Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

chatbuster thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
QT, from my perspective you had some very interesting points there. the stuff about karmic consequences was very well put.

might also want to think of the question a bit differently- if we knew there was no God (whatever one's concept of the Same), would we act/ feel differently? and should we change how do we do act/ feel on that basis. it really gets down to a prescription for how one should lead one's life.

a related question might also be whether the karmic belief of reincarnation/ after-life plays/ should play any part in how we lead our lives. does the western emphasis on enjoying this life with all it's materialistic aspects stem from the lack of belief in that after-life. there's also the question of analog versus digital heaven-hell consequences that i could throw in but that would take the discussion way off-topic i think... 😊 Edited by chatbuster - 17 years ago
mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: chatbuster

QT, from my perspective you had some very interesting points there. the stuff about karmic consequences was very well put.

might also want to think of the question a bit differently- if we knew there was no God (whatever one's concept of the Same), would we act/ feel differently? and should we change how do we do act/ feel on that basis. it really gets down to a prescription for how one should lead one's life.

a related question might also be whether the karmic belief of reincarnation/ after-life plays/ should play any part in how we lead our lives. does the western emphasis on enjoying this life with all it's materialistic aspects stem from the lack of belief in that after-life. there's also the question of analog versus digital heaven-hell consequences that i could throw in but that would take the discussion way off-topic i think... 😊

Wow!  Quite frankly, I have never thought about "what if there was no God".. That makes it difficult for me to answer, but will come back πŸ˜ƒ
🀣 @ analogue vs digital heaven vs hell..
Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago
chatbuster thumbnail

Originally posted by: mermaid_QT

Wow!  Quite frankly, I have never thought about "what if there was no God".. That makes it difficult for me to answer, but will come back πŸ˜ƒ
🀣 @ analogue vs digital heaven vs hell..

haha, dont know why but i think that would have more people partying it up and living life the Sodom wayπŸ˜‰πŸ˜† 

ok that's a joke😊

qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: lighthouse

True... but we are talking about spirituality here which IMO is different then religion.. I am not religious but I do respect and follow Bhagvad geeta.. I may not worship Krishna or Shiva in a way to appease them by fasting or whatever rituals are followed by many but nevertheless when I think of Krishna , it brings a certain calmness to my thoughts and soul....It is like meditation, one has to focus on something ... Becuase of our limited thinking or comprehensive abilities, we think of god as a human figure with human trappings but it could be just a guiding force for all we know..Not a supreme power to be worshipped but acknowledged for our own benefit......So we can be at peace with things we cannot understand..

Ok if you are spiritual without being religious all you are saying is those things I create in my mind to lean on are just some interpretations I do about some printed material in this granth called Bhagavad Gita right.?.. there is no mystic.. its equivalent to someone reading Neitsche or Kant and others get influenced by that. What you expect that  there is some abstraction created in such a book where you have ample opportunity to lean on...So for example you may not read existential stuff like Camus... In short spirituality is seeking and subscribing to some such diverse concepts which possibly can give you some foot-hold into understanding the unknown.. and that may not be the truth so you want is a feel good "fool-me" factor...

Edited by qwertyesque - 17 years ago
mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: chatbuster

I did some reading on this and learnt that there are very many kinds of people who do not believe in God – they may be agnostics, atheists, brights, freethinkers, humanists, naturalists, rationalists, skeptics, and universistic.   I do know that jokingly you mentioned Sodom.  That is also the first thing that came to my mind when you asked – what if we knew there was no GOD.   Promptly, I thought of a Godless individual living in sin and excessive narcissism.  However, reading about the philosophy of those who question presence of God/ deny God's existence, makes me wonder if I would really be different if born to one of those. 
R, I may flip & slip at some point, 😳 but for now, I think that if I did not believe in God, I would have been probably one of the above and been very similar to who I am today.  I read several atheist's blogs in the past 40 hours and many of them seem to speak against violence, against human torture and against apathy, just as I do. πŸ‘πŸΌ On the contrary to being sinful, many of the atheists question crusades that have apparently taught us nothing since we continue to fight wars in the 21st century over matters of God / religion -misconstrued.   When I thought a bit more, I also realized that all of us (God-believing majority) umpteen number of times take advantage of the fact that God is not around us as one single entity (like a parent or teacher) to make us face the consequences of our actions right then and there.  Global warming speaks for that.  On one hand, we clap and marvel at God's creation of this beautiful planet and many such, but we cannot follow easy steps that will keep it clean and green.  So do we really act as if we believe in God and care for His creation? 😳
I was also pleasantly surprised to know that several atheists believe in strong family values and friends πŸ˜ƒwho mainly form their SUPPORT system.  I think that just like me, many of them want to thrive to become successful, famous and make the world a peaceful place.  As long as they believe in peace and co-existance and betterment of this world, I think their beliefs are also respect-worthy, whether they accept God in their lives or not. However, while not believeing in God, I would have been CURIOUS to know how all following was made and where it came from and why it is so orderly.  Ironically, that itself is quest for God! isn't it?  Would that QT have given it another name then? πŸ˜›

If writing the above makes someone question my faith and belief in God and importance of God's existence, I do not blame them.  However, I am happy to believe in God / Mother Nature / Supreme / Satyam.
I definitely would like to say, that it is good to have ONE FORCE to be thankful to for all this beautiful gifts LIFE brings.  I could thank my parents for me and their parents for them - but who would I thank for the oceans I can spend my life in, the moon, the starlit night, the snow-capped mountains, the first monsoon shower soaking Marine drive and my soul in it, the first snow that decks the grey and naked branches of trees after leaves have left them to shiver in in Ohio-November, the spring sunshine that then follows the harsh winter, a pet dog that licks my hands as if there was nothing sweeter than me, & these friends and on-line friends that don't fail to support, care for  & accompany me? 
Who do I thank for all this?  Who do I want to be a part of?  Who and what would be my destination after here?
As a believer, I also do not undermine the power of prayer, though I need no temple for that.  I will continue to believe in praying for and thanking for well-being of every one. No,  I have no clue what I would done regarding that as a non-believer.  I wonder whether the support system would have worked in a different way.

a related question might also be whether the karmic belief of reincarnation/ after-life plays/ should play any part in how we lead our lives. does the western emphasis on enjoying this life with all it's materialistic aspects stem from the lack of belief in that after-life. there's also the question of analog versus digital heaven-hell consequences that i could throw in but that would take the discussion way off-topic i think... 😊

I don't think it essentially should play a part, as long as one focuses on THIS LIFE BEING MEANINGFUL, HAPPY & HELPFUL, ATLEAST NOT HURTFUL!

Many of us do not believe in after-life.  If we have a great control on their doings in this life without the fear of either burning in hell or coming back as a lab rat, it is great!  As long as we don't create hell on earth for others, I am fine with it. πŸ˜†   However, many of us need to have a check-point, a warning, because as curious, smart and active animals,  we are bound to make mistakes and try to cover them up πŸ˜‰ till we can. Since we are excruciatingly limited in terms of our control over Shadripu, it is good to be afraid of / in awe of something! Of course, those who believe in after-life, in karma and in heaven and hell also commit to sinful life 🀒.  No denying that!! 
On the other hand, so what if good-karma -accumulation to moksha is probably a piece of cheese outside my hamsterwheeel cage life? I am fine running for it πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

In the end, I will ask a question that came to my mind.  Since you believe in God,  why in your opinion -  His existence is for our human brain to acknowledge, speculate and feel, yet He does not exist like one of us / one of His creations, in body/ mass.   (no gender bias suggested here, He -> He/She)

lighthouse thumbnail

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

Ok if you are spiritual without being religious all you are saying is those things I create in my mind to lean on are just some interpretations I do about some printed material in this granth called Bhagavad Gita right.?.. there is no mystic.. its equivalent to someone reading Neitsche or Kant and others get influenced by that. What you expect that  there is some abstraction created in such a book where you have ample opportunity to lean on...So for example you may not read existential stuff like Camus... In short spirituality is seeking and subscribing to some such diverse concepts which possibly can give you some foot-hold into understanding the unknown.. and that may not be the truth so you want is a feel good "fool-me" factor...

Qwerts.. No one claims to know the truth..except science... Yes whether you read Geeta or Absurdity by Camus , the truth is you are seeking answers to the unknown and the purpose of life even though Camus doesn't think life has any particular purpose...

Will add more later... need to think about this seriously.. Good post..πŸ‘πŸΌ

Edited by lighthouse - 17 years ago
qwertyesque thumbnail

Qwerts.. No one claims to know the truth..except science... Yes whether you read Geeta or Absurdity by Camus , the truth is you are seeking answers to the unknown and the purpose of life even though Camus doesn't think life has any particular purpose...

Will add more later... need to think about this seriously.. Good post..πŸ‘πŸΌ

Thanks .. and Science never ever claims to know the truth.. Science simply seeks..the truth..in the most humble manner..😊. Religion makes that tall claim...by defining a closed system abstraction.😊.. Waiting for your additional inputs..😊

mermaid_QT thumbnail

Thanks .. and Science never ever claims to know the truth.. Science simply seeks..the truth..in the most humble manner..😊. Religion makes that tall claim...by defining a closed system abstraction.😊

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
lighthouse thumbnail

Thanks .. and Science never ever claims to know the truth.. Science simply seeks..the truth..in the most humble manner..😊. Religion makes that tall claim...by defining a closed system abstraction.😊.. Waiting for your additional inputs..😊

πŸ˜³ Awwww. when you put it that way Qwertoo, feel like praying now...πŸ˜† for Punjini's virtuosity, Minnie's classism and Eggy's coveted eggydict ... πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜‰ .. sorry just hooked up a DVD recorder and was dealing with 3 prong wires...πŸ˜†

Edited by lighthouse - 17 years ago
qwertyesque thumbnail

πŸ˜³ Awwww. when you put it that way Qwertoo, feel like praying now...πŸ˜† for Punjini's virtuosity, Minnie's classism and Eggy's coveted eggydict ... πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜‰ .. sorry just hooked up a DVD recorder and was dealing with 3 prong wires...πŸ˜†

LH is it you or is it eggy in disguiseπŸ˜†