Enigma24 thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: Chameli_billi

Yep, Don’t know of any data supporting CBT for mania in BPD

yeah I haven't come across any either.

Enigma24 thumbnail

Originally posted by: rainbow2017

Don't have a lot of knowledge about mental health professionals, but my niece happens to be a clinical psychologist and she does work with psychiatrists on many cases. (But I don't know what sort of cases she works on.) The diagnosis and medication is done by the psychiatrists and the therapy is generally handled by the psychologist, who will give their reports of the therapy sessions to the psychiatrists.

Coming to the main topic, while there is a real need for mental health issues to be brought to the forefront, this lady shouldn't have spoken out about a deceased man's illness in public. This is clearly a violation of the patient's privacy and can be legally challenged. I am sure, the police has already spoken to her by now and if anyone had to clear the air, it is the police's job to do it, not the therapist's.

bold : thanks for helping me out bby saying this. 

We normally refer patients to psychologists for certain psychological tests though even we are trained in all of that. Psychiatrist is trained in both psychology and psychiatry to enable us take decision  for patients better. 

Psychiatrists are trained to do therapies too. It's just that most people automatically assume only psychologists do therapies and that's where the whole confusion starts

Shaitan-Haiwan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Gauahargeous_N

She never said she’s a doctor. 

What kind of defence is that 🤣did you even read what you typed 

Bekind thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Enigma24

i have decided to stop responding to them. I see patients. Not my cousin or aunt. So i know better. And i know how debilitating schizophrenia and bipolar disorder are. Both are serious and chronic conditions

Yes both are very serious illness. I hope people don’t use or accuse others so randomly and so casually without having the confirmation that the person really have that illness.

BollyPC thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 8

Originally posted by: Shaitan-Haiwan

What kind of defence is that 🤣did you even read what you typed 

Wasn’t a defence, it’s a fact. She never said she was a MD. People don’t understand the deference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist and how they work together. 

linux.. thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Chameli_billi

Yep, Don’t know of any data supporting CBT for mania in BPD

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/pcn.12399

There is a lot of data out there. Assuming you aren't a troll, CBT is actually beneficial for bipolar patients. A cursory google search on papers published in this field will give you enough data and dispel such beliefs. Also counseling is required for the patient to adjust to the new diagnosis since it is a lifetime disease. 

YourCat thumbnail

Can the doctors be jailed if the condition of the patient have become worst after taking their medications? 

starrynight98 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

This is not to take sides but since a lot of information is floating around about various mental health professionals, I wanted to put some facts out there.

A Clinical Psychologist in India has a M.Phil in clinical psychologist and a license from Rehabilitation Council of India( RCI license). A person with a M.A degree cannot claim to be a clinical psychologist. And yes, a clinical psychologist is trained in diagnosing a client but cannot prescribe medications.

A Psychiatrist has a MD in psychiatry and are the only mental health professionals who can prescribe medications.

In the case of bipolar disorder, medications prescribed by a psychiatrist plays an indispensable role. But psychological interventions can help a client manage various interpersonal and other practical difficulties that are caused because of the disorder. As for unipolar depression, a combination of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy ( CBT) and medicines has proved to be very helpful. In many cases, a combination of therapy and medication helps to lessen/ alleviate the symptoms of a client and promote their overall mental health in the various domains of their life.

rainbow2017 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Anyway, the crux of the matter is that a mental health professional cannot and should not speak about their patient's health in public. She could have generally spoken about mental health and the misconceptions surrounding it, but she should not have specified what sort of issue Sushant was facing. Psychologists are legally and morally obligated to protect their clients' records. Only when they are presented with a subpoena or asked to testify in a court of law, can they speak about it.

Can imagine how insecure Susan's other patients must be feeling now. If I was undergoing counselling and my therapist goes on record talking about cases he has handled, taking out names and details of the disorders, I would be terrified.

Edited by rainbow2017 - 3 years ago
Supari_khala thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 11 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: linux..

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/pcn.12399

There is a lot of data out there. Assuming you aren't a troll, CBT is actually beneficial for bipolar patients. A cursory google search on papers published in this field will give you enough data and dispel such beliefs. Also counseling is required for the patient to adjust to the new diagnosis since it is a lifetime disease. 

Not sure what you’re getting at here. I am pretty sure Enigma and I meant CBT alone is not enough for bipolar as it can be for managing unipolar depression. If you read as well as you cite, you would know this paper itself says short term efficacy has been shown but not long term nor any effect on relapse rates. On the other hand, CBT alone has proven to be effective for unipolar depression in many cases.