Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

SakuraKakashi thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Originally posted by: RegressiveThug

everyone should be well versed in mythological and religion of their country, yes having basic knowledge of other religions is also a good thing. BecauseI believe, people should know their culture and customs.

That is my opinion, you can feel to diagree and ridicule my opinion.

I thought u were all for equality .  This sounds exactly like forcing Hindus to read Quran in Saudi arabia. Give equal importance to every religion or none. This holier than thou attitude doesn't digest well with anyone and it's quite demeaning .

Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: 9SakthLaunda4

I thought u were all for equality .  This sounds exactly like forcing Hindus to read Quran in Saudi arabia. Give equal importance to every religion or none. This holier than thou attitude doesn't digest well with anyone and it's quite demeaning .

I am all for equality, and I am not saying, people should only read Ramayana and Mahabharata in India, but that portion was to the question by Provoking, on why these two should be compulsory in India. 

Also I don't see what is wrong, if Hindus are asked to study in Suadi Arabia to read Quran. See if they are asked to only read Quran and not allowed to read Hindu texts, that is wrong. But if Hindus are told to read Quran, I don't see anything wrong, at the end of the day, it is also a collection of stories and philosophy.

See I am not holier than thou, it is just that I have 15 posts restrictions, so I am saying in advance to people, that lets agree to disagree, as eventually that is what going to happen, so I don't wanna waste my post limits😆

SakuraKakashi thumbnail

And when I say holier than thou. It's not about u, it's about treating Hindu religion holier than other religions. You are giving special preference to Hinduism and other religions as second thought. 

Deadinside thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Is it necessary to know everything about mahabharata and ramayana - No. 

Is it necessary to do little tiny bit of homework before entering in KBC even as a guest - Hell yes. 

Do we have dumb actresses in our bollywood? - Kurta phaad ke yes. 

SakuraKakashi thumbnail

I like it where this is going. 

Crazy Animals GIFs | Tenor

Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: 9SakthLaunda4

And when I say holier than thou. It's not about u, it's about treating Hindu religion holier than other religions. You are giving special preference to Hinduism and other religions as second thought. 

I never said that anywhere that Hindusim should be given special preference, it is how you intercepted it. I just said Mahabharata and Ramayana should be know because they are India's own mythology or ancient literature or history or however you take it. I even said, it should be studied by all regardless of religion, as I don't believe Hindu literature should be limited to just Hindus. I don't see how telling people to study an ancient literature work of the country they live in, is oppressive or anything. And I am not even saying that don't study other religious work, I am all in for study of every religious texts, especially major ones.

flipfl0p thumbnail

Originally posted by: MahanalayakKarn

Religion is NOT taught as a subject in school unless kids are in parochial school. Not compulsory, not elective. It's a big no no in public schools in the U.S. 

Greek and Roman mythology get taught as mythology and literature.

Nativity plays, yes. It is more cultural than religious. Similar stuff happens in India too, IIRC. In Kerala, Onam is celebrated in schools with the usual flower carpets. 

I wish the Epics were taught in India in schools as ancient Greek and Roman litt are in the West. Problem is for a huge majority of Indians, the Epics are part of religion. They cannot be taught as simply literature. They cannot be taught as religion either even if a secular government found a way to do it. It will create trouble. No, not with just minorities. Different regions, different sects, have their own interpretation. It will be like teaching Bible in school as a subject in the West (which doesn't happen as I said before).

I don't know if there is a solution to it except teach them as sort of cultural heritage subject perhaps. Which would then include non Hindu texts as well. Razm Nama, the version of Mahabharata commissioned by the Mughals would be an interesting read.

Religion and Philosophy is a compulsory subject in UK for some years, but not in the year when kids are taking public exam. Nativity plays are present too (as culture, not religion). 

There probably was a time in India when Ramayana used to be a nativity play. I suppose North India used to have Ram Lila plays at night. I remember Kabir Khan (director) mentioning about it, where Bhajrag Bali characters were mainly performed by Muslims. 

Even Mahabharata. The serial which is getting aired now (which aired 30 years ago), script writer was a Muslim. I don't think, they viewed it as a religious text. (These stories were written before religions were born). 

But in last few decades, secularism arrived in India and partition happened with these epics too. Now unless other religions come forward and claim their right too (these epics are not baap ka jaagir of Hindus alone), it will remain as exclusive Hindu property.

It is unfortunate that we are in a situation, these books could have been read easily  (Iliad and Odyssey), if nobody worshipped Rama and Krishna as Gods. In other words, these epics could be read if Hinduism is extinguished, not when it is alive. Gift of secularism.

Kyahikahoon thumbnail
IPL 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 15 Thumbnail + 3

People expecting Ramayan Mahabharat to be taught in school in n era when there r people having n issue with national anthem playing in cinema halls😆

When Vandematram and Jai hind r considered religious slogans and not related to nation ðŸ˜ƒ

Rehne do bhai log. Hum jo karenge apne ghar me karenge..jaise kuch deshon me bhagwan ko ghar ke andar hi pooja ja sakta hai..

And pls don't misquote me anyone. I respect all religions and haven't read any book out of Ramayan, Mahabharat, Geeta, Quran or Bible..just watched TV shows based on them and read excerpts from all

Though slowly all religions have started intriguing me..may read Ved puraan too 

nigahen thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: flipfl0p

Religion and Philosophy is a compulsory subject in UK for some years, but not in the year when kids are taking public exam. Nativity plays are present too (as culture, not religion). 

There probably was a time in India when Ramayana used to be a nativity play. I suppose North India used to have Ram Lila plays at night. I remember Kabir Khan (director) mentioning about it, where Bhajrag Bali characters were mainly performed by Muslims. 

Even Mahabharata. The serial which is getting aired now (which aired 30 years ago), script writer was a Muslim. I don't think, they viewed it as a religious text. (These stories were written before religions were born). 

But in last few decades, secularism arrived in India and partition happened with these epics too. Now unless other religions come forward and claim their right too (these epics are not baap ka jaagir of Hindus alone), it will remain as exclusive Hindu property.

It is unfortunate that we are in a situation, these books could have been read easily  (Iliad and Odyssey), if nobody worshipped Rama and Krishna as Gods. In other words, these epics could be read if Hinduism is extinguished, not when it is alive. Gift of secularism.

These epics are not baap ka jaagir of Hindus..😵

And Hinduism must be extinguished so that these epics can be read freely.  Very very enlightening posts one gets to read here.

anjs thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: niyati13

People expecting Ramayan Mahabharat to be taught in school in n era when there r people having n issue with national anthem playing in cinema halls😆

When Vandematram and Jai hind r considered religious slogans and not related to nation ðŸ˜ƒ

Rehne do bhai log. Hum jo karenge apne ghar me karenge..jaise kuch deshon me bhagwan ko ghar ke andar hi pooja ja sakta hai..

And pls don't misquote me anyone. I respect all religions and haven't read any book out of Ramayan, Mahabharat, Geeta, Quran or Bible..just watched TV shows based on them and read excerpts from all

Though slowly all religions have started intriguing me..may read Ved puraan too 

True that........... ideally all religious books should be taught in schools.......its not necessary that hindus shouldn't study Quran and Muslims shouldn't study Gita.......so why not every one study all the religious concepts and understand each other better.........this will also make them respect all religions more......

but unfortunately few doesn't want that........in fact i have seen christian schools have their own agenda.......... every day morning prayer is done by praying to jesus (which is not wrong) but sisters and principals frown at even the mention of hindu festival.......... this happens every year in my niece's and her cousins schools..... every year we have to go to our native place for ganesh chaturthi......but dare you go and take permission from the principal......so what if you are the parents.....the principal will not give you permission to take your own child with you to celebrate a festival you adore........ then they will do tricks to stop kids from going like planning exams around the same time....... and if by chance you dare take your kid without informing them........then be ready for the dressing down worth a year when you come back, cause you are summoned to the principal's office and she will scream at you, in front of all the other parents.....

they just dont want the kids to connect to their own religion and only praise Jesus......... nothing wrong in praising Jesus as I myself respect him a lot.........but every kid should be allowed to study everything and not brain-washed by a few people just cause they have the power and given the right to teach the kids in their growing years.....

Edited by anjs - 4 years ago