it is ‘appalling’ that modern women are doing Karwa Chauth

Posted: 1 years ago

PinkVilla published a video interview of veteran actress Ratna Pathak Shah. During the interview, while talking about society and how difficult it is for women in India, she made a bizarre statement and targeted the Hindu festival Karwa Chauth. Shah pointed out that India is moving towards becoming a conservative society and might become like Saudi Arabia. The reason she gave was someone had asked her last year if she observed Karwa Chauth fast or not. To the question, Shah had replied, “Am I mad?” Ratna Pathak Shah is wife of actor Naseeruddin Shah.

She said, “Nothing has changed for women, or very little has changed in very crucial areas. Our society is becoming extremely conservative. We’re becoming superstitious, we’re being forced into accepting and making religion a very important part of one’s life. Someone asked me for the first time last year if I’m keeping ‘karwa Chauth ka vrat (observing karwa Chauth)’. I said, ‘Am I mad?'”

She further added, “Isn’t it appalling that modern educated women do karwa Chauth, praying for the lives of husbands so that they can have some validity in life? A widow in the Indian context is a horrible situation, isn’t it? So anything that keeps me away from widowhood. Really? In the 21st century, we are talking like this? Educated women are doing this.”

Shah said that when a country becomes more conservative, it clamps down its women first. She said, “Look at all the conservative societies in this world. Women are the ones who are most affected. What’s the scope of women in Saudi Arabia? Do we want to become like Saudi Arabia? And we will become because it’s very, very convenient. Women provide a lot of unpaid labour within the home. If you have to pay for that labour, who will do it? Women are forced into that situation.

Ye kon hai

Anything that keeps me from widowhood thodi motivation hota hai wo log dont want their husbands to die they pray for long lives of their husband 

Isme kya galat hai? 

If one does not want to do it. Its absolutely fine. But it does not give them a free pass to make silly comments on the ones who are doing it by choice.

Pseudo intellectuals. 👎🏼

Maya Sarabhai, She’s still in that role😆Sarabhai Vs Sarabhai Monisha Beta All This Is Middleclass Superstition GIF - Sarabhai Vs Sarabhai Monisha Beta All This Is Middleclass Superstition Maya Sarabhai GIFs

Janta: 
Hain Hain Kumar Sarabhai Vs Sarabhai GIF - Hain Hain Kumar Sarabhai Vs Sarabhai GIFs

Ita appealing that  modern women think what other morden women should do or shouldn't do. 

I love her onscreen but she has been turning into Jaya Bachchan part 2 for a while now. 

Meanwhile, Naseer does a better Jaya than Jaya herself. I wanna be a fly in their house and see how they interact with each other, kaafi entertaining hoga.

Acting karo, khatam karo. Opinion apne paas rakho.😵 

Ab iss statement ko leke controversy hogi.

Edited by Daebak - 1 years ago

[HIDDEN CONTENT]
The content of this post has been Hidden by User.
Originally posted by Daebak

I love her onscreen but she has been turning into Jaya Bachchan part 2 for a while now.

Naseer does a better Jaya than Jaya herself.

Acting karo, khatam karo. Opinion apne paas rakho.😵 

Ab iss statement ko leke controversy hogi.

but Jaya Bachchan don’t preach what one should do or shouldn’t.😆

My parents fast for a single day (about 12 hrs ) for eachother out of love and pray for eachother’s good health n happiness. What wrong with that. No one forces anybody. It’s one’s choice . 

Many other modern women do many other things our out religious dictats .. like getting mutilated for life please do motivate them also to move on . 

Originally posted by hasini009

but Jaya Bachchan don’t preach what one should do or shouldn’t.😆

I mean the screeching.

When Sarabhai 2 was being promoted, she came to an interview and started getting angry about how ppl didnt give the show a chance when S1 was being aired and now they are crying that they want a new season.

While that is true but aise kaun bolta hai?😆 I was one of the few who did watch S1.

@Jaya: She did tell media that Ash is not their friend so dont call her by name😆

Edited by Daebak - 1 years ago