Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

someonelikeyou- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
I think,in every country there's a problem like this,but not much in America and countries like that in comparison to India.Even in America,women wear short clothes,and shorter than the Indian women.People here are more descent,and even in beaches they don't wear clothes like Americans do,except Goa maybe.There is no comparison actually.It's the thinking of people.It's what people say.Not every muslim girl wears burqa.Not every hindu girl wears shalwar kameez and anything like that.It's the perception of people.Crimes will always be there,and even if you try to hide,you can't hide.Kids don't wear that.If men can wear whatever they want,then why can't a woman wear what she wants?Is it termed as equality.I know there are some things,that might be there in other countries,but people are still not acceptable to that in India,just because of the perceptions,just because the way of thinking we all people have.If a man does something,then it is not the fault of the woman who wore those sort of clothes,it's the problem of the man.It is he,who is mad,not the woman's clothing,which mattered.I don't think short clothes should be banned in India just because of men.If men can't change themselves,which is a crime,then why should women change themselves when wearing short clothes is not a crime..everyone has equal rights in India,and even if it's the matter of short clothes,then even I don't think that a girl should wear transparent and clothes which make it possible for everyone to see through what she is wearing.They should be decent,despite them being short.
**no offense**
Much love,
Falaq
Panthera thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Banning short clothes. For what? So that women don't get raped? Rape is banned. Infact its illegal. Has that stopped rape?
Look at iran..full cover up is an absolute requirement. So you have all these women going around with just their eyeballs showing. Has that stopped eve teasing, harrasment , assault? No! Iranian women will tell you, the moment they are walking outside alone without a man by their side, they are targets of disgusting looks, comments, harrasment. Before the iranian revolution, women wore western clothes, short skirts the lot. The incidences of harrasement and assault were a lot less.
Banning things doesn't stop or prevent things happening.

The question of a woman being able to wear anything she wants is related but slightly different issue. In India, legally she can wear anything she wants but realistically she can't due to a whole host of reasons.

The only time there will be a significant change in the majority regressive male attitude prevalent amongst indian men will be when from the day they they can recall, they see their moms being treated with respect and equality by their dads. They get told to be home at same time as their sisters, get thrashed by their moms for showing any less respect to a girl then he shows to a boy. But that won;t happen coz in india the cissfied men are the result of their mom's upbringing!

Now please no one take personal offense. In case you don't realise I am talking about overall cultural attitudes. India is a huge country with a massive population. From  villages where women can't go safely to the toilet to metro cities where women are educated and working, but are still targets of a regressive attitude.

OriginalJuhi_04 thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 9

Originally posted by: Panthera

Banning short clothes. For what? So that women don't get raped? Rape is banned. Infact its illegal. Has that stopped rape?
Look at iran..full cover up is an absolute requirement. So you have all these women going around with just their eyeballs showing. Has that stopped eve teasing, harrasment , assault? No! Iranian women will tell you, the moment they are walking outside alone without a man by their side, they are targets of disgusting looks, comments, harrasment. Before the iranian revolution, women wore western clothes, short skirts the lot. The incidences of harrasement and assault were a lot less.
Banning things doesn't stop or prevent things happening.

The question of a woman being able to wear anything she wants is related but slightly different issue. In India, legally she can wear anything she wants but realistically she can't due to a whole host of reasons.

The only time there will be a significant change in the majority regressive male attitude prevalent amongst indian men will be when from the day they they can recall, they see their moms being treated with respect and equality by their dads. They get told to be home at same time as their sisters, get thrashed by their moms for showing any less respect to a girl then he shows to a boy. But that won;t happen coz in india the cissfied men are the result of their mom's upbringing!

Now please no one take personal offense. In case you don't realise I am talking about overall cultural attitudes. India is a huge country with a massive population. From  villages where women can't go safely to the toilet to metro cities where women are educated and working, but are still targets of a regressive attitude.

Were Iranians really modern? Islamic Revolution matlab? Were they not Muslims before dat? Hope these terrorists never take over India or any other countries like Taliban did wid Afghanistan. I don't want these terrorists to win by ruling any countris in d world.
thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I have recently started to consider myself a feminist. And as one, I find this question highly offensive. I don't even wear miniskirts or any skirts, I don't know the first thing about any fashion under the sun, expect a Luna Lovegood cum Phoebe Buffay kind of fashion I really admire. Anyway, even so, it boils my blood when I come across nonsense like this. India is as it is banning way too many things for absurd reasons, to add any kind of women's clothing to that will be reaching a new and unimaginable low. The debate has become really old, whether what one wears encourages rape or not, if miniskirts or whatever are staining the awesome culture of our country. I vehemently disagree with anyone who wants to dictate what women should wear and what they shouldn't.

Smriti Irani, the HRD minister recently made a statement at some Women's conference that nobody tells women what to wear in India, that they are not forced. I read this in the newspaper and found it farcical. But now that I think about it, it's a Utopian India she had cooked up there and I like her version.
Lifebeautifulso thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I saw this post a long time ago, members made their points.
My take is simple. A girl has all right to wear what she wants. If she wears short clothes, it doesn't mean she wants to be raped, she just wants to look beautiful or a little sexy. It is very natural
Of course she has to accept that people will pay more attention to her look even if someone gives her dirty look, it is also natural as long as they respect her.
and of course she should take her safety into consideration, it depends on where she lives, situations, time,...
Edited by Lifebeautifulso - 8 years ago
Unhinged thumbnail
What we eat, what we wear should be basic human right. When religion or a group of fundamentalists start dictating how we should live our lives and ban what they deem is not appropriate then it is oppression.
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Unhinged

What we eat, what we wear should be basic human right. When religion or a group of fundamentalists start dictating how we should live our lives and ban what they deem is not appropriate then it is oppression.

Right now its not the fundamentalists dictating.. given the state of affairs its just dictated by common sense.. !! 
Unhinged thumbnail

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

Right now its not the fundamentalists dictating.. given the state of affairs its just dictated by common sense.. !! 

and that "Common Sense" being what? this is mob mentality polarized by stone age sense of morality.
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Unhinged

and that "Common Sense" being what? this is mob mentality polarized by stone age sense of morality.

it is what it is.. arabic countries still flog women for adultery and cut off stealing arms.. here atleast you are delving in a much saner society... without the stone age barbarism...😊
Unhinged thumbnail

if Saner Society means, village heads sanctioning gang rape of sisters (if you have read this news article) public flogging of boys who try to marry upper cast girls or honour killings stories that are too common. Anyway my argument is deviating from the original topic a bit.

Edited by Unhinged - 8 years ago