Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

raunaq thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Originally posted by: raj5000

< 16 year olds dear friendsπŸ˜•,if ask why might be little😳 hard to explain why? .. Was a joke so πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

thokar is not a kid πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† , i can assure you and yeah that joke i got it now, i thought and thought the whole afternoon, after having my pizza i thought again and yes i got it a while ago πŸ˜† qt, that question is not valid for thokar πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†stop watching those old hindi movies qtπŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Edited by raunaq - 16 years ago
mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: raunaq

great recipe, i will try someday, never heard of panna but now will try it 😳 let me put it down along with poha in the list πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† , is this like some kind of kulfi?

Not kulfi  yaar raunaq.. kulfi me pudina and kala namak hota hai kya? πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†- its like lemonade, kachacha aamolade

THANKS maya .. that is done deal in next few days πŸ˜ƒ..

Dabulls23 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Maya_M

Easy recipe- Cook Mangoes in a pressure cooker for 5 minutes. Take peels off the Mangoes and squeeze to take the pulp out. Throw the seed away. Now make a puree with this pulp, sugar, 2 mint leaves and roasted cumin seeds. Refrigerate it.

Before serving fill the glass with crushed ice, pour panna and add kala namak.

Maya is this recipe made with Kachche Aam ya phir riped mangoes?  I was googling and somewhere it did say green mango so πŸ˜• I have never had this item b4 and would love to make it since it is mango season πŸ˜› Thanks.

Raunaqwa I have great quick and dirty Kulfi recipe too which you can make with mango πŸ˜›

Edited by Dabulls23 - 16 years ago
nerdynerd thumbnail
Dussheri mangoes! it makes you feel like a 3 year old again with the stuff getting all messy and drippy and that's where the fun is! Oh, how I miss those!
And yes I agree if you are Indian and don't know your mangoes...SHAME ON YOU!!
TallyHo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Did someone mention Ghalib's love for mangoes here???

Ghalib's love for mangoes

One of the greatest poets of the 19th century, Mirza Muhammad Asadullah Khan Ghalib (1797-1869) was renowned for his brilliance of writing, expert use of imagery and keen wit. He enjoyed good living and expensive wines and loved luscious mangoes.

Ghalib's passion for mangoes was well known, and equally well known was the great poet's mastery of the art of intelligent repartee. Stores of his ready wit and humour are recounted with the same relish today as they were in the days when they were circulated among Delhi's social elite.

Once, upon being asked what sort of mangoes he liked best, the poet replied that ideally mangoes should be sweet and plentiful.

The first of the following two anecdotes is a much-loved and often recounted episode concerning the mango. This is frequently narrated by mango lovers to those who look at the fruit with reservation.

The second shows how Ghalib lets his love for mangoes override the norms of protocol and with what artlessness he manages to extract a gift of mangoes from the emperor of India.

One day Mirza Ghalib was sitting with a group of friends on his terrace, enjoying the seasonal bounty of mangoes.

A happy spirit of camaraderie prevailed, the atmosphere being one of friendly warmth.

Present in the group was his dear friend Hakim Raziuddin Khan, one who didn't quite share his passion for this fruit. Ghalib, while eating mango after mango with great relish, was trying to coax his friend to taste the delicious fruit so as to enjoy its sublime flavour, but all the persuasion and teasing was to no avail.

It so happened that just then a donkey came ambling along in the street below them. It stopped at a pile of mango peels, sniffed at them curiously, but then moved on without either touching or tasting them.

Finding a good opportunity to get his own back at his friend, Raziuddin Khan drew Ghalib's attention to the donkey and pointedly remarked. 'Look here Mirza, see, even a donkey doesn't eat mangoes.'

Quick as lightning came Ghalib's rejoinder, 'It is after all a donkey! And only a donkey doesn't eat mangoes.' There was a burst of laughter as everybody present appreciated the witticism.

Excerpted from Romance of the Mango, The Complete Book of the King of Fruits by Kusum Budhwar, published by Penguin Books

TallyHo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Another interesting mango legend!

Why the koel sings on the mango tree

Upon her marriage to Rama, Sita left her parent's home and went to live with her husband in Ayodhya. As was the tradition even then, she brought gifts for all the members of her new family and household. But her mothers-in-law, as mother-in-law are wont to be, were dissatisfied with each and every gift.

They murmured among themselves that there was nothing exceptional about them β€” they were neither rare nor exotic. Sita felt so downcast at their attitude that she finally sent a message to her parents and asked them to send something so extraordinary that it would delight everybody.

This request cast a gloom over her parents. Where they would find something that was so uncommon as had never been seen or heard of before was a dilemma for them. They pondered deeply as they paced about dejectedly in their royal park.

Finally, Sita's mother became so distressed at the thought of her beloved daughter's plight that she sat down under a tree and wept inconsolably. Up in the tree a little black koel saw the queen's tears and asked her why she wept. When she learnt the cause of such grief, she promised to help.

Everybody knows that the koel has the sweetest voice imaginable. With this unmatched gift, the little bird perched herself on a mango tree and began to sing. Day and night she sang ceaselessly until the majestic mango responded to her sweet song and began to put forth pretty little fragrant flowers.

Still she sang and then the flowers turned to fruit that gradually ripened. However, by the time the mangoes were fully ripe and of a golden hue, the little bird had fainted with exhaustion.

The fruits were picked from the tree, packed and sent off to Ayodhya. Sita was delighted with the gift and she proudly presented it to her in-laws. Everybody marvelled at the fruit β€” no one had ever seen such perfection before!

In the meantime, the koel came out of her long swoon and found that the mango trees did not have a single fruit. So she set forth to sing once again with the same passion. In time, the whole cycle repeated itself.

Since that time the mango blossoms when the koel sings, but her delirious singing drains her energy and she faints with exhaustion, thereby never enjoying the fruits of her labour.

qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
u name 10 i name just ratnagiri hapus... man nothing compares to it....dus ke barabar hai 😊
Know of a family who fondly was carrying teh above hapus which like cost 200Rs per dozen. The customs here became suspicious and were about to throw away those in the trash.. when these guys suddenly had a realization.. They took the cases aside, removed the mangoes and sat eating right there in front of the customs... to their utter dismay... πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Dabulls23 thumbnail

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

u name 10 i name just ratnagiri hapus... man nothing compares to it....dus ke barabar hai 😊
Know of a family who fondly was carrying teh above hapus which like cost 200Rs per dozen. The customs here became suspicious and were about to throw away those in the trash.. when these guys suddenly had a realization.. They took the cases aside, removed the mangoes and sat eating right there in front of the customs... to their utter dismay... πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Qwert I would do the same even if I miss the darn flight πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Originally posted by: Dabulls23

Maya is this recipe made with Kachche Aam ya phir riped mangoes? 

Panna is made with raw mangoes. That's why we cook it to take the pulp out.

Dabulls23 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Maya_M

Panna is made with raw mangoes. That's why we cook it to take the pulp out.

Thanks maya 😊