Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

HearMeRoar thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Originally posted by: flipfl0p

West may not include Jesus under history. But they have religion as a compulsory subject in school. Christmas plays are most common in every primary school. But India does not teach Ramayana, Mahabharata for school children. At least they should be used as nativity plays.

Religion is NOT taught as a subject in school unless kids are in parochial school. Not compulsory, not elective. It's a big no no in public schools in the U.S. 

Greek and Roman mythology get taught as mythology and literature.

Nativity plays, yes. It is more cultural than religious. Similar stuff happens in India too, IIRC. In Kerala, Onam is celebrated in schools with the usual flower carpets. 

I wish the Epics were taught in India in schools as ancient Greek and Roman litt are in the West. Problem is for a huge majority of Indians, the Epics are part of religion. They cannot be taught as simply literature. They cannot be taught as religion either even if a secular government found a way to do it. It will create trouble. No, not with just minorities. Different regions, different sects, have their own interpretation. It will be like teaching Bible in school as a subject in the West (which doesn't happen as I said before).

I don't know if there is a solution to it except teach them as sort of cultural heritage subject perhaps. Which would then include non Hindu texts as well. Razm Nama, the version of Mahabharata commissioned by the Mughals would be an interesting read.

Edited by MahanalayakKarn - 4 years ago
Manavi_kesari thumbnail
IPL 2023 Participants 3 Thumbnail Anniversary 12 Thumbnail + 4
Happy hanuman jayanti ❤️ www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BybOeHIDSM www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQmUtj4rsLw Jai hanuman , jai sri ram save Bharat forever 🇮🇳❤️

Originally posted by: anjs

i think validation is important when things need to live long..... yeas billions of people believe but they are constantly put down, stating that its dakiyanusi beliefs, that these are pure mythology.....that they are wrong.......

and cause of these western selfish agendas, even our own people have started adopting that same thought process........ these people will easily state who needs to know a mythology like Ramayan and Mahabharat but the same people will go abroad and visit the churches and marvel at their history and rich culture......

Also sometimes these validation is important from geographical pov too......like I remember sometime back there was a plan to destroy the ram setu to make route for ships..... I dont know what the status, right now..........there are least chances of it gets saved to save the ocean life in that area as unfortunately development is always given precedence over nature.........had it been given a validation in the name religion, at least it would save that bridge and the oceanic life around that area...

No matter how important it is for us, if we are asking someone else for something then it means we are depending on them for something which is important to us....Instead we need to strengthen our faith so much that it will not matter to us what they think....I think it holds true for the followers of all the Religions, for Religion is simply a tool to build our faith within- not someone else’s faith but our own! We must work hard to keep on building it and make it so strong that these constructions and validations will not matter anymore! 

SakuraKakashi thumbnail

Sorry if my shipping comment offended you.My maternal family had  links of Islam but all my faternal and extended family is Hindu , I am as Hindu as one could get and I love Mahabarat though I only know the summary of the epic and I appreciate some of the preachings of Islam , Buddhism and Christianity. At the end of the day, religion is there just to guide us and have belief in something because it doesn’t take much for us humans to act like animals.  I am a Hindu and i don’t discriminate against muslims and minorities. Being liberal is being tolerant and accepting towards every religion not just one. 

You can say I give a shit about a religion because it’s your personal opinion but you can’t say Hindutva sucks if u r calling yourself a liberal. 

I do know some people over here try to instigate fights . Their simple concept is, people made fun of Hindus and now Muslims ki baari types mentality. Ponymo please don’t think that every Hindu dislikes Islam. I call my dad a Sanghi but after watching a Pakistan serial he changed a lot and now is a fan of Fawad Khan and Mahira and his hatred for Pakistan has simmered down . Politicians divide us and we just don’t have to fall to their tricks. Neither to BJP's tricks nor to Congress’s tricks.

Edited by 9SakthLaunda4 - 4 years ago
Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

It doesn't matter if Ramayana and Mahabharata are mythology or history, the thing is, they are a very crucial part of our Indian literature, two epics with philosophical, political and romanticism elements, that it is very important every Indian, regardless of their religion, should know, understand and have debates and discussions about.

SakuraKakashi thumbnail

Originally posted by: RegressiveThug

It doesn't matter if Ramayana and Mahabharata are mythology or history, the thing is, they are a very crucial part of our Indian literature, two epics with philosophical, political and romanticism elements, that it is very important every Indian, regardless of their religion, should know, understand and have debates and discussions about.

I don't think so. It's people's choice to know or not to know but it's mandatory to respect other's opinion and religion. You can't force people. I wonder how we Hindus will feel if we were forced to read Quran in Saudi Arabia. 

--Pro.vo.King-- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: 9SakthLaunda4

I don't think so. It's people's choice to know or not to know but it's mandatory to respect other's opinion and religion. You can't force people. I wonder how we Hindus will feel if we were forced to read Quran in Saudi Arabia. 

He was obviously being sarcastic. 

Even as a "sanghi" , it made me chuckle. 😆

SakuraKakashi thumbnail

Originally posted by: --Pro.vo.King--

He was obviously being sarcastic. 

Even as a "sanghi" , it made me chuckle. 😆

I don't understand sarcasm anymore . Good to know. 

--Pro.vo.King-- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: 9SakthLaunda4

I don't understand sarcasm anymore . Good to know. 

Why ? .. Did something happen ? ...

SakuraKakashi thumbnail

Originally posted by: --Pro.vo.King--

Why ? .. Did something happen ? ...

No. I do expect this from rightist people on the internet.