"Raazi Did Not Do Justice to Book" Says Author Harinder Sikka

Posted: 4 years ago

Alia Bhatt Starrer Raazi Did Not Do Justice to Book, Says Calling Sehmat Author Harinder Sikka

The author of Calling Sehmat, Harinder Sikka, which inspired Meghna Gulzar's Raazi starring Alia Bhatt and Vicky Kaushal, said that he was not satisfied with the film.

IANS

Updated:December 16, 2019, 5:23 PM IST

facebookTwitter Pocket

Alia Bhatt Starrer Raazi Did Not Do Justice to Book, Says Calling Sehmat Author Harinder SikkaThe author of Calling Sehmat, Harinder Sikka, which inspired Meghna Gulzar's Raazi starring Alia Bhatt and Vicky Kaushal, said that he was not satisfied with the film.

Why Are Girls Of This Nationality So Beautiful?

zestradar

Photographer Reveals Shocking Pictures Of The Caribbean

zestradar

The Alia Bhatt-Vicky Kaushal starrer Raazi did not do justice to his book, on which the film is based, claims author Harinder Sikka.

Raazi, directed by Meghna Gulzar, is based on Sikka's book Calling Sehmat, and the author says he was not happy over the omission of the highlight Tricolour scene in the film, which is based on a real incident during the 1971 Indo-Pakistan war.

The story revolves around a young Kashmiri girl named Sehmat, played by Alia, who agrees to marry a Pakistani Army officer in order to spy for India.

"In the book, the story ends with Sehmat saluting the Tricolour. If the film had the same ending, the film would have won the National Award. I told the director that you have stopped the film from getting the National Award by cutting the Tricolour scene in the film. Though this was done by the wishes of the filmmakers, but I still have a resentment over it," Sikka said.

Talking about the book, Sikka said, "I was a person who had never written a book, and my first book Calling Sehmat sold around five lakh copies. Sehmat taught me how to live. We very easily paint all Kashmiri Muslims with the same brush, saying that Kashmiris are terrorists. We have to understand that no mother wants her son to carry a stone in his hand. Terrorism has been being funded there for so many years but there have also been Kashmiris like Sehmat who gave up their entire families for the country. Much has changed since the abrogation of Article 370. My next book is Section 370, and Sehmat is the inspiration again."

Sikka expressed his opinion during the session, Yatharth or Kalpana ka Saath at the Dainik Jagran Samvadi here.

Thank you so much. That and Alia is annoying as hell when she cries on screen. The wailing is so pathetic Ki Mann lagta h screen m ghuske isko khamosh kardu.

Edited by Lulzbolly - 4 years ago

Never read or heard of the book. Enjoyed the movie ðŸ˜† So the movie resonated more for me than the other source ðŸ˜†

Sehmat saluting the flag would have looked kinda out of place, given by the end of the movie, Shemat was shown as someone who are tired of everything.

I haven’t read the book but I have read some comments saying that the undertone/flavor of the book and movie are totally opposite.

Also the writer himself seems very shifty 

Once he said real sehmat was very happy with casting aalia and also went to meet her but changed her mind last minute. Another time he claimed that she passed away before this movie started.

The reason why Meghana Gulzar is one of the best in the business and why Raazi was wonderful. It wasn't a patriotic film per se. It was about a woman tired of hate and war by the end of the film.

Originally posted by Khai_R_Haagi

The reason why Meghana Gulzar is one of the best in the business and why Raazi was wonderful. It wasn't a patriotic film per se. It was about a woman tired of hate and war by the end of the film.

How was it not patriotic? And Sehmat was not driven by 'hate', but by love for her country and its people. What she did was necessary for the army and the country. 

Originally posted by Justwatching

I haven’t read the book but I have read some comments saying that the undertone/flavor of the book and movie are totally opposite.

Also the writer himself seems very shifty 

Once he said real sehmat was very happy with casting aalia and also went to meet her but changed her mind last minute. Another time he claimed that she passed away before this movie started.

I guess that’s why there were rumors that he made it all up and there was no Sehmat.  

THIS

Kudos to meghna for being sensitive about it

I LOVED the ending..what she says at the end while breaking down..so heartfelt

it was a patriotic movie, ab kiya "chati peetne wali" brand ko hi patriotism mano tum log lol.

The thing was, movie had anti war elements from Sehmat's perspective but it also acknowledged that everything is fair in war.