Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 5 years ago

Originally posted by: TheRowdiest

BJP/Modi claimed to be much better and different than congress then why Bhakts & supporters drag Congress to defend BJP & Modi's bad doings ? "congress did bad so it's ok if BJP is doing the same " ... Then how BJP is better than congress and deserves the power over congress ? ðŸ¤ª

is it true that CBI planning to raid Sad ji house because sad ji claimed in 2014 that he has so many evidence against Vadra ðŸ˜›ðŸ˜†
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: nigahen

I'll say it. CO2 is a good gas. Methane and N20 (nitrous oxide) are the real greenhouse gases. Global warming potential of methane is 104 and for nitrous oxide its 300 vs CO2's 1 over a 100 year period.
Fracking (methane producing) needs to be banned. And nitroexplosives and nitrofertilizer (huge nitrous oxide emitters) lobby needs to be shut down to curtail climate change. But the powers that be at all these Paris COP21 and Katowice never ever talk about methane or nitrous oxide.

Taxing carbon is just another kosher money making scheme. Have people not heard of the protests against the other "Champion of the Earth" Macron? Frenchies are baying for his blood. 

Carbon, methane, nitrous oxide, Fluorinated gases are all greenhouse gases causing climate change. A few decades ago fluorinated gases received a lot of attention. Eventually, they were curtailed. 

Why focus on carbon dioxide and carbon taxes? Because it is the biggest elephant in the room. The 2016 US greenhouse gas emissions were 81% carbon dioxide, 10% methane, 6% nitrous oxide, and 3% fluorinated gases. (1) The numbers are not that different in other nations. 

Unfortunately, carbon taxing is not cut and dry. There are the oil and petrochemical lobby and automobile lobby that are against it. Many industries high in emissions are against it. Many people reliant on fuel are against it. Any increase in gas/petrol prices and everyone freaks out. That is what is happening in France. 

Originally posted by: nigahen

Do people really think solar or wind power is some permanent green alternative to "bad bad energy" (sic) coal? Look up the research. What happens on a rainy day or a non-windy day or nights in case of solar power? Yes, those times power generating stations switch over to coal and in the long run, it leads to higher costs for everyone involved.

And just in case, someone thinks "oh but at least sometimes green energy is better than no green energy'. Look up research again. Solar panels and wind turbines have a limited shelf life of some 10-15 yrs max. And their production and disposal at the end of their effective shelf life is worse for the environment than coal could ever be. 

THIS in a nutshell. A money making scheme for the bankers.

Solar energy is stored in photovoltaic cells (battery). A few hours of sunlight can generate enough energy for several days. There are solar powered street lights here in the North that run easily through winter despite shorter days and long stretches of cloudy grey weather. 

Solar panels degrade at 1% a year. After 20 years their capacity is 80% and not 0%.A solar grid can be built up over several years at a time. They can be then replenished a few panels at a time. This way costs can be reduced. (2) 

When it comes to energy - clean is not the only thing going for solar energy. 

The sun is infinite. The sun is universal (unlike oil/coal which are concentrated in certain regions). Solar energy can give people freedom to be untethered from the power grid. Electricity was slow to reach rural and low-density populations because there was no incentive to give them energy. They often were overcharged and forced to lease/own the lines and maintain them. The government had to intervene to subsidize and distribute energy. Solar allows rural and low-density populations to build their solar panels and be self-sufficient. Solar panels are also a one-time investment. Traditional energy costs you on a day to day basis. 

Wind is similar. But I don't know as much detail on wind energy. I'd be happy to dig into it as well. 
Edited by return_to_hades - 5 years ago
People should not hijack any event for irrelevant and unrelated promotions. That being said people always ramble with irrelevant anecdotes and it is not always easy to discern where the line really is. That is why all presenters/speakers should get assigned a time limit and be provided a contract that outlines what is expected/what is out of bounds. A screen in front of the speaker displays time remaining and issues reminders if they get off track. If they don't heed three warnings - then they should get cut off. 
Anyway, all individuals should feel free to criticize the government and politicians. We should support this freedom irrespective of whether we agree or whether we like the person speaking. Democracy fails if any one person feels they cannot criticize the government freely. 
Flame. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4
I saw Palekar's interview with Barkha and I think I am with Palekar on this issue. According to Palekar, he was being critical of the National gallery of modern arts for not being open and accessible to more local artists which was taken as criticism of a government institution by the lady who cut him off. He even thanked the NGMA for conducting the event and providing them a stage to talk about Barve. She was too rude in her tone in my opinion. Also, he wasn't given any brief over the limitations in content of the speech. 
I don't think this was a case of intolerance as Barkha tried to portray it as - she even got in beef, lynching into the interview - it is Barkha, so I understand her need to do so, but the NGMA shouldn't really curtail criticism of its organisation and some decency should be exercised on part of the officials while talking to someone as senior as Amol Palekar. 
^^
*sigh* a reflection of our lack of nuance these days. Each side is ready to blame the other as wrong that no one sees the full context. 
Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Flame.

I saw Palekar's interview with Barkha and I think I am with Palekar on this issue. According to Palekar, he was being critical of the National gallery of modern arts for not being open and accessible to more local artists which was taken as criticism of a government institution by the lady who cut him off. He even thanked the NGMA for conducting the event and providing them a stage to talk about Barve. She was too rude in her tone in my opinion. Also, he wasn't given any brief over the limitations in content of the speech.

I don't think this was a case of intolerance as Barkha tried to portray it as - she even got in beef, lynching into the interview - it is Barkha, so I understand her need to do so, but the NGMA shouldn't really curtail criticism of its organisation and some decency should be exercised on part of the officials while talking to someone as senior as Amol Palekar.

matlab disrespect by the organizers was the issue, but it was made into intolerance by Madam Barkha.
simim thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Thug-Leader

matlab disrespect by the organizers was the issue, but it was made into intolerance by Madam Barkha.

Yes...looks like disrespect becoz he was criticizing a govt organization was stretched beyond context and made into an overall intolerance for critizing the govt
Ur-Miserable thumbnail

Originally posted by: simim

Yes...looks like disrespect becoz he was criticizing a govt organization was stretched beyond context and made into an overall intolerance for critizing the govt

that is the reason why I don't trust media at all.
Whether it is the right wing chutiyas or the left wing kaminas.
Flame. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

^^

*sigh* a reflection of our lack of nuance these days. Each side is ready to blame the other as wrong that no one sees the full context. 

Did the lady miss the context, or whether she was just one of those bureaucrats who was trying to be in the good books of those on the higher level by being rude to Palekar. Can't really say. 
Ur-Miserable thumbnail

Originally posted by: Stree

Aur tu kis lavde ki paidaish hai be ye bhi toh bata ab now that you told us where all chutiyas and kaminas belong to... or just dont coz I already know😆

why are you getting triggered, or you are from media?