I made Karisma Kapoor who she is today: JUHI CHAWLA

Thrasher thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 8 years ago

Recently, we got a chance to have a candid conversation with the 90's reigning actress Juhi Chawla who recently completed 25 years in the Hindi film industry. Even after two and half decades of delivering some of the biggest hits and working with huge names from the industry, Juhi shines with positivity and cheerfulness which is so contagious that it could certainly brighten up the room.

Juhi gets nostalgic retrieving some of her cherished memories and talks about her upcoming project, Chalk N Duster where she plays a teacher. Here is what she said...

25 wonderful years in Bollywood:
As a little girl, I would have never have imagined that I would be a movie star. I don't think I'd ever dared to dream of it. Yet life gave me such extra ordinary chances. I got offered Sultanat. I just took the plunge with the film. Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak (QSQT) a film that nobody around us expected to do well, went on to become a blockbuster hit and gave me that anchoring in this industry. In the beginning I wouldn't think I'd last 20 weeks. Here I am 25 years later.

Maintaining stardom:
After QSQT, I slowly started getting work. I became so big that I became stupid. One is to make it, other is to maintain it. That's the more difficult part. Initially, you take up everything as you have nothing to lose but once you reach a position, you start making these calculations where you think you know it all.

Losing out on films which became huge hits:
I didn't do Dil To Pagal Hai as I had just done Darr so I wanted a solo film. I didn't want to be with Madhuri (Dixit) as I didn't want to be compared. Dil To Pagal Hai became a hit. I was then approached by the director of Lootere for Raja Hindustani but I said I had no time. The film again went on to become a huge hit. So I made Karisma Kapoor who she is today. Sometime when you meet her, tell her so she thanks me (chuckles).

'Gulaab Gang' for which she received Dadasaheb Phalke award:
I thought that Gulaab Gang really packed a punch. It was quite a package with Madhuri and me and there were lots of fantastic dialogues. I felt after a long time there was a film with so many memorable lines. The screenplay too was interesting and unpredictable. I felt it should have done much better.

Upcoming film 'Chalk N Duster':
We just finished the shooting. I really liked the script when I heard it. The story revolves around a couple of teachers. It's about the business of schools and education and yet it's a personalized story. We don't think of teachers as people as for us, they are just people who give us homework and scolding when it isn't done. In Chalk N Duster, you'll see them as real people. It will make you applaud for them.

Rishi Kapoor's special appearance in 'Chalk N Duster':
Shabanaji (Azmi) met with Chintuji (Rishi Kapoor) as we needed a star personality for the climax of the film. He didn't accept anything for this. Although it was a lot of work with two whole days of shooting with several dialogues, he did it out of the goodness of his heart.

Working with Shah Rukh Khan and Aamir Khan:
We all started working in the industry at the same time. Nobody was in awe of each other. So you could be friendly, rag each other, laugh and cry with each. Both of them have different personalities but are extremely intelligent and talented. Aamir is little more serious about his work whereas Shah Rukh is all over the place doing 200 things at the same time and doing each one of it brilliantly.

Plans for Diwali:
During Diwali, you have to be at home. As they say, Laxmi ghar aa rahi hai. Agar Laxmi ghar aa rahi hai aur aap hotel mein spa mein baithein ho, toh Laxmi ko kaisa lage ga? We will be visiting our grandparent's place in Uganda.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

.Bongsookie. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Karishma be like:

😆
swati82 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I hope Juhi does some more mainstream work. I'd love to see her with SRK again!! 
Talcum thumbnail

Originally posted by: swati82

I hope Juhi does some more mainstream work. I'd love to see her with SRK again!!

Hope this happens. I love SRK-Juhi together 😳
Talcum thumbnail
Though I love Juhi, but thank God she refused to do the mentioned films.Karishma was perfect for those roles. 😳
Who is Karishma Kapoor today? 
she is repeating herself she said this few years as well. considering karisma doesnt give two f**ks about bollywood anymoew Juhi just comes across pressed. lmao let it go its been 15-18 years
DanceUntilWeDie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
She was joking I am sure!
Love her wid shah n tinga tinga!
monu_tan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
I don't think Juhi is as good a dancer as Karishma. And Karishma had her own luck working for her.

You cannot make anyone lucky or successful, dumb Juhi .
cougarTown thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 9 Thumbnail + 5
what is she today? ðŸ˜†