Twinkle Khanna calls Army man a troll; plays the woman-victim card - Page 7

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 5 years ago
I can't understand some people here. Same people find twinkle posts funny when she insults our customs and different people with the help of Oxford dictionary. But someone else who  countered her ignorance is suddenly a aggressive person? seriously🀑
Kaoridz thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Heisenberg17_

People with a good grasp on the English language will understand exactly what he meant, and it's not what you think. πŸ˜†

No only people who take pleasure in seeing celebs getting abused will understand it the way you did.

No sane person will support these kinds of threats but yeah to each his own : we certainly don't share the same ethics.

By the way, I might not be as eloquent in English as other here because it's just my third language and I picked it up on my own but you're definitely not intimidating me. RTH expressed my thoughts better than me and it makes more sense to me than what you're trying to defend.

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Flame.

Well, then one needs better comprehension skills, because the context in which he is talking is pretty obvious from his FB post, unless one wants to deliberately come up with a different meaning. He was very clear in stating his intention i.e taking her to the court. The use of the idiom was made in this context. Yes, the idiom has two meanings and that is exactly why one needs to take the context into consideration. Twinkle made it an issue by misinterpreting it. 

Believe it or not, I had absolutely no idea that "give a bloody nose" was a figure of speech until this incident. I actually had to look it up and see its a figure of speech as well. 

So either my comprehension skills are poor or it could be regional/cultural language differences. 

You cannot always assume that people will get what you mean. Impact is different from intent. His intent may have just been to threaten a lawsuit. The impact, however, is Twinkle, me, and many other people intentionally/unintentionally misunderstood as a physical threat. If he is not a troll, he ought to apologize for the unintentional threat of violence and clarify that his intent was to protect the honor of a military uniform through legal means. 
astha36 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: FuturePapa

Even some people with high end vocab are taking his words at face value. I feel me with poor English understood his point better. seriously  . astha I can't believe I m loving your posts lol

That's why I doubted my own stance for a moment. πŸ˜†
y should he apologise? it's a idiom and even in courts it will be proved that it's a idiom. If miss funnybones can't understand it, then its her problem. He doesn't need to apologise and i hope he won't! Because anyone with common sense can see that there was no threat! Edited by FuturePapa - 5 years ago
Sharanya_ thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Believe it or not, I had absolutely no idea that "give a bloody nose" was a figure of speech until this incident. I actually had to look it up and see its a figure of speech as well. 

So either my comprehension skills are poor or it could be regional/cultural language differences. 

You cannot always assume that people will get what you mean. Impact is different from intent. His intent may have just been to threaten a lawsuit. The impact, however, is Twinkle, me, and many other people intentionally/unintentionally misunderstood as a physical threat. If he is not a troll, he ought to apologize for the unintentional threat of violence and clarify that his intent was to protect the honor of a military uniform through legal means. 

Why should he apologize for others' ignorance and misunderstanding of a common idiom? πŸ˜•
Flame. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

If Twinkle, you and others like you misunderstood his intent, then why does he need to apologise? Shouldn't it be the other way around? It's not his fault that Twinkle had no idea about the alternate meaning of the idiom. After threatening legal action, he used the figure of speech in the very next sentence as he knew it. To me, all of it looked like a man expressing his feelings about an issue he felt strongly for.

I am in no way suggesting I have superior comprehension skills, and I honestly appreciate, or even sometimes envy your command over the English language. Therefore, I am shocked to see you of all people misinterpreting this so badly. 

Flame. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: astha36

That's why I doubted my own stance for a moment. πŸ˜†

I have no clue of what it is between the two. But, this was so funny to read that it actually made me laugh πŸ˜†

I have no clue of what it is between the two. But, this was so funny to read that it actually made me laugh πŸ˜†

we both fight a lot as she is deepika fan and i m Katrina fan. But when it comes to country and army we can keep fights awayπŸ˜†
Edited by FuturePapa - 5 years ago
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

If Twinkle, you and others like you misunderstood his intent, then why does he need to apologise? Shouldn't it be the other way around? It's not his fault that Twinkle had no idea about the alternate meaning of the idiom. After threatening legal action, he used the figure of speech in the very next sentence as he knew it. To me, all of it looked like a man expressing his feelings about an issue he felt strongly for.

I believe that humans should be sensitive to the "impact" of their words. Even if words were misunderstood or misconstrued - if someone was hurt or offended or felt threatened by the words you use - you apologize. I don't think it is an apology for the words, feelings or intentions you have, but an apology for hurtfully impacting others. It is the right thing to do. 

No one is compelled to align with my notions. No one has to apologize. But when people throw words willy-nilly with no disregard for how they impact others - I see it as disrespectful trollish behavior. 

Most of the time on this forum - if I unintentionally hurt someone or get misunderstood - I apologize. And yes, there are times when I refuse to acknowledge my word choices were poor - those are my asshole troll moments. 

On a lighter note - words don't always mean the same across the world - for the longest time I thought peanut butter and jelly was the grossest sandwich in the world - until I discovered Jelly: USA:: Jam:India
Edited by return_to_hades - 5 years ago