•  
Posted: 8 years ago

Prinal Oberoi: I am jealous of Ankita'

Gayatri Kolwankar,TNN | Nov 16, 2015, 12.36 PM IST | TV Celebs
inShare
More
A
A
READ MORE Siddharth Nigam|Prinal Oberoi|Colors|Chakravartin Ashoka Samrat|Ankita Sharma
Prinal Oberoi: I am jealous ofAnkita'
Prinal Oberoi aka 'Charumitra' of Contiloe Picture's magnum opus, 'Chakravartin AshokaSamrat', on Colors is visibly excited with the popularity her character is gaining among the viewers. The light-eyed beauty talked about comparison with her screen idol Rani Mukherjee, how 'Charumitra' changed her life and why she is jealous of best friend and co-star, Ankita Sharma in an exclusive chat session withTV Times:

How does it feel to be tagged as 'Rani Mukherjee' of small screen'?
I feel happy that I am compared with such a great actress. She is beautiful as well as talented, and has given award-winning performances. I feel honored to be compared with my screen idol.

READ: 'Chakravartin Ashoka Samrat' hits double century.

How difficult or easy it was to essay 'Charumitra' in the show?
The only brief I got for 'Charumitra' that I had to play a mother to a teenager. After playing young, vivacious roles in my previous TV shows, I was apprehensive about playing a mother. I agreed after a lot of persuasion from the casting and creative team. I had never tried any historical drama before. It took me 3 months to fully understand the true persona of 'Charumitra'. 'Ashoka' has many negative characters. To make 'Charumitra' stand out among them was a huge task for me. She is a 'one-man army' who only believes in herself. Our director, Prasad Gavandi, helped me immensely in getting the right nuances of this wicked queen.

Tell us about the efforts you have taken in creating 'Charumitra'?
I keep experimenting with looks. Since the show has started, I must have made more than 100 hairstyles. I make it a point not to repeat any of them. I have also tried various patterns of 'Maang Tika' (jewellery worn on forehead). Viewers are also following my eye make-up. As an actor, it's my duty to enhance the character and I am thrilled to see viewers appreciating my efforts.

Do you think it's easy to live a Queen's life?
Not at all! It must have been so difficult to maintain a place in your husband's heart among other queens and fight for your rights. I would have run away, if placed in such a situation.

Who is your favourite 'Queen' in the show?
My favourite is 'Queen Noor' played by my dear friend, Ankita Sharma. She is sweet, a good friend and fun to work with. I am jealous of her as she gets to romance different men in the show (laughs). 'Noor' is the luckiest queen.

TFS! I am so impressed with Prinal Oberoi. I only saw her in Pyar Ka Daard as Kaira and loved her in it. But never thought she would rock like this as a negative character and a Mother to a teen as well! But she is superb! Just love the way she delivers her lines and how she carries herself as Maharani Charumithra. She is right, it is tough being a Queen. 

I think we see in the first few scenes how she seemed like a regular girl with a little baby. Then there is talk of Bindusara marrying Noor and she gets insecure. Then the play for the throne by Justin and Helena while Bindusara is missing really makes her realise how vulnerable she and her little child are. That was her turning point and she became the woman she is now! One of the characters I enjoy most watching on CAS even though she is evil. I hope they maintain the layers of her character and don't turn her into an evil caricature which a lot of shows do with negative characters! She is right about Noor. She gets so many hot boyfriends on the show, and Charu only gets to hang with Kalatak! Lol
Edited by MrDarcyfan - 8 years ago
 I think Prinal has done a bang up job as the Maharani Charumitra. Charu knows what she wants and goes after it guns blazing and to hell with whoever gets in her way. She loves her son but she constantly compares him with his brothers and erodes his self-esteem.In fact she does a much better job of strategizing than Sushim and has a cool head.In her secret heart she feels that she can do a better job than either her dumb husband or hot-headed son.And for all her faults she loves her husband and son sincerely.

I love Prinal's outfits and jewellery.Her outfits are true to the period (unlike Dharma's) and the eye make up and tattoos give her a distinct edge.Very much the Voodoo Queen.