Kitchen politics - fiction (Final Chapter updated - Page 36)

Idiotboxer thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

This is an intergenerational story inspired from SAAKK but with a twist. I am still in the process of writing this so not sure if it will turn out to be a ff or ss. I shall change the title accordingly. 

Prologue

It was a beautiful sunny morning. A long queue of aspiring students had formed outside the admission counter at KICAS. Most of them were women of various ages. There were a few men too but none as noticeable as the tall, well built, bespectacled man in his late twenties, standing towards the end of the queue. He ran his eyes around the campus and thought to himself, “How did it escape our notice that a culinary institute on the outskirts of the city attracted students not only from this state but neighbouring states as well. Mighty impressive. Miss Aastha Kashyap. I am sure you have built this on nothing but lies, treachery and deceit. Many years ago, you took away my happiness, broke Dad’s heart, betrayed Bade Papa’s trust. I am going to make you pay for all of it. Now wait and see how I reduce your institute to dust before your very eyes.” 

The line slowly shortened and Shaurya reached the admission counter. A young girl was sitting at there supervising the admission process. He couldn’t see her face as she was looking down, intently going through the forms of the previous applicants. 

“Looks like they have hired college kids to save money on staff.” Shaurya blurted out.

The girl lifted her head hearing his taunt and glared at him. He immediately recognised those eyes. He had met them the other day outside the restaurant. A momentary expression of recognition passed over her face as well. Then she extended her hand and took his form. 

Index - 

Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

Chapter 4

Chapter 5

Chapter 6

Chapter 7

Chapter 8

Chapter 9

Chapter 10

Chapter 11

Chapter 12

Chapter 13

Chapter 14

Chapter 15

Chapter 16

Chapter 17

Chapter 18

Chapter 19

Chapter 20

Chapter 21 - last

Edited by Idiotboxer - 1 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

AnjuRish thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Wow Shaurya coming as student to destroy his ma 

Waiting for the angsty story 

So anokhi has some relationship with astha ? Mentor types 

Waiting to see the backstory 💞

Stay safe 😘

Aimsha thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Will wait eagerly to read more stuff from you 

shahsb_26 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8

This sounds pretty exciting! Looking Forward to reading it 😛

Idiotboxer thumbnail

Originally posted by: AnjuRish

Wow Shaurya coming as student to destroy his ma 

Waiting for the angsty story 

So anokhi has some relationship with astha ? Mentor types 

Waiting to see the backstory 💞

Stay safe 😘

Thanks. This is a story of love, angst, betrayal and a lot more. Hope you will like it.

Idiotboxer thumbnail

Originally posted by: Aimsha

Will wait eagerly to read more stuff from you 

I remember you since Dahleez forum. Happy to know you like my work.😊

Idiotboxer thumbnail

Originally posted by: shahsb_26

This sounds pretty exciting! Looking Forward to reading it 😛

Good to see that I could pique your interest. Stay tuned. 😳

Rudhitafan thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Anniversary 4 Thumbnail

Ohh...this looks quite interesting

I'm hope you update it soon...looking forward to raed the story👍🏼

shahsb_26 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8

Originally posted by: Idiotboxer

Good to see that I could pique your interest. Stay tuned. 😳

Absolutely.... Looking forward to reading it! 

Idiotboxer thumbnail

Chapter 1

About a week ago at Sabharwal Mansion, the entire family had gathered round the dinner table.

“Shaurya, how long are you going to make us wait? Everyone is starving here.” Devi said, impatiently. 

“Just 2 minutes Badi maa. It is almost done.” Shaurya shouted from the kitchen.

“What special item do you think he is going to come up with today?” Tej asked.

“Perhaps something he learnt at the Michelin star winning restaurant in Paris.” Shaan surmised.

“Well, ladies and gentlemen. The wait is over. Star chef Shaurya Sabharwal presents before you a preparation you have never tasted” Shaurya announced. He carried a steaming hot bowl of a deliciously smelling dish. Kanchan followed him carrying the plates and cutlery.

Shaurya served his dish to everyone with great care and said, “Tell me how it is.” His face was beaming with excitement.

“I don’t think there is a need to say anything. Whatever you make is always the best.” Devi said indulgently.

“You make the worst critic Badi maa.” Shaurya said, shaking his head in mock disappointment.

Tej bent over his bowl and took in the aroma. “A preparation with chicken. I can see you have added white wine, mexican pepper, coconut milk and cheese and the special spice mix that you got from Italy. Am I correct?”

“How can you ever be wrong, Bade Papa?” Shaurya said, impressed. “Nothing can escape you. After all, you are the managing director of the largest chain of restaurants in northern India. And hence I have named my dish in your honour, “Tez Tarrar chicken.”

“This looks scrumptuous. I can’t wait to try it.” Shaan said.

“Yes Dad, I am waiting for your feedback.” Shaurya said, looking at him expectantly.

Shaan took a spoonful and tasted it. “Mmm. This is great. You have the same magic in your hands as your mother. Just one small difference. She never needed expensive ingredients to make the tastiest of foods. She could create magic out of the most mundane food items, even the ones that we usually discard.”

Shaurya’s face fell. He quietly went back to the kitchen to remove his apron.

“Shaan, did you really have to bring her up? She is not his mother. She is just a traitor and a thief. For once, praise your son and his efforts.” Devi rebuked Shaan.

Shaan got up from the table and said, “If you haven’t heard correctly, I did appreciate his efforts. It is just that his preparation reminded me of her. And I was not putting him down by comparing him with Aastha because I was comparing him with the best and you all know that.” 

“Shut up Shaan. Don’t you dare say such a thing again and especially not in front of Shaurya.” Tej roared.

“You are right, I can never reveal the truth to Shaurya. If I do, I will lose my only child forever.” Shaan said and went towards the kitchen.

Meanwhile in the kitchen, Kanchan was trying to boost up Shaurya.

“Comeon Shaurya Bhaiya, don’t mind Shaan Tauji’s words. You know how much he loves you.”

“Not more than the woman who broke all ties with him and never looked back.”

“Okay, let’s drop that subject. Everybody is waiting for you at the dining table. Come, let’s go.”

“Kanchan, I wanted to make that perfectly unique dish for Sunday’s feast. You know Bade Papa has given me the responsibility to make the event a success. I am afraid I may not be able to live up to his expectations.”

“You should never accept defeat before fighting the battle.” 

Shaurya turned around hearing his father’s voice. Shaan came to him and put his hand gently across his shoulder. “I am sorry if my words hurt you. But believe me, your recipe was great. I am sure Sunday’s feast is going to be a big hit and Sabharwal kitchen will become famous in Australia as well.” 

Shaurya nodded with a smile.

Sabharwal kitchen was the name of the restaurant chain run by the Sabharwals. It was founded by Shaurya’s grandfather almost 40 years ago with just one outlet in Chandigarh. Later, his sons expanded it with more branches across Punjab, Haryana and Delhi. Tej was the current MD of Sabharwal group. Shaurya had recently joined as a board member. He was still learning the tricks of the trade from his Bade papa. He had the ambition and zeal to take their business to new heights. He knew that the unparalleled taste of their dishes and impeccable service distinguished them from others. The items they served had a special flavour which made diners book their table in advance. There was always a long waiting list in all their branches. Not only the VIPs of the state but many foreign dignitaries have also dined at their restaurant on their visit to India. 

A feast was organised by the chief minister the following Sunday in honour of the Australian foreign minister who had announced a fresh batch of investments into the state. Sabharwal kitchen was the selected venue for the feast. Shaurya did not want to leave any stone unturned to make this occasion a success. He wanted to prepare something special for the honourable guest and he had been working on it for almost a month.

Although Sabharwal kitchen had some of the best chefs, the specialities on the menu were all brainchild of the Sabharwals. Some of these were the inventions of Shaurya’s grandfather. His Bade Papa, Tej Sabharwal was also credited with some special dishes. Their preparation techniques were a fiercely guarded secret and all  the workers had to sign a bond in this regard. As a member of the youngest generation of the Sabharwals, Shaurya had taken it upon himself to come up with some special items that would be made exclusively available in the Sabharwal kitchen. 

“Shaurya Bhaiya, what happened? You seem to be lost somewhere?” Kanchan asked, seeing him absent minded.

“Nothing. I was just going over Sunday’s menu in my mind.” Shaurya said.

“So, are you going to teach me your special recipe or not?”

“I am sorry Kanchan but Bade Papa has strict instructions against the bahus knowing our secret recipes.”

“I am not going to tell anyone. I will only prepare it for my parents when I visit them next month. That is all. I promise.” Kanchan said.

“Why don’t you understand Kanchan? Women of the house are kept away from the business. And these recipes are a part of our business. Those are our trade secrets. We don’t even appoint women chefs for our restaurant.” Shaurya said, trying his best to discourage her

“But why is that?” Kanchan was adamant.

“Because women are just not good enough.” Devi said, coming and joining them.

“You must be joking, Badi Tayiji. Women have been in charge of cooking in every household and you are saying…” Kanchan objected.

“That is because men have been busy with earning for the family. Otherwise they would surpass women in every task.” Devi emphasised.

“I really regret starting this discussion. The people in this family are too rigid. Let me go and check if Yash has returned.” Kanchan muttered and left.

Devi went near Shaurya and gently caressed his head. “You and I both know there is one more reason why women are not allowed in the Sabharwal kitchen. Many years ago, our business suffered a huge loss due to a woman. She betrayed us. You know who it is, right?”

Shaurya nodded, bowing his head.

P.S. - I know nothing much about cooking. So the recipes mentioned here entirely a product of my imagination and might actually taste like sh*t in reality.😆