The case of actors "eating alive" their costars

FatalFlaw thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 6 months ago

I came across a video of Jaideep Ahlwat on Twitter, and he was sharing his thoughts on actors "eating alive" their fellow actors on screen. He says this notion is quite absurd and dismissive and when one actor empowers another on screen, it's because the roles they're given are written that way.

Let's take the famous example of Mastani and Kashibai. When Priyanka's character seems to "outshine" Deepika's, it's not because of their acting skills but because the story makes you empathize with someone who's been betrayed in a marriage. You don't naturally feel for the cheater, right? Of course, Priyanka's experience as an actress is undeniable, but it's the way the characters are written that leads to these dynamics.

Now, you don't see the same debate about Aishwarya and Madhuri in Devdas. Because Paro's character meets a tragic end, and the audience is meant to feel the most empathy for her, along with Devdas. So, it's all about how the roles are crafted and the emotions they're designed to evoke in us.

Do you agree or disagree?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Maroonporsche thumbnail

If I don’t feel a connection with the character the writing (even if it one sided wont help) 

I saw Piku and well the less said about Big Bs character the better. Let me donate my body to science before I become a crazy old man like that, An he’s the hero of the movie “allegedly” smiley36 It’s why that film never really resonated with me 

pathaka thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6

Naah like saif and konkona in omkara completely chewed and left no crumbs …omkara was based on othello and the villain iago and his wife were not empathetic characters …and they aren’t even as well remembered as the main characters 

And it’s not like langda tyagi was showboaty like khilji in padmaavat either 

But saif and konkona just did such a good job with it, that’s all I remember from omkara (apart from bheedi jalaile) 

Even when the characters aren’t particularly spectacular or empathetic,  or even share the most screen time, they made a mark 

Edited by pathaka - 6 months ago
infinity101 thumbnail
Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Anniversary 7 Thumbnail + 3

Disagree. Acting matters a lot too, just because we tend to sympathise with one character more, doesn’t mean we should completely discredit the fact that they also performed better. This is a very flawed perspective IMO. PC ate DP alive in that film, not only because her character was well written and it was meant to generate “sympathy” in audience’s minds, but because her performance was top notch and it showed onscreen, whereas Deepika was simply bad in that film. 

MostlyHarmIess thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

No, but like why did Ms. Braganza and Mr. Malhotra eat Rahul-Anjali-Tina alive and leave no crumbs. They had no right 

FatalFlaw thumbnail

I think Saif stood out in Omkara because of how he went from that cute young guy to this seriously menacing villain – nobody saw that coming. It was his transformation that is as remembered as his acting. 

For me, the scene where Omkara kills Dolly Mishra is etched in my memory more than anything else, well, except for Beedi Jalaliye.

Edited by FatalFlaw - 6 months ago
FatalFlaw thumbnail

Originally posted by: infinity101

Disagree. Acting matters a lot too, just because we tend to sympathise with one character more, doesn’t mean we should completely discredit the fact that they also performed better. This is a very flawed perspective IMO. PC ate DP alive in that film, not only because her character was well written and it was meant to generate “sympathy” in audience’s minds, but because her performance was top notch and it showed onscreen, whereas Deepika was simply bad in that film. 

Of course, acting plays a role too. Like, imagine Katrina  as Kashibai – it just wouldn't feel right. But often, when two actors work together under the same director and one empowers the other, it's kinda on purpose, and it's not *all* about their acting skills. 

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Originally posted by: Maroonporsche

If I don’t feel a connection with the character the writing (even if it one sided wont help) 

I saw Piku and well the less said about Big Bs character the better. Let me donate my body to science before I become a crazy old man like that, An he’s the hero of the movie “allegedly” smiley36 It’s why that film never really resonated with me 

I think you were meant to emphasize with Pikusmiley36. I completely did. I remember when my dad made an urgent call to my work. I called back in panic, thinking someone fell, some accident or something. He just wanted me to get orange juice on the way home. Trust me... I know how Piku felt. I also know how she felt after he passed. I would've put up with any amount of craziness. 

Edited by HearMeRoar - 6 months ago
Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

I think you were meant to emphasize with Pikusmiley36. I completely did. I remember when my dad made an urgent call to my work. I called back in panic, thinking someone fell, some accident or something. He just wanted me to get orange juice on the way home. Trust me... I know how Piku felt. I also know how she felt after he passed. I would've put up with any amount of craziness. 

I was rooting for her to leave him on the side of the road. 😂 

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Agreed 100%

It's all about the writing. Clever writing makes one character more amenable to empathy.

But all said and done, it's a combination of writing and acting also. For example --- Rajkumar Rao in Bareilly Ki Barfi chewed up Ayushmann even though his part had more scope.