Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mermaid_QT thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
WB Myth!
I had posted the link to the thread , if you like to check it out , since it was one of the better debates DM has had πŸ˜ƒ

subha diEdited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago
IdeaQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: mermaid_QT

WB Myth!
I had posted the link to the thread , if you like to check it out , since it was one of the better debates DM has had πŸ˜ƒ

subha di

Yeah that post made by Buffie is the best! I too enjoyed a lot  posting in  it!!! The questions raised by Buffie and  our answers were well debated in it!

Edited by mythili_Kiran - 17 years ago
lighthouse thumbnail

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

thats the self-orchestrated rules of math and science...there is no purpose but to live and die... there is no greater mystic around that..But don't you think we live and strive to do good which has trickle effect on all around us..for the greater good....the inherent order is its stability by shape, form, nature or content...force fields,  there is no conductor in this orchestra.....Agreed but aren't we wired by laws of Karma, do unto what you want others to do to you.. so me thinks...its no good fooling ourselves but if God is reading this now, he may just about be getting ready to spank me...You could be in big trouble you know..πŸ˜† πŸ˜†  j/k...Agree with you that god is not some charmer...

Perhaps our perception of God is not accurate as we know it or are brought up to believe in...But we have inherent propensity to believe in something hence when things do not go our prefered way , we feel helpless, ask why and pray (not in temple) but in our hearts for things to change....😊

Edited by lighthouse - 17 years ago
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: lighthouse

Perhaps our perception of God is not accurate as we know it or are brought up to believe in...But we have inherent propensity to believe in something hence when things do not go our prefered way , we feel helpless, ask why and pray (not in temple) but in our hearts for things to change....😊 ...Yes you are right but thats not what we end up calling God, belief in something by itself doesnt establish what generally is understood as "God"..every religion have concepts of reward, retribution and redemption.... laid out which generally run through the community rather than individual perceptions...and they perceive the skies have more than whats obvious...😊

Morning_Dew thumbnail

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

Lekin is jannat ki haqiqat ka ahsas hota hey kitne botalon key baad...isse janat ki gaharai bhi naapi ja sakti hai... Ghalib..πŸ˜†

πŸ˜†πŸ˜† botlon kay baad bhi baat achi kehgia hay πŸ˜‰

Ye masail-e-tasawuf ye taira bayan Galib

tujhay hum wali samajhtay jo na bada khuar hota

Edited by Morning_Dew - 17 years ago
lighthouse thumbnail

True... but we are talking about spirituality here which IMO is different then religion.. I am not religious but I do respect and follow Bhagvad geeta.. I may not worship Krishna or Shiva in a way to appease them by fasting or whatever rituals are followed by many but nevertheless when I think of Krishna , it brings a certain calmness to my thoughts and soul....It is like meditation, one has to focus on something ... Becuase of our limited thinking or comprehensive abilities, we think of god as a human figure with human trappings but it could be just a guiding force for all we know..Not a supreme power to be worshipped but acknowledged for our own benefit......So we can be at peace with things we cannot understand..

Edited by lighthouse - 17 years ago
chatbuster thumbnail

Originally posted by: reeps

Hello once again,

I have decided to entertain and invest energy here instead of studying.πŸ˜†Anywho, I shall not regret, considering the questions are important to me!

So tell me, how important is spirituality and religion to you? Do we only go to religion to find peace of mind from all else? Gives us a sense of being protected? we all need that? how do athiests deal with this issue?? They have nobody to fall back on?? CAn we not rely on ourselves?? Is it lack of confidence? fear of all?? all just seeds put in us by society??? Does society makes us strong or weak individuals? Impediment to growth, esp. with all sorts of stigma that exist in society, and keep us bound to ''acceptable" behavior? or adds spice to life, and enrich us, and are a good tool for our development?πŸ˜ƒ

Thoughts appreciated!

Persy

great questions. am still trying to figure out some of those answers, but for now had a couple of questions on spirituality/ religion i'd read somewhere. a bit tangential to the thrust of your questions but still.😊

1. does our belief in God affect the way we lead our lives? should it?

2. when we think of God (assuming we do), is the dominant feeling one of a God we should fear or of a loving God?

cheers😊

mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: reeps

Great post Reeps.  These are difficult questions and probably one life time is not enough to understand them 😳.

So tell me, how important is spirituality and religion to you?

spirituality- very important, religion- somewhat, rituals- not the least

we only go to religion to find peace of mind from all else?

Not always!  I do agree that there are some people who do certain rituals / go to temple etc when they are in trouble and need to find peace.  Peace is within and and is difficult to fin at times of adversities.  i don't think pretending to become religious will help you seek it either, but it does give a momentary satisfaction to some.  It is a far better option that certain others chosen by bitter people, or people with low / no self-esteem/ or dishonest people.

Gives us a sense of being protected? we all need that?

Religion being way of life, ofcourse it gives us guidelines.  I am not sure if protection comes along 😳.  We all do need protection and family, freinds and communicating with them is a great way to feel protected πŸ‘πŸΌ. 

how do athiests deal with this issue?? They have nobody to fall back on??

I have no clue

Can we not rely on ourselves?? Is it lack of confidence? fear of all??

Ofcourse we rely on ourselves.  Our religion is our way of life and it is our life.  Decisions we make will make us who we are.   Guideance from those we find respectable does not hurt though.  Our parents and our teachers have a great role in that.  Confidence and lack of fear of being destroyed by mistakes we make comes with age.  Family support should never be undermined, yet one should learn to be independent, confident and self-reliant as approapriate with age. No religion / elements of society should stop us from developing into successful individuals 😳

all just seeds put in us by society??? Does society makes us strong or weak individuals? Impediment to growth, esp. with all sorts of stigma that exist in society, and keep us bound to ''acceptable" behavior? or adds spice to life, and enrich us, and are a good tool for our development?πŸ˜ƒ

These are relative terms and as always, society has its positive as well as negative points.

Take care and did you go back to study yet Persy ?  πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago
mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: chatbuster

when we look at things minutely, we can usually see only the trees and miss the forest. we see randomness but we miss the order amidst all the chaos. pretty much how stock market charts look or the cells in the lungs, or lots of things in nature. sort of hard to believe there is all this order and pattern without some higher purpose behind it all.😊

That is a beautiful way of looking at the bigger picture and acknowledging the divine supremacy.  

Originally posted by: chatbuster

R, these are really difficult 😳.  I have not thought a whole lot, but will write what comes to my mind first.

1. does our belief in God affect the way we lead our lives? should it?

God cannot be defined and that is the first level of difficulty in answering this question.  Let me consider that some people who don't believe in God, but do believe in THE FORCE  / Mother Nature all fall under one category.  That may make it a bit simpler.  I would love to believe that such people are not involved in what we call anti-social activities.  However, many of these indulge in violence.   Most religions and the belief in Mother Nature and its supremacy itself should have a HUMBLING effect.  It should help us look at not only our troubles, but troubles beyond ours and also to use our power in every way, to make LIFE better (Every thing is nature is teaching us to be in harmony and balance- from trees, creatures, rivers, oceans and mountains- even earthquakes and hurricanes for that matter)  But it does not seem to be the case.  If one indulges in war and mass-murders, rape and killings, in spite of believing in God, I wonder if the belief is enough and whether the belief affects our lives.

On the other hand, a person who doesn't believe in God, may be a great human being! 😳

2. when we think of God (assuming we do), is the dominant feeling one of a God we should fear or of a loving God?

I ended up thinking about fear of God, while ending my first thought (are you a mind reader? πŸ˜†)
Speaking for myself, on a personal level, LOVE is for God / The SUPREME, while the NON-questionable fear is of Karmic consequences.  I think the love for mother Nature really surpasses everything.   I could not hold my tears in banff national park just last year.  the glacier truly made me cry.  There is nothing as powerful as mother nature and her creations.. and this is merely one planet I get to see.  The awe I hold for the Creator makes me skip a heart beat thinking about it.   Fear IMO originates more from religious beliefs rather than the concept of God in itself.  It is my belief in KARMA that is a good warning πŸ˜†.   On a global level, one can be afraid of Mother Nature in terms of destruction caused by geological events such as earthquakes, Volcanoes and similar natural disasters.

People who believe in God and pray, sometimes don;t fear God / Karmic consequences - These are the ones indulging in wars, murders and other crimes.
cheers😊  Cheers to you too . 😊

Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago
chatbuster thumbnail

Originally posted by: egghatcher

well said rahul
there is method in every madness
we do tend to escape that method when we try to absorb the big picture .... as in a tv set with some 625 resolution lines.. omit one and there is distortion .

what is your take on the questions i posed about God?

the "should it" question is actually very philosophical imo. i remember reading those questions on the hallway in some campus. it was only after repeatedly seeing them that i began to realize that there's a lot more to those questions than appears on the surface...