Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

HearMeRoar thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Originally posted by: anjs

and who do you think portrayed our cultural heritage as mere mythology ? we ourselves ?? I dont think Mughal invaders refuted it.......yes they may have destroyed the temples for their perverse fun, but they didn't promote it as a mythology as far as i know.........if you know otherwise, do share it here........

I am not talking about Jesus from historial point of view........ i am just comparing them from mythology POV...... if you talk about records, we also have records about existence of all people mentioned in Ramayan and Mahabharat........at least the key people....... but our records are also not accepted.......... since they have already declared Ramayan and Mahabharat as mythology.......

Lemme try again.

1. Brits called Indian stories mythology. True enough. But they don't HAVE to accept any story as history without evidence. Most of the west include Jesus under religion, not history. 

2. Written documentation of contemporaneous events started much after the events of Ramayan and Mahabharata. Oral tradition is not accepted evidence anywhere in the world, even India. Even written documentation needs to have cross references. Hence, the epics are not considered history even without magical elements. Nor are the events of the Bible considered history.

3. There is likely to be a core of history within the stories. Greek and Roman tales are being explored, Indian isn't probably because most aren't interested, and even if they were, there is serious lack of cash. 

4. Not just the Brits, the world over... if it ain't in an officially accepted written document, it isn't considered history. The first written versions of Mahabharata and Ramayana happened a couple of centuries into the common era. Ie, thousands of years after the events. It is not enough to be considered history. Events of the Bible are not considered history. Ancient Chinese and Japanese tales are not considered history.  Historians are funny people that way. They have rules on what can be included under history.

anjs thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: MahanalayakKarn

Lemme try again.

1. Brits called Indian stories mythology. True enough. But they don't HAVE to accept any story as history without evidence. Most of the west include Jesus under religion, not history. 

2. Written documentation of contemporaneous events started much after the events of Ramayan and Mahabharata. Oral tradition is not accepted evidence anywhere in the world, even India. Even written documentation needs to have cross references. Hence, the epics are not considered history even without magical elements. Nor are the events of the Bible considered history.

3. There is likely to be a core of history within the stories. Greek and Roman tales are being explored, Indian isn't probably because most aren't interested, and even if they were, there is serious lack of cash. 

4. Not just the Brits, the world over... if it ain't in an officially accepted written document, it isn't considered history. The first written versions of Mahabharata and Ramayana happened a couple of centuries into the common era. Ie, thousands of years after the events. It is not enough to be considered history. Events of the Bible are not considered history. Ancient Chinese and Japanese tales are not considered history.  Historians are funny people that way. They have rules on what can be included under history.

ok........maybe my expectation from the western world was to accept Ramayan and Mahabharat just like Bible and Quran....... but the term mythology is what hurts me the most........esp when its echo'ed by even Indians (Hindus) who follow the tradition but some twisted reason think everything Indian Tradition is mythology.......

now come to the rules of History, my knowledge is less......but how can they completely disregard other forms of record.........what about the natural record maintained by the planet itself..... the most famous being the city of dwarka and ram-setu.......

Ashley.Tisdale thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7

and who do you think portrayed our cultural heritage as mere mythology ? we ourselves ?? I dont think Mughal invaders refuted it.......yes they may have destroyed the temples for their perverse fun, but they didn't promote it as a mythology as far as i know.........if you know otherwise, do share it here........

I am not talking about Jesus from historial point of view........ i am just comparing them from mythology POV...... if you talk about records, we also have records about existence of all people mentioned in Ramayan and Mahabharat........at least the key people....... but our records are also not accepted.......... since they have already declared Ramayan and Mahabharat as mythology.......

@bold: I remember reading online that the story of Ramayana had travelled all the way to the West as well, including Europe and the States..but it was all forgotten after Christianity became popular. While I am not against any religion at all, it is sad to see how our past is forgotten and treated as stories. While spending my time studying abroad, I witnessed first hand how people from different countries are still passionate about their religion, history and didn't treat it like trash. 

But it was a little disturbing that certain nationalities found it catastrophic when they came to know I do not follow the same religion as them  While that is next next of extreme, why can't Indians be proud of their own culture and past? 

The WORST part is that citizens within this country are willing to divide the country based on their own agendas...each version of Ramayan, other than the Valmiki, Tulsidas and the North of India (include Maharashtra here too) have their own false storyline. Tamil Ramayana says that Sita was Ravana and Mandodari's daughter. In fact most of South worship Ravana and have pics of Ravana in or outside their houses. Jain Ramayana says that Rama was enlightened by Mahavir. Bengali Ramayana is also another version. What messed up agendas do these people have?!

Its not just invaders from other countries, but India has been divided by States and different mindsets since the longest time for their own agendas...the above is proof of it.

nigahen thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Pseudo liberals believe the big bang happened in the 7th century.....any discussion of pre 7th century India is anathema..

Why does one need validation from the west or anybody else for that matter? Belief and faith are ones own personal matters and if you believe in Ramayan and Mahabharat then it shouldn’t matter to you if anybody else does or not...If anything, writing off the epics as a mere mythology or someone’s figment of imagination or whatever when almost a billion people believe in them and revere them, shows the character of the people who do it...

Koel100 thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Countering hate slurs with facts and you are labelled as sanghi, kuch bhi.

India goes back and has a vast history which has been conveniently been ignored and snubbed under the name of mythology, who said there aren't well documented evidences to back the claim but sadly they have been destroyed, muslim invaders not just plundered the material wealth but also destroyed the vast knowledge documented by destroying them and than Britishers happened along with few of our own men placing themselves over national Interest and we have been over decades systematically everywhere being thought to disown our own customs and religion having enough scientific backing too if done properly in name of superstitions. The present day historians are nothing but those who are enslaved to Britishers than and later Inc and fed false history glorifying absolutely ruthless and barbaric invaders as hero's and downplaying our own warriors 

HearMeRoar thumbnail

ok........maybe my expectation from the western world was to accept Ramayan and Mahabharat just like Bible and Quran....... but the term mythology is what hurts me the most........esp when its echo'ed by even Indians (Hindus) who follow the tradition but some twisted reason think everything Indian Tradition is mythology.......

now come to the rules of History, my knowledge is less......but how can they completely disregard other forms of record.........what about the natural record maintained by the planet itself..... the most famous being the city of dwarka and ram-setu.......

Don't misunderstand me, please. Mahabharata is called Ithihaasa kavya, and I firmly believe it was history. One of my fondest dreams is that someone will discover some written document like they did with Dead Sea Scrolls. I'm not terribly interested in Ramayana, but Mahabharata, yeah.

I'm all right with historians needing rules. Otherwise, it will be chaos. I just want there to some concerted effort in archeological research in India.

Edited by MahanalayakKarn - 4 years ago
anjs thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: cricketfan1

Why does one need validation from the west or anybody else for that matter? Belief and faith are ones own personal matters and if you believe in Ramayan and Mahabharat then it shouldn’t matter to you if anybody else does or not...If anything, writing off the epics as a mere mythology or someone’s figment of imagination or whatever when almost a billion people believe in them and revere them, shows the character of the people who do it...

i think validation is important when things need to live long..... yeas billions of people believe but they are constantly put down, stating that its dakiyanusi beliefs, that these are pure mythology.....that they are wrong.......

and cause of these western selfish agendas, even our own people have started adopting that same thought process........ these people will easily state who needs to know a mythology like Ramayan and Mahabharat but the same people will go abroad and visit the churches and marvel at their history and rich culture......

Also sometimes these validation is important from geographical pov too......like I remember sometime back there was a plan to destroy the ram setu to make route for ships..... I dont know what the status, right now..........there are least chances of it gets saved to save the ocean life in that area as unfortunately development is always given precedence over nature.........had it been given a validation in the name religion, at least it would save that bridge and the oceanic life around that area...

flipfl0p thumbnail

Originally posted by: MahanalayakKarn

It does not matter to me whether mythology is considered history or not, but they should be read as native epics, irrespective of faith. (Iliad or Odessey is not read by the followers of  Greek religion only). 

West may not include Jesus under history. But they have religion as a compulsory subject in school. Christmas plays are most common in every primary school. But India does not teach Ramayana, Mahabharata for school children. At least they should be used as nativity plays.

Story of Mahabharata: Story mainly takes place in UP, but involves many other regions of Indian sub continent. A princess of Kandahar (Gandhari) marries a blind prince from Meerut (Hastinapur) from Kuru dynasty. Her children being Kouravas. On the other side, a princess from Mathura (Kunti) and another princess from Sialkot (Madri)  married his brother Pandu. Their children being Pandavas. 

Duryodhana, eldest of Kaurava gifted Anga Desha (Bangla) to his friend Karna, who was born to Kunti before her marriage. Pandavas created a new capital for themselves in Delhi. Kourava's sister got married to the ruler of Sindh (Jayadratha). 

When fight happened between Pandavas and Kouravas for the throne, every region of Indian subcontinent participated in the war either allying with Pandavas or Kauravas, till everyone got destroyed. 

In Ramayana a prince from UP (Rama) goes to exile. He settles in a forest (Nasik, Maharashtra). His wife gets abducted by Ravana, king of Lanka. Rama takes the help of Vanara Kingdom (Karnataka/Andhra border) to fight Ravana. Indian Ocean blocks his route. He prays to lord Shiva on the shore  (Rameshwar, Tamilnad). He builds bridge for Lanka, fights and kills Ravan to get his wife back. 

We can read any other holy book. But none of them will have the nativity as Ramayana and Mahabharata. They are the only things that link people irrespective of regional, religional and linguistic fights. 

Edited by flipfl0p - 4 years ago
kantalaga_ thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Brazil uses #Ramayana reference while seeking help from India for supplies of #Hydroxychloroquine.Extract of letter from Brazilian President Bolsanaro to PM.Compares India's efforts to #Hanuman and Sanjeevani booti. 

Now use burnol 🤪🥺