Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

lighthouse thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

LH is it you or is it eggy in disguiseπŸ˜†

πŸ˜† πŸ˜† .. Ok  ... I better stop now... Taking his flirting with humor too seriously .....πŸ˜‰ I knew I should have stuck to calling you Qwerts...πŸ˜‰

i strongly believe in God and those of u who dont should see man main hai vishwas on sony.
and one does experience things in real life also but we choose to ignore them.

god is there and spirituality is a way of communicating with God.
Morning_Dew thumbnail

Originally posted by: chatbuster

great questions. am still trying to figure out some of those answers, but for now had a couple of questions on spirituality/ religion i'd read somewhere. a bit tangential to the thrust of your questions but still.😊

1. does our belief in God affect the way we lead our lives? should it?

2. when we think of God (assuming we do), is the dominant feeling one of a God we should fear or of a loving God?

cheers😊

Very good questions ..
Infact there are so many questions  in my mind regarding this issue ... I must admit I am still in search of an answer 😊
However I would like to share whatever  I understand so far..

I think believing on God gives a calming effect same as that of a parent to a child when his\her querries for unknown are satisfied by an stronger being ,his \her Security...... a parent .  good effect would be ... a person would use his mental energies towards more creative things other than solving some unknown factors  for eg... why most of the time good people face the worst situations etc.
I think even if  I didn't  believe in God I would have  lived some what the same life........ following general ethical rules of society , but with an element of anxiety .. may be anger or sadness ..after all being meaning less is not a good situation.😊
 As far as the second question is concerned .. . I find punishment is more effective motivation than rewards.. so I think  punishing God would be abit better. However God being loving or punishing is potentially a dangerous element in any religion. Followers may interpret religious teachings as an ultimate *Truth* their intepretations may not necessariliy acceptable according to general ethics, but to please their God they  might cross limits of ethics.  recently some where  I read a very good eg...which somehow define this particular relationship between religion and man .. for a  child whose father is in jail and mother steals to survive ,cop is a bad guy.... which is ofcourse not a reality but for a child this is *Truth*  told by his mother who is his only security for survival..
confusion starts when I find many logics and reasons going against the presence of God .. so I question myself if God really exist ??  but I mostly satisfy my spritual needs by  thinking ..it is true there is no evidence of His presence but we can't prove His absence either! .... Dil kay kush rakhnay ko Galib ye khayal acha hay 😊.  and not so illogical  . ....

Edited by Morning_Dew - 17 years ago
ani11 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: sandya_rao7

i strongly believe in God and those of u who dont should see man main hai vishwas on sony.

Sandhya i KNOW that there is a God ,just don't know how to prove it...and don't want to prove it either...

BTW what makes u think that the people who see the vastness of nature around them ,the unexplained phenomenons around them......can't explain where everything came from......will start believing in God if they start watching a TV show.........how can someone who can't learn from their own experience learn from others.

Having said that....i respect the views of the people who don't believe in the existence of God............May the God i believe in bless them........😳

sowmyaa thumbnail

Originally posted by: reeps

Hello once again,

I have decided to entertain and invest energy here instead of studying.πŸ˜†Anywho, I shall not regret, considering the questions are important to me!

So tell me, how important is spirituality and religion to you? Do we only go to religion to find peace of mind from all else? Gives us a sense of being protected? we all need that? how do athiests deal with this issue?? They have nobody to fall back on?? CAn we not rely on ourselves?? Is it lack of confidence? fear of all?? all just seeds put in us by society???Does society makes us strong or weak individuals? Impediment to growth, esp. with all sorts of stigma that exist in society, and keep us bound to ''acceptable" behavior? or adds spice to life, and enrich us, and are a good tool for our development?πŸ˜ƒ

Thoughts appreciated!

Persy

Good post reeps. I don't think people always go to religion to find peace. Atleast I have lot of other places to go to find peace of mind. I have a friend who is an atheists, and I myself am not strong religion follower. For some their soul is more important than religion. Music can give peace of mind to some, whereas silence can give to some, some can also find peace by talking to their sould and introspection. You don't always need religion for that. Like you asked, Ys, we can rely on ourself. Society can influence some a lot. They can make you strong or weak like you said. But it is ultimately you who decides how much you want others (society) to govern your self. Society is not always your well wisher. And if it's not your well wisher you cannot give them all they ask for ..right? 😊
sowmyaa thumbnail

Originally posted by: egghatcher

heres something to ponder about then

krishna says na daiva charetam charet ........ do not emulate me

christ on the other hand asserts the meek shall inherit the earth .

I firmly believe in god leading me through my conscience if i am listening to it all the time .... problem comes when i you the rest of the world ignores that soft nudgy voice that tells us stop go that way or stop back off or stop but keep moving now slowly ... these subtleties are the ones that HE speaks to us by...on a broad scale He helps us make lifes major decisions as well if we are again receptive ..lay our cards on the table of cogitation as it were reflect with all the honesty one can muster ....and that may also include decisons made in academics , job, business marriage , relations friends just about everything

I personally have survived thrice from getting killed just by listening to this inner voice I kid u not. and can only speak from my own personal experience and offer some analytical explanation

Well said Eggy. I totally agree with you. Concience is like God who show you right direction and warn you from right or wrong. I would rather listen to my conscience than a religious book or something that my religion teach me. I think Conscience is something more important that any other religion book. You as human know exactly what is right and what is wrong, you just have to listen to you Conscience.
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: egghatcher

heres something to ponder about then

krishna says na daiva charetam charet ........ do not emulate me

christ on the other hand asserts the meek shall inherit the earth .

I firmly believe in god leading me through my conscience if i am listening to it all the time .... problem comes when i  you the rest of the world ignores that soft nudgy voice that tells us stop go that way or stop back off or stop but keep moving now slowly ... these subtleties are the ones that HE speaks to us by...on a broad scale He helps us make lifes major decisions as well if we are again receptive ..lay our cards on the table of cogitation as it were reflect with all the honesty one can muster ....and that may also include decisons made in academics , job, business marriage , relations friends just about everything

I personally have survived thrice from getting killed just by listening to this inner voice  I kid u not. and can only speak from my own personal experience and offer some analytical explanation

Conscience is build through the super-ego which basically got moulded when you were 5 or so. So ridicule led to withdrawal, criticism to lack of confidence, appreciation to increased confidence....etc... now you are saying all this melange is your guiding beacon...  Do you know sometimes this God can be veri confused to even guide you πŸ˜†.. At times its better flipping a coin if the decision is binary but if there are many options throw a dice....πŸ˜† the odds are better...

sareg thumbnail

Originally posted by: sandya_rao7

I have to watch a TV serial to find godπŸ˜•

πŸ€”finding god is becoming torture these days

Morning_Dew thumbnail

Originally posted by: sareg

I have to watch a TV serial to find godπŸ˜•

πŸ€”finding god is becoming torture these days

πŸ˜†
lighthouse thumbnail

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

Conscience is build through the super-ego which basically got moulded when you were 5 or so. So ridicule led to withdrawal, criticism to lack of confidence, appreciation to increased confidence....etc... now you are saying all this melange is your guiding beacon...  Do you know sometimes this God can be veri confused to even guide you πŸ˜†.. At times its better flipping a coin if the decision is binary but if there are many options throw a dice....πŸ˜† the odds are better...

I disagree Qwerts.... How do you explain the confidence, faith, self esteem and determination of 5 yr old who was orphaned, neglected or unwanted child who simply had a tough childhood without dotting parents from day 1?.... This child probably never was appreciated, hugged or acknowledged in the first place to develop any ego forget super ego....

In fact such kids grow up to be guided by some inner force and turn out to be support for others.. It has to be God through conscience that leads them through trajectory of life and still feel blessed for having a life that may not have happened...

Eggy, very touching post...

Chidanand Rupah Shivo hum, Shivo hum........... I am Existence Absolute, Knowledge Absolute, Bliss Absolute;I am He, I am He. (Shivo Hum, Shivo, Hum).

Edited by lighthouse - 17 years ago