Swarg part an interpolation?

Horizon566 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

I want to ask that why Swarg part is considered an interpolation?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

CaptainSpark thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

I think:

1.  Yudhishthir being only blamed for Drona vadh. He was human, and he made many mistakes in his life among which the most heinous one IMO was staking Draupadi and his brothers. This was wrong and hence I don't see how he can only see hell "once" that too for killing Drona with treachery. 

2. Draupadi's fault was loving Arjun more? This makes no sense because I don't understand even through Dwapara standards how this is a flaw. 

3. I consider all characters human and I think alot of fhe divine intervention has come about later through interpolations. This one is a completely divine intervention hence something which is a little hard to believe unless you consider everyone out there as GODLY. 

ImaginativeGirl thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

If we take out all divinity from the Mahabharata and consider them as humans, then definitely Swarg should be taken as an interpolation.

However, if we are taking the Godliness and other divine aspects as true, then of course Swarg part is also true.

It's a matter of how we look at it.

😊

Horizon566 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Even I think that yudhishthir going to heaven is too much.I mean at the time of dyut sabha he was neither a good husband nor brother nor a king as he had staked his whole Kingdom and treasure which was meant to be used for praja.And his claim of Draupadi loving arjun more is just illogical as she was considered chaste and is one of the panch kanyas.

FlauntPessimism thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: CaptainSpark

I think:

1.  Yudhishthir being only blamed for Drona vadh. He was human, and he made many mistakes in his life among which the most heinous one IMO was staking Draupadi and his brothers. This was wrong and hence I don't see how he can only see hell "once" that too for killing Drona with treachery. 

2. Draupadi's fault was loving Arjun more? This makes no sense because I don't understand even through Dwapara standards how this is a flaw. 

3. I consider all characters human and I think alot of fhe divine intervention has come about later through interpolations. This one is a completely divine intervention hence something which is a little hard to believe unless you consider everyone out there as GODLY. 

I think Draupadi loved Arjun more than others, Bheem loved Draupadi more than Hidimba and Vallaha(I guess that's the name) how come earlier was the flaw and not the latter

I however guess the things excluding the interpretations could be true. 

There was a practice of aged people to continue walking in a direction (irrespective of what's there in the way including river or sea) without food and water to give away their lives. This was considered extreme salvation. Such practice was common in Jain Munis till pretty recent times until modern government declared this practice a way of suicide and made it illegal

These people could have been undergoing the same practice. 

I will have to check but it's called Pratapran if I am not mistaken

Originally posted by: Horizon566

Even I think that yudhishthir going to heaven is too much.I mean at the time of dyut sabha he was neither a good husband nor brother nor a king as he had staked his whole Kingdom and treasure which was meant to be used for praja.And his claim of Draupadi loving arjun more is just illogical as she was considered chaste and is one of the panch kanyas.

Not disagreeing to your points but being chaste and loving one of your lawfully wedded husband not are the same

Edited by FlauntPessimism - 4 years ago
surabhi01 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

Yudhistar going to swarg is not interpolation 

Here is link of geeta press Mahabharata   written in both language  Sanskrit as well in Hindi   and it tell about  yudhistar  not going to heaven without dog  and divine chariot  come to take yudhistar to  heaven is written both in Sanskrit language as well Hindi language

https://www.scribd.com/document/109792478/Mahabharat-01-Gita-Press-Gorakhpur-6-parts

And geeta press never published interpolated part 

Edited by surabhi01 - 4 years ago
NoraSM thumbnail

What I have understood from these discussions in past few days is that anything which doesn't go with the mindset or narrative is considered interpolation. Yudhishtira fans would like the Swart part whereas people who dislike him (Me) think that there's no way this man can be in Swarg. 

Yudhishtira giving Draupadi's preference for Arjun as the reason for her death, for me is pure case of jealousy. 

Originally posted by: surabhi01

Yudhistar going to swarg is not interpolation 

Here is link of geeta press Mahabharata   written in both language  Sanskrit as well in Hindi   and it tell about  yudhistar  not going to heaven  both in Sanskrit language as well Hindi language

https://www.scribd.com/document/109792478/Mahabharat-01-Gita-Press-Gorakhpur-6-parts

And geeta press never published interpolated part 

Everything which is called interpolation is present in the Sanskrit text. The ones in KMG or the ones in BORI (CE I am not sure but even they haven't added anything from anywhere)

I think you don't understand the meaning of interpolation. 

Interpolation doesn't mean you randomly insert some folklores or mentions into your translation. 

Original Jaya was one third the size of Mahabharata that we get now. Mahabharata in its current form compilation took place in 600 years from 300BC to 300 AD, many verser which wouldn't have been there in original Jaya got into it. No one really knows which among them have been since the beginning. Historians and Archeologists try and mention basis the style of writing, words used etc but even they are not very confident (excluding about a few verses Which clearly are very old verses basis the Sanskrit used in it) Geeta press or any current day translaters wouldn't be in any mind to understand that. They translate everything which is found in the current day Mahabharata epic available

We just try to understand which could be interpolations 

CaptainSpark thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: FlauntPessimism

I think Draupadi loved Arjun more than others, Bheem loved Draupadi more than Hidimba and Vallaha(I guess that's the name) how come earlier was the flaw and not the latter

I however guess the things excluding the interpretations could be true. 

There was a practice of aged people to continue walking in a direction (irrespective of what's there in the way including river or sea) without food and water to give away their lives. This was considered extreme salvation. Such practice was common in Jain Munis till pretty recent times until modern government declared this practice a way of suicide and made it illegal

These people could have been undergoing the same practice. 

I will have to check but it's called Pratapran if I am not mistaken

Yes this is a common practice in Jainism, I am aware as well. 

I don't think loving someone more than others was a fault even by Dwapar standards though. Hence I find it fishy.