Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

deejagi thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 6 years ago
Guys I am not against web series but I love the books as printed version than kindle version. Just imagine how many people in print industry and support industry loose jobs if people stop buying books to save the rack space in their house. Yes it is worth while you are away from your library but not when you are in your place. This is also becomes like TRP. If there are limited readers, how do you expect writers to publish books. Every publisher expect the investment back with marginal profit. No one runs charity or social services.
 Again everyone are not fortunate to own tablet, and other gadgets. Many even in this era still depends on TV for their entertainment. So just because someone does watch serial on TV doesn't become less intellectual. 
simran_singh_24 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
I liked Avdhoot came back to compensate his father. How I miss the adorable villains.
If only Pujan was thereπŸ˜†

I don't know what's Anami's plan now. SHe's not going back as planned i guess.

Nice to see the writers trying to keep Adhi's Mom in the pic.May be we'll get to know how she died?

Spoiler says Vats will be back. This would've been a great twist if the show isn't ending in a week.πŸ˜•
Mangothyme thumbnail

Originally posted by: deejagi

Guys I am not against web series but I love the books as printed version than kindle version. Just imagine how many people in print industry and support industry loose jobs if people stop buying books to save the rack space in their house. Yes it is worth while you are away from your library but not when you are in your place. This is also becomes like TRP. If there are limited readers, how do you expect writers to publish books. Every publisher expect the investment back with marginal profit. No one runs charity or social services.

Again everyone are not fortunate to own tablet, and other gadgets. Many even in this era still depends on TV for their entertainment. So just because someone does watch serial on TV doesn't become less intellectual. 

There is nothing wrong in watching serial on TV. it is the absolute insistence on a system of TRP that few users taste decides and in this case looks like rural more than urban that is the subject of discussion here.  So I must watch at a particular time if my show is to stay on air. Well screw that. If the channel wants to operate on old fashioned ways, they can be stuck there.  I am from the US, so my taste does not matter but channel wants my money ? Well take a hike, starplus or anyone. I will take my toys in this case gadgets and watch Korean, Turkish, Paki, US shows. I will subscribe to channels that give good shows that are according to my taste and are available according to my time. I don't want to pirate, I want to pay. But I want good shows I am willing to pay for. The world is wide, I am not going to be held hostage by any channel just because a show I like is on it.

@Bold when I was a kid, there was a video rental company called Blockbuster. There was one practically every signal. I think each rental was $3.99 or $4.00. For every family I knew renting a video on a Friday for the latest release English movie was a ritual. But you have to return on time or else they had these fees like $3.00 a day I think. Their fine policy was terrible. People always paid so much in fines. There were not many choices in number of movies, you had to drive further if you wanted to rent the movie. But they could not do much as there was no choice. Then something happened. A small web company started that would send DVDs in the mail. You order online, they would send it in the mail. You finish it and pop it back in the mail. No fines. No late fees. No driving. This company did not stream anything then just sent DVDs in the mail. But this model decimated the video rental store Blockbuster. The biggest reason they went down was they were greedy for the fines. That little company that started small with just sending DVDs in the mail is the now powerful Netflix.

Amazon started as a small company exclusively selling books. When I was a kid again, there were bookstores like Borders and Barnes and Nobles. I love bookstores. I have happy memories of going for Harry Potter and Twilight books launch parties. Dressing up, standing in line for hours. But these books were expensive. Snooty store employees who won't help. Non availability of books. Amazon came and the books were cheaper, for $25 you had free shipping. This was way before Prime. People started buying books from them. Book stores closed. Borders closed and Barnes and Nobles is struggling. Now with Amazon I can send gifts to my relatives in Canada, UK, India just by going to the amazon website in that country and choosing stuff. The product is shipped locally. No paying shipping fees. That is an advantage for me. 

Do I feel guilty ? Absolutely not. Business evolves. I am going to pay for what I consider quality and each of us gets to define that. Just because huge corporations rack up price of a book I will not pay. I am going to pay for Kindle and audiobooks. An entire generation of kids one generation younger than me  is growing up on audio books. They use them to go to sleep, on car rides, as a background when they play. Books will be a part of their lives, just not paper books. 

Change is always there. From the industrial age people are losing jobs because of automation or technology. That is the way the world works. 

Edited by Mangothyme - 6 years ago
deejagi thumbnail
@ mangothyme: sorry I was talking about people who reside in India and not about those in the US. Here every kid is not fortunate to order books on Amazon. Many still depends on libraries to read books. Not everyone has gadgets but a common TV for the whole family.
Even I do buy things on Amazon but not entirely dependent on that. I still love to shop in a mall with my husband and daughter. That gives me a different kind of joy which online shopping doesn't give. Even today I buy at least 10 to 12 books a year. That gives the pleasure of being with the family when I hold the books and online reading is like video chats. That doesn't mean I hate the video chats but that should be limited and the proximity should increase.

Sorry if you don't agree but this is my ideology.
Mangothyme thumbnail

@ mangothyme: sorry I was talking about people who reside in India and not about those in the US. Here every kid is not fortunate to order books on Amazon. Many still depends on libraries to read books. Not everyone has gadgets but a common TV for the whole family.

Even I do buy things on Amazon but not entirely dependent on that. I still love to shop in a mall with my husband and daughter. That gives me a different kind of joy which online shopping doesn't give. Even today I buy at least 10 to 12 books a year. That gives the pleasure of being with the family when I hold the books and online reading is like video chats. That doesn't mean I hate the video chats but that should be limited and the proximity should increase.

Sorry if you don't agree but this is my ideology.

No problem. We shall agree to disagree. 

Here malls are disappearing because they charge a lot of money for clothes. I buy clothes, shoes, bags pretty much everything online. Even designer stuff is available for cheap if you know where to look. I just find cost online to be cheaper. I even order groceries online because it is cheaper. 

I love hunting bargains. The outfit Anami wanted in the serial for instance is Rs 500,000. That is $7000 plus for me. 😲 My jaw literally dropped when I thought someone would pay this much money for one outfit. It's not a question of can people afford it, but I think being frugal is good even if you can afford it. I know a lot of NRIs who get married, but take a trip to India to get dresses made by a tailor specifically because of cost. They copy designers. They make jewels in India. If I am to get married my parents would make a trip to India to get silk saris in bulk to give for gifts, even the wedding sari. Get jewels made. We are South Indian so no lehengas here.  That is what I am used to. If you can get something for cheaper, why pay more ? 

deejagi thumbnail

Originally posted by: Mangothyme

No problem. We shall agree to disagree. 

Here malls are disappearing because they charge a lot of money for clothes. I buy clothes, shoes, bags pretty much everything online. Even designer stuff is available for cheap if you know where to look. I just find cost online to be cheaper. I even order groceries online because it is cheaper. 

I love hunting bargains. The outfit Anami wanted in the serial for instance is Rs 500,000. That is $7000 plus for me. 😲 My jaw literally dropped when I thought someone would pay this much money for one outfit. It's not a question of can people afford it, but I think being frugal is good even if you can afford it. I know a lot of NRIs who get married, but take a trip to India to get dresses made by a tailor specifically because of cost. They copy designers. They make jewels in India. If I am to get married my parents would make a trip to India to get silk saris in bulk to give for gifts, even the wedding sari. Get jewels made. We are South Indian so no lehengas here.  That is what I am used to. If you can get something for cheaper, why pay more ? 

Certain things are to be felt before buying and wedding collection is one such thing. You do get sarees online but surely not as satisfactory as you buy choosing between hundreds and thousands. Even it's not just with books ama serial, it's about sharing family time. People will watch serial during dinner and analyze after that. During that they relate that to someone or some information which increases the bonding.
And books even today we fight among ourselves who will read first and once read, we will discuss the story as if it is our own life and fight, console etc. 

Mangothyme thumbnail

Certain things are to be felt before buying and wedding collection is one such thing. You do get sarees online but surely not as satisfactory as you buy choosing between hundreds and thousands. Even it's not just with books ama serial, it's about sharing family time. People will watch serial during dinner and analyze after that. During that they relate that to someone or some information which increases the bonding.
And books even today we fight among ourselves who will read first and once read, we will discuss the story as if it is our own life and fight, console etc. 

The thing is even in India if people know we are NRI they tend to hike up the price or show us only expensive stuff. And designer stuff, forget it. They just want you to pay for what I consider crap materials. A famous designer sells crepe saris not silk for around $700 plus online which is around Rs 50.000. For that money we have bought many pure silk saris. We go directly to the source  I don't think I will let my parents buy  a sari that is so expensive even for my wedding. .But I would like to go a place where a silk sari is actually made and buy from the weavers directly. I don't mind paying them the money because I consider them artists. 

We shared family time differently. I am older now and live away from my parents. But when we were growing up we did not watch TV, it was only American TV, no desi channels then or I am not sure if it was available in the US. We sat at the dining table and talked practicing our Tamil or we listened to Carnatic music while we ate with our hands. 😳. Sound very rigid but my parents wanted very much to pass Indian culture. 

As for the books I read now, my dad would consider them twaddle or nonsense. I have another board for that. But I think family time is very important.

Christie2017 thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posting very briefly. Rest later. I was wondering if Vats is coming back, was he saved by Guruji. I considered Narrottam, but not anymore. And, I think Dhaamo knows it. She had always gone to Guruji. And remember 1 epi, where she says time has come to repay the debts? Probably she will bring back Vats. And in the assassination bid, which if happens as Shruthi says, Vats will come to save his sister. The story Sat & Anami told Laddoo. 
Anami will decide to go back to Benaras, when Sat will stop her and that's when Anami will realise her mother's love. 
Thought came in my sleep, have work now. Will speak in leisure later. Cheers.
Minionite thumbnail

Originally posted by: Mangothyme

The thing is even in India if people know we are NRI they tend to hike up the price or show us only expensive stuff. And designer stuff, forget it. They just want you to pay for what I consider crap materials. A famous designer sells crepe saris not silk for around $700 plus online which is around Rs 50.000. For that money we have bought many pure silk saris. We go directly to the source  I don't think I will let my parents buy  a sari that is so expensive even for my wedding. .But I would like to go a place where a silk sari is actually made and buy from the weavers directly. I don't mind paying them the money because I consider them artists. 

We shared family time differently. I am older now and live away from my parents. But when we were growing up we did not watch TV, it was only American TV, no desi channels then or I am not sure if it was available in the US. We sat at the dining table and talked practicing our Tamil or we listened to Carnatic music while we ate with our hands. 😳. Sound very rigid but my parents wanted very much to pass Indian culture. 

As for the books I read now, my dad would consider them twaddle or nonsense. I have another board for that. But I think family time is very important.

I can relate here.

My mom is from India and she only moved to Canada after marriage. She raised us with pure Indian traditions and made it a point, especially when we were younger, to avoid purchasing certain things from here because of the cost.

For example, some of our family friends have children that are 10 years older than me and so they got married when I was a lot younger. At that time (almost 12 to 15 years ago) purchasing even a basic lehenga here would mean travelling a good 60 to 70 kms to Brampton and forking over $500 easily for something like what Parvati and Padma wore to the Yule Ball in HP4. For that same price, you could buy a dulhan's joda from a reputed tailor or even directly from source in India. So we would purchase Indian clothes like that when we were in India and then wear them to functions for the next 3 to 4 years.

Similarly when we were younger and we wanted to get CDs and cassettes for Indian music, we would buy in bulk in India because here you would end up paying a good $30 for an original and $2 for a pirated version that worked only once or twice. Those $2 could get you 2 original versions in India.

Deejagi I can also relate to your point. I buy a lot of stuff online mainly because I hate shopping, but some things become almost like a family outing for us. When I wanted to buy my graduation gown, we spent 4 hours roaming store after store and trying out a multitude of dresses before I settled on one. It wasn't that I couldn't purchase it online. In fact the one I bought was the one I had selected online as well. But it was an outing and a time together taking everyone's opinions into account. Or when we purchase air tickets, we still go to a travel agent because we've known the agent for a long time and he always gives us good prices even though we could probably find cheaper online. But to sometimes that relationship matters more than saving that $100 that you can save by not purchasing unnecessary stuff online for a few days.

We don't spend enough time together anymore even though we all live under the same roof still so we make use of these small moments to spend some time together. I do feel it depends family to family. For example, we don't watch TV together because I like thrillers, situational comedies, and thoughtful shows like this, but my parents likes situational comedies and historical shows more and my sister enjoys political thrillers. So it makes no sense for us to sit down together and watch shows that one of us won't enjoy. But we will go shopping together for things like graduation gowns or go out to lunch together to celebrate small wins or travel together though we won't get to do the things we want to do, etc.
Edited by Athene - 6 years ago
Mangothyme thumbnail

Originally posted by: Athene

I can relate here.

My mom is from India and she only moved to Canada after marriage. She raised us with pure Indian traditions and made it a point, especially when we were younger, to avoid purchasing certain things from here because of the cost.

For example, some of our family friends have children that are 10 years older than me and so they got married when I was a lot younger. At that time (almost 12 to 15 years ago) purchasing even a basic lehenga here would mean travelling a good 60 to 70 kms to Brampton and forking over $500 easily for something like what Parvati and Padma wore to the Yule Ball in HP4. For that same price, you could buy a dulhan's joda from a reputed tailor or even directly from source in India. So we would purchase Indian clothes like that when we were in India and then wear them to functions for the next 3 to 4 years.

Similarly when we were younger and we wanted to get CDs and cassettes for Indian music, we would buy in bulk in India because here you would end up paying a good $30 for an original and $2 for a pirated version that worked only once or twice. Those $2 could get you 2 original versions in India.

Deejagi I can also relate to your point. I buy a lot of stuff online mainly because I hate shopping, but some things become almost like a family outing for us. When I wanted to buy my graduation gown, we spent 4 hours roaming store after store and trying out a multitude of dresses before I settled on one. It wasn't that I couldn't purchase it online. In fact the one I bought was the one I had selected online as well. But it was an outing and a time together taking everyone's opinions into account. Or when we purchase air tickets, we still go to a travel agent because we've known the agent for a long time and he always gives us good prices even though we could probably find cheaper online. But to sometimes that relationship matters more than saving that $100 that you can save by not purchasing unnecessary stuff online for a few days.

We don't spend enough time together anymore even though we all live under the same roof still so we make use of these small moments to spend some time together. I do feel it depends family to family. For example, we don't watch TV together because I like thrillers, situational comedies, and thoughtful shows like this, but my parents likes situational comedies and historical shows more and my sister enjoys political thrillers. So it makes no sense for us to sit down together and watch shows that one of us won't enjoy. But we will go shopping together for things like graduation gowns or go out to lunch together to celebrate small wins or travel together though we won't get to do the things we want to do, etc.

Athene, thanks for the post. I thought we were the odd man out . 

Deejagi, it was not just cost when we were younger, it was availability too. Indian tailors were not common nor were Indian clothing stores. I remember my mom stitching several blouses of many colors to take back and we always had mom's friends  who would send a blouse as a measuring guide to stitch blouses for them in random colors that did not exactly match the shade of their saris but was in the color family. My mom finally learned how to stitch a sari blouse because we would not go for years and it was always not possible for others to bring back stitched blouses while they would be more willing to bring back material. Only cotton was available and mom knew one pattern.

Now if I want to order a sari blouse I go to a Indian website from the US, measure myself (they have charts for that) then choose from a size chart or they make it for me. I have access to beautiful designs and materials. I pay for it and they ship in a very reasonable time and money. If it does not fit exactly I know how to alter the blouse because mom taught me. No troubling relatives in India or people going on vacation to stitch blouses or bring back material. Same with salwars. I measure myself, order online and it is made somewhere in India without me ever going there. It's simply amazing to me given how much trouble we had when we were kids to get Indian clothes.

It's also gifts. Previously we could only send Birthday cards for a birthday. Diwali cards were not even there. Now we can order flowers, cake, mittai, dry fruits, teddy bears, chocolates and get it delivered on the birthday or festivals or some occasion just sitting here and they deliver in India. They send gifts through Amazon  US.  I cannot tell you in words how much of an impact it has had in family relationships because of these simple gestures in my generation. 

There are even jewelry showrooms that let you shop through video chat. I just know my connection to India has improved than when I was a kid and during my parents generation because of technology and online shopping.