Karna: greatest yet most unfortunate warrior (VB note)

Posted: 7 years ago
If someone asks who is the greatest warrior in Mahabharat yudh, i get confused between Bhishma & Karna (and probably Ghatothkach too)
I don't consider Pandavas capable of winning the war without Krishna's cheatings (oops i mean help πŸ˜›πŸ˜†)
Coming to Karna (what this show is all about)...if anyone thinks Arjun was more powerful than Karna, then I have some questions for u..

1) Why was kawach & kundal taken away from Karan (which were part of his body)?
2) Why Krishna had to sink Arjun's rath underground in order to protect Arjun from Karna's nag astra?
3) Why was Ghatothkacha made bali ka bakra to protect Arjun from that Indra astra?

4) PLUS inspite of ALL the planning and plottings, inspite of making Karna waste his powerful weapons and bodily shields, in the end why did Arjun had to kill him when he was weaponless and on the ground taking out his wheel of rath? (though even in that position he cud not b killed if his guru had not cursed him)...why not beat him fair and square and prove he is better than him as he claimed??

The very famous incident in Mahabharat yudh, which even books mentions and they showed it too here was Krishna praising Karna for slighting moving his rath which had bajrang bali and Krishna himself with load of the universe...wasn't that enough to prove Karna's superiority?...could Arjun even stay in the war for so long had bajrang bali not beeen protecting his rath and Krishna not been saving his ass? i really doubt it...

PS: besides being the rightful owner of the crown, Karna was also capable of killing the other 4 Pandavas (including Bheem)...Krishna even offered Karna throne but he refused due to his friendship with Duryodhan

PPS: I dont want to hear what happened before Mahabharat yudh and 1000 other stories (every book and every show have their own stories)...so only talking about this 18 days final yudh.

Viewbie note: While the above is a legit opinion, casting aspersions on Shri Krishna is a double edged sword.  On one hand, he is one of the active participants in the story, and therefore commentary on him and his role is unavoidable.  On the other, since he is divine, negative commentary on him  is tricky.

That said, since he is divine, please be more diplomatic in how you describe his role.  Calling it 'cheatings' (sic) is more likely than not to rile emotions in people devoted to him.  It is okay to disagree w/ what he did and his role, but be mindful that he is a god and worshiped by many.
Hello.. I'm new here.. I had seen few initial episodes on Sony karna and was so devastated that I came to this forum only when I got so happy hearing about this show's end.

I'm a huge huge Karna fan but I'd like to politely disagree with you.
See, the thing is Arjun was the greatest archer at that time. No doubt, he didn't have to cut his thumb or was turned down by anyone. If caste system was not so prevalent at that time, his position would have been more debatable. But despite the fact that karna was parshuram student, Arjun had a great competitor and he won the final battle.

Also, over the years, a lot of things from the epic has been altered. Sony karna being the worst of them. Karna was not the greatest.  Come on.

Mahabharata is not so straight forward like it is being portrayed these days. Almost every one died unfairly. Because they all belonged to the same family and were more or less of equal valor. If such means were not used, I bet none of the characters would die and the war would go on till eternity.

For Karna, I love this character for his extremely different personalities in a same man. It's closest to our times. You feel so many emotions for the one person. Pain for being left out by his own mother, ridiculed by everyone for being a soot, cursed for not breaking his teacher's sleep.

Let's not forget, Karna had his own share of sinful deeds. He did some really vile things. And that makes you Hate him also. He was indeed consumed with the idea of defeating Arjun, probably because he saw that as an ultimate idea of being accepted. That because arjun is so celebrated and if I defeated him, I'll get my due respect.

His friendship with Duryodhan is like a double edged sword. You can applaud karna for keeping up his friendship or debts, till the end. That's some fierce loyalty in there. At the same time, he needed to take his friend on the right path. His words for draupadi are despicable. At the same time, his charitability stands out.

Hence, over the years this character took the lime light for being so grey and baffling. But he was not the greatest warrior. Come on. He was defeated a lot of times. He might have also won a lot of times. But he is more known for his loyalty, friendship and charitability.

And because of these qualities, he was ultimately send to the heaven. I think over the years, karna got his due recognition from people of modern times, but frankly, they are white washing him now. He had flaws, charitable heart, fierceness, glow and giving streak of his father, a lot of pain in his heart, anger, jealousy, revenge streak ( draupadi event), evil deeds, loyalty and a fighting spirit. He doesn't need to be glorified like what they are doing in Sony show. He was a dicy character. And that's the beauty of it. Dicy just like humans. We care for our frenz and sometimes we get so blind that we are fine with whatever they do. We hate the ones who hurt our prides. So much that we would go notches ahead to hurt them more. It's very much around us everyday, hence Karna became more relatable for today's generation. But this is pure white washing what's happening in latest renditions.

I'm not a huge fan of Arjun but we can't take the glory away from him. He worked hard and had earned it. πŸ˜Š
Edited by Moony87 - 7 years ago
Originally posted by Moony87

Hello.. I'm new here.. I had seen few initial episodes on Sony karna and was so devastated that I came to this forum only when I got so happy hearing about this show's end.

I'm a huge huge Karna fan but I'd like to politely disagree with you.
See, the thing is Arjun was the greatest archer at that time. No doubt, he didn't have to cut his thumb or was turned down by anyone. If caste system was not so prevalent at that time, his position would have been more debatable. But despite the fact that karna was parshuram student, Arjun had a great competitor and he won the final battle.

Also, over the years, a lot of things from the epic has been altered. Sony karna being the worst of them. Karna was not the greatest. Come on.

Mahabharata is not so straight forward like it is being portrayed these days. Almost every one died unfairly. Because they all belonged to the same family and were more or less of equal valor. If such means were not used, I bet none of the characters would die and the war would go on till eternity.

For Karna, I love this character for his extremely different personalities in a same man. It's closest to our times. You feel so many emotions for the one person. Pain for being left out by his own mother, ridiculed by everyone for being a soot, cursed for not breaking his teacher's sleep.

Let's not forget, Karna had his own share of sinful deeds. He did some really vile things. And that makes you Hate him also. He was indeed consumed with the idea of defeating Arjun, probably because he saw that as an ultimate idea of being accepted. That because arjun is so celebrated and if I defeated him, I'll get my due respect.

His friendship with Duryodhan is like a double edged sword. You can applaud karna for keeping up his friendship or debts, till the end. That's some fierce loyalty in there. At the same time, he needed to take his friend on the right path. His words for draupadi are despicable. At the same time, his charitability stands out.

Hence, over the years this character took the lime light for being so grey and baffling. But he was not the greatest warrior. Come on. He was defeated a lot of times. He might have also won a lot of times. But he is more known for his loyalty, friendship and charitability.

And because of these qualities, he was ultimately send to the heaven. I think over the years, karna got his due recognition from people of modern times, but frankly, they are white washing him now. He had flaws, charitable heart, fierceness, glow and giving streak of his father, a lot of pain in his heart, anger, jealousy, revenge streak ( draupadi event), evil deeds, loyalty and a fighting spirit. He doesn't need to be glorified like what they are doing in Sony show. He was a dicy character. And that's the beauty of it. Dicy just like humans. We care for our frenz and sometimes we get so blind that we are fine with whatever they do. We hate the ones who hurt our prides. So much that we would go notches ahead to hurt them more. It's very much around us everyday, hence Karna became more relatable for today's generation. But this is pure white washing what's happening in latest renditions.

I'm not a huge fan of Arjun but we can't take the glory away from him. He worked hard and had earned it.😊

bang on
well said
agree with most of the points

welcome to the forum.
have a great time
enjoy farewell of this distorted sidt show ..
Originally posted by vinnas

bang on
well said
agree with most of the points

welcome to the forum.
have a great time
enjoy farewell of this distorted sidt show ..

Thanks.. Actually I was so excited to see this show when it's promo came, because.. Okay I wanted to see karna.. This Character grows on me.. Might not be with everyone, but with me it is this way.. It grows on me.. He does some bad work and you'll be like okay that's pathetic.. Then he'll do something totally different and you'll be in a fix.. Okay he is not so bad.. He just keeps me on an edge.. But few episodes and I was like.. Okay this is mass image creation they are doing.. He was no saint.. He was just not a complete evil.. His character appeals because had he not been abandoned by kunti.. His fate could have been so different and his valor would have been magnanimous. These are just wishes.. So many speculations you can build around this character and that's why so many many stories came up on him.. But this show is insane😑
hii moony87 nice to meet you

my name is chandu

yes watver you listed is perfect at least in my mind .karn was a spl character which has flaws nd goodness which I heard about his loyalty to dury nd as a great donor ..the spl qualities of him made interest to compel to watch this show .but wat we get is not the karn in epic or not in a fanfic .he was sidt putra the ultimate saint of the era who wants parivartan altime n cries for more time like a desibahu .. totally disgusting to watch this pathetic show ..

but by this show and by this forum I'm turned to the heartcore admirer of arjun . credit to the actor who played arjun (navi ) and my fellow members of this forum ..

I wish you too join here to know more facts and details.

hii moony87 nice to meet you

my name is chandu

yes watver you listed is perfect at least in my mind .karn was a spl character which has flaws nd goodness which I heard about his loyalty to dury nd as a great donor ..the spl qualities of him made interest to compel to watch this show .but wat we get is not the karn in epic or not in a fanfic .he was sidt putra the ultimate saint of the era who wants parivartan altime n cries for more time like a desibahu .. totally disgusting to watch this pathetic show ..

but by this show and by this forum I'm turned to the heartcore admirer of arjun . credit to the actor who played arjun (navi ) and my fellow members of this forum ..

I wish you too join here to know more facts and details.

Hey Chandu, nice to meet you too.. Myself Chandni.
Yeah Arjun was indeed a great character too. The thing is majority of people these days try to see themselves in Karna. I guess everyone of us must have felt jealous of the topper of the class once in our lifetime. :P .. Current times actually are trying to cash on the psychology of the general public. In this competitive times, karna for them is the under dog who could have won, who could have lived, and lived with his family. They see their own struggles in him. But you can't just see his struggles. You have to see his crimes. Again a realistic streak I would say. Struggles make you bitter and at every opportunity you vent out venom. But you can't just dust those things under the carpet. A lot of people and TV makers are doing that.

He earned his respect due to charity and loyalty. He needs to be hated for his crimes as well. His death is justified. His destiny might not be. You can lament over his bad luck. You can wish how things would be if he had the guidance of Krishna since beginning. But you can't just paint him Rosy like he is the only true hero.

I like Arjun.. But he is the ultimate hero.. Hehehehe.. Sab accchha accchha hai usmein except for few points regarding draupadi again. He also suffered a bit of pride regarding his archery but who didn't at that time. Every character boasted of some or the other quality :P

Star bharat was also too distorted but karna portions were handled still better. This serial is totally atrocious to eyes. Yeah sure, I'll go through other posts as well.. :)
Originally posted by Moony87

Hey Chandu, nice to meet you too.. Myself Chandni.
Yeah Arjun was indeed a great character too. The thing is majority of people these days try to see themselves in Karna. I guess everyone of us must have felt jealous of the topper of the class once in our lifetime. :P .. Current times actually are trying to cash on the psychology of the general public. In this competitive times, karna for them is the under dog who could have won, who could have lived, and lived with his family. They see their own struggles in him. But you can't just see his struggles. You have to see his crimes. Again a realistic streak I would say. Struggles make you bitter and at every opportunity you vent out venom. But you can't just dust those things under the carpet. A lot of people and TV makers are doing that.

He earned his respect due to charity and loyalty. He needs to be hated for his crimes as well. His death is justified. His destiny might not be. You can lament over his bad luck. You can wish how things would be if he had the guidance of Krishna since beginning. But you can't just paint him Rosy like he is the only true hero.

I like Arjun.. But he is the ultimate hero.. Hehehehe.. Sab accchha accchha hai usmein except for few points regarding draupadi again. He also suffered a bit of pride regarding his archery but who didn't at that time. Every character boasted of some or the other quality :P

Star bharat was also too distorted but karna portions were handled still better. This serial is totally atrocious to eyes. Yeah sure, I'll go through other posts as well.. :)
he he similarity in our names and thoughts. you expressed wat I felt too regarding karn .. im tired to see so many arguments on him .so many defending him as so many looks themself in him ..though his character still interesting.

to know more about arjun please visit arjun /navi AT and the posts which posted by iteldevera (Lakshmi) you may know more info on arjun and facts about epic according to Sanskrit versions .if you interested .

very good to see having similar thoughts like me here
good night chandni
hope to see you again soon

nice chatting with you
catch you later

have a happy time

he he similarity in our names and thoughts. you expressed wat I felt too regarding karn .. im tired to see so many arguments on him .so many defending him as so many looks themself in him ..though his character still interesting.

to know more about arjun please visit arjun /navi AT and the posts which posted by iteldevera (Lakshmi) you may know more info on arjun and facts about epic according to Sanskrit versions .if you interested .

very good to see having similar thoughts like me here

Hehe. yeah. simliarity in our names and thoughts. :) .. Karna doesn't need to be defended .. He can be discussed for hours :P .. but can't be defended.. It's just I have seen people loving him to the core that they justified everything and hating him to the core to the point that they even questioned his good points. It's sad for me at least. I feel for this character a lot. Arjun is amazing ⭐️⭐️. The ultimate hero of this saga.  And Lakshmi's posts are also πŸ‘ .. It's just I am not a fan of Navi. Apologies.. He doesn't click with me. I saw his few scenes and he doesn't look like Arjun. Actually, no one in this show had the caliber to pull off any of the iconic characters. They all look bad. Specially that actor who plays Krishna. He is annoying as hell. I am still stuck on BRC actors, they were perfect. The Star bharat came closer. Shaheer, who played Arjun, has really expressive eyes. The Krishna and Karna over there were perfect. The actors who portrayed these three characters had wonderful chemistry. The actors in this show look BAD.