Enough with nepotism; let's talk about "pretty privilege."

FatalFlaw thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 6 months ago

The most vocal critics of nepotism are usually the fans of actors who owe their prominence primarily to their physical appearance rather than their talent. Stardom doesn't solely hinge on talent. Let's be honest about it.

From Madhuri to Aishwarya, Priyanka to Sushmita, and Katrina to Pooja Hegde, all of them are where they are not primarily due to their acting prowess but because of their beauty and looks. While some of them eventually learn the craft of acting, their initial breakthroughs were/are often propelled by their beauty—a privilege they were born with, much like the nepotism associated with those born into film families. Though the criticism is more vocal towards the latter, while the former often goes unaddressed. 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Sid the sloth 

priya185 thumbnail

Priyanka is known for acting more than looks

Katrina was pretty in her prime no she went overboard with lip fillers and botox

Aishwarya and Madhuri are more focused on their children now and barely do films

FatalFlaw thumbnail

Pooja Hegde has yet to deliver a single box office hit in her career, but she manages to secure roles in big-budget films. The girl has already worked with Hrithik Roshan and Ranveer Singh and is about to star in a big movie with Shahid Kapoor.

Katrina Kaif, despite nearly two decades in the industry, still lacks the basic acting skills. It makes you think when you realize that the title of "worst actress" in Bollywood by a majority vote doesn't belong to a star kid but an outsider.

Aishwarya Rai was often considered the least talented in actinv among her contemporaries, but she persevered for a long time.

FatalFlaw thumbnail

Yeah, that wooden actor as well, but male actors don't capture my interest, (unless they are hot and I don't find anyone hot right now) so I tend to avoid discussing them.

GaramAloo thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Isn't this true for most film industries across the world? Movie stars need to be lookers, indie/character actors need to have talent. For actresses in particular, I'm trying to think of someone who's a big star and not also very attractive (at least in the majority opinion).

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Being easy on the eyes is a big part of JOB REQUIREMENTS in Bollywood.

Not privilege. 

Being nepo is not a requirement. In fact, you can work in Bollywood as a nepo without meeting ANY of the job requirements. Ie, looks or talent.

Nepo is plain privilege. 

Edited by HearMeRoar - 6 months ago
Beautyful_Mess thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8

You do have a point but it’s absolute requirement of the job to look good though so like nepotism we can’t blame them for using it to their advantage. I generally don’t care for this whole nepotism movement that’s been going on but… 

IAmLuvBolly thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

I think that’s a rather simplistic way of looking at this.  Pretty actresses have either had massive success or they’ve had nothing to do with the failure of the movie as in their name didn’t affect the movie at all.  

Madhuri Dixit was very successful in the 90s.  Yes she had her fair share of flops but she also had her fair share of blockbusters, just like the Khans and Ajay and Akshay.  Katrina may not be a great actress but she reached great heights due to her sex appeal and ability to dance and sell the item songs.  Can you imagine someone else doing Sheila Ki Jawaani or Chickni Chameli?  Priyanka is very talented and was always recognized for her talent.  Aishwarya also has had massive success with SLB and her iconic dances.  All of these ladies have contributed to their movies and to Bollywood.  Pooja Hegde might be the exception here but has she done anything more than just flowerpot roles?  Why blame her for anything when all she’s being utilized for is her looks and her ability to dance?  If her movies have failed it’s on the maker or the lead hero.  

Novarieaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

"Pretty privilege" in its actual meaning, doesn't hold true for the industry. 

You need to be looking good onscreen. It sounds rather rude but that's true. 

Nawazuddin Siddiqui may be an acting powerhouse but he will never be considered a "hero". Katrina and Sharddha undoubtedly lack in acting skills but one can't deny the massive male followers they enjoy due to their very pretty looks. 

I would say it's a requirement for the job. 

Edited by Phosphorus - 6 months ago