Views

Users

Frequent Posters

EXOL thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail + 7

Love Legion

Posted: 5 years ago

Originally posted by: simim

Sati was Shivas wife. She committed Sati. I don’t know how ppl say it’s not part of Hinduism and came with invaders.

God!!!

And it was prevalent everywhere in pockets. But was majorly in Bengal/Bihar/ Orissa.

Just like every bad thing with Hinduism some men pushed and propagated it so much that it became compulsory and that became an issue and that’s what the reformers fought against.

Everything is blamed on some invaders. It’s beyond ridiculous 

exactly like every tradition which was later turned to evil practise to suppress women...here also same thing happened.. cant even imagine the plight of women who had to live through it..

Edited by janta-janardhan - 4 years ago

Edited by janta-janardhan - 4 years ago
AllThatCritique thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Thug-Leader

answer some simple question, why did Goddess Sati committed Sati. Was she a widow? Did she commit Sati because Shiva die?

It's a long story but Sati basically immolated herself because her father insulted her husband Shiva and she sacrificed herself for save his honor. The same strain of honour was responsible for the custom as well. One honors their husband in life and then in death by committing Sati so that he is free from the cycle of birth and to purge their sins. That was the religious angle given to make it 'society-friendly' and to manipulate women to being 'chaste' and 'a pious wife'. The real reason was definitely property ownership. 

Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Thanks Pachu and ATC, but sorry it was a rhetorical question lol. While I don't agree with the BS these ''Hinduism Khatre Main Hain'' group, but I just found it was necessary to tell simsim mistook Sati's immolation with the widow immolation.
simim thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Thug-Leader

Thanks Pachu and ATC, but sorry it was a rhetorical question lol.While I don't agree with the BS these ''Hinduism Khatre Main Hain'' group, but I just found it was necessary to tell simsim mistook Sati's immolation with the widow immolation.

I did not. I know very well why Sati burnt herself. My point was that saying it’s not part of Hinduism and came with invaders is ridiculous when the custom is named after her act. And she is Shivas wife. And Shiva is a Hindu God. How can ppl say that it was not in Hinduism and came with invaders when the custom is named Sati.

The last known act of Sati was in 2002!!! Who invaded and who had to escape the invaders in 2002?

This is not the first time I am hearing this. This is something systematically spread during the last 5 years that anything problematic with Hinduism is due to invaders and anyone else. And if you disagree then you are an anti national sickular  urban naxal communist etc etc 

anjs thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Can someone tell me what is the actual thought process of Payal behind calling him a traitor............. he is the one who fought against Sati pratha.... why does that make him a traitor ?

Also before jumping on a 'Hate Hinduism, Hinduism is evil' bandwagon, do some research............. Sati Pratha was never prevalent in Maharashtra, Goa and I guess South India as well......... these parts also have Hindus, we worship lord Shiva and Goddess Sati, but there is no Sati Pratha here............ though yes Women were forced to shave their head in Maharashtra, but that was cause they feared that some men will try to force these young women............there was no action taken to usurp these women's properties..........cause there was  joint families and widow were also part of the families and looked after.......

yes, the shaving of head, not allowing to attend marriages etc were the sad part followed even in Maharashta........... but not in goa........not sure about south India though.......

simim thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: anjs

Can someone tell me what is the actual thought process of Payal behind calling him a traitor............. he is the one who fought against Sati pratha.... why does that make him a traitor ?

Also before jumping on a 'Hate Hinduism, Hinduism is evil' bandwagon, do some research............. Sati Pratha was never prevalent in Maharashtra, Goa and I guess South India as well......... these parts also have Hindus, we worship lord Shiva and Goddess Sati, but there is no Sati Pratha here............ though yes Women were forced to shave their head in Maharashtra, but that was cause they feared that some men will try to force these young women............there was no action taken to usurp these women's properties..........cause there was  joint families and widow were also part of the families and looked after.......

yes, the shaving of head, not allowing to attend marriages etc were the sad part followed even in Maharashta........... but not in goa........not sure about south India though.......

Pls show a comment which states  that they hate Hinduism? Why are you talking about which regions had it and which did not? That’s not being discussed here at all!!!

Pls go through what Payal said and what people commented.

She claims that Sati Pratha is not part of Hinduism and came with invaders and that people who fought against it are basically just followers of the British who were discrediting Hinduism by calling it a Hindu practice.

So I don’t know why you are talking about where it was followed and where it was not.