The case of actors "eating alive" their costars - Page 3

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

simplyrdb thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 months ago

There is a classic example in this case, a legendary one involving Dilip Kumar and Raj Kapoor. Now, everyone knows who's the better actor among the two, but when the two acted together in Andaz (1949, and also probably the only film together), Raj Kapoor stole the show. 

There is no point debating it now as its history. Anyone who has seen the movie will know why. It should make it clear that more than the actual 'acting' the characterisation also plays a critical role. Dilip Kumar was superb, but Raj Kapoor's character had an instant connection. 

Then there is a Roti Kapda Aur Makaan, where among existing stars, the upcoming Amitabh Bachchan easily stands out. Everyone had solid roles here. 

piya2025 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

Disagree to certain extent. To me it's a blend of both actors' performance & the character. Just like I liked SRK in Darr, Madhuri in Devdas, Varun in SOTY, Saif in Omkara, PC as Kashibai or RV in Padmavat. The characters, how it's written sure has a certain edge but if the actor won't deliver, I don't think audience (mostly) fall for them.

Reason why there are certain dramas, films where you empathise with even the anti-hero because you know you just GET them while the supposed hero looks like lallus.

FatalFlaw thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: piya2025

Disagree to certain extent. To me it's a blend of both actors' performance & the character. Just like I liked SRK in Darr, Madhuri in Devdas, Varun in SOTY, Saif in Omkara, PC as Kashibai or RV in Padmavat. The characters, how it's written sure has a certain edge but if the actor won't deliver, I don't think audience (mostly) fall for them.

Reason why there are certain dramas, films where you empathise with even the anti-hero because you know you just GET them while the supposed hero looks like lallus.

I'm not saying you don't need some acting chops to outshine others, but to really outshine another actor, it's all about the script and how the character is written. I mean, of course,  you can't just take a deadpan actor, hand them an amazing role, and hope they'll outshine someone who's a pro at what they do.

I_M_SultaN thumbnail

Originally posted by: Guddu.Pandit

I agree with TM.

1. Aman eat away Rahul in KKHH.

2. Arjun eat away Karan in Karan Arjun.

3. Rohit eat away Aman in KHNH.

I Would say all Khan Saab's hits are coz of his co-stars, not coz of him.

WOW post 

FatalFlaw thumbnail

Originally posted by: simplyrdb

There is a classic example in this case, a legendary one involving Dilip Kumar and Raj Kapoor. Now, everyone knows who's the better actor among the two, but when the two acted together in Andaz (1949, and also probably the only film together), Raj Kapoor stole the show. 

There is no point debating it now as its history. Anyone who has seen the movie will know why. It should make it clear that more than the actual 'acting' the characterisation also plays a critical role. Dilip Kumar was superb, but Raj Kapoor's character had an instant connection. 

Then there is a Roti Kapda Aur Makaan, where among existing stars, the upcoming Amitabh Bachchan easily stands out. Everyone had solid roles here. 

Appreciate you bringing up these examples. 

There are plenty when you start looking into it.

blahhhh thumbnail
Anniversary 2 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Sometimes it's true.2 actors A and B are in a movie,A outperforms B but if B's calibre is high then you can easily imagine B overshadowing A in some other movie where characters are different.

But sometimes it's also not true.Kashibai worked evem more coz of the actress,not that the writing did her bad but PC elevated it even more.If DP was playing Kashibai n PC mastaani,then audience's reactions would have got affected.We would have still sympathised with Kashibai but for instance I can't imagine the guroor scene becoming so iconic had DP played it.And the audience is smarter than getting confused between characters and actors.We know that sympathizing with a character or enjoying a character is different than appreciating an actor.

FatalFlaw thumbnail

That's a solid point. To imagine Deepika as Kashibai and wonder whether she'd steal the spotlight from Mastani (if played by PC), I think she might have. The scene in Ramleela, where she clashes with Ranveer after her mother gets shot, over their families' killings, kind of mirrors the emotions, the agony, and the subtle fury of the scene you are talking about. But hey, I might be stretching it a bit. We'll never really find out.

Edited by FatalFlaw - 7 months ago
e1t53e thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: FatalFlaw

That's a solid point. To imagine Deepika as Kashibai and wonder whether she'd steal the spotlight from Mastani (if played by PC), I think she might have. The scene in Ramleela, where she clashes with Ranveer after her mother gets shot, over their families' killings, kind of mirrors the emotions, the agony, and the subtle fury of the scene you are talking about. But hey, I might be stretching it a bit. We'll never really find out.

In that Ramleela scene ,despite her being the author backed one as in getting the best dialogues and the last word(talking about just that scene because I haven’t yet watched the entire movie), Ranveer easily outshines her. Deepika just doesn’t have it in her to take a scene to another level with her sheer acting. At the most she can only go as far as the scene can take her. Her dialogue delivery is her biggest shortcoming. 

Supari_khala thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 11 Thumbnail + 7

Characters stand out when they have a well developed arc in the story. A latent character that does not evolve in either direction is no fun to watch. Of course, all of this is moot if the characters are portrayed by amateur actors. You still need talent to make it stick. 

you2 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6

On another context..perhaps acting.No actress's  career survived after being cast in a Deepika film.They went on to do much smaller films than they did before.

No hero survived for long either.They all have had to go through the post Deepika slump period.

Edited by you2 - 7 months ago