Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mango.falooda thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 1 years ago

normally, get bored of these events/festival episodes in ITV drama -- sometimes one day events basically run for a week or more of episodes and they are kind of a bore. most of the time, it seems like filler and a reason to play dress up and have the cast dance a song. doesn't add much to the story per se. 

this birthday celebration instead is woven in seamlessly. I like that they show the importance of having a good event as a reason to resolve family conflicts. it takes a little bit of humility and setting aside your pride and seeing it from another person's lens -- even a conflict running for years can be bridged with one small step.

papaG finally was able to tell mamaG in a calm voice how he was hurt when katha rebuffed him. mamaG then explained katha's perspective. similarly, when katha was explaining her frustration, dodo explained papaG's perspective. so when we are stuck in a loop of our hurt feelings, we need someone else to point out how another person feels in order to get a different view. 

so sometimes a good event can be a start to mend relationships, to take the first step to put aside those old hurts and feelings. and it makes sense to have a large gathering with lots of people and so there is no awkward pressure to make up or have those conversations. instead, a bit of an ice breaker. nice! 

Lethamukund thumbnail
Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Anniversary 2 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: mango.falooda

normally, get bored of these events/festival episodes in ITV drama -- sometimes one day events basically run for a week or more of episodes and they are kind of a bore. most of the time, it seems like filler and a reason to play dress up and have the cast dance a song. doesn't add much to the story per se. 

this birthday celebration instead is woven in seamlessly. I like that they show the importance of having a good event as a reason to resolve family conflicts. it takes a little bit of humility and setting aside your pride and seeing it from another person's lens -- even a conflict running for years can be bridged with one small step.

papaG finally was able to tell mamaG in a calm voice how he was hchurt when katha rebuffed him. mamaG then explained katha's perspective. similarly, when katha was explaining her frustration, dodo explained papaG's perspective. so when we are stuck in a loop of our hurt feelings, we need someone else to point out how another person feels in order to get a different view. 

so sometimes a good event can be a start to mend relationships, to take the first step to put aside those old hurts and feelings. and it makes sense to have a large gathering with lots of people and so there is no awkward pressure to make up or have those conversations. instead, a bit of an ice breaker. nice! 

I loved the way MamaG explained Katha's perspective to PapaG. And how Dodo made Katha realise that PapaG's reaction comes from his hurt. Hats off to the makers and channel to show the story entirely in a different manner than ITV shows. And how complex human emotions, conflicts and relationships are being shown in the most realistic and effective manner. 

I must thank Shalzie and Mango.falooda for suggesting me this  show to watch

Khushidum thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Thank you for the tag.

I’m loving the show and reading different perceptions on here.

I watched two episodes yesterday and oddly enough I supported them both as they had a real pull and push thing going on.  I loved the scene where the ML was desperate to get answers from Katha - he portrayed that really well.  For a minute I wanted Katha to tell him.  But then Katha pushed back and she was really in control of her emotions- she wanted the ML to suffer.  After watching her I then wanted the ML to suffer.,.,

im fascinated by the characters - I dislike the ML’s friend. I can’t seem to invest in that character.  

I am starting to warm to Dodo - it’s good for Katha to have support 🤗

Agree with your comment  - thank you all for suggesting 🥰

Shalzie thumbnail

I like Ehsan. Don't dislike him🤣

I can't understand the main leads in this show. Some of us enjoy Mama & Papa G's scenes more🤣

Khushidum thumbnail

Okay - I’ll be nice about Ehsan 😍🤭

I’m enjoying the complexity the leads - will be good to see how they entangle the story.

Yes I do like mama and papa bear😊 looking forward to watching today’s episode.

I thought I saw a promo of Katha’s circumstances coming out in front of the ML and Ehsan.   Have you seen it?

Shalzie thumbnail
Originally posted by: Khushidum

Okay - I’ll be nice about Ehsan 😍🤭

I’m enjoying the complexity the leads - will be good to see how they entangle the story.

Yes I do like mama and papa bear😊 looking forward to watching today’s episode.

I thought I saw a promo of Katha’s circumstances coming out in front of the ML and Ehsan.   Have you seen it?

No, haven't seen it.

Coming back to Ehsan, he loves Viaan as a brother. It won't occur to him that Viaan may have any sort of feelings for Katha. 

This show has great characters, and Ehsan is one of them. Unfortunately I feel like they have rushed the track where he admits liking Katha. This conflict should have been introduced afterwards.

mango.falooda thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

shalzie, I was wondering whether to respond in DT or to put it in this thread. decided to post here because my answer to your post only makes sense within the lens of this thread -- how do we resolve family conflicts and what leads to adult child-parent issues. that is the lens with which I view papaG and why I find his arc so interesting. 

in regards to your question about why I like papaG, I just find the characterization as well as the acting really well done and I am enjoying the nuanced sensitivies the writers are showing towards conflicts and how families go about resolving them. we are not having typical ITV shortcuts. 

I know that people are thinking that papaG is being whitewashed. am on the opposite side. so let me explain why: 

1. katha has not accepted papaG. very simply, she calls him "mr. garewal", not papa or however FIL is referred to. whereas mamaG is referred to as mama. so there is a distinct difference with how she treats him. there is a formality. she is civil but she hasn't given the place of father-in-law to him yet. if they had whitewashed him, she would be doing pujas at his house by now or giving him a cup of tea like every other FL on ITV. 😆

2. papaG is aware of how katha feels. he apologizes to katha about not calling. why is that significant? because he would have never done the same to reet which is why she was shocked. instead, he bosses over reet and she has no choice to be quiet. with reet, there is the haq of telling her what to do. he cannot do with katha. that itself tells you relationship has not been fully restored. 

katha expresses how she feels freely because she is still an outsider. papaG has to give explanation of why he didn't call because he is still an extended relative and not an immediate circle relative. 

there is a difference in how he said sorry -- it was far more formal and full of explanation about himself. that is actually difficult to do especially for the older generation. they don't necessarily want to explain how they suck at something. 

with reet, he would have given her a sorry but would not have explained why it didn't strike him to call. here, he was clearly worried that katha would turn on him and so he had to make himself vulnerable a bit in his explanation. why would he worry unless he is still on the relationship restoration journey? so no, not yet whitewashed. 

3. his explanation on why he didn't call shows us a lot about his parenting style -- super old fashioned. he left all the parenting to mamaG and now to reet that it doesn't strike him that you need to call. as he says, he just says hello hello to the kids for a few minutes but all major parenting decisions are taken by the women in the house. this also explains why mamaG and papaG responded very differently to katha. 

4. lot of people may have been confused by katha's reaction to papaG but for me, it was rather clear. it wasn't that she was excusing papaG but she was accepting his explanation. 

she made it clear that it was she who requested papaG to spend time with aarav. so this was not a move initiatived by him randomly but rather done by him at her request. so while he didn't call, she understands it was a mistake because this is something new for him. for her, him accepting her request and following through is a bigger deal. 

she wants aarav to have male presence in his life and it matters to her that papaG is there as representation of aditya. in previous years, papaG was not willing to even listen to her but he came down and now even followed through on what she asked for. 

so if she pounced on him, how would that serve her interests? katha is first and foremost a mother who will go to any extent for her son -- that included one night stand with viaan. what is a little grace towards papaG? like you said shalzie, you can opt for love or anger. it is a choice we make in all sorts of situations. 

5. papaG is indeed remorseful and he shows it in how embarassed he is. I know that many would prefer an explicit sorry but I will say from real life experience that it doesn't happen with every family member. in some instances, you can feel their shame and apology in their body language and the way they act with you. if you are graceful, you accept and accomodate them. otherwise, you don't. 

now, is there a right way or wrong way about it? not everyone will react the same way. as letha said, many families will choose to move on; otherwise, you can't have any relationships if we are keeping score. on the other hand, some families don't and so the conflict leads to permanent separation. now if you choose to move on, there are still limitations of how far you go. it is not like ITV where everyone decides to wipe the slate clean. 

so katha is aware in some sense that papaG is sorry but there is a formality to their interactions. she keeps a distance; she does not hug him or greet him happily. instead, it is awkward -- that is super realistic and how actual families react after everyone's anger has cooled down. people awkwardly dance around each other and try to figure how to move forward. 

sometimes the awkward dance is the only place people feel comfortable at because you cannot go back to the place what was once lost. too much was said in the heat of the moment. so you don't want to cut off relationship but neither are you comfortable with a full embrace. so that is exactly where katha is and that is normal. so papaG has not been whitewashed ITV style yet. 

6. papaG's anger and resentment was so great that he couldn't even look at aditya's photo. so he had a dream that they would have a joint family with his sons and their wives. aditya leaving the house was the death of the dream. however, he realized now that at some point aditya would have come back. time wasn't on their side. 

now he cannot undo the past but what he is telling mamaG isn't a plan per se but rather a dream. while he is telling her in private, I have heard many elderly parents openly express that in front of others -- they wish that their children and grandchildren would live with them under the same roof. at times, it is a pipe dream and they know it. still they express it anyway. 

similarly, papaG is allowing himself to dream again and be positive but mamaG is telling him the road will not be easy -- they have to show them with love that this is their house. 

what does that mean? that reconciliation will take time and cannot be covered in a day. they will need to show a lot of love so that katha and aarav will feel welcome. now will that happen? maybe, maybe not. 

but as of now, the old man is starting to feel happy and allowing himself to go back to the dream that once broke him and made him so bitter. a dream of a house with his sons, their wives and their children. at the very least, a dream where he can have relationships with all members of his family. 

7. we have consistendly had parallels between viaan and papaG and I find that interesting that we have similar arcs for the two men in the same episode. 

the same question is being asked about both men by those around them. with papaG, we hear him express it quite clearly. a burden on his heart has been lifted. similarly, viaan is also feeling lighter. it wasn't just that he got to help katha find aarav, it was more than that. he had been feeling incredibly guilty and by helping katha and her accepting his presence, he felt lighter after a long time. 

just as viaan is changing, so is papaG. however, both will have to pay a heavy price because they made mistakes along the way that is hard to be undone. so it is not going to be a quick process but rather inch by inch. 

Edited by mango.falooda - 1 years ago
Shalzie thumbnail

You write so beautifully M. I loved the way you gave us PapaG's POV. I personally find it hard to hold on to grudges. I move on very quickly.  I understand Katha's stance but I would welcome a conversation between these two...for I am the type who also needs to clear the air🤣but I expect it will happen. All of us kept waiting for Katha to react when she received the second ONS offer but we had to wait till the confrontation once Viaan found out about Aarav.

I personally really like the actor playing the role of PapaG. It's never easy to balance strength and vulnerability but he has been doing it a lot recently. Such a proud man is finally giving in to his emotions, and grieving for the son whom he cast away and was then taken so abruptly away by fate. The years may go by. We may see people go on with their lives but some people are actually stuck in moments where their lives unravelled. PapaG is one of those. He was cruel towards Katha but he justified his actions through the thought process that pain justified pain. The man simply needed one hug from his grandson to start his healing process. PapaG's track is one of my favourites in this show.

Lethamukund thumbnail
Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Anniversary 2 Thumbnail
Agree to you. Katha has not forgiven papa G. she is accepting him as a representative of Adi in her son's life. And he is still an outsider to her. he has a long way to get into her inner circle, same as that of Viaan. he is also far away from her inner circle. it's just she is aware of his presence at this stage My views on Papa G-Aditya- Katha equation is long pending I know. will try to write in a day or two
Anj_01 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Liked your analysis about papaG.

And I agree with most of the points but the thing is that man's attitude for me is something which keeps disturbing. I know he has started changing and it will take time for him to understand other's pov but the sense of entitlement he has is what puts me off.

If we think its difficult for viaan to change his life's perspective about women. Only after katha's incident he could manage to do that but since then he is being polite, respectful towards her, not assuming things on his own and always keeps in his mind to give her ample space. He is not barging into her life.

Now papaG is grandpa, too old to radically change now. Its very difficult for someone so old to change his ways. And I am not expecting him to take u turn from his thought process but the way he is going through this change process is something not touching my heart. Totally opposite to viaan here, papaG has assumed that katha has forgiven him, he can bring aarav anytime to his house, can now order them to come and live in garewal house and they wont even oppose. This is what irritates me the most about papaG. Other than this, I dont have any problem with him. I like his and mamaG's relationship dynamics a lot and the way he deals with yuvraj and keep praising reet yet subtly warning her to dont poke nose in all matters.

Edited by Bechain_Bulbul - 1 years ago