Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sherlockthor thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago

I seriously do carry a knife with me.. a sharp one.. Coz I live alone and work late and I don't have vehicle.. so I either travel by bus/auto..
I cannot take chances
zehreeli.kheer thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: Pemberleydreams

Here bus me itni vir hoti h in office time you can't even stand properly choosing where to stand bahut door ki bat hai

Bheer tou kher yahan bhi bohut hoti hai.. But I hardly ever  climb on buses that are too crowded that I would be required to stand close to the men.. Mein wait kar leti hoon.. Adhe ghante mein usually ajati hai doosri bus.. Agar utni hi bhari hoti hai, I take rikshas lekin aisa kam hi face kia hai mein ne k dono buses full hon.. Unless of course there is strike of some sort
roni_berna thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
There is a difference between giving an advise and blaming the girl. Nowadays, it's not safe to go anywhere where there are group of boys. In fact, group of boys aren't even allowed in some pubs nowadays. I myself don't enter an auto rickshaw or even bus where there are only males. That's a precaution and if one can't find another auto rickshaw, it's better to wait for another one or take someone with you. But well, it depends on the circumstances too as today's men are jerks and creeps. It's better if girls are allowed to carry some kind of weapon to protect herself but then comes an argument that it will be misused. In short, nothing can be done except keeping a watch all the time. 
Precautions are many but there is no solution. The best solution is stop hiring men as auto ricksaw/cab drivers and women drivers shouldn't allow male passengers inside. Men can find their own way out as they always do.

Feel so bad for the girl. The criminals will probably come out within 7 years and then again get hired. This is our justice system :(
Petal_Pose thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: theeki.mithai

And till the time they learn about consent and the strict punishment law is implemented, do what? Another grim reality is that strict punishment laws would take long, very long.. Tab tak kia karein woh bata do, I will throw caution to the wind and do whatever you advice.. Jab tak rapists learn their lesson, what should I do to at least reduce the chances of me being their next target?

if u feel some preventive measure work for u.I am glad that you are safe and u feel they are working,  still, u cannot expect that to reduce to chance of being the next target for someone else or even lessening it either. U don't know what circumstance each woman will be.Precaution does nothing and I just find it very insensitive when people etc..are like the woman should have gotten into to the taxi knowing men where there, that I feel is actually is a mocking a grave issue like rape.

Edited by Mrs.Peanuts - 6 years ago
Mira25 thumbnail
This is shocking. Appalled at the level of a person's 'empathy'. Unsolicited advice to a rape survivor. 

Isn't it a light take on matter of grave concern? If she resorted to victim blaming how she is going to make Chandigarh a safer place for women? 

What the victim is supposed to have done? Stranded on street, getting desperate as the time passes when there is no public transport in sight? 

It's a slap on the face of every woman who struggles to make a life for themselves. Does she mean to say it is birthright of men to rape a woman if she shares a cab with 3 men? 

Such statements show the demoralising mentality demeaning every woman who risks going out there for mere existence. Victims of sexual abuse find it hard to come forward because of the fear that the society may blame the victim that she shouldn't have been out at a certain time or at a certain location. 
zehreeli.kheer thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: Mrs.Peanuts

if u feel some preventive measure work for u.I am glad that you are safe and u feel they are working,  still, u cannot expect that to reduce to chance of being the next target for someone else or even lessening it either. U don't know what circumstance each woman will be.Precaution does nothing and I just find it very insensitive when people etc..are like the woman should have gotten into to the taxi knowing men where there, that I feel is actually is a mocking a grave issue like rape.

Of you read what I have written so gar, i have clearly stated that the measures are mo way fool proof.. they do however give me some peace of mind that i am doing whatever it is in my power to save myself.. of course circumstances are different.. A doctor was raped in her on call room.. she had locked the door which was brokem down... it was big news here years ago.. Sje could do nothing.. But does that mean i am going to sleep with my door unlocked bdcause jey the prson can very well break it down and it is unsafe anyways? no.. i will still try to do to protect myself
And I have said I agree with her advice that girls shouldnt climb in duch cabs.. thats bevause I agree with the precaution.. However, she is not to be blamed for the horror inflicted on hef because she did not do do.. I agreed with the advice in general.. O did not think she was blaling tje victim but when Pro ling dxplained  why ppl had problem with that advice I agreed with her too.. Tje advice is right for me.. the timing and the person is debateable
Chandigarh is considered as one of safest cities in country.  So many times we had night out with female friends  never ever we faced any problem.  Because there is police everywhere n so many rules.  It was considered one of best places for women.  So it's just shocking 
angrybread thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Next what ...we should stop going into a train full of strangers or a bus full of strangers men or a plane full of them  What are they men or animals that we need to me afraid of them all the time . A person with authority to change the laws and implement the lwas doesn't look good giving these advises , they only suit on family members and friends .
Someone who is taking auto daily gets used to it and wouldn't know that one day people sitting in that auto ( who probably looked ok at 1at glance ) would turn out to be animals ðŸ¤¢ why just 3 , even one is enough so should we stop taking taxi, auto or any public transport .
aurora-borealis thumbnail
It's devastating to read the responses here of everyone's personal experience with public transport. I can relate on so many levels...I live in the so called "progressive' country of the world and I still feel a sense of uneasiness anytime I travel via public transport. Anytime I am out at night by myself I make sure to take pepper spray with me and I have to make sure my phone is fully charged. As women it's ingrained in our mind to always be wary of our surroundings, and take all the safety precautions necessary because there is never a situation where we can truthfully say we feel 100% safe and comfortable. Can you imagine constantly living in fear and paranoia your whole life? Will this ever change? Why is the concept of consent hard to grasp, why is it difficult to respect women for the human beings they are, rather than sexual objects for your viewing pleasure?

So it makes it even more disappointing when you have politicians like Kirron Kher, who are appointed to bring about change and use their voice to change the dialogue, resort to giving advice on what women should be doing when the focus should be on how can we make women feel safer in their own communities, how we should teach men from a young age to respect women. Her passive statement ignores the actual issue at hand and pretty much says, men have urges and the tendency to act upon their urges and we should basically accept it since it can't be changed. 
Mira25 thumbnail
Even as an increasing number of violent crimes against women, especially rape, continue to be reported across the country our esteemed parliamentarians are busy discussing the next course of action over a controversial movie when there is censor board and court to deal with it. Sad state of affairs.