SholaJoBhadkey thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

The mango season is upon us - you aren't worth your salt as an Indian if you can't name at least 10 different varieties of mangoesπŸ˜ƒ. As someone who grew up in Delhi, I used to hear a lot about the heavenly Alphonso or "aaphus" as it is known in local parlance, but didn't really see it being sold in the local vegetable shops. When I finally got to taste it, I enjoyed it, but couldn't figure out the hype. To me "Banaras ka Langda" is the best πŸ˜›! Heavenly sweetness with a hint of tanginess. The smell is enough to make you salivate. (I can already hear the Alphonso afficionados sharpening their knives πŸ˜†)

Debate: What is the best mango according to you? Please write at least 50 words to support your opinion. If you are not a mango lover, you don't know what you are missing. Go buy a crate now.

Disclaimer: DM me kuch kadvahat ka ahsaas ho raha tha, is liye aam khaatey khaatey, ye meetha khayal aaya. Please keep the thread sickly sweet. I will supply everyone with karele ka juice later on!!!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

manjujain thumbnail
Ok SJB, let me be the forst one to say something here. I love dussehri aam. It has very different taste than any other one. The best part it it has no 'laffosade' basically the things do not bother in between teeth. It's sweet. I miss it as I do not get it it US....
raunaq thumbnail
πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ i thought your thread is about mango tang juice and as you said those who dont like mangoes, they dont know what they are missing, unfortunately i know only one name of mango and that is mango, aam πŸ˜• and why it is called banaras ka langda? does that mango has only one leg? but mangoes dont have legs then how come this name? πŸ˜•

sholaji, your tone of post is similar to serialbuff, are you serial buff? Edited by raunaq - 16 years ago
SholaJoBhadkey thumbnail

Originally posted by: manjujain

Ok SJB, let me be the forst one to say something here. I love dussehri aam. It has very different taste than any other one. The best part it it has no 'laffosade' basically the things do not bother in between teeth. It's sweet. I miss it as I do not get it it US....

Thank you, Manjuji. That's another mango that everyone else raves about, but I don't like. I find it too sweet. It's not even available here because it's too delicate for long-haul transportation.

SholaJoBhadkey thumbnail

Originally posted by: raunaq

πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ i thought your thread is about mango tang juice and as you said those who dont like mangoes, they dont know what they are missing, unfortunately i know only one name of mango and that is mango, aam πŸ˜• and why it is called banaras ka langda? does that mango has only one leg? but mangoes dont have legs then how come this name? πŸ˜•

sholaji, your tone of post is similar to serialbuff, are you serial buff?

Yes Raunaq dear, I am wahi purani serialbuff πŸ˜› in a new ID-SJB.

Mango is aam, but one of its varieties is called "Langda" - even I have no idea why πŸ˜†. It's place of origin is in and around Banaras, hence "Banaras ka Langda".

So which is your favourite variety?

raunaq thumbnail

Originally posted by: SholaJoBhadkey

Yes Raunaq dear, I am wahi purani serialbuff πŸ˜›in a new ID-SJB.

Mango is aam, but one of its varieties is called "Langda" - even I have no idea why πŸ˜†. It's place of origin is in and around Banaras, hence "Banaras ka Langda".

So which is your favourite variety?

serialbuff πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† i wonder why you changed your name, SJB, i thought its sanjay leela bhansali but then looking at your id it can be SLB πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

i dont know any variety but any mango is πŸ‘πŸΌ , i asked my folks about langda and yes you are right its one of the varieties, i dont know much about varieties but whatever mango comes my way is yum yum πŸ˜ƒ

P.S. i am so happy DM is going to increase my knowledge about mango variety πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† Edited by raunaq - 16 years ago
Dabulls23 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
I have had so many different varieties as growing up in Mumbai. Mango and Maharashtra goes together πŸ˜‰πŸ˜†

Best mango I have ever tasted in India is 'Mulgoa' Mango. Fruit is quite big. Firm, sweet and juicy at the same time. I would say a bigger version of Aafus. The last time I had it was in 1971 in Amreli (Part of Gujarat) where my aunt lives.

Here in US I love mangoes by Kent. This yr we are having so many different types of Mangoes even from India. Surprisingly they all are great in tasting. So the crop must have been a good one.

Here you can find all the different varieties of mangoes in India.
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/mango_ars.html#Var ieties

'Mulgoa'–high quality but a shy bearer

manjujain thumbnail

Mango

peanut, coconut, hybrid coconutIntroduction
Mangos were brought to England and Europe after the English occupied India in 1800's. Today, India is the world's largest mango producer, growing nearly 1000 varieties of mango and contributing over 50 per cent of the world's total mango production of approximately 23 million metric tons. Hence the Mango, Mangifera indica L., is the most economically important fruit.

Production area
The Indian states with abundant growth of various varieties of mangoes are Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Goa, Gujarat, Haryana, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Orissa, Punjab, Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal.

Growth promotional activities
Mango is grown in an area of 1.23 million ha with an annual production of 10.99 million tonnes, which accounts for 57.18 per cent of the total world production. Since liberalization several policy measures have been taken with regard to regulation & control, fiscal policy, export & import, taxation, exchange & interest rate control, export promotion and incentives to high priority industries. This sector is regulated by the Fruit Products Order, 1955 (FPO), issued under the Essential Commodities Act. All processing units are required to obtain a license under this order. Periodic inspection of units is also carried out and consignments of fruit & vegetable products intended for export are subject to pre-shipment inspection under the FPO. However, recognized Export Houses and Star Trading Houses are exempt from this inspection.

Types
The cultivated mango is probably a natural hybrid between M. indica and M. sylvatica occurring in southeastern Asia to India. The varieties grown in India are Alphonso, Bangalora, Banganpalli, Bombai, Bombay Green, Dashehari, Fajli, Fernnadin, Himsagar, Kesar, Kishen Bhog, Langra, Mankurad, Mulgoa, Neelum, Chausa, Suvarnarekha, Vanraj, Zardalu Hybrid Varieties produced in India are Amarapali, Mallika, Arka Aruna, Arka Puneet, Arka Anmol, Arka Neelkiran, Ratna, Sindhu, Au Rumani, Manjeera. Other hybrid varieties released are Alfazali, Sundar Langra, Sabri, Jawahar, Neelphonso, Neeleshan, Neeleshwari and PKM2.
raj5000 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
This a easy going topic, for a change. SB and VT πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Alphonso is the best, there is no match.

Mango (50 words exact 😊 )- reminds me of summer vacations, After lunch dinner chilled slice of Mango.. wah wah divine. Mango symbolizes that Men are always of a go, good thing. It also projects a very common human trait, Maago..Maagooooo...aur Mangooooo - kuch khud doy nahi bas Mangtey raho. πŸ˜† silly j/ks.. easin my mind
mermaid_QT thumbnail
My "KOKANCHA RAJA" HAAPOOS is the only MANGO in my fruit book πŸ˜‰  πŸ˜† πŸ˜† Edited by mermaid_QT - 16 years ago