Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Swetha-Sai thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Originally posted by: MahanalayakKarn

Religion is NOT taught as a subject in school unless kids are in parochial school. Not compulsory, not elective. It's a big no no in public schools in the U.S. 

Greek and Roman mythology get taught as mythology and literature.

Nativity plays, yes. It is more cultural than religious. Similar stuff happens in India too, IIRC. In Kerala, Onam is celebrated in schools with the usual flower carpets. 

I wish the Epics were taught in India in schools as ancient Greek and Roman litt are in the West. Problem is for a huge majority of Indians, the Epics are part of religion. They cannot be taught as simply literature. They cannot be taught as religion either even if a secular government found a way to do it. It will create trouble. No, not with just minorities. Different regions, different sects, have their own interpretation. It will be like teaching Bible in school as a subject in the West (which doesn't happen as I said before).

I don't know if there is a solution to it except teach them as sort of cultural heritage subject perhaps. Which would then include non Hindu texts as well. Razm Nama, the version of Mahabharata commissioned by the Mughals would be an interesting read.

Thanks for the info on schools in US! 🙂

MaxMayfield thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

IDK why people expect Sona to know anything..she is as dumb as dumb gets..it was wrong of MK to bully her and call her out like that..

BUT...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ramayana and Mahabharata, being such important Indian epics which even foreign scholars love to study in detail, is a vast treasure of knowledge and wisdom. Beneath the war, lies an infinite pool of teachings and lessons. It is not fair to be derogatory about them or mock them. Dont want to know about it, no problem, just be mindful of the words chosen.

and the problem now is that if one propagates others to know about it (not even from religious standpoint) but even just for how interesting and discussion-inducing it still is..they are labelled as Sanghi and Bhakt and Hindu supremacy folks etc. I love reading Greek mythos as well..do I become anti-Hindu/ anti-Islam for discussing or pushing others to read it? The same way I dont become anti-Islam or pro-Hindu for propagating two epics which have much to ponder over and discuss about.

Did some of us not discover GOT before others and prode friends/ family/ colleagues to follow it in order to discuss about it? I dont understand this whole thing about demeaning our epics, just because we ask others to read/ watch it?????  

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Originally posted by: nigahen

These epics are not baap ka jaagir of Hindus..😵

And Hinduism must be extinguished so that these epics can be read freely.  Very very enlightening posts one gets to read here.

I don't think the poster meant it the way you're interpreting it.

The texts WERE written before religion was a thing. It does belong to the subcontinent regardless of religion.

The part about it being followed as litt only if religion element is taken out is a conundrum. The poster is commenting on it, not calling for it.

The world is not mature enough to compartmentalize religion and literature associated with religion.

pink_kitten thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 8

Originally posted by: anjs

Who is forcing whom to read ? Don't misunderstand anything, firstly people spoke against ponymo only cause she used words like crap and shit about both the epics....she could've put her point across without using these words.....

As for Hindus, most think of it as a mythology as don't give it importance, most want to just look cool hence don't read it while they will read other culture's literature with so much interest....

The things is our culture is really rich and deep and beneficial for a good and healthy life but we are loosing the touch cause of not knowing it's importance......for example making certain sweets on certain festivals....that's important cause it helps the body adapt to the season the festival is celebrated in, but due to lack of knowledge, current generation don't give importance to those homemade sweets and end up buying sweets, which will result in more health problems then good...... This is just an example but same way it's important to know about our culture cause the information it has is really valuable....

Look at current situation of coronavirus, eventually western culture had look out for a new way to greet each other while some realised that our centuries old namaste is the best as it's least touching someone else and giving utmost respect to the one you greet.....

Do you know the patals that is used during weddings and festival lunches ? Such a eco friendly idea from India but more and more modern people are ditching it for styrofoam plates and bowls.... But a company in Germany is making those patals, exporting it to western countries as their novel eco friendly idea...... One day they'll patent it and charge us for using those patals and our future generations won't even know that it originated in India.....

That's awful, how can they act like it's their idea 

--Pro.vo.King-- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Wow .. 12 notifications and everything leads me to error 404. 😆

BeingBlunt thumbnail

Originally posted by: guenhwyvar

Ironically, the KBC question was wrong to begin with.

Sonakshi technically got it right, but there was no right answer. 

The question asked - 

But it doesn't mention which Ramayan. 

Valmiki's Ramayan says the herbs were brought for both Lakshmana and Rama; Tulsi Das' Ramayan mentioned only Lakshman. 

Anyhow, the outrage here is funny. Everyone bashes Sonakshi for pretty much everything, but when someone bashes her for not knowing Indian mythology, it's the "you don't have to know that" bandwagon. 🤣🤣

Hi Shyam. 3 options are right according to TI. :P 😆

https://twitter.com/TIinExile/status/1246677519996088320

nigahen thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: MahanalayakKarn

I don't think the poster meant it the way you're interpreting it.

The texts WERE written before religion was a thing. It does belong to the subcontinent regardless of religion.

The part about it being followed as litt only if religion element is taken out is a conundrum. The poster is commenting on it, not calling for it.

The world is not mature enough to compartmentalize religion and literature associated with religion.

The language used says everything. No need for you to misinterpret for me thanks. A few masks fell off today or was it the classic slip.

Extinguish Hinduism....👏 Wah Raja wah...Extinguish the followers in other words and then appropriate the epics, customs of these heathens

And the characters in Ramayana and Mahabharata were followers if Sanatan Dharma thank you very much. And yes religion did not exist those days. As Sanatan dharma was the only way of life.

Edited by nigahen - 4 years ago
flipfl0p thumbnail

Originally posted by: nigahen

The language used says everything. No need for you to misinterpret for me thanks. A few masks fell off today or was it the classic slip.

Extinguish Hinduism....👏 Wah Raja wah...Extinguish the followers in other words and then appropriate the epics, customs of these heathens

And the characters in Ramayana and Mahabharata were followers if Sanatan Dharma thank you very much. And yes religion did not exist those days. As Sanatan dharma was the only way of life.

Can't help it, if you have comprehension problem. Nor I am bothered about labels. In this thread (before our posts got deleted) Ponymo called me as a Hindu racist bigot. How come in the same thread, I am accused as Islamophobic and Hinduphobic both? 

Even though these epics belong to everybody, they will not be touched because of the narrow mindedness of both groups. One group feels insecure that these epics may come in the way of their faith and refuses to study. Another group thinks, only they have the sole proprietorship on these epics. 

What is Sanatana Dharma? Where in Ramayana and Mahabharata did those characters say, they follow Sanatana Dharma? 

nigahen thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: flipfl0p

Can't help it, if you have comprehension problem. Nor I am bothered about labels. In this thread (before our posts got deleted) Ponymo called me as a Hindu racist bigot. How come in the same thread, I am accused as Islamophobic and Hinduphobic both? 

Even though these epics belong to everybody, they will not be touched because of the narrow mindedness of both groups. One group feels insecure that these epics may come in the way of their faith and refuses to study. Another group thinks, only they have the sole proprietorship on these epics. 

What is Sanatana Dharma? Where in Ramayana and Mahabharata did those characters say, they follow Sanatana Dharma? 

The word extinguish has some different meaning in the dictionary for morons I guess. I am so sorry I am not familiar with that dictionary at all and yes I do have trouble comprehending that class of people. 

And I could care less about the certificate you received from ponymo or whoever. 

The practices, the rituals, the traditions....how else do you classify a group of people. But it's beyond your grasp.....tut tut......

Edited by nigahen - 4 years ago