Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 4 years ago

Originally posted by: 9SakthLaunda4

I don't think so. It's people's choice to know or not to know but it's mandatory to respect other's opinion and religion. You can't force people. I wonder how we Hindus will feel if we were forced to read Quran in Saudi Arabia. 

I don't mind reading either Bible or Quran, even in India, I don't have to go to Saudi for that.

I think Indian schools should have one subject on religion, where students will learn about all major religions texts in their own languages(translation, just few important parts to be learned in original language) over the course of their education. I think it is important that people should know at least basics about all religions, so you won't have religious leaders and godman fooling people, because of our lack of knowledge about it. I think we so called literate and educated people's disdain towards religious texts and history, is the reason why you have so many politicians and religious leaders fooling people despite literacy rate increasing so much compared to olden times. So I think people should have a clear knowledge about religion and mythology. And IMO, it should be compulsory, just like other subjects. 

And I am 100% comfortable and respectful of any disagreement.

Sunflower234 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: RegressiveThug

I don't mind reading either Bible or Quran, even in India, I don't have to go to Saudi for that.

I think Indian schools should have one subject on religion, where students will learn about all major religions texts in their own languages(translation, just few important parts to be learned in original language) over the course of their education. I think it is important that people should know at least basics about all religions, so you won't have religious leaders and godman fooling people, because of our lack of knowledge about it. I think we so called literate and educated people's disdain towards religious texts and history, is the reason why you have so many politicians and religious leaders fooling people despite literacy rate increasing so much compared to olden times. So I think people should have a clear knowledge about religion and mythology. And IMO, it should be compulsory, just like other subjects. 

I agree. Everyone should know atelast the basics of every major religions. I guess only then people will be respectful towards other religions.

--Pro.vo.King-- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Religious leaders and godmen cannot fool educated people ( or otherwise ) who have strong disdain towards anything religious because they wont give two hoots about what these leaders have to say .. 

They can certainly fool those who already put huge stake in anything religious without thinking it through ... But then these are the people who must have read the books ( without understanding the true meaning of the texts ) out of their own free will  ..

And then there are people who respect Human history and are curious about the religions and its impact on humans .. These people will read the sacred texts out of their own free will .. And can discern religious leaders-godmen from what really matters .. 

So , tell me again ... Why should it be mandatory to read these texts ? ... 

Originally posted by: Sunflower234

I agree. Everyone should know atelast the basics of every major religions. I guess only then people will be respectful towards other religions.

I disagree. In order to be respectful to all religions , you dont need to impose mandatory religious texts on people .. Basic sense of humanity should be enough to teach people to be respectful towards other religions / other human beings.. It is just a matter of knowing right from wrong .. Religion serves the exact same purpose but people who lack moral compass have a way distorting even the most sacred texts to suit their own idea of right/ wrong .. Point being , if you lack moral compass , no amount of religious training is going to help you there .. 

Gul_bahar thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

I really like this idea that everyone should know the basics of all major religions for the reason that you mention, but it is just impossible in a country like India. There are more chances of this Corona virus disappearing from the face of planet Earth right this second than of that happening. 

We had Ramayana as Hindi literature book in our school in 6th grade and there were some people who had just outrightly refused to even join in the classroom reading. The teacher didn't bother them either. 6th graders are just practically kids. Still that kind of disdain for a thin literature book among children. :/  And it's not like it was preachy or something. It was just like a story book. 

Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: --Pro.vo.King--

So , tell me again ... Why should it be mandatory to read these texts ? ... 

everyone should be well versed in mythological and religion of their country, yes having basic knowledge of other religions is also a good thing. BecauseI believe, people should know their culture and customs.

That is my opinion, you can feel to diagree and ridicule my opinion.

SakuraKakashi thumbnail

It's a really good idea as people will probably be more sensitive towards other religions and stop being ignorant but our politicians thrive on pitting people of different religions against each other. If everyone starts respecting others religion  then there will be no scope for our politicians to implement the divide and rule politics. People will start demanding actual development in the country rather than getting lured by Ram mandir . Extremists will fight against this change  and it's going to be a mess but this situation will not arise as politicians want us to be direspectful towards each other. 

There is an other option, we can become a communist country like China and become slaves of the government. ðŸ˜†

anjs thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

I don't think so. It's people's choice to know or not to know but it's mandatory to respect other's opinion and religion. You can't force people. I wonder how we Hindus will feel if we were forced to read Quran in Saudi Arabia. 

Who is forcing whom to read ? Don't misunderstand anything, firstly people spoke against ponymo only cause she used words like crap and shit about both the epics....she could've put her point across without using these words.....

As for Hindus, most think of it as a mythology as don't give it importance, most want to just look cool hence don't read it while they will read other culture's literature with so much interest....

The things is our culture is really rich and deep and beneficial for a good and healthy life but we are loosing the touch cause of not knowing it's importance......for example making certain sweets on certain festivals....that's important cause it helps the body adapt to the season the festival is celebrated in, but due to lack of knowledge, current generation don't give importance to those homemade sweets and end up buying sweets, which will result in more health problems then good...... This is just an example but same way it's important to know about our culture cause the information it has is really valuable....

Look at current situation of coronavirus, eventually western culture had look out for a new way to greet each other while some realised that our centuries old namaste is the best as it's least touching someone else and giving utmost respect to the one you greet.....

Do you know the patals that is used during weddings and festival lunches ? Such a eco friendly idea from India but more and more modern people are ditching it for styrofoam plates and bowls.... But a company in Germany is making those patals, exporting it to western countries as their novel eco friendly idea...... One day they'll patent it and charge us for using those patals and our future generations won't even know that it originated in India.....

everyone should be well versed in mythological and religion of their country, yes having basic knowledge of other religions is also a good thing. BecauseI believe, people should know their culture and customs.

That is my opinion, you can feel to diagree and ridicule my opinion.

I am sorry but that sounds archaic .. I truly believe those who want to understand their own or even different cultures and traditions will easily find a way to do it without having mandatory hardcore religious texts imposed on them .. 

Schools and family in general do play an important role in helping the children grow into responsible adults .. But mandatory religious text reading is not the way to go .. There are better alternatives to achieve that ..

ponymo thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Sorry if my shipping comment offended you.My maternal family had  links of Islam but all my faternal and extended family is Hindu , I am as Hindu as one could get and I love Mahabarat though I only know the summary of the epic and I appreciate some of the preachings of Islam , Buddhism and Christianity. At the end of the day, religion is there just to guide us and have belief in something because it doesn’t take much for us humans to act like animals.  I am a Hindu and i don’t discriminate against muslims and minorities. Being liberal is being tolerant and accepting towards every religion not just one. 

You can say I give a shit about a religion because it’s your personal opinion but you can’t say Hindutva sucks if u r calling yourself a liberal. 

I do know some people over here try to instigate fights . Their simple concept is, people made fun of Hindus and now Muslims ki baari types mentality. Ponymo please don’t think that every Hindu dislikes Islam. I call my dad a Sanghi but after watching a Pakistan serial he changed a lot and now is a fan of Fawad Khan and Mahira and his hatred for Pakistan has simmered down . Politicians divide us and we just don’t have to fall to their tricks. Neither to BJP's tricks nor to Congress’s tricks.

What shipping comment? I guess I missed reading it.

It's great you love Mahabharata and also appreciate some preachings of other religions. Likewise, it's also should be fine if I don't give a crap about Mahabharata and don't care about reading preaching of any religions - that's my point. So Sonakshi cannot be mocked for not knowing something about some epic or religion. Not everyone is that religious or that invested in religious books. To each their own.

I didn't say every Hindu hates Islam. Please don't assume what I never said by reading twisted interpretations of my answers by some mischievous lot here. I myself was born a Hindu and many of my friends are too, and none of them hate Islam - yes, I do have problems with some preachings of Islam, like any other religion. But there is difference between genuine criticism of Islam and anti-Muslim bigotry. It's when you do the latter that makes you Islamophobic. The former is welcome.

Again, I said Hindutva, not Hinduism. I do have a problem with Hindutva in that it tries to establish hegemony of Hindus at the expense of other religions, which is not okay. All religions should be allowed to co-exist and no religion is greater than the other. India is a secular country and isn't one of those countries which are established on the basis of religion. And it would remain like that no matter how hard the Hindutva goons try to impose their ideology.