atominis thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

In last 5 years it is ia getting frustrating how films, fans and stars are suspected to forever have an agenda or feedback is less about story but more about alleged politics of the film.

I do not remember Akshay Kumar being labeled anti religion when he did OMG. I do not remember Hrithik being accused of promoting love jihad in Jodha Akbar. 

But of late it has become insanely political with stars labeled anti national or communal or accused of having agenda.

So Akki is promoting Islamphobia in Sooryavanshi but accused of promoting love jihad in Atrangi re?!

I do not remember SRK, Aamir and Sunny being bashed or accused of promoting 'anti Pakistan' sentiment when they did MHN, Sarfarosh, Border, Gadar, India, The Hero type films.

I have never seen Manoj Kumar bashed for making patriotic films the way stars like Aamir, Akki, SRK, Salman get bashed if they do patriotic films like Dangal, RDB, Sarfarosh, MHN, CDI, Baby, Holiday, Bharat etc.

Nowadays even old films are dissected and accused of having an agenda. Last year some political blogger picked up Veer Zaara, The Hero claiming these films fetishise women of a specific community.

Few years ago I attended a seminar where a speaker claimed Chennai Express type films were a ploy to assert North Indian supremacy and take away South Indian women. 🤣 

I was tempted to counter the speaker through example of Mersal where a South Indian hero is in love with a North Indian girl but refrained as speaker was hollering in  a charged tone about grand conspiracy of Bollywood to destroy regional, non Hindi cultures.

Why are films like Padmavat, Panipat, Bajirao Mastani etc accused of having an agenda? And editors have left serious issues to write columns bashing films? 

Why can we not tell stories without being bashed by either right or left wing or members of various communities? Is it not misuse of social media to target films? 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Anjalika01 thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Thank you so much for this!

Like most people, I have my own opinions on social/political issues too. But I'm sick to death of these growing numbers of people both in/from the subcontinent and in the west nowadays who want to make every little thing about politics, and how their particular community/ "side" is being insidiously targeted by everyone.

And people who are most offended by any piece of media that contradicts their views/critiques their "favourites" in the slightest (demanding bans, public apologies, etc) are usually the ones that fight tooth and nail to defend even the most blatantly offensive media that goes against "the other side". 

I've seen people like this on all sides of the political spectrum, and I find all of them annoying and hypocritical af (even if I personally agree with them on some things, ironically).

From what I've seen, in India it was initially mainly just some members of the so called left who used to cry over anything that didn't subscribe exactly to their exact view of the world (even if it was non fiction ), but lately some more hard line people who identify as right wing have learned the same technique of  taking offence and self victimising at the drop of a hat, and are on a fast track to becoming just as annoying as the people they are copying.

To put this in perspective, I've had the misfortune of seeing some social media handles claiming DDLJ is anti-Hindu because Simaran's father (who happens to be a Hindu) is shown as being over-strict... never mind that Simran's more liberal mother, plus the hero Raj, plus practically every other character in the movie is Hindu too .

It has really gotten to a point where some people will get offended if any character of their religion is shown doing anything bad, and sadly, in some cases get upset if anyone from another religion is shown doing anything good.

So to round this off, yes many films and TV shows are driven by some or other social/political agenda nowadays (compared to the past where things tended to be more balanced both in HW and BW, but that's a slightly different issue). But the point is, if you don't like it- you don't have to watch it. And "I don't agree with the message" isn't really a valid criticism if you're being payed to review something ffs.

Rant over ðŸ˜†.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

There was always drama/controversies/protests but now in the film reviews people are saying this ?? Where can I read one ?

Social media is the main culprit. Some people already bitched  about OMG or Jodha akbar back then but because there was no social media no one listened.

There is no way a movies like OMG or Jodha Akbar would be made now, directors & actors don't want to face any backlash and play it safe with patriotic movies

loginidran thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Journey95

Social media is the main culprit. Some people already bitched  about OMG or Jodha akbar back then but because there was no social media no one listened.

There is no way a movies like OMG or Jodha Akbar would be made now, directors & actors don't want to face any backlash and play it safe with patriotic movies

😆

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hindi/bollywood/news/akshay-kumar-starts-shooting-for-omg-2-shares-first-look-posters/articleshow/87221027.cms

Yeah I know its coming out and I guarantee it will be nothing like the original and instead just be 100% Hinduism propaganda. No way will Akshay dare to say anything to piss off bhakts..

Kyahikahoon thumbnail
IPL 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 15 Thumbnail + 3

Yeah I know its coming out and I guarantee it will be nothing like the original and instead just be 100% Hinduism propaganda. No way will Akshay dare to say anything to piss off bhakts..

Will be happy for u if u r right..when is the movie releasing..any time frame?

Originally posted by: niyati13

Will be happy for u if u r right..when is the movie releasing..any time frame?

Next year apparently. I'm sure you are happy if its hindu propaganda

loginidran thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

It’s funny how you keep moving the goal post. First you said there was no way they would make OMG-2. Now when it’s already underway, you say it’s not going to have anything that will piss off the so called Bhakts. And if the movie manages to get criticized after the release, I bet you will say it wasn’t ‘nuanced’ enough to piss them off more. ðŸ˜† 

Originally posted by: catchmeifucan

It’s funny how you keep moving the goal post. First you said there was no way they would make OMG-2. Now when it’s already underway, you say it’s not going to have anything that will piss off the so called Bhakts. And if the movie manages to get criticized after the release, I bet you will say it wasn’t ‘nuanced’ enough to piss them off more. ðŸ˜† 

Wrong. I only said something like OMG (and others like Haider) wouldn't be made now and there hasn't been a movie like that in a long time. I already knew OMG 2 was in development for a few weeks but that means nothing and will likely be just propaganda anyway especially considering Akshay's recent output and the political climate. I'll be happy if I'm wrong