Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

WhosTheFool thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 5 years ago
@ ALD - Spirited Away Review.

Review I'm not sure I can write because it is more a feeling based, and I'm not sure I'm articulate enough to put it in words. 
I just loved the movie man. So much to see, so many charachters, locations, scenarios...and just made me feel good. 

If I like something, or it pique's my interest I have a habit of searching about it on Pinterest. You get to see lots of fan art and various interpretations of the given subject. Sometimes even a fan concocted after story, which sort of quenches your thirst for the given subject for the time being atleast. So I did the same for Spirited Away, and came across this. 

Spirited Away (mindblow). Seriously, if you haven't seen this movie, go watch it right now. Stunning.

I wished there was a part 2 of this movie. 

Edit - And the message, "Once you meet someone, you never really forget them", was just beautiful. 

Also loved the charachter of Chirro. She was an all heart person through and through. 
Edited by DejaPoo - 5 years ago
Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: DejaPoo

@ ALD - Spirited Away Review.

Review I'm not sure I can write because it is more a feeling based, and I'm not sure I'm articulate enough to put it in words. 
I just loved the movie man. So much to see, so many charachters, locations, scenarios...and just made me feel good. 

If I like something, or it pique's my interest I have a habit of searching about it on Pinterest. You get to see lots of fan art and various interpretations of the given subject. Sometimes even a fan concocted after story, which sort of quenches your thirst for the given subject for the time being atleast. So I did the same for Spirited Away, and came across this. 

Spirited Away (mindblow). Seriously, if you haven't seen this movie, go watch it right now. Stunning.

I wished there was a part 2 of this movie. 

Edit - And the message, "Once you meet someone, you never really forget them", was just beautiful. 

Also loved the charachter of Chirro. She was an all heart person through and through. 

You write fine, Dejaa ðŸ˜ƒ that was interesting to read, tempted to watch this now.. 

WhosTheFool thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Oh you haven't seen it? Then please do watch it. You might like it. Also August Rush. And let me know what you thought whenever you happen to watch it. 
movie review---Omerta

Review has spoilers

'Omerta' is a strange name for a film on a terrorist , for it is the code of silence and non co operation with authorities of the Sicilian criminal fraternity . The film's main protagonist is Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh , and 'Omerta' rhymes with Omar which is part of the main character's name . Maybe that's why the name was chosen for the film .

Omar was a person of pakistani descent raised in Britain , and was an educated man . His father wanted him to lead a normal life of a civilian , and was bitterly opposed to his radicalisation---something that is brought out in several scenes in the film . Even the neighbourhood maulana ( religious figure ) who was a radical himself , thought that Omar was used to too much luxury to lead the tough life of a jehadi because it is filled with too many privations .

But the scenes shown on television of the war in Bosnia and sufferings of muslims there made Omar choose the path of jehad in order to counter the atrocities that were supposedly being committed on muslims everywhere . Here too he was subject to taunts that he was a softy who had lived too much of the luxurious life in Britain to go on the path of jehad , but Omar showed what a hard individual he really was by savagely beating the person who taunted him .

In fact his education brought him to special attention of the notorious ISI ( inter services intelligence ) that is the spy agency of pakistan and masterminds the training of jehadis . Omar was picked to be future leader of jehad because according to one of the pakistani masterminds of terrorism it is the educated jehadi who instils real fear in his opponents minds rather than an illiterate one .

In pakistan Omar was introduced to every pakistani jehadi's favourite obsession which is Kashmir ( what else ) and his focus turned from Bosnia to Kashmir and the much hyped ( much exaggerated in pakistan at least ) so called sufferings of the kashmiris at the hands of the Indian army . And his attention turned to India .

The training in the jehad factory or rather terrorist training camp shows a scene of a terrorist jumping down from a cliff to his death just to show his readiness to follow his masters' commands , and as he falls everyone erupts in the war cry 'Allah-hu-Akbar' . After his training is complete Omar is sent to Indian capital city Delhi to commit jehad against India .

Here he uses a hindu name , but at a routine road checking the Delhi police recognise him for what he is and call him a ' mullah' . But naive westerners are fooled by his sophistication as he slickly uses his western upbringing to become friends with westerners---two british and one czech male and one american female . And kidnaps them and holds them hostage . But the Indian authorities catch him and put him in jail . He is hung upside down and beaten up .

But what follows is the most shameful episode for India as a nation . Actually it is quite clear that Omar is an pakistani ISI agent . Why is he allowed to live and not put to death by India ? Instead his father is allowed to meet him and he brings a lawyer who tries to extradite him as he is a British citizen . Omar even tries to radicalise the Indian muslim lawyer by asking him if he is happy in India but is rebuffed by the lawyer who says he is very happy . Then an Indian jet is hijacked and the pakistan backed terrorists who hijacked it demand that Omar be released along with others in order to let the hijacked passengers be let free . The Indian government releases Omar and Omar arrives in triumph in Pakistan to be paraded on the shoulders of other terrorists to the cries of 'Allah-hu-Akbar' .

Omar becomes a hero in pakistan and gets married to a pakistani lady . He openly boasts about being part of the pakistani establishment now and his house is guarded by security personnel . Another good point---the film does not shy away from admitting that a large part of the nation of pakistan supports terrorism and does take the usual bollywood hypocritical line that pakistan also equally suffers from terrorism as India . Women of good families are ready to marry terrorists like Omar and one scene has a character saying the Omar will become a hero for millions of muslims .

9/11 occurs ; the twin towers of the world trade centre of New York are shown falling , and Omar's name is linked to the plot . Pakistani authorities assure Omar that he will be put on trial in Pakistan only , but his wife is afraid for him .

The kidnapping and killing of American journalist Daniel Pearl is probably the highlight of the film and will interest westerners . Daniel is out in search of story on 9/11 , but asks too many questions and that too recklessly . The ISI wants him silenced before he publishes his story . And the man they turn to do it is Omar . Omar entices Daniel with the hope of getting him to meet some man named Geelani , but holds him hostage . Omar taunts Daniel for being a jew and his people killing muslims in Palestine and torturing pakistanis in Guantanamo bay prison . When Daniel tries to escape he is killed brutally with a knife by Omar himself . The killing is not shown as it is too brutal but the sound effects of the knife attacking the victim repeatedly give it's brutality away as does the blood spattered face of Omar at the end of the scene . Omar is currently in jail for this . But he is unrelenting ; smiles and waves to his followers whenever he is in front of cameras .

Rajkumar Rao has acted the role of Omar quite well . The movie does not show his upbringing at all . It moves at a quick pace with no songs and minimum fuss . Photography and background music is all good though the colours are little bleak due to the dark subject of the film . The film does not glorify Omar and hence is realistic .

Verdict---Good .

Four stars out of five .
Synecdoche, New York

I loved it so much, why have I never watched this before. I watched this movie twice, and I am going to watch it some more times atleast lol. 

IDK if it's even possible to write a review on this enigmatic but truthful movie, because, for several reasons -
1) It has a confusing plot, but still has much significance that touches your heart, you just *know* what's going on even if you may not make logical sense out of it. You get heavily personally invested in the movie, and in that process it becomes hard to verbalize for me.
2) It is metaphysical, has many visual tropes, and leaves much for interpretation - thus, what it means to me may not be the same for someone else.
3) It is like life.. has so much going on, and the harsh realities of life we are faced with from time to time. You can say so much about everything, but that's why you are speechless when you start doing so.

But I will make an attempt to do so :p  Beware of SPOILERS, and remember that this movie can be interpreted differently, for each one of us, differently at different points in our own lives.

On the face of it, this movie is about Caden, his failing health, his failed marriage and a complex love life, his separation from his daughter - whom he loves more than anything, death, and his art - his artistic ambition that doesn't really take off.

The time just slips, just like we all experience it - where did all those years just go? Time is a theme in this movie - it's first shot begins with time changing - 7.44 to 7.45, and also ends with the same time, 7.44 - 7.45. It is actually this indication, that made me rewatch the movie.

Health is another theme - health issues, and interactions with doctors, and also with other people when you complain about health. And, death, Caden owing to his health problems, and perhaps hypochondriac tendencies has realised the absurdity of life, the inevitability of death. You see him looking at news items related to death, magazine about some health issue, radio news about deaths, him looking at obituary - and it actually happened with me, you tend to see what's at the back of your mind, everywhere/anywhere :p

Speaking of which, the playact that Caden directs in the movie initially is Death of a Salesman. And there's a scene in the beginning where Caden tells his actor something like - forget that you're a young actor pretending to play an old man who has lived life full of despair about to die, but a young man who is inevitably going to be in that same position or... something along those lines. I think we get an idea of how he navigates his art.. i.e. art imitating life, and life imitating art - which is a BIG theme especially through the second half of the movie, so much so, at one point art and life merge into one another until we cannot tell them apart.. I loved the theme.

And this idea has a very symbolic meaning to all of us, who play these various roles or characters in our lives, we do put on a performance up to a certain level, and is it really a mask or a 'role'.. no, it's life..  There's a scene where Caden pulls out a eye liquid or maybe glycerine and puts a few drops in his eyes(could be because of his medical condition), but it has a deeper meaning that just that ofcourse.. I loved that scene.

And likewise, we keep looking for people who can play a certain role in our lives, it's really highlighted in that scene where Caden says "I don't want you to be happy" (don't remember words), to Hazel in the car scene... it is selfish, but it's also a part of who we are.. And it is obvious in Claire's marriage to Caden.

I loved the miscommunication dialogues.. and some dialogues or instances where some detail was WRONGLY mentioned/presented... like all those doctor-Caden interactions(those are representing the absurd reality), "Stool in your office", Hazel mentioning twins, the distress phone call answers 'ma'am' (is that supposed to be symbolic?), "are you Ellen" thing... I loved dialogues in the entire movie.

Which brings me to the biggest and very painful 'misunderstanding' - which is the scene Olive's death.. The scene building up to it was very emotional, it was tough to watch, and the hospital scene was heartbreaking.. and Olive's refusal to forgive ..  how Caden accepts his daughter's accusation if it means she can forgive him and be at peace.. 

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NANYiWjy04[/YOUTUBE]

...my review is looking so messy with any structure or direction, but I'll continue anyway

What does the fire in Hazel's house mean exactly - I can think of some meanings - like paving your own way to death/desperation for a family - home/how we live through miracles that somehow despite dangers surrounding us every moment of life, you die when you die -- but did the writer intend something, I'd really like to know.. the way the house-hunting scene ends witha dialogue "it's a big decision how one prefers to die" or something like that.. 

And the women in Caden's life.. Adele - the complete opposite of Caden.. Hazel - I think the comfort in Caden's life is Hazel, but I think it was the problem of 'timing' with her.. Claire - the replacement for Adele and Olive.

Which reminds me, there's a small miscommunication in the movie, where Caden meets Claire in the restaurent, and she asks "what do you want me to be", I think it clearly indicated in that scene the role of Claire in Caden's life.. 

The therapist's role was another enigma for me.. especially in that bit where she tells Caden about a self-help book - she doesnt even allow him to complete his sentences - I think it is reflective of therapists who are just playing a role of a therapists while they're just like everyone else.. and also her bruised feet.. and how she too picks up and reads the self-help book.

I loved that scene in the plane to Germany - where Caden's seen reading the self-help book and is seduced by therapist.. 

This for some reason, was so heartbreaking.. IDK the reason but it made me cry bad lol.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmnRdNUXH7g[/YOUTUBE]

^^the actress wasn't acting.. it's not acting.. I think everyone gets it.

What is SAMMY's role in this movie though.. I think he's just a subconscious projection of Caden or just that friend or someone who somehow seems like an extension of our self, we take a very less notice of them but their role is actually shocking. I'd like to go with him being a subconscious projection or a shadow side of Caden or just an actor who Caden sees his suppressed self in. And, it shocked me how Sammy the character is seen so many times onscreen and I never noticed him before his actual introduction! I realized this in my second viewing.. 

And then Ellen...  It is very intriguing because, Ellen is just a girl in that advert(that comes on TV when Adele leaves to Germany and Caden starts cleaning).. And then Ellen is also the name of Adele's maid.. I think "Ellen" is a role that Caden takes up to be useful to Adele, but then it speaks to his feminine side and probably helps him cope his anxiety/emotions(cleaning to feel better). Like I think there's both femininity and masculinity in every human, and perhaps Ellen represents or became a representation of Caden's hidden femininity or maybe let's chuck the fem/masculine out of the window, ...maybe Ellen - the character of Ellen(imaginary) - is just what brings peace to Caden.. The ending is all about showing how we are all one - all humans are one - whether that human is a real one or one from the arts -- we all experience things we watch and what we watch is a projection of another human, so we live in one another without directly living it. I think Ellen whether a real person or not, is a voice that helps Caden come to peace.. am I not watching movies because I am looking for something lol... orrr, it's about Caden finally going out of his head and listening to a voice other than the ones in his head..(he also stops directing in the theatre after Ellen swaps role with him).. I totally loved the ending scene, had me in tears.. just beautiful.

Before the end, when characters play characters on the sets, the screenplay and direction was so good, so intricate and delicate, just excellent.

I missed some things, and think I can go on without making much sense, but an amazing movie, loved everything about it. Love the character development as well, each character has their own trajectory. It is one of those movies that you have to watch multiple times, I mean, you are bound to miss a lot in first watch... and also watch this movie at different points in life.. I love how it is so honest, an enigma, and yet you get it in your own ways/range of perceptions.. I still have some questions about some things like the obscure painting on the wall, and want more clairty on many things but I'm happy with what I could take away for now and the mysteries :)  

Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 5 years ago
In Bruges

I loved it 😆 

IDK why I started watching it, but found it on some website and planned to watch just a half an hour but couldn't stop until I finished it :p

Has some really touchy moments, and even gut-wrenching moments, what an enjoyable movie all in all. Some dialogues really made me laugh. 

This black comedy is about two hitmen who are sent to a town after a 'job' goes wrong, they are sent to a town called Bruges. Younger hitman played by Colin Farrell, and older hitman by Brendon Gleeson.. I loved them both together - their comradeship , and Ken(Gleeson)'s selflessness was very shocking to me, especially considering the light-hearted tone of the movie up until that moment where he jumps to his death to alert Ray(Farrell), I was not expecting such an end to the characters.. it was sad.. Atleast they shouldn't have been killed :(

Is this a British movie? I have to find out, but anyway, the characters are Irish and English, and there are some Belgians... what I love about such movies (atleast as far as I've seen) with English characters is, you get to learn English, the dialogues in such movies are enjoyable :p  

I loved the humor in the entire movie.. there is some absurdity but I feel it is an innocent and honest representation of some mentalities. I loved all the conversations.

All of the good actors are in this movie, nice performances by all. Do I have to say anything about Farrell, Gleeson, Fiennes - they are simply a pleasure to watch. Even the lady who played Chloe was good, was charming. 

I should add something very important about this movie - the hitmen are like the hitmen(Jackson and Travolta) from Pulp Fiction - similar comradeship, but these hitmen are more genuine - just like anyone of us, and more earthy.. their job may require them to be cold-hearted, but they still have a heart and that is effectively portrayed in the movie.. That is the beauty of this movie.

S_H_Y thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

Z-Gen Zest

Edited by --L-- - 5 years ago
S_H_Y thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

Z-Gen Zest

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjqYpsuBrPU&app=desktop[/YOUTUBE]

Originally posted by: --L--

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjqYpsuBrPU&app=desktop[/YOUTUBE]

TFS, will watch later :)
The Case of Hana and Alice (Anime)

Loved it. It is kinda different from most anime - especially the animation and character-sketches. Characters are realistic - not the usual cutesy type of stuff, they are natural without trying too hard.. it felt like a real life characters.. their eyes, faces too, different from what we usually see in anime.. I enjoyed the animation especially when characters were walking, running.. and some swaaaying shots while characters dance :D

It has a nice pace and tone to it. There are some mundane scenes but I really like mundane stuff lol. I cannot explain but felt good.. Hana-Alice companionship, Alice-old man scenes,  Hana's story, their adventure or should I say misadventures, some scenes make you smile.. acha tha, you feel good by the end of the movie... my favorite quote "Don't say anything, I don't care if I'm deluding myself, I just want to lose myself in this happiness" .

Here are clippings from the anime

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToCykjSpucY[/YOUTUBE]