Users

Frequent Posters

Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 6 years ago

Originally posted by: --L--

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjqYpsuBrPU&app=desktop[/YOUTUBE]

:D 👏

God, I missed so many details! And woah, I didn't imagine Olive's song in the opening scene was that... one would think it was some children's song about rainbows and unicorns 😆 So much attention to details, and the speciality of this movie is, it doesn't force those details on your face.. they're just normally present in a scene, takes multiple viewings to get them.. I love this analysis, I've tried reading some analysis but they seemed too complex for my fuzz brain. TFS TFS ⭐️ the commentor's passion for the movie... 👏👏

Charlie Kaufman 👏👏
Roujin Z (Anime)

I'm surprised by the vision of this anime made almost 30 years ago :D

This anime is about an 'experiment' carried out by Japanese Public Welfare Ministry in providing care for the elderly. But, what they come up with is a 'bed', that has ALL utilities for the invalid - from feeding to inbuilt bathroom, radio to provision to make multiple phone calls are the same time! This machine has everything to cater to the needs of people bed-bound... it is a sixth generation COMPUTAH ! 

But, the COMPUTAH is so intelligent that it starts acting on it's own, and with our Oji-chan trapped in it, his thoughts are read by the computah, which in turn gets programmed as his deceased wife... The computer transforms into an uncontrollable robot on a rampage, and we have army, govt, press chasing after the contraption... 

For me, this anime really makes us question - if AI can be trusted after a point, if machine and human cannot work together, is it unethical to leave elderly to machine's care - (I mean we can see love, while machine takes care), and so on.. 

I enjoyed it very much.. there's something about late 80s-early 90s anime, music, style, fashion, VIBE that I really love.
Akira (1988, anime)

First things first - SOUNDTRACK 👏 👏⭐️ ..that background score killed me, one of the best soundtracks ever. And not to forget, the sound effects were also really good for one made 30 years ago.

The VISION and execution of this anime is what is very very impressive.. I watched this movie after getting to know that this movie was path-breaking animated movie, how it set a precedent, one that garnered a lot of cult following back then, and is always ranked #1 on every anime list i've seen.. and I think I can now understand why.

This sci-fi movie, like Satoshi Kon's movies gave me that 'wow, this movie is going to be great' feeling within the first couple of minutes of this movie - one of the best opening scenes.. and a bike chase scene in the beginning.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP6vWDUfgpo[/YOUTUBE]

A little bit about the plot - set in 2019, Neo-Tokyo, 30 years after a nuclear explosion which wiped out the city, is now rife with anti-government elements, corrupt politicians and is on the verge of a socio-political revolution. In this big beautiful city, we have our bikers - childhood friends, Kaneda and Tetsuo, whose fate is entirely changed one night during a tiff between two rival bike gangs. 
Tetsuo accidentally crashes into a mysterious child(who is a subject to government's experiments along with two other kids) leaving him with psycho-kinetic powers, and is then taken away by a mysterious government authority. Kaneda follows his friend in an attempt to rescue him, but Tetsuo is now consumed and blinded by his power and strength, going around Tokyo on a rampage... 

^that is the synopsis.

There are some very good thought-provoking dialogues about the double-edged sword that scientific advancement is, about creation-destruction being an inevitable cycle of universe - both at societal level and also universe (this is actually shown in the movie especially towards the ending shot), human evolution, 'energy' of all life, and so on.. 

I absolutely loved this movie... one of the best ever indeed.. the animation, the plot, the music.. dear God - the music, the vision of the director/writer. It is wonderful how we are now in 2018 and the movie envisioned something for Tokyo in 2019... 😃 

.. and.. I love the 'style' in 80s movies - especially action movies, with gangs. This movie was ahead of it's time in it's imagination and execution, DIRECTION - it takes very skilled direction to execute a move with a plot like this.. there's a wave/rhythm to this movie, I can't explain lol... felt like a complete package of a movie and the way movie ends with Kaneda capturing that light, and that depiction of universe and that MUSIC - it was a great feeling watching the way the movie ended... gah, I wish I could watch this movie in a theatre.. This movie is also emotional towards the end, not emotional because of characters, but the idea presented there was really touching.. 

The SICK sexy soundtrack went so well with various components of the movie -

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpDvtIt6Lsc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ_BOnPg02A[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De3cWcjZ0Q0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NpbLMvtEsU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcoYg2uUg84[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKvtbH8qUWU[/YOUTUBE]
Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 6 years ago

Sila Samayangalil - An Opinion

Venue - NETFLIX

I as pretty enthusiastic about this film right the time it was announced as Aamir Khan - Mohanlal film in Hindi. But later it was made in Tamil with Prakash Raj. Priyadarshan is mostly known for his comic entertainers but rarely this director has gone when he deals with sensitive/serious subjects. If someone claims that Priyadarshan is a best director the country has ever seen, then I can add Sila Samayangalil as a proof to support the viewpoint along with many others.

The movie's storyline is pretty simple. 7 people waiting for their HIV test results and the tension they face during the waiting period. Now Priyan just takes the simplest but the most effective route. He conveys how the society sees an AIDs patient just by the discreet nature of the applicants. Next he introduces each characters through multiple conversations initiated by a character and conveys the reason behind the test. Then he concludes with the results. Not how many directors will be able to deliver an effective film like Sila Samayangalil based on this path. I think rarely!! Now Priyan is not only a brilliant visionary but has the street smart tricks in his sleeves which he uses effectively in most of his movies. This is where the character played by Sreya Reddy plays a key role.

There is not even a single moment which can be put in the "not required" category. Also Priyan did his trademark detailing as brilliantly as possible so that you can feel that you are witnessing the conversations as if you are there in the hospital as the 8th character. You will empathize with most characters if not all and thus really pray that none attains the unthinkable. The manner he and Ilayaraja used silence as simply unbelievable. Its been quite a while since we saw both masters in their art joining hand together (after Kaalapaani). If Kaalapaani had symphony styled scores, Sila Samayangalil had the most mildest tones that you will not even notice and yet feel the emotions conveyed by each character. With Samir Thahir, he opted for a uniform color tone which is slightly dark (more like grey) that suited the mood of the movie. Its absolutely treat to watch Beena Paul associating with Priyadarshan for the first time in a movie which suits her style.

The performances for every actor as top notch and I just cannot pick one and say that he or she was the best. Even in a guest appearance kinda role, Nasser was so effective.

This is easily Priyadarshan's best work in recent times and I think this can challenge his last best work, Kanivaram. I really wonder why is he not making such a movie in Malayalam with or without Mohanlal. A true masterpiece!!

Ratings - 3.5 / 5.0
Edited by Himalaya10 - 6 years ago

MOHANLAL -- My Review

I went to see this movie more because my wife wanted to see the film. But tell you what, the movie turned out to be a much better than what I was expecting.

The movie titles start with many iconic scenes and dialogues of the legend Mohanlal that was pretty cool. As you all may already knew the movie is about a hard-core Mohanlal fan Meenakshi, the reason for her fandom and the issues the fandom brings to her married life which almost send her husband Sethumadhavan to the verge of suicide.

Manju Warrier is at her elements as the hard-core Lal Meenakshi aka Meenukutty. She carries the movie on her shoulders easily with a very good performance. She gets a mass entry which was welcomed by a good round of applause by the people in the theatre. It was refreshing seeing Manju enacting so easily on the screen which was missing in most of her movies in her 2nd innings.

Indrajith was good in his role as the hapless husband who suffers a lot due to the fandom of his wife. Soubin's role as the beggar does manage to crack you up sometimes.

There isn't much of a logic in the movie towards the end. However you can forgive that considering the theme of the movie. The fans association is shown as a group of very good people who does a lot of charity and stuff which is kinda understandable considering the movie is about a hard-core fan.

My rating :- 3.25/5

Avengers: Infinity War

AMC IMAX - Friday 04/27 7 pm show - New Jersey

THERE WAS AN IDEA..

10 years, 18 films down the road, comes down to this moment - Avengers: The Infinity War. More than a money-spinning, blockbuster franchise, the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) inspired a generation. When Iron Man first came out in 2008, I thought it was just another comic book adaptation, until Nick Fury walked in to indicate a connected universe. But it wasn't to be. From giving people a second chance in life to make things right, with Star Lord giving up his celestial powers to be like "everybody else, sorting out sibling rivalries, the Afrofuturism of Black Panther, the dealing of refugees, immigrants, and imperialism in Thor: Ragnarok in Nick Fury's words, "We could all become something more. When heroes (both men and women), unite from different worlds to defeat evil, they are sending out a message to the viewers as well. Be Together, putting aside our petty differences. This is an incredible achievement for a cinematic ensemble.

Avengers: Infinity War - The most thrilling and bold film in MCU.. Nobody must have expected a shocking climax like this (even if we see a reversal or expected atleast some of this) - thats the scale with which Marvel played and they played it well.. After one hell of a cinematic experience, loving it to bits, audience are forced to say "i Hate this movie" - Power of marketing, strategy, and imagination. Kevin Feige - I salute you.. Before watching Iron Man in 2008, i only knew a handful of Superheros from comics.. Batman was my favorite (cemented it because of Nolan's Wonder trilogy), Spiderman and ofcourse the bigger superhero of all times, Superman). But to wow a person like me and invest my time into this, Marvel can be called the most successful studio in history..

Several impact scenes, goosebumps unlimited.. Captain had a kickass entry.. the whole theater erupted.. And when that BG music of Wakanda kicked in slowly with the focus on Cap's face, the eruption was even bigger.. What followed was tremendous battle scenes, different war fronts, and some good humor. But the best was saved for Thor's reentry.. I have never had an experience as such in theaters.. It stands above Batman's entry in The Dark Knight Rises and Lalettan's court scene in 20/20. The theater exploded in full power.. even the DC fan who I chatted with while standing in line (he came to see the film to watch everyone die), clapped.. and the clapping went on for that entire sequence.. till Thor established his supremacy..

From then, Marvel took us into a different world.. the ending was shocking.. parents had to drag out crying kids.. the loud gasps filled the theater air.. Gamora's sequence with Thanos in his quest for the soul stone is beyond words..

Surely, this is not a classic.. but if this is what a cinematic triumph is, then Avengers: Infinity War has reached that peak.. This movie will be talked on for generations.. Though the Winter Soldier, Black Panther, Civil War, IM3, and GOTG movies stand above this one as a movie, the impact of Infinity War is similar to Thor's Stormbreaker..

and Thanos - what a villain!! the way he was presented, his power, emotions, his mission.. Russo brothers and the brilliant writers deserve huge applause.. from the moment I watched Winter Soldier, and then news broke out after Avengers 2 that the Russo bros will be directing the Infinity War, I knew this would be a kickass one..

can't wait for Captain Marvel and Avengers 4.. and in between Antman and the Wasp..

bring it on Marvel.. continue to Marvel.. the timing couldn't be better.. when Black Widow says "she's not alone" the theater erupted again, all in line with current situation in America.. and then all these superheroes are going to unite behind the most powerful character in Marvel comics, a woman!! And that too, its only fitting that the original Avengers will be the key to the final Avengers film..

Go watch from a packed theater with good sound and picture!! An unbelievable cinematic experience..

Avengers : Infinity war is everything a Marvel superhero movie fan wants. You have (almost) all your superheroes in a single movie, you have brilliantly choreographed action set pieces, nice humor scenes, superbly executed combo scenes, there are scenes that makes you emotionally moving and then there is THANOS...the biggest and most powerful villain in the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe who is capable of doing the unthinkable. For years DC fans used the theory of weak villains in the MCU movies (well the poor souls doesn't have anything else to defend themselves from the MCU onslaught is another story ), but with the arrival of Thanos (finally) even that theory is obsolete now.

Avengers : Infinity war is basically a Thanos show. It follows the mad Titan's quest for all the 6 infinity stones which will give him supreme power to wipe out half the humanity. The stones are at different places in the galaxy and he is after it one by one. Will he be able to get all the stones and will the Avengers - though scattered - be able to stop Thanos from attaining invincibility is what the movie is about.

The Russo brothers have managed to execute this movie in a way one feel only they could have done. Yes the movie is longer than usual but there isn't a moment where you feel bored. It moves at a fair clip and you are transformed from countries to countries and even from planets to planets to see the various sets of Avengers on their mission to stop the catastrophe Thanos can cause if he gets all the infinity stones. The CGI and VFX are indeed top notch as you would expect from Marvel.

There are a lot of scenes that induces a good laugh. Tony Stark - Dr. Strange - Spiderman scene inside the Black order spaceship, GOTG - Thor scene, Stark - Starlord scene, Bruce Banner and his inner Hulk scene...to name a few.

Coming to goosebumps moments, Captain America's intro scene (mass!) was met with a collective roar in the theater, same was when the BGM for Black Panther arrived and the next scene showed the huge Black Panther statue in Wakanda. But the best was reserved for the last when God of Thunder Thor blasts into the Wakandan war zone with his newly acquired weapon...that was some scene!!

The final 10 minutes of the movie still haunts me...to see so many of your beloved superheroes getting disintegrated into air...tough! A truly remarkable change from the earlier MCU movies where you go home happy after the end credits roll.

Thanos is invincible...most of the Avengers are no more, the remaining ones doesn't have a clue as to what has to be done...some are left stranded in far away planets...post credits scene shows the emergence of a new Avenger...are they still good enough to regroup and unleash hell on Thanos...??? Yes they are..!! How...??? Bring it on Russo brothers...

Spoilers ahead...

Preamble

When this movie was about to release, I was initially sceptical, thinking how the makers would balance Earth's Mightiest Heroes, the Guardians as well as Thanos and his henchmen/women. Well, have no fear, Marvel and the Russo Brothers have accomplished this task rather splendidly for the most part.

Storyline

The title may as well have been called Thanos: Infinity War since the majority of the movie explores his motivations, vulnerabilities, menace and just how far he truly can go to collect the Infinity Stones. Here Marvel plays its first bold move. By centering the film around Thanos, they not only show how easy it takes for him to wipe out half the Avengers, but also highlight a humane side to him through his complex love-hate relationship with his adopted daughter Gamora. The Thanos-Gamora relationship also takes up much of the emotional side of the film. Josh Brolin is just too good despite the limitations which he is placed under through CGI. Which leaves rather little time for the expanded Avengers crew and the Guardians but the directors ensure everyone has their moments to shine. Marvel's second bold move is to show Thanos victorious and many of our beloved superheroes literally turn to ashes at the end. This is profoundly haunting and moving and the last 15 minutes or so have still not left my head. The third intriguing aspect of this movie is how frustrating it is to see that each time an Avenger or group of Avengers feel they have tackled Thanos, some stupid mistake or egoistic decision leads to it all being undone. Iron Man doesn't call Captain America. Starlord's patience running out means Thanos gets to overpower the group of heroes at Titan. Starlord doesn't kill Gamora at the hands of Thanos though she expressly asks him to do so. Vision insists on tagging alone though his Mind Stone holds the key to the universe not being wiped out (why he does so is among the weakest points of the story).

I really felt that the movie could have benefited from fewer characters though. Vision and Wanda's relationship continues to confound me as the two actors have zero chemistry. Wanda herself seems clueless for the most part. Black Widow continues to be frustratingly under-utilised and the Guardians lack the natural humour and screen presence that made their solo entries so entertaining (Except for Gamora, who has a central role). Bucky feels left out, War Machine and Falcon have limited screen time (might as well have joined house arrest with the other rebel Avengers). In fact for the most part the humour in the movie does feel forced which is surprising considering this is usually one of Marvel's strengths. Nonetheless, it is not easy to balance the arcs and motivations of so many characters.

Favourite Avengers

I felt really touched by the naivety and innocence of Peter Parker and the filmmakers convincingly develop his relationship with Iron Man to the end. Downey does a good job as the humane, vulnerable Iron Man while Thor and Captain America make for the more whistle-worthy Avengers this time round (Thor's entry in the Battle of Wakanda is badass). Banner continues his fun run from Ragnarok and induces the most laughs. Zoe Saldana gives it her all as Gamora and Dr Strange has a lot of fun and yet may still have the key to how it all ends. A strong villain also makes an intriguing return.

Technical aspects

For such a movie it is rather surprising Marvel does not build on the lovely individual themes of the Avengers and therefore the music could have been more impactful. Visuals are superb. Editing could have been better as some scenes do feel a little stretched out.

Overall

I would still rank The Avengers as the best of the lot when it comes to the MCU. However, the boldness and risk taking nature of Infinity War makes this one of the more memorable entries of the MCU universe. I can't wait for what will unfold in the next few movies, and hats off, Marvel, for delivering on 10 years of build up, end credits scenes and Thanos. The last few minutes really leave us all in shock and wonder. It has to be the most ambitious ending that any superhero movie has hitherto attempted.

THE CONCLUSION!

I AM WAITING..!!!

8.0 / 10.0

I saw Ghar Ho To Aisa. Real old school . Weird movie with Anil Kapoor. Where Mother in Law treats Daughter in law like crap the whole movie. An in the end her suicide attempt redeems her 😆😆 She tries to light herself on fire 😆😆😆

" Uncle " is an Excellent Social Relevant Drama

Uncle starts off with Mammooty meeting Karthika in Ooty and accompanying her in his journey to Kerala.The story revolves around the things happening during the journey.

Mammooty as Krishna Kumar delivers an Excellent Performance with his subtle acting technique.It was very happy to see the MegaActor in such a good form after some time.Muthumani just rocked with her performance and made the Theatre hall clapped for the police station scene.Joy Mathew delivered a matured performance and Meganathan was Excellent as police officer.Karthika also did a commendable job.

The Screenplay by Joy Mathew deserves a huge round of applause as he created a script which includes the things happening in our Family and Society.Girish Damodar as a debut director has delivered a terrific job and made audience sticked to their seats through out the movie.The final 30 minutes of the movie is the soul as it gives a big slap to the moral police of our society.

Frames from Azhakkappan was superb and it was a Joy to watch the Visuals on big screen.Editor also did a nice job as cuts were crisp.Music and Bgm from Bijipal was also commendable.

While...Just few minutes into the film, we get this strange feeling about the character KK played by Mammukka, and we ask this question is this man a philanderer or is this a typical filmy ploy that the makers are using to hide a rather conspicuous climax. Well, the answer is, it is bit of both. Scenarist Joy Mathew and director Girish Damodar weaves around a narrative asking questions on false morality of a hypocritical society.

Debutant director Girish Damodar's Uncle had an attractive trailer, that almost explained what to expect from the film.

It's a social thriller road film that points to some of socially relevant areas, which is actually required for an introspective for each one of us. As usual I am not going into the story and don't wanna be a spoilsport!

In this movie there is a genuine short story and some messages for all as well. But the problem is the way it all has been narrated. The director/writer stretches the story, testing the patience of the viewer in the process.

The performances are nothing to rave about and that doesn't help things either. I saw lot of post praising the acting skills of mammootty in this movie. I am sure the people who back with those comments are surely unaware of the legend's real skills in his golden era. Muthumani has something to perform in this movie and she shines at her best.

Uncle has its moments and the story has relevance during these times. Still it falls short of becoming the engaging thriller that it sets out to be. If what you look forward to in a movie are some honest messages, this one could be a fine option. At best, it's an  above average  one-time watch.

Rating:3.25 / 5

Verdict: Uncle is a fine movie that addresses social Relevant theme in a prolific manner.

Ghost in the Shell (1995, anime)

👏 👏 Finally watched this anime which is considered the greatest films of all times, has a cult following, said to be an inspiration to the Wachowskis in creating their Matrix. 

I can totally see why it is so highly regarded, especially in that era when the idea of AI was gaining craze for the first time in our human history, and in that cyberpunk era. But, I think the movie applies to us humans as well... aren't we all ghosts in our shells? And what is life.. how do you prove an existence, what is "consciousness", how do you prove it, how do you prove that your memories/information contained within you are real and not manufactured/simulated or dreamt,  is there a difference between reality and fantasy, the difference between the mask we wear and the ghost within us? What is "self" , how can you be 'yourself' when you are ever-changing? ...ahhh I dig this shit.

I have my own ideas on all these things and this movie really satiated my appetite for engaging my mind in such topics 😃 The movie deals with some heavy philosophical existential stuff, i loved it.. even said some beautiful things about human evolution.

OK, coming to the film, as the art it is - opening scene was so stunning... and when opening credits rolled ...👏 easily one of my favorite opening credits 

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsiepGvjjTM[/YOUTUBE]

And then the scene immediately following this scene - another scene with so much meaning in it - we see Kusanagi awaking in a room, with a huuuge window overlooking the big city of Tokyo.. 

And my most favorite scene from this movie

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjoRQHXd6tk[/YOUTUBE]

This movie is full of metaphors or symbolisms.. like in this scene, we see how Kusanagi loves to dive deep despite feeling fear, loneliness, etc because as she explains later in a scene that she feels like she's becoming someone new - I think it (diving and floating) reminds her of her own birth, when she was made into this 'someone new'. She is faced with the dilemma of the ghost within her and of the physical body 'she is', (the two are real is shown in the reflection of her image)and, the camera showing her view through the goggles that have water droplets- good.. I can't explain but i love it. I think we all despite being 'fully' humans go through the same kind of things she is seen going through.. 

and another scene where she's seen going around the city on a boat during a rainy day is really profound as it reflects her own feelings about herself.. we see man-made things that are working and also as trash in the streets, the plane shaped like a bird flies over the city but it's image on a building gives a bird-like appearance, there are some boards "ensuring life like performance", mannequins on the other side of the glass and reflections of humans walking past... beautiful scene yaar!

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB-ik-Bpl0c[/YOUTUBE]

@1.45 -- why does the man walking past the mannequins looks at at glass - perhaps himself or a mannequin with his mouth agape? is there some reason or a meaning. 

There's a scene where it is revealed to a man that his memory of his life is fake and was instilled by someone else, that was really profound.. My dad always tells me that mother/father/brother/child are all nothing but our own projections, and it could be true.. how do you prove anything.. but I guess our love is the only proof for ourselves - again, another thing like our consciousness that cannot be proved in human capacity.

..The scene where Puppet Master talks about human, how 'life' cannot be explained, DNA as a memory system(or a programme), how artificial intelligence is just as real as the human.. and that ending scene where Puppet Master asks if he can merge with Kusanagi -

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ6hkzKVYQg[/YOUTUBE]

^ found this scene quite romantic TBH.

And the scene before this - when various fossil carvings get shot at, including the one that depicts evolution of life - and the gun stops just below the 'hominis' .

THE ENDING SCENE - the way camera zooms over child of Kusanagi and Puppet Master, looking at herself in the mirror... I guess that search never stops... and the last lines gave such a perfect ending to this movie "the net is infinite and limitless" or something of that sort.. 

DIRECTION was excellent. Although, I admit - some of the stuff like government officials talking and all felt unnecessary for me, was little slow in some scenes... but otherwise, I enjoyed it very much. Makes me want to watch Matrix again. The animation was excellent - just beautiful. And... music was brilliant too - went well with scenes.. how is it that most classic anime have such good music?! 

Will end this rambling with one of my favorite quotes that appeared in the movie, in an important scene - "For now we see through a glass, darkly" .
Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 6 years ago
Watched 3 short films (anime)

I felt kinda uneasy watching it.. it has an eerie vibe and those graoning sounds and even the voice-over gave it a spooky feel. This movie is about cicada, I think it's about cicada's resilience and perseverance. I wonder what '3114' of the title means.

La Maison en Petit Cubes

Loved this one so much 😃 ..animation/story/music... beautiful.

Ursa Minor Blue

I feel like I kinda didn't understand this mysterious one, other than taking it at face value, but maybe it is not meant to be understood.. it feels like a fantasy of a child or a children's story teller/writer.. is so blue :D ..has a magical feel to it, despite such simplistic animation - there's a heavy calm vibe.. oddly, felt very nostalgic.. music is beautiful too..