded her inexperienced reciprocation and with supreme effort, he drifted his ecstatic mind towards the not-so-exciting task at hands.

~~~

No swelling and barely visible!!  Totally satisfied after the third check, Jodha swung back from mirror. After returning to dark confines of her room and seclusion of duvet, Jodha couldn't stop revisiting and reliving her illusionary wedding. To save herself from turning completely insane, she pressurized her thoughts to something less maddening-  The kiss. But alas, it only worsened the plight. Each time her tongue touched the lower lip, a strong urge to taste him again loomed within; and each time she felt the urge, she also quivered in fear - A fear of knocking the opposite door and throwing herself into his arms.

Urgh!! Thoroughly recognizing that sleep has ditched her, she got out of bed, moved to mirror and spent substantial time verifying her reflection. A couple of shifted glances from her chain to lips and a hilarious pun struck her. Usually it is wedding first and then KISS THE BRIDE. My mister MD first kissed and then made me bride!!

She chuckled, checked the lower lip thrice and then gaited towards window. One glimpse at corner of balcony and her skin showed up goose bumps. That tenderness, that fragrance, that authority - she crossed arms and rubbed them to generate necessary heat to battle against the chills. Realizing she had been on high for a little longer than needed, Jodha sighed, slanted against the wooden frame and brought her lethargic logical senses back to action. Rewinding the events in reverse chronological order, she began putting a logical explanation to each incident of the evening.

First - The imaginary wedding is a total farce. If you massage his hand with ice cubes obviously water dribbles from yours to his. He kissed on your head tens of times before and its just another time today. You removed the chain in Chikpet fearing chain snatching and hastily hooked it after returning home. So there's every chance it was improperly fastened. That is all. There's nothing more to it!!

Second - The kiss was an impromptu emotional spurt. Before it was on forehead, eyes or cheeks, now its on lips. That is all. There's nothing more to it!!

Third - Badepapa and Jalal were anxious, as they feared Ramesh might harm you. That is all. There's nothing more to it!! Stop seeing through magnifying glass like Lady Holmes...

Her brows creased!!  If Ramesh was the sole reason of their tension, why wasn't he terminated from Regal till now?  A facet she missed earlier, now invincibly stood before her thus failing her every attempt to flail the devil of suspicion.

~~~

"Content is good, figures are accurate, but why isn't it giving the sense of perfection?!"  Planking against the pillow, Jalal mentally revised the presentation flashing on screen. "It feels right but not perfect, means something is missing. Some amendment should be..."

"Why wasn't Ramesh terminated from Regal Jalal?"

His eyes opened,  forehead cringed into a disrupted frown at the sudden voice and then into a bewildered one; bewildered by the return of his lady in as much freakish way as she left.

"If I wasn't safer because of him, why wasn't he legally charged or at the least terminated?" Firmly anchored beside him is she - with arms crossed and eyes boring skeptical gazes into him. Succumbing to silence of amazement, Jalal spent a moment gauging the lady before him, but the lady who procured impatience as her virtue by birth couldn't sustain the silence.

"I always had this inkling. There is something I'm oblivious to. What is it Jalal? Don't tell me its Ramesh. Should it be the case, it'd have been fifteen days since he's fired."

"Is it first time or you had it before?" placing the laptop aside, he made her sit.

"Since the day Badepapa began instru..."

"Tch... tch... I'm not asking about your instincts. What is it? Acute chronic..." he rubbed temple with forefinger, "...whatsoever disorder. Is it first time or did it happen before?" His thoughtfully pursed lips muffled the mischief behind them, but she being expert perceiver of his eye language, smacked his knee to emphasize her seriousness in the matter.

"I'm serious!!"

"So am I. Twenty minutes before you behave in the oddest way possible and leave me to my plight saying you'd see me in the morning. Now twenty minutes later you come out of blue with another bout of oddity. May I know what's happening with you?"

"That was silly, forget it. This is important, please... "

"What do you want to know?"

"Why didn't we file a case against Ramesh?"

"File a case and then?" he inclined forward, "and then get you trolled in name of judicial enquiry? For your information, uncle had that idea but I was the one against it. You're welcome to be angry with me if it displeases you."

"Angry for thinking of my honor?" she smiled, "I haven't reached that level of stupidity yet. But then what about termination from Regal?  Why don't we get rid of him and put an end to this tension."

"Out from Regal and get employed in another organization with hiked salary?!" Jalal elaborated. "That is what he'd do the moment we fire him. And a jerk like him doesn't deserve such luxury!!"

Neither that nor this? She glanced puzzled. "Then what do you want to do Jalal?"

"I've my plans!!" he assuredly laid his hand on hers. "Jo, I understand how snappy it is to continue working with him but trust me, I'll not let this inconvenience last longer!!"

"Its not about my inconvenience, Jalal. It's about this", she got up and returned with the emptied glass from center table. "This tells me how panicked you were today", her eyes narrowed in pain. "And why should we live in fear of one moron?"

"Its not about one Ramesh idiot", rebuking his negligence, he freed the glass from her. "There're many other Rameshs roving all over city and we wouldn't be lucky every time", making her sit opposite to him, he gave a pensive pause. "While you're fighting one jerk in Delhi, a girl in Bangalore also waged a fight against another jerk but..." he sighed.

"What?" Jodha was taken aback. "Who was she?"

"A girl like any other who entered this city to pursue her dreams of a prosperous career..." his voice turned sober, "...with a supporting family back home happily awaiting the right man for their daughter and..." bile constricted his tone, "and all it took was two bastxxds to bring a family's flourishing dreams to a ghastly end!!" Jalal summarized it in two sentences but the rage in his orbs gave away the unspoken details.

God!! Fresh pangs of anguish hit the listener hard. Wrapping arms around Jalal's folded legs, Jodha rested her head between his knees. All it took was two bastxxds... !! Her eyes shut in aversion reliving her own bitter experience. One touch of a wrong man and the repulsion never dies!!  Tears of anger for the predators and empathy for fellow victims dampened her lids. Another rose was brutally crushed for no mistake of it than being DAINTY!! This time she didn't constrain the tears like she usually did when she cried for her own miseries. How many more roses and how many more bas***ds before it ends?!

Jalal was neither oblivious to the tears nor the ache of his girl, for he's the one who deliberately put her through it. The minute Jodha darted into his room with her questions he guessed the adverse confrontation beckoning him; thence he wielded the sensitive incident to his rescue. He knew he'd be scratching her sour wounds, yet he helplessly did. He kept stroking her hairs- a gesture of comforting as well as seeking her forgiveness.

"Is she..." she choked, "...left alive?

"Yes..." he said remembering the detached glances of the girl when he met her in hospital, "...only physically!!" He didn't say it loud but Jodha did it for him.

"Perhaps physically!!" Her grip around his legs loosened. "After ANY KIND OF LOSS... it takes a mental rebirth to live life again like the way it was!!" She recapped her experiences and added after brief pause. "Will you take me to her Jalal?"

"Why?" He wondered but she didn't answer. Few moments of contemplation and she glimpsed up perking her chin on his knees - her eyes shimmering with tears and smile. "May be I can quote my tussles to serve as the ray of inspiration she duly needs. May be I can convince her to hold on to the reins of faith in God. May be I can show YOU to her and assure - Every unfair loss would eventually be compensated!!"

A short spell of admiration thereafter and Jalal's lips curved into the proudest smile. "I was very skeptical of her recovery, but now", he lovingly ruffled his girl's hair, "I'm positive about it. How wrong of me to condone the example right in front of me!!"

Jodha smiled, dabbed her cheeks and took his hand between palms. "So, all my safety instructions are the consequences of this incident, aren't they?"

"Yes", he shifted her to his side. "Who expects such a mishap to happen near a corporate office? She had been traveling single all along, yet... all it took was one lethal hour. You know who did it? Two labourers of a construction site near her office! And you", he squeezed her shoulder as he chastised. "You've this bad habit of indulging into night adventures at sites. Is uncle any wrong in abandoning you from going out alone?"

Not minding his punishment, Jodha kinked her forehead. "But he could've told me this before. What's secretive about it? At least you should've told me when we had this discussion at lunch yesterday."

Ya Allah!! Curbing the temptation to pull his hair out, Jalal plastered a patient smile. "He didn't say because he didn't want to revive your wounds" he straightened her quirked brows with forefinger. "I didn't say because I wanted a better discussion at lunch than this."

Contrary to his casualty, Jodha's face turned desolate. "How long Jalal?" Her eyes fell on the glass beside him. "When is the end to this? Do you believe there's a solution to this problem? I've no hopes that the situation with women gets better.It either continues to be as unsafe as it is, or it'd worsen further. How long will you live in tension? What else can be done than praying for my safe return every time I step out?"

"Solution is not in our hands but precaution is", he cupped her fallen face. "A little extra vigilance, an escort at times needed, and a proper intimation. It doesn't harm to be cautious, right? Will you promise to be careful Jo? Will you promise to never leave me?" His last question, his firmed grip on her cheeks and the latent insecurity in his eyes took Jodha by surprise. Seeing her narrowed eyes, Jalal promptly amended. "I mean don't ever leave this home without informing me, okay?" Entwining her fingers into his right hand, she smiled. "Why do you think I'd do so?"

"When I didn't find you in your room, I thought you left me... in anger." For a second he sounded like a bereaved lover but the next instant he returned to his usual commanding mode. "I warn you to completely wipe of such intentions, if any, from this little fickle mind." He knuckled on her head and she happily smiled. "I won't stoop to such stupidity", she staunchly pressed his fisted hand over her head like swearing on herself. "Never ever in my wide wake, happy?!"

Gladdened by her promise, Jalal inclined forward to take her into a squishing hug but...

"And one more..." he stopped an inch apart and seriously asked.

"Mm?!"

"What did you imagine?"

It took a while for her to understand what he is asking and the instant it did she threw his hand off her head and tried to jump out of bed.

"Nah... Not done missy", Jalal exerted a little of his might and the result - her back was pinned to bedstead. "You've escaped many times earlier, but not today." He maneuvered her hand to his head. "Tell me!!"

"Jalal..." Jodha wriggled her hand out of his clasp. "Its of no significance that I've to swear on you. If you insist, I'll say without this, please..." she implored.

"And you'll say truth!!" he prompted and seeing her agree, he brought her hand down, yet didn't set it free. The peeved lady so badly wished to be furious with him for putting her in a fix but the held hands brought back the mushy grins. "These exact eccentric chuckles", Jalal rolled eyes. "I've to know the reason behind them. NOW!!"

"Nothing interesting as you are expecting mister. It was a silly imagination," she shyly averted his gaze and her shyness made him deduce his guess to be absolutely right.

"About?"

"Wedding", she completely lowered head and giggled. "A penniless, effortless wedding."

"What?" Jalal stared totally lost.

"Mm", she bit lips. "I was inventing ways of budget free wedding. Few hilarious ideas sprouted in my mind and the result, you saw!!" Though shortly disappointed at the failure of his prediction and at the missed opportunity of teasing her, the topic appeared so interesting that Jalal inadvertently angled forward. "Like exactly what ideas missy?"

"Like wedding under open skies, substituting stars for lamps, moonlight for flood lights, natural breeze for conditioned air..." Jodha crackled his fingers one at a time while she spoke, "...and some more substitutions in similar lines."

"But why did you suddenly think of wedding?" The unexpected enquiry rang warning sirens in her head. "And what's so funny in it that caused you jump off the swing?"

Wedding night made me jump!!  Jodha zipped her lips and stayed wisely silent.

"Oy... you promised to speak truth!!" His reminder sounded more like a threatening.

"I know sir", she responded with a mirthful nod. "But it makes better sense if I wait for right time than saying it now. May I defer it till then?"

"How long?" he glanced dubious.

Till the day you ask for my hand in marriage!!

"Not very long I suppose", she winked, "and you don't have to stare so suspiciously. You've my word, I'm only deferring it not defying." Assimilating the sincerity in her eyes, Jalal reluctantly gave in.

"So how do find my budget free wedding concept?" She enthusiastically asked. "Don't you think it'd be super hit if I sell it, as marriage expenses leave many families bankrupt?"

"People might go bankrupt", planking against bedstead, Jalal curved his arm around her shoulder, "...but they don't give up false prestige. As long as wedding remains a show of class and superiority, your ideas won't sell missy."

"Hmm, at least tell me your choice. Do you like simple wedding or grand one?" she asked without deliberation and Jalal glanced amused.

Any wedding as long as you're the bride!!

"I think I'd go for a simple one this time", he seriously quipped, "...as the first one left me TRULY bankrupt!!" Dismayed, Jodha checked for traces of ache in his eyes but seeing him laugh on his own sarcasm, she too joined the fun. "See, my concept isn't too bad boss. I already bagged a client" she pumped fists with him and got up to leave. "Now, I'll work on developing my concept further and you continue with yours", she handed over the laptop and took the defiled glass. "But wrap up soon sir, else with puffed eyes and swollen knuckles, your clients may think you were wrestling all night", she turned to leave but the low chuckles pulled her back.

"What?

Nodding in no, he masked his wry grins behind the laptop screen but that gesture only aided her remember another forgotten issue. "Hey, you didn't tell me what that exercise is," she stepped ahead. "And when are you going to teach me?"

"It's a variant of wrestling," stifling the laughter, he answered flatly. "And I'll teach you when you're ready!!"

If its wrestling, what's so funny about it that he laughed? The unconvinced lady stared dubious, nevertheless she decided not to rack her brains further. "Fine then lets start on Wednesday as you might not have enough time tomorrow morning" she casually said ignorant to what exactly she's suggesting. The tickled boss turned aside in pretext of picking something from side table lest the sleuth beside him should begin with another round of investigation.

"Good night boss!!"

"Good night... sweetheart!!" he returned the greeting with a deliberate stress on the last word and Jodha got the cue. "And I'm still guessing on what was I thanked for." His teasing eyes took no time to stimulate the wobbles that she managed to muzzle under pit of stomach.

"Keep guessing!!" she quipped and before the wobbles traversed from stomach to heart, Jodha darted out of his suite, silently blushing.

Twenty minutes later just when she's about to doze off, two quirks struck her. One - For first time ever, Jalal jested with her on his marriage. Second - And when he did so, Aliya's image didn't flash before her eyes like it earlier did.

"Two days, two nights and not a single revival of ex-owner's face," she smiled elated. "Not bad Jo. The progress is worth congratulating!!"  Very soon, the opened lids shut as sleep took over, yet the parted lips remained open - The beautifying smile seemed to have no intention of dousing off that night.

*********

PS: Explanation of Telugu wedding rituals 2 posts below - Esp for Blacktulip

Edited by hemakeerti - 7 years ago
hemakeerti thumbnail
Chapter 39

"Had you not insisted on Sewaiyan amma..." simmering the flame and continuing with stirring, Vasantha said, "...I'd have introduced you to Karnataka special Moongdal Kheer. Not to boast, but I make it finger licking delicious. Shall I make it this evening?" Unwitting to disappoint the elderly lady by revealing her disinterest in Kheers and the real reason behind Sewaiyan, Jodha deferred the offer with an alluring smile. "Some other time Vasantha. I've different menu in mind for evening."

"Are you sure sir would have just an omelet with toast madam?" Chuckling at the attendant's furrowed brows and unconvinced gazes, Jodha reasserted with a sure nod. It wasn't the first time Mani asking her that question and she nodding in confirmation. Why not? Till date, the chief chef is not accustomed to so light a menu in that home. Abundant choices for each course were the standard set by his ex-mistress and for years he was only following that, even after her exit.

"It's almost eight. Let me see if sir is ready so that you can start toasting." As she merrily trekked up, the prills of Peach Anarkali leaped to life as if posing tough competition to the sashaying tresses. "Jalal... are you rea..." She barged in, in her usual alacrity but the welcoming sight rooted her feet to their spot. Wet towel on bed, shirt on armrest of the recliner he's seated, blazer hanging from bedstead, and he before a stockpile of scattered papers - the room appeared like an epitome of disheveled discipline.

"Mm yes..." His continued conversation on phone confirmed that he missed perceiving her presence. "Anything more to add?" she heard him ask and guessed it had to be his friends on the other end.

"Jal..." she began calling him again but withdrew on seeing his complete focus on the task at hands. Skeptically standing by the wall, she kept drifting gazes from his sculpted back to ticking time and to the whizzing fingers. "Needle edged eyes, taut jaw, knitted lips..." she admired his picturesque sternness. Her gaze trailed to the attire on him and her lips curved into an entranced smile.  "Who said clothes define the grace of a man?" crossing arms she leant against wall, openly admiring him. "Mr. Jalal Ahmed.. you should be one of the very few men who look every bit IMPERIAL even in a vest."

The doting eyes caught sight of the dewdrops dribbling down his nape and sinking into his vest. "Seems he settled at laptop straight from shower." Shaking head, she stepped ahead to dab his hair dry but recoiled just in time. His obliviousness to her presence asserted how focused he is, like a saint in deep penance and she didn't have the heart to disrupt it. Thirty minutes to Regal and forty five minutes more from there, it means it'd be almost Ten. Calculating in mind she peeked at clock which confirmed her speculation is indeed right and that they should start in five minutes if he were to drop her on his way. Any further delay, he is going to definitely default to meeting. Yet, instead of pressurizing him with a reminder of time, she switched the fan on and calmly scooted out. In less than ten minutes she returned as much unnoticed as she left, placed the breakfast tray on center table and settled on couch with an intention to remind him had he not winded up in next ten minutes.

"Sent and done!!" Eight minutes later, Jalal got up. "Abdul, you start now and look after the arrangements. It might be nine thirty before I turn out," he checked system time. "Thirty minutes to Regal and forty five minutes from there... Shoot!!"  

"Actually a little later than nine thirty as I've to drop Jodha too..." He hastily took shirt to hands and then noticed his wet back. "I'd be there by Ten but in case I'm late, you know what to do. Chalo, see you!!" He went near dresser for the dryer but the reflection in mirror made him freeze. "Wow!!" His eyes inevitably shone at the appeasing visual - soft glowing skin clad in golden patched Peach suit, pink lips glowing with smile, kohl eyes glowing with love and rosy cheeks propped against palms - "Hey beautiful.." his addressing came undeliberated and it puffed more glow to the already illuminating girl. "For how long have you been waiting here?" he wondered observing the breakfast tray. "Just five minutes," he hastened before she responded. "Have your breakfast and be ready, we'll start."

"YOU'LL start." She got up with the plate of toast. " I'm not coming with you." His fingers that were about to turn the dryer on, ceased. "I'm going to Badepapa's office to finish yesterday's incomplete work," she stood right before him and showed the phone in her hands. "And the answer to your angry frown..." she dialed a number and put the speaker on.

"Yes madam!!"

"Ranga, did you start?"

"Yes madam I'm on the way!!"

"Okay!" she disconnected the call and playfully rose brows as in got-your-answer. "Happy? Convinced? I'm not going alone... I came here fifteen minutes back and seeing you seriously work I dialed Ranga. Now sit and eat while I help you with dryer," she tried to make him sit on the dresser stool but Jalal didn't budge. "You sure you wouldn't go anywhere else than office?" he probed and she rolled eyes. "Not after yesterday's dramatic innings."  

"Good, I see the dose of wrath working," he cheekily winked and resumed drying,  "and glad you called Ranga, else we'd have been late. I'll have breakfast with clients. You have it."

"I know," scurrying to his side, she persuaded. "That's the reason I asked Mani to make light breakfast. It's not good to leave home with empty stomach na.  It doesn't take more than two minutes to finish this," she pleaded with eyes leaving him no option than to relent. "Good boy, take this and give that to me.." she scooped the dryer out of his hand and moved to his back but Jalal pulled her front.

"Better than that would be this," he returned the plate and took back dryer. "I can accomplish many tasks if my hands are free, so..." he switched the dryer on, inclined a little forward and opened his mouth. Oh!! Her amazed face said she didn't expect the grown up man would prefer to be fed. Nevertheless, she gladly abided. Trying her best to stick her sight only to his face, and not to the enticing view the partly gaped vest offered, she lifted the toast to his mouth. But alas!! The rebellious eyes defied her command, took a stealthy peek at his rugged upper arms, haired chest and sculpted planes and she discerned her heart is plummeting rather than pumping.

"It got cold," averting gaze to preserve her sanity, she said. "Sorry I should've switched the fan off."

"Not a deal yaar," Jalal casually waved off but then dubiously glimpsed up.

"I turned it on when I last came," reading the question in his eyes, she answered. "Your hair was too damp and you're too engrossed to be disturbed."

"Mm?!" he rose an impish brow. "Is that fan truly for my hair or...?" The corner of his mouth twisted into an evil smirk and the naive girl furrowed brows failing to perceive the reason behind this sudden deviltry. "Or...?"

"Or did Bangalore's autumn turn into Chennai's summer this morning?"

"What?" she took a second to decode and when she did, her first reflex was to check his shirtless body and recall her own comment.  Stupid me!! She quickly corrected her gaze, fiercely thumped a morsel into his mouth and finally when she's sure she isn't flustered, she leveled him with a pompous stare. "My attention was ONLY on the headache a wet head yields. Nothing else."

"Aha?" he reduced the gap by a step and angled enough for her to have a full view of his bare upper body through the dehisced vest. "Check for me if it is dry enough? I too don't like headaches." The devastating blend of his cologne and shampoo, added to the extremely scintillating view he presented, gave the baffled girl's heart a swift jerk. "Forget your headache, I'll get heart attack if you stand like this for one more second."  She lurched back and the wicked boss smirked lopsided. "Bluff all you want my dear, I know my effect on you!!" 

"Check it fast.."

Helplessly sighing, she proceeded to do a safe test by touching his scalp only by one finger but the lush tresses weakened her will. Compelled to relish the satiny softness of his pitch dark locks, her fingers slipped deeper into them. "Mm... completely dry," her heart filled with a sudden tinge of maternal love. "What was it that demanded your urgent attention..." she gave a fond caress, "...so much that you had no time to dry your hair or put on a shirt?"

"Last minute alterations," he stood straight though he didn't want to. He'd have let her play for hours with his hair; if only, there wasn't a meeting beckoning him. "The presentation lacked something and that something struck only after turning on the shower."

"Like Archimedes?!" jesting, she filled his empty mouth with another bite.

"Kind of..." he winked shoving his arms into shirt sleeves. "But glad I had the conscious to half dress unlike Archimedes." It was the first time he spoke to her in such open brazenness and undoubtedly, it got her into splits. Curbing her grey cells from delving into imagining how HIS Archimedes-like view would've been, she attempted to divert the topic. "I'm also glad to see you..."

"Semi naked?" Not letting her finish, Jalal poked with mock stun and her lips parted wide. "Youu..." she shifted plate to right so that she could smack him with the left and when she did it to her complete satisfaction, she thrust a major portion of toast into his mouth... only to make sure he wouldn't utter another word till she's done. "I was saying I was glad to see you messy," she hissed. "I was happy to see the ever organized boss's suite screwed up for once. I was in fact very, very glad that you too keep things for last minute like the normal we."

"Normal you?" he frowned. "What am I then?"

"Systematic aristocrat..." her chirpy response was spot on, "Prudent planner and a perfectionist!!" He keenly looked on for traces of sarcasm but her eyes reflected only admiration. "With such impression on you, obviously it should be a pleasant surprise to see you detour from being mister perfectionist."

"By any chance..." cuffing his sleeves Jalal prodded, his skeptical frown giving away the scruples scurrying in his head, "...are you saying your opinion of me had marred after this?" Studying the apprehension behind that query, Jodha tossed a teasing smile. "Before I answer that, may I know how substantial is my opinion of you to you?"

"More substantial than you assume." He moved to dresser to brush the hair and stayed pensive for a while. "It doesn't harm if my perfectionist image falls down by few notches but..." distinctly watching her reflection to not miss her reflexes, he finished, "it surely does if you STILL consider me a rich Mahaan brat who divorced for petty reasons." At the end of it, the vivacious smile on the keen listener gradually dissipated. Failing to make out head or tail, Jodha knitted brows. "What are you saying Jalal? Where did that come from?"

"Doesn't matter..." he turned back gauging, "the question is... do you or do you not?"

Rich mahaan brat divorced for petty reason?! She got lost in contemplation. Why does this sound familiar?  She looked on. "Perhaps a gossip?" she empathetically smiled seeing him wait for her response. It had to be!! Don't I know the gossips around his divorce since day one?

"Jalal, is this one of the many fancy rumors around your divorce?" wondering at her own ease in discussing the delicate topic, she smiled. "If so, let me tell you, they didn't matter me then and they neither matter me now."

"Uh huh?" looking her in the eye, Jalal half smirked. "Okay, as you say," he took the last portion and moved on but Jodha didn't miss the glint of incredulity in his eyes. What am I missing? She stood pondering over his quizzical reaction. Measuring gazes, questioning smirks and slick turn away - something is there!! She concentrated on his first question and pondered over and over it. But it does if you STILL consider me a rich Mahaan brat...  She stopped thinking when the keyword in his question struck her- STILL?!

"Jalal..." she pointedly looked at this back. "What do you mean by STILL considering you a rich brat?  You mean, you think I did so once?"

"Jo, help me lining these papers. I'm running late..." picking up the sheets scattered on bed, he asked as if he hadn't heard her. Throwing him a sober stare, Jodha silently moved to bed to help him but the speed of her hands conveyed her determination to quickly wind up the task and seek her answers. The agility in her fingers, the perseverance in her clenched jaw - Jalal cheekily smirked and took a stealthy side step. "So you didn't?" he whispered from her back and Jodha spun her head around. Their heads were perilously close, so close that she felt the warmth of his breath directly against her skin. Heat leapt up to her cheeks and down to her toes, yet she didn't flinch an inch. "Who told you I did?" she demanded and just then remembered Divya's warning to be careful with Asst. Marketing manager's gossiping mouth. "That marketing-wali?"

"Marketing wali?!" reveling in her appealing fury, Jalal grinned. "Who's that?"

"Your asst. marketing manager!" she scowled and he grinned wider at the emphasized YOUR.

"Oh, because she does marketing for me, she's MY marketing-wali?" he teased, "then going by your theory, you should be MY architect-wali... and if that architect is in my home," his voice turned huskier as he inched closer, "shouldn't she be called MY... GHAR-WALI?"

What!! The unprepared lady was so genuinely taken aback that she blankly stared for five seconds.. My gharwali?! She clenched lips and turned head aside to shield her flushed face. My gharwali...!! She silently laughed. "Sounds so pertinent and perfect!!"

My, my!! Her battle against blush instilled only one devilish urge into the fiendish man's mind. Pouting lips, he trailed them towards her temple. "What say architect-ghar-wali?" While she's still cherishing her new name, he seductively blew air on her temple. Huh!! She visibly shuddered, dug fingers into bedspread and waited with bated breath for his next action to come. "Ufff.." he blew again, and again and again and then she discerned his game. The game between him and his sweet rival - her strayed strand. He's hell bent on puffing it back to its nest, and it is hell bent on disobeying him by returning to temple. "Battle is yours but defeat is going to be mine?!" she angered with both of them for making her a prey in between. To her, it didn't seem silly to be angry with a strand of hair because, by then, she's utterly angry and extremely unhappy with many other revolting parts of hers.

She strictly ordered the skin not to form goose bumps, yet it did.

She strictly ordered the cheeks not to flush, yet they did.

She strictly ordered the ears not to erect, yet they did.

She strictly ordered the eyes not to shut, yet they did.

She strictly ordered the lips not to dry, yet they did.

Above all, she's been strictly ordering the hands to nudge him, yet.. THEY DIDN'T.

Nothing under control!!

Gritting under breath, she splayed fingers and the papers that touched her tips gave her the damn needed makeshift. She picked up a bunch and snapped them against her temple thus intruding into the fight. "Aren't you running late?"

"Aren't you avoiding my question?"

Though thoroughly impressed by his comeback, she maintained the intensity. "Who started it? Anyways.. since we're on the topic tell me..." she met his frolic orbs.  "When, how and from who did you hear me discussing your divorce?"

"Many months back..." he answered the when part, "I happened to overhear..." he clarified the how part and concluded with whom part. "YOU!!"

"Me?!" Startled, she instantly shot her head back. "You mean I called you mahaan brat and spoke low of you?" Surprised by the bleached color of her face, Jalal momentarily doubted his judgment. "At least that is what I assumed..." grabbing the remaining sheets, he reposed opposite to her, "...when I heard you quoting those exact words to someone over phone." He waited for her to say something and when she didn't he resumed with diplomatic nonchalance. "What else should I deduce when I'm not ignorant to the gossips of my employees on my back? I'm not complaining on you or anyone here. After all, what could be more intriguing subject for employees than the MD's abrupt divorce?" He maintained his poise but Jodha could see much beyond that misleading grace - a blunt indifference and a raw soreness - and it stung her heart. She knew she has to speak something in her defense, say something to clear his misunderstanding, yet she flatly stared. For, she herself couldn't come to terms with what he revealed.

"I heard you quoting to someone else over phone...?!" His claim got her thinking. When, why and with who did I speak of his divorce?" She began churning her memory. Rich... mahaan... brat... many months back I heard you speaking... divorce... rich... mahaan..

Immersed in thoughts, she didn't notice Jalal seizing papers from her.

Divorce...mahaan brat... no mahaan cousin...  Anu?! Yes... Anu!!

"Jo please, you don't have to..."

"You heard me one evening..." glimpsing up, she cut him short, "...when I was on call with my friends?! Isn't it?"

Seeing him nod Jodha sighed relieved and vaguely recalled the discussion after the issue was resolved. Her friends teased her taking his name and if she remembered right, her reply wasn't quite polite. Of course, back then her situation was different; her priorities were different. Though sure he wouldn't have heard the last part of their conversation, she didn't want to take a chance. "What part of our conversation have you heard?" she asked smiling. "All of it or...?"

"I'd have heard all of it had I eavesdropped," he got up with files. "...but I know my manners."

Smiling in relief, real relief, Jodha blocked his way. "Had you shredded your manners and overheard for another minute..." she crossed arms on back, "you'd have known the rich mahaan brat I referred to was a SHE, not a HE." Noticing the last traces of skepticism in his eyes, she picked up the papers from him. "My explanations wouldn't take long... just the time to put your shoes on, go." She nudged him towards shoe rack, scooted to his bag and began. "I've a friend Anu and this rich brat was her cousin who divorced for incompatibility issues..."

By the time she ended narration, she also finished fixing his bag, placed it on bed and walked to him with Sewaiyan bowl. "... and now Anu is expecting her first child. All is well that ends well..." She gripped his hand. "So, that was it. I'm glad your brought this discussion instead of keeping it to yourself. Misconceptions are a pain in the neck and I know how disgusting they could get," she breathed deep, looking down to their hands.

"Jalal.." a quiet moment later, she lowly called. "Will you hate it if I admit.." she briefly stopped in apprehension, not of the topic, but of the poignancy of discussing it .. at this time when he had a significant meeting ahead.

Entwining fingers into hers, Jalal warmly smiled. "Go on. I've enough time." 

Moved by his perceptivity and support, she softly smiled and resumed with absolute certainty. "...if I admit I was wrong about you, that I completely misjudged you once?"

The tenderness in her eyes conveyed she's not talking about their heated confrontation after conference; rather it is something else and somehow, he half guessed what it is going to be. Is she REALLY going to talk about it? He glanced partly incredulous, partly gratified. About the most sensitive situation she always preferred to avert? If so... this morning definitely is going to be very promising. 

Sheathing her hands between palms, he encouraged her to liberate herself from withholding inhibitions. "In Delhi when I came looking for you, you're there... right before me yet I didn't come to you. I ran away because I've already arrived at a my own conceptions by then. I judged you based on what I saw and didn't care to look beyond the obvious," her eyes looked away as she revisited the memory. "That one wrong decision and I ended up messing the whole situation. Had I been thoughtful enough, Ramesh would have been behind bars now. I had no right to judge you, yet I did it and not just that... I cussed you, blamed you, avoided you," she gulped the embarrassment.  "I can't forget how stubborn I was when you questioned me on my odd behavior," unable to meet his eyes, she casted her lids down.

"That day you had no reason to be patient with me. You had no reason to bear my stupidity, yet you did. And the best thing is you when you knew I was mistaken, you didn't wait longer to clarify it and it got me thinking.

When you were mistaken about me, why didn't I act likewise? I too could have talked to you, explained the situation and sorted out the misunderstanding, but no, I preferred to quit even before making tiniest of attempt towards redemption. I was wrong both the times, took irrational decisions and later realized such stupidity gets me nothing but a splitting headache and..." she glimpsed up apologetic, "And that the headache wouldn't stop with me but passes on to everyone around me. Forgive me for that Jalal. I learnt my lessons." She finished and waited for him to say something but Jalal regarded her with eloquent silence. Contended by her gallant first step towards establishing an immaculate relation, she glimpsed down to their entwined hands and something struck her - It wasn't as tough to speak of the embarrassing situation as she feared because... she had his support all through out. All the while she spoke, he, not for once, left her hand!!

Overwhelmed by apprehending the real meaning of his gesture - that she always has his backing -  Jodha reverently caressed his knuckles. 

"Jo..." his deep baritone solemnly rang in the silent confines. "I've a question.."

Preparing for the confrontation to come, she faced him with an I-am-ready-to-answer-anything smile. The corners of his eyes sharpened as he bore his gazes into her. "What did you cuss that night?"

Uh?! She batted lids, for, out of very many taunting questions, she didn't expect this to come. She gauged him intently and the tug at the corner of his lips gave away his REAL intentions. Oh!! Kidding me?! 

She slyly smiled as she very well remembered how she cussed him, what she accused him of - cheating. "Something like what you'd have cursed when I didn't turn up for conference on time."

Cheat?!  He instantaneously guessed, as that is what he felt that day when she defaulted despite his personal reminder. "I expected you'd have unleashed at least half of 'F' dictionary on me." He twitched lips in distaste.

"How poor of me!!" she wryly sympathized with herself. "I should seriously consider taking tuition on that language. Will you be my teacher?" She retorted and he watched her in grim silence and then... the duo broke into giggles.

That's all? No more questions like why you called me cheat?! What is it to you if I hug Aliya? What rights you had on me then? Her gaily eyes asked unable to believe he's letting the best opportunity of hounding her to go... just like that.

Not this time!! His mellow gaze confirmed. When I know the answers, why troubling you with taunting questions?  Don't I know the delicate line between teasing and tormenting?

Completely gladdened, Jodha tucked a spoonful of Sewaiyan into his mouth. "For the happy beginnings", she chirped and put in another spoonful, "and this is for your meeting. All the very best and good luck dear boss." Eventually the sweet and the wishes triggered a memory from his past - his mother's similar gesture on the day of his first step towards his dream - Four Wheels. The sweetness of the sweet traveled from mouth to his heart as the latent significance of her choice of sweet hit him hard. Sewaiyan is not just any other sweet... it symbolizes his culture and she, in the simplest way conveyed her acceptance of HIM... and his culture.

Seeing him submersed in thoughts, Jodha narrowed eyes but didn't prod further. "Let me get your keys and wallet" she got up and he too got up pulling her back. She looked on puzzled while he took the spoon from her. "For the happy beginnings.." he fed her with brimming affection and no wonder she stroke an immediate liking for the not-so-fond-sweet. "Kheers can also be tried..." accepting another mouthful, she concluded, "...as long as he feeds them."

"Tastes good Jo", he savored the next morsel. "Did you make it?"

"What?" she glanced at him so offended that he doubted if he spoke some indirect profanity. "You think I'd try hands at cooking when you have an important meeting ahead?"

"Stupid" he choked at her horrendous expressions and Jodha quickly got him a glass of water. "How insulting Jalal!! You choked at the mere mention of my cooking. Too bad," pursing lips, she patted on his head till he settled.

"I wonder what this talented architect's proficiency level at cooking is?" he provoked. "Zero?!"

"Not really. I know some cooking but Kheers aren't part of it" she quipped returning with his keys and wallet. "and the proficiency level..." she passed on stuff from her hands to his, "I'll let you decide on your own."

"Though its quite a risky step from my side," he grinned cheesy. "I'd love to!!"

"May God bless you.." she rolled eyes in sly prayer and left to get his bag.

Not realizing she's living up to the new title she earned that morning, Jodha casually instructed. "There is enough time, drive slow.  You don't have to whip your Jaguar hard."

Gharwali's commands thus begin!!

When she turned back with his bag, Jodha saw him mysteriously grinning. "What?"

Stifling his grins, Jalal nodded in a no but seeing her suspiciously glare at him with a hand on hip he chortled loud. "Since its confession time shall I make one?" he drew her by waist. "No, actually it's two," he trailed his fingertip on her temple and gladly watched the color on her cheeks changing. "One, you look super cute in that hand-on-hip pose. Two...," his voice mellowed and thumb rose to caress the apple of her cheek. "From three days...my mornings were only getting better."

Wait... what? Whoo hoo!!

She pursed lips... that didn't work.

She lowered lids... that didn't work.

She looked aside.. that didn't work.

And when she realized she completely failed in reining the rosiness, she threw up the attempt and broke into coy grins. Ravishing the sensuous sway of his favorite jhumkis, the enamored boss slid fingers into her hair and drew her closer.. so closer that the sandwiched bag suffocated for breath. "Wanna share your thoughts?" he whispered huskily and witnessed roses flourishing in her cheeks.

"My thoughts," toying with lapels of his shirt, she shyly murmured. "... are exactly like yours..." she bit on her lips at the earnest confession she's going to make, "except that I substituted morning with life."

Wait... what?

Half a second later she heard wolf whistle... right in her ears!!

"God.." she clamped mouth with both hands and then realized she could do better with hands than shutting mouth, that is... nudging him. She put the idea to immediate implementation but the grip on her waist was so vice that she inadvertently failed.

"We are not yet done missy," he traced the contours of her stained cheek with nose and earned a melodious chuckle in return. "You know.." he stopped by her ear almost kissing the jhumki "...you're free to THANK me!!"

The wickedly accented THANK told her what sort of thanks he is expecting from her. Devil in disguise!! She impotently swore thinking of modes of escape - escape not because she didn't like the idea, just because... she couldn't THANK in HASTE!

"Actually lets keep the deal fair," his fingers strummed on her collarbone inflicting a shaky breath in her. Dangerously deft musician!! She cursed with a praise. "Since my admission came first, let me thank first, then you can do yours." He proposed and while she's still weighing on Thanks Vs Time, he held her face between palms.

"Your clients.." trying to bring his hands down, she hastily spoke; lest she feared she should be deprived of the MEANS to speak had she delayed. "If you don't hurry up now, they'll surely leave saying - No, Thanks."

"Don't you worry sweetheart. I know how to turn a No, thanks to Yes, thanks.." he easily said enjoying the tension palpable in her mildly quivering lips and agile gazes. "So back to our thanks game..."

Buzzz... Buzzz..

Never before Jodha felt so relieved, and the same time so disappointed on the ring of a phone. "Your phone.." she freed her face from his clutch.

"Fxxk.." he began to swear but refrained to confirm the dialer first and once he did, he undoubtedly finished it. Fxxking intruder!!

Faintly perceiving what he swore, Jodha bit on her chuckles and lurched back, mentally thanking and accusing the intruding savior... Abdul.

"Haan.. bol. Yes.. Yes.. I'm starting now...no straight to Four wheels," he signed Jodha that he's starting and she handed over his bag, for reasons best known to her. "Did Chetan start? Ok.. great. As soon as you go.." his gait towards door ceased when he fathomed the soft pressure on his shoulder, of her hand and then on his cheek, of her lips. "Thank you..." she kissed again. "Thank you.." and again. "thank you!! One for each day." She whispered and retreated, darting a challenging stare at his busy hands. 

"Idiot!!" He cussed her for getting away with the game when his hands are tied and the triumphant girl stuck her tongue out, seized the bag from him and happily sprinted out.

9:35am

"@Badepapa's office." Texting another update of her whereabouts as per Jalal's orders, Jodha waited for response and when it didn't show up, she deduced he is busy hosting clients. Fifteen minutes later, when she's done gifting Saradhi's associates, a custom the couple followed for every Dussehra, her phone buzzed with a message from him.

"K"

The shortest message conveyed he was surrounded by clients and couldn't talk at lengths.

"Meeting started?" She messaged back.

"10 mts"

"Any ladies in the clients?" 

"??"

"Then you don't have to speak for hours. One Jalal-ish smile and deal is yours!!"

Gulping down the chuckle along with coffee, the amused boss managed to pose a straight face. To be double sure he isn't eyed, he glanced at the clients keenly listening to Chetan and another impish smile sprouted seeing the lady from Nissan, seated opposite to him.

"Idiot"

"hehe... Cya... Rock the show Rockstar!!" She sent and on seeing the reply it was her turn to struggle putting up a straight face. Exiting from Saradhi's office, she peeked again at his last message... and shamelessly blushed.

"Aye my DARLING!!"

1:45pm

"Hey, I was expecting you to call only after the clients left," the exuberant girl made no attempt to hide her ecstasy.  Taking time for her amidst the busiest day, though for a minute, of course called for yet another marvelous smile on her. "How was it till now?"

"Smooth..." briskly striding to a silent zone, Jalal said. "But the real deal begins in five minutes. Negotiations, you know. Had lunch?"

"Mm... You?" 

"Just done."

"When will the decision be made? Today? Will you know by evening if the deal is yours?"

"I don't think so. Usually they take a call after their internal discussion. So it might be in a week or even longer."

"Fingers crossed..." she smiled, "And you didn't tell me if there's a lady..."

"Ahmed sir..."

Jodha stopped hearing a female voice from other end. The voice continued speaking to Jalal and from the conversation she recognized it should be the HR of Four wheels.

"Tell me..." Jalal resumed after the HR left.

"I was asking if there is any..."

"Ahmed..."

Jodha was cut short again by another female voice. "We're about to start."

"Yeah coming."

"Go Ahmed sir... go..." Jodha teased, "looks like your employees can't live without you even for a minute."

"Aha?!" His lips curved into a twisted smirk. "Why do I smell jealousy here?"

"Is it?" the undaunted girl quirked a sheepish brow. "I thought jealousy would be something that shows up on your F.A.N.G.I.R.L.S..." 

He laughed at her mocking accent.

"... when I say that I get to spend every hour, every minute, every second with you after office hours while they strive for a glimpse of you, for a word with you in office."

"As if they've no other work than seeing me?" he chided with a grin.

"Not everyone, but yeah 99.99% are only on this work," she scoffed. "And of that 99 percent, 75% are ready to lay their life for you. You only have to ask. You're underestimating the power of your charms Ahmed saab."

"Brazen idiot" he guffawed.  "Got to go now and the reason I called you is not to call Ranga in evening. I'll come to pick you."

"Sure?"

"Yes."

"Okay, I'll wait, bye..."

"Bye..."

"Hey..." she screamed just when he's about to disconnect.

"Haan?!"

"I don't have much work left for afternoon. I'll be ready by five. Will you come soon?" she sweetly asked. "That is if you don't have any work after the clients left."

"Oh?!" It's Jalal's turn to quirk brows. "Looks like MY employees can't live without me even for a minute."

"Oops..." she bit tongue and chuckled. "Let's discuss this evening... bye!!"

~~~

"I'm starting now and I'll take the 6:30 meeting from home." Searching for needed files, Jalal missed his friends' yet another exchange of sly glances - a phenomenon that started right from his entry into Four wheels that morning.

"If you have a minute for us," Chetan solemnly said. "We need to talk."

"Yes?" Jalal briefly stopped searching and looked up. Abdul is seen leisurely seated in the chair opposite to him and Chetan planked against the desk but one thing was common in both - seriousness in their gazes.

"What happened?"

"Every one on time. I don't spare any delays!!" Abdul mimicked Jalal's instructions. "And yet today the CEO says- 'I'll be late. Manage without me.' That too when he knows how ugly it gets when the CEO doesn't show up on time for a client meeting?!"

"No silent mode, switch the damn phones off!!" The next imitation came from Chetan. "Remember that, eh?"

"Client is king!!" Abdul took over. "And kings can be satiated only with unfaltering attention."

Rightly deducing where this is heading to, Jalal leant back relaxed. "If you're done with display of your gross mimicking skills," he began packing his bag. "Shall we come to the point?"

"You don't hesitate to turn up late.." Chetan began.

"You text right under the nose of customers.." Abdul added.

"You sneak every single opportunity to be on phone.."

"And you rush to home by five' o clock.."

"Don't you think you're defying your own rules?"

"Don't you think you're messing our business big time?"

Raising his palm, Jalal sought for a break from the ongoing jugalbandi. "Why do I feel there's something else mattering you, more than my defied rules or messed business?"

The crooked duo intently glared at their target and crossed arms. "A confession from you!!" They announced their demand and Jalal had a choking laugh. "Is it World Confession Day or what?"

"What confession?"

"What did the IDIOT do?"

What...? His brows furrowed and soon he unraveled what they're demanding. Tossing them a nasty glare, he got up with his bag and they too got up blocking him.

"So you need to know?" Seeing them determined to hound, Jalal surrendered. 

"YES!!"

"I can't say it but I'll show you," his clipped voice reflected sincerity and the duo looked on attentively. Slowly, his fingers formed a fist and as the friends waited, he brought his middle finger up. "Fxck off saalon!!" he tossed them a dirty glance, yanked Abdul with shoulder and made his way out grinning at the profane attack on his back.

hemakeerti thumbnail
Hey Tulip,

You asked what's the significance of holding hands and water dropping from girl's hand to boy's.
During Telugu wedding there are many rituals but I'll explain the three I mentioned in this update:

1.Kanyaadaan - Gifting daughter

The ritual where girl's hands are placed into guy's hands and girls parents leave water on girls hands meaning they're giving away their daughter.

2- Oath on heads (Jeela karra- Bellam)

The second ritual where a paste of cumin and Jaggery is placed on either heads, signifying they promise to stay together through sweet and bitter situations

3. Mangalsutra - Tying the sacred thread.

The mangalsutram or thaali, a necklace tied by the groom around the bride's neck, is the main identifying mark of a married woman in nearly all states of India, and it is just as important in Telugu weddings. The groom ties this around the bride's neck in three knots, signifying complete union - physical, mental, and spiritual. The three knots also refer to the groom's promise to care for his wife and not hurt her either through thoughts (manasa), speech (vacha), or deeds (karmana).

Hope after reading this if you read the update it makes sense to you 😳
al_pal thumbnail
Janu how was your India trip , hope you had lot of fun
hemakeerti thumbnail

Originally posted by: al_pal

Janu how was your India trip , hope you had lot of fun

Very good Pallu.. India is always fun 😳
al_pal thumbnail

Originally posted by: hemakeerti

Very good Pallu.. India is always fun 😳

happy to see you again , half of the PBDian are going to be in a shock , albite pleasant one 😆
hemakeerti thumbnail

Originally posted by: al_pal

happy to see you again , half of the PBDian are going to be in a shock , albite pleasant one 😆

I don't expect the pleasantries to last long 😆
Once they're done reading they'll remember the wait 😆
Savi.23 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
wow..what a wonderful day is todayEdited by savindi.db - 7 years ago
hemakeerti thumbnail

Originally posted by: savindi.db

wow..what a wonderful day is today

😆