PS1 mints 400 crore in just 10 days - All time BLOCKBUSTER

Lord_Voldemort thumbnail
Visit Streak 1000 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 1 years ago

A period film made on a controlled budget of 125 crores. Expected to make 500-600 crore at least in its lifetime. What an ROI!! And this is only theatrical, not even talking about satellite, digital, music, PS merchandise etc., which will add another ~200-250 crores to the tally.

https://boxofficeworldwide.com/box-office/exclusive-mani-ratnams-ponniyin-selvan-1-crosses-175-cr-in-tamil-nadu-270-cr-gross-in-india-and-400-cr-gross-worldwide-blockbuster/

https://twitter.com/taran_adarsh/status/1579034986992525312

https://twitter.com/taran_adarsh/status/1579034994517102593

Edited by Lord_Voldemort - 1 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Lord_Voldemort thumbnail

Hats off to Mani Ratnam. Imagine at his age, after having spent 40 years as a director, to take up such a huge project (his dream project), and to have the confidence to shoot both parts simultaneously, even before the fate of the first part is known. 

I don't know of any other director in Bollywood who has remained relevant and delivers even after so many years.

And then to deliver such a humongous blockbuster...giving high returns to his producers. Wow... hats off man. The likes of Karan Johar must be burning looking at the returns, considering KJo is in losses even after investing everything and making Brahmastra.

capricornrcks thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

I'm glad that the movie has proved that you don't always need to do it the Sanjay Leela Bhansali way or Rajamouli way to make a successful historical movie. Realistic and low key works equally good. The love-story need not be the centre piece either. The heroine does not always need to be a warrior to prove that she's strong and smart. Women can have equal screenspace and discuss strategy and politics. Our historical heroes can have flaws and you don't need to eulogize them. PS-1 does eulogize one particular character. The others are thankfully complex,flawed and real.

Maybe the success would inspire more multi-starrers and more book-to-movie adaptations. We are thankfully not short on empires or stories in India. Just look at the sheer number of stories in Amar Chitra Katha comics alone.

Edited by capricornrcks - 1 years ago
PD_forums thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Copy pasting my comment from another thread :

Now this is called the blockbuster movie without adding satellite rights, music rights and OTT rights 😆

Wow... What a control on budget 👏

Mani ratnam proved we donot need VFX to make a periodic movie. Keep everything natural and tell the story in great level, people will sure appreciate it.

Seriously industry should learn from PS 1 and KGF movies how to control budget but still make great movies with good screenplay and dialogues. 

Lord_Voldemort thumbnail

Originally posted by: capricornrcks

I'm glad that the movie has proved that you don't always need to do it the Sanjay Leela Bhansali way or Rajamouli way to make a successful historical movie. Realistic and low key works equally good. The love-story need not be the centre piece either. The heroine does not always need to be a warrior to prove that she's strong and smart. Women can have equal screenspace and discuss strategy and politics. Our historical heroes can have flaws and you don't need to eulogize them. PS-1 does eulogize one particular character. The others are thankfully complex,flawed and real.

Maybe the success would inspire more multi-starrers and more book-to-movie adaptations. We are thankfully not short on empires or stories in India. Just look at the sheer number of stories in Amar Chitra Katha comics alone.

Yesss, another thing I missed adding. PS-1 defied many conventional formulaic tropes that plagues big, commercial films. The fact that Mani didn't give in to any of that and chose to stay faithful to the source material.

For example, he could have created a Bahubali-esque character and eulogized him and made it all about that. But he just chose to tell a story, where no character is bigger than the story itself. He's truly a master storyteller. Proud that he belongs to Indian cinema.

Mugda thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: capricornrcks

Sanjay Leela Bhansali completely relies on art direction, curtains and havelis for his film's success. Its not about story and screenplay. Its all about art direction for his film. He is not a very good film maker. His film making depends on how lavish the sets are.

Mani Ratnam is a story teller under controlled budget. He relies on nature for his art direction.

Agni_Jytsona thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 9

Thriller Tribe

Seriously. What is this never-ending obsession with Brahmastra? It might not be the biggest blockbuster of the year. But still, it did well for itself. 75 cr on first day is no joke

According to this forum, Brahmastra was supposed to open at 13.5 cr. It opened at 75 cr

The movie was supposed to crash by Friday evening. It didnt

Then it was supposed to crash on Saturday. It didnt

Then Sunday. It didnt

The movie was supposed to finish by Monday. It didnt

Brahmastra had a good second and third weekend

I have watched it thrice. Twice in houseful theatres. Even the third time around the occupancy is 50-60% occupancy. For third Sunday 

That is pretty good. I have never seen this much hype for a movie in my city.

Brahmastra might not be the most excellent movie ever made. But it still excels in lot of departments and provides a wholesome movie-going experience 

There is a world outside this forum. General cinema going audience who liked this film

Now it is time for this forum to accept the simple fact gracefully and move on 

Agni_Jytsona thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 9

Thriller Tribe

Also, Brahmatra part 1 laid the foundaiom

I am sure part 2 and 3 would perform way better and would emerge profitable for everyone involved

Now please move on 

MaxMayfield thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Brahmastra is a joke..anyway I totally agree Mani Ratnam has a career spanning 40 years..even Subhash Ghai failed after a point..even though he was known as a showman and his movies used to be highly awaited..but even his way of filmmaking became stale eventually. The fact that Mani Ratnam literally gave the biggest blockbuster of his career now is a HUGE HUGE achievement..I did thing he had lost his touch..but I’m glad he proved me wrong..some of his movies will always be close to my heart..Yuva, Guru, Dil se, Iruvar and Roja ❤️❤️❤️ And hopefully I get to see PS1 soon 

hyancchoatishoo thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Naaaaaaaatu naatu naatu naatu🥳