Users

Frequent Posters

K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago

Originally posted by: lizzy84

Recently in India the government amended 
The  paid maternity leave law.  
They increased the period from 12 weeks to 26 weeks. 
Because of this ,
I m hearing more of 'oh well women now have another reason to leech off '
It's atrocious and degrading! 
I m appalled,  when I here such stuff and mind you it comes from 'educated' strata .

Let's see if you can answer this question unemotionally: if an organization can do without an employee for 26 weeks, that the work done by this employee can be delegated to another person or persons during this employee's absence, why would that organization need this employee back? I mean, if they can survive without this employee for 6 months, then by mathematical induction they can survive for 7 months, 8 months, ...and so on, right? Isn't that what bootstrapping is all about?
lizzy84 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: K.Universe.

Let's see if you can answer this question unemotionally: if an organization can do without an employee for 26 weeks, that the work done by this employee can be delegated to another person or persons during this employee's absence, why would that organization need this employee back? I mean, if they can survive without this employee for 6 months, then by mathematical induction they can survive for 7 months, 8 months, ...and so on, right? Isn't that what bootstrapping is all about?

How I knew  that you were going to target that :p
Anyway , 
Putting it bluntly 
Why women are the ones who have to pay career price for motherhood? 

Is having a child a  luxury for a working woman?
Children are the pillars of the next generation, 
Economically , we need people to pay for our pensions through taxes in future.
I guess paid maternity leaves balances that aspect.
It is compensatory.  
The so called' liability ' of the company is actually adding a greater asset to the society and in general. 
Why will the company let go of a dedicated EE? 
The  organisations  are way beyond the profit motives. 

Edited by lizzy84 - 7 years ago
K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
^^ All I know is, if my coworker goes off for 6 months on a paid leave, and my boss dumps her work on me, I will be mighty pissed!
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

^^ All I know is, if my coworker goes off for 6 months on a paid leave, and my boss dumps her work on me, I will be mighty pissed!

You do the same.. find a guy and then go on a 6 month leave dumping your stuff on the next person.. helping out in turns is useful...
lizzy84 thumbnail

One has to speak up. 
Clear the air around the responsibilities which will be dumped on you.  
Sit with the immediate  boss and HR to discuss  in length:-
Additional responsibilities  = What  benefits' I' will get?
Asking them straightforwardly will work. 
Nobody is  a martyr .
The company will definitely not make an employee work extra without any additional benefits. 

_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Its getting easier to understand why some of the 'developed nations' went into negative population growth. The full impact of a refugee workforce remains to be seen.
Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

How I knew  that you were going to target that :p
Anyway , 
Putting it bluntly 
Why women are the ones who have to pay career price for motherhood? 

Is having a child a  luxury for a working woman?
Children are the pillars of the next generation, 
Economically , we need people to pay for our pensions through taxes in future.
I guess paid maternity leaves balances that aspect.
It is compensatory.  
The so called' liability ' of the company is actually adding a greater asset to the society and in general. 
Why will the company let go of a dedicated EE? 
The  organisations  are way beyond the profit motives. 

That's a very important thing you mentioned there, Lizzy :)

I think the 'burden' of work being delegated to other workers shouldn't be the reason for not employing a woman.. 

If we speak of that, then, I guess we need to first look at our responsibility to the organisation, and like Lizzy pointed out, discuss with the HR about division of work :) 

As a society, we need to work together in this! :D It's not about 'women' or 'men' being equally responsible for parenting either, here, procreation is adding to the society, by employing women, knowing that they may need a maternity leave, we are not just paying her for her economic independence, but also, are ensuring a healthy pregnancy, thus securing our posterity :) 

Lizzy, you are making it feel like DM is alive again! 😃Welcome back!! :)
Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 7 years ago
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Angel-likeDevil

As a society, we need to work together in this! :D It's not about 'women' or 'men' being equally responsible for parenting either, here, procreation is adding to the society, by employing women, knowing that they may need a maternity leave, we are not just paying her for her economic independence, but also, are ensuring a healthy pregnancy, thus securing our posterity :) 

Well said ALD .  Not everything can be measured in terms of immediate money. 😆 Taking a short term view would miss out the long term gains .
lizzy84 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Angel-likeDevil

That's a very important thing you mentioned there, Lizzy :)

I think the 'burden' of work being delegated to other workers shouldn't be the reason for not employing a woman.. 

If we speak of that, then, I guess we need to first look at our responsibility to the organisation, and like Lizzy pointed out, discuss with the HR about division of work :) 

Lizzy, you are making it feel like DM is alive again! 😃Welcome back!! :)

Angel, thank you for adding that. 
We  need to combat these issues unanimously. 

PS -I missed DM too much:p
      Had to turn back and return to this 'Mansion'. 

lizzy84 thumbnail

Originally posted by: _Angie_

Its getting easier to understand why some of the 'developed nations' went into negative population growth. The full impact of a refugee workforce remains to be seen.

Valid point. 
Negative population growth goes hand in hand with serious repercussions .

For refugee workforces  ,
 I m afraid there would a problem of 'lost decade'

Sorry for digressing there.