Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 5 years ago

Originally posted by: Stree

What makes you think I am triggered?
Dont worry I am cool as cucumber and if you want you can still answer what I asked of you😆

You said you know the answer, so matter what I say, you will believe what you want to believe.
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Flame.

Did the lady miss the context, or whether she was just one of those bureaucrats who was trying to be in the good books of those on the higher level by being rude to Palekar. Can't really say. 

I don't know about the lady. But most of us commenting here missed the context. 

Flame. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4
Some correction from my side. Amol Palekar was apparently criticizing the ministry of culture for not doing enough for local artists and not the NGMA. Still don't see any reason for that lady to be so rude to him. 
Flame. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

I don't know about the lady. But most of us commenting here missed the context. 

Oh, my bad. I thought you were talking about the bureaucrat. 
MeowMori thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Carbon, methane, nitrous oxide, Fluorinated gases are all greenhouse gases causing climate change. A few decades ago fluorinated gases received a lot of attention. Eventually, they were curtailed. 

Why focus on carbon dioxide and carbon taxes? Because it is the biggest elephant in the room. The 2016 US greenhouse gas emissions were 81% carbon dioxide, 10% methane, 6% nitrous oxide, and 3% fluorinated gases. (1) The numbers are not that different in other nations. 

Unfortunately, carbon taxing is not cut and dry. There are the oil and petrochemical lobby and automobile lobby that are against it. Many industries high in emissions are against it. Many people reliant on fuel are against it. Any increase in gas/petrol prices and everyone freaks out. That is what is happening in France. 

Solar energy is stored in photovoltaic cells (battery). A few hours of sunlight can generate enough energy for several days. There are solar powered street lights here in the North that run easily through winter despite shorter days and long stretches of cloudy grey weather. 

Solar panels degrade at 1% a year. After 20 years their capacity is 80% and not 0%.A solar grid can be built up over several years at a time. They can be then replenished a few panels at a time. This way costs can be reduced. (2) 

When it comes to energy - clean is not the only thing going for solar energy. 

The sun is infinite. The sun is universal (unlike oil/coal which are concentrated in certain regions). Solar energy can give people freedom to be untethered from the power grid. Electricity was slow to reach rural and low-density populations because there was no incentive to give them energy. They often were overcharged and forced to lease/own the lines and maintain them. The government had to intervene to subsidize and distribute energy. Solar allows rural and low-density populations to build their solar panels and be self-sufficient. Solar panels are also a one-time investment. Traditional energy costs you on a day to day basis. 

Wind is similar. But I don't know as much detail on wind energy. I'd be happy to dig into it as well. 

your opinion on nuclear energy ?
hedwig_fawkes thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: chachichampa

The Congress did all that and more.  The big thing they had on their side that time was there was no social media -- only a government controlled Doordarshan and bribed up media and news publications a little later.  You have to only see how rich the media people from those days have become with no real legitimate sources of income --- and you can understand how they earned their incomes.     

BJP is really no more controlling than the earlier parties.  In fact it is really less I would say --- if they did what the Congress were doing in their time then I would justify the fascist tag.  But as things go now I am hearing strong voices on both for and against the government so I think the fascist tag is mere propaganda and intelligent people should be able to see beyond propaganda despite whatever side they are on.  Dont just get taken in by empty rhetoric.    

I don't understand people like you, I honestly don't. Don't you want your elected representatives to be held accountable? Why treat them like celebrities you must defend at all costs?
And seriously? You think people being afraid to speak their mind is just "media propaganda"? In every thread on this forum it is taken for granted that BW celebs cannot be expected to speak their minds because there will be hell to pay if they criticize the current govt. You think everyone here is doing media propaganda? Deepika herself said no one had the courage to support her publicly. Why? 
If it's all in people's heads, why the backlash against Shah and Aamir Khan? 
Why were the two journalists killed? 

Why are people scared to speak? 
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: MeowMori

your opinion on nuclear energy ?

I don't mind it. I mean when you grow up in Bombay, one of the world's largest nuclear research facilities is right in your background. 

It is not as dangerous as people assume. Most major universities in the USA have a nuclear reactor for campus research. Most research facilities are transporting several radioactive materials on a day to day basis. People simply do not realize how much radioactive materials are used in medical research especially cancer research. Not to mention all the other dangerous explosives and materials in your average university. 

You are more likely to catch radiation from TSA security checkpoints than a nuclear reactor or radioactive materials. In fact, airport security equipment has no dosimetry reading requirements. Any piece of airport security equipment could be leaking radiation and no one is trained to or required to, to regularly inspect and maintain the equipment for radiation safety. 

Radiation is dangerous. Nuclear plants are dangerous. They need to be heavily regulated with strict security and processes. Chernobyl and 3-mile island were gross negligence. People who work at nuclear plants or radioactive research will attest to how secure their facilities and processes are. 

Except for the TSA. Worst radiation risk in the world. 

nigahen thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Carbon, methane, nitrous oxide, Fluorinated gases are all greenhouse gases causing climate change. A few decades ago fluorinated gases received a lot of attention. Eventually, they were curtailed. 

Why focus on carbon dioxide and carbon taxes? Because it is the biggest elephant in the room. The 2016 US greenhouse gas emissions were 81% carbon dioxide, 10% methane, 6% nitrous oxide, and 3% fluorinated gases. (1) The numbers are not that different in other nations. 

Unfortunately, carbon taxing is not cut and dry. There are the oil and petrochemical lobby and automobile lobby that are against it. Many industries high in emissions are against it. Many people reliant on fuel are against it. Any increase in gas/petrol prices and everyone freaks out. That is what is happening in France. 

Solar energy is stored in photovoltaic cells (battery). A few hours of sunlight can generate enough energy for several days. There are solar powered street lights here in the North that run easily through winter despite shorter days and long stretches of cloudy grey weather. 

Solar panels degrade at 1% a year. After 20 years their capacity is 80% and not 0%.A solar grid can be built up over several years at a time. They can be then replenished a few panels at a time. This way costs can be reduced. (2) 

When it comes to energy - clean is not the only thing going for solar energy. 

The sun is infinite. The sun is universal (unlike oil/coal which are concentrated in certain regions). Solar energy can give people freedom to be untethered from the power grid. Electricity was slow to reach rural and low-density populations because there was no incentive to give them energy. They often were overcharged and forced to lease/own the lines and maintain them. The government had to intervene to subsidize and distribute energy. Solar allows rural and low-density populations to build their solar panels and be self-sufficient. Solar panels are also a one-time investment. Traditional energy costs you on a day to day basis. 

Wind is similar. But I don't know as much detail on wind energy. I'd be happy to dig into it as well. 

Here's just one real world example to rebut all of that- 

https://www.dw.com/en/burning-wood-under-fire-are-forests-going-up-our-chimneys/a-41586050

And some more to explain the wood cutting aka deforestation aka...

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/tree-theft-on-the-rise-in-germany-as-heating-costs-increase-a-878013.html

This is the real world reality. Solar power may be able to power a bulb or a tubelight for a small house that gets enough sunny days in a year. It cannot power industries, cities, grids or even heating for that same small house. Why are bills rising in countries like Germany? 
And solar panels do not last beyond 25 years. Even if manufacturers' are citing only a 20% decline after 20 years, well, hello, in another 5 years, it goes down to 0. And we all know about manufacturer claims and how far removed they often are from ground reality. Here- https://www.greenbiz.com/article/what-will-happen-solar-panels-after-their-useful-lives-are-over

And again, how green are solar panels after all? How much pollution is generated in manufacture and how much when they are discarded after let's say 25 years?

See, this is what you get when you google something for the first time and just look up some stuff on the first page. And for the ignoramuses liking the comment, wait and watch. In only a few months' time all this will be mainstream news. And then your ignorant backsides' can sit back and recall where you guys read it first.
nigahen thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
^^ I dont know if there are enough brain cells to go around here to understand any of this. Store solar power. PFfft. Do you people understand basic science? What about the grid I ask? What about the grid. And do do more research beyond the first page of google.
Anyhow, I dont know how many people will actually get any of this. But here goes nothing.

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2014/09/10-trillion-would-be-needed-to-rebuild.html

ember 3, 2014 

Andrew Dodson presents "Issues Integrating Renewables: Chasing the Wind on a Cloudy Day at TEAC6 in Chicago (2014).

There economic and technical problems with using a lot of solar and wind.

Solar is subsidized with net metering where the utility is forced to store the excess solar power.
Hawaii has reached the point with solar energy (40%) where they are burning out their grid.

HIGHLIGHTS:

Wind causes severe frequency fluctuations both above and below 60 Hz.

Power Transients reduce reliability.

Non-dispatchability requires standby generation
Low capacity factor hurts payback (EROI).

Geographic non-optimal limitations.

Resonance between power line compensators and rotating machinery.

Sudden gusting behavior for wind, and cloud cover for solar both introduce serious transient behavior in power supply. Backup Power supplies that can compensate for this are inefficient in their use of fuel (Single cycle gas turbines vs. combined cycle) Regardless, operators must meet their obligations to provide high quality CONSISTENT power.

System Operators are SERIOUSLY penalized for violations of contractual power quality. Grid operators are heavily fined, sometimes millions of dollars per year for failure to appropriately regulate power. Brownouts/Blackouts are serious cost issues for large industry. Reliable power is the goal in utility industry. They typically operate at 99.5% or more (less than half a day per year)

A system is reliable if its components are individually reliable and connected in a fail safe configuration. Components are individually reliable if they have an appropriate MTTF remains constant across all modes of operation. Variability is more difficult to plan for appropriately and penalizes the cost structures built into utility financial models.

"There is not a single transmission expansion project in this country that is not currently being challenged by land owners. Pat Hoffman

"From Florida to California distribution feeders are being overloaded due to home generation of solar energy Pat Hoffman

"Many long lines in the western interconnect are currently being series compensated Pat Hoffman

(Pat Hoffman is Assistant Secretary of Department of Energy Office of Electricity Delivery and Energy Reliability.)

REFERENCES: