•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 24 days ago

In a sustainable off-grid living, people use and consume only what they create. The main characteristics of this kind of self-sufficient living include frugal livingfood storage, homesteadingDIY culture etc., and in the extreme, disconnected-from-the-grid living.

Permaculture, sustainable agriculture, and renewable energy are some practices that permit or help with self-sustainability.

In the West, particularly in US, many individuals or small groups have tried taking this route to a back-to-the-roots existence, and many have come up successful.

But in India, is such a movement possible in small groups? There are probably some groups which are doing this, but with a commercial motive.

I hope something substantive can come out of this discussion.

Edited by Summon.All - 24 days ago
Posted: 24 days ago

Off-the-grid is a term used to describe structures and lifestyles that are meant to be self-sufficient, without relying on one or more public services. 

Self-sufficiency must be in terms of energy, drinkable water, food and management of waste.

Needless to say, it does reduce environmental impact.

Renewable energy sources such as the sun, wind, and micro-hydro can be used for electrical power and heat. Biomass energy (in the form of wood, garbage, and alcohol fuels) and geothermal energy are two other sources of energy.

Posted: 21 days ago

Great Topic for discussion @Summon All. Its quite HIFI for my simple mind, yet very appealing. I am curious to learn more about it. So how do we go about this. Can we do it by ourselves. Are there people who are successful in this kind of living. Kindly let us know.

Posted: 20 days ago

Yup, that's what we have to thrash out in discussions and inputs from posters.

Posted: 17 days ago

Originally posted by Summon.All


In the West, particularly in US, many individuals or small groups have tried taking this route to a back-to-the-roots existence, and many have come up successful.

But in India, is such a movement possible in small groups?


In the US, there are doomsday preppers and survivalists who are more concerned with short-term survival in the face of catastrophic events. Their preparations usually include stockpiling food, water, medical supplies, and weapons to protect themselves and their families during emergencies.


Off-the-grid living tends to focus on long-term sustainability and environmental consciousness. This kind of living could be very challenging in countries with large populations such as India. For one, land availability would be problematic. There are very few regions in India, available for purchase or lease, which are not densely populated. There are also regulations and zoning laws which require permits and approvals to build structures and renewable energy systems. Water scarcity is also a concern in many parts of India, so off-the-grid communities would need to implement practices such as rainwater harvesting, water conservation, and purification systems. Once you start doing all this, you are as good as living in towns, which is what most people who are not residing in cities are doing anyway.


Even if feasible, there are cultural considerations which may prevent off-the-grid living. How many families would approve of this kind of a living for their members? How would you convince others to join you for this kind of a "minimalist" hermit like living?

Posted: 13 days ago

Originally posted by K.Universe.


In the US, there are doomsday preppers and survivalists who are more concerned with short-term survival in the face of catastrophic events. Their preparations usually include stockpiling food, water, medical supplies, and weapons to protect themselves and their families during emergencies.

Off-the-grid living tends to focus on long-term sustainability and environmental consciousness. This kind of living could be very challenging in countries with large populations such as India. For one, land availability would be problematic. There are very few regions in India, available for purchase or lease, which are not densely populated. There are also regulations and zoning laws which require permits and approvals to build structures and renewable energy systems. Water scarcity is also a concern in many parts of India, so off-the-grid communities would need to implement practices such as rainwater harvesting, water conservation, and purification systems. Once you start doing all this, you are as good as living in towns, which is what most people who are not residing in cities are doing anyway.


Even if feasible, there are cultural considerations which may prevent off-the-grid living. How many families would approve of this kind of a living for their members? How would you convince others to join you for this kind of a "minimalist" hermit like living?



Appreciate the response. Condenses a lot in a nutshell. 👍
So, it seems there ARE a few regions available for purchase, although they must be agricultural land.

I would differ slightly on your opinion that once a community starts implementing rainwater harvesting, water conservation etc, it becomes akin to living in towns. Township living implies involvement of government institutions, but a sustainable community in a proportionately large land area can implement organic farming, water harvesting, animal husbandry, renewal energy systems etc without (or with minimalistic) involvement of governance mechanisms, and/or modern technology solutions, for a natural, peaceful and fulfilling lifestyle.

Of course, if the community hankers for city amenities, then not only will it try to get the parcel of land near towns/cities, but would also approach municipality/ local government for provision of such facilities, in which case the entire project becomes an extension of a township (with all the associated negativities of modern lifestyle), only that it has the framework of an enclave.


Very true, that it is next to impossible to convince others to give everything up for a minimalist living. It will only be when the true recognition of the myriad ways the living ecosystem in cities has been corrupted (food, water, society etal.) that will make some pause to think and go — hmmm... 🤔

Edited by Summon.All - 13 days ago
Posted: 12 days ago

Please elaborate on "without (or with minimalistic) involvement of governance mechanisms, and/or modern technology solutions, for a natural, peaceful and fulfilling lifestyle". How would this community work without governance? How would we ensure order, cooperation, and the effective management of resources? Don't we need some kind of a democratic decision making with a leadership structure to enforce rules and guidelines for the community? At least a community coordinator or council members or committee chairs? Also, how would this community resolve conflicts? Crime? What about taxes?

I would also like to know why you (of all the people, a software developer! smiley1) view technology as a negativity. Why is it against a "natural, peaceful and fulfilling lifestyle"?

Posted: 11 days ago
Originally posted by K.Universe.


Please elaborate on "without (or with minimalistic) involvement of governance mechanisms, and/or modern technology solutions, for a natural, peaceful and fulfilling lifestyle". How would this community work without governance? How would we ensure order, cooperation, and the effective management of resources? Don't we need some kind of a democratic decision making with a leadership structure to enforce rules and guidelines for the community? At least a community coordinator or council members or committee chairs? Also, how would this community resolve conflicts? Crime? What about taxes?

I would also like to know why you (of all the people, a software developer! smiley1) view technology as a negativity. Why is it against a "natural, peaceful and fulfilling lifestyle"?


You misunderstood. By "governance mechanism" I meant the governance machinery of the existing political system which is self-serving and mostly anti-people in execution. Of course, a participative democratic internal governance mechanism will be needed for such a hypothetical community.

If I live in a log house made by me, I should not have ostrich-head-in-sand attitude to a creeping problem of termite infestation hollowing out the structure. Abuse of science and technology, at multiple levels, is ruling the roost. A developer is more aware of how IT systems can be used for nefarious purposes. I am 100% sure you are aware of that too! 😊

It is technology, as hijacked by the current global power structure, that is a problem, not technology per se.

Posted: 10 days ago
Originally posted by Summon.All


A developer is more aware of how IT systems can be used for nefarious purposes. I am 100% sure you are aware of that too! 😊

It is technology, as hijacked by the current global power structure, that is a problem, not technology per se.


Yes, I understand smiley1 Technology could indeed be considered a double-edged sword because it has both positive and negative impacts on individuals, societies, and the environment. For example, there's enhanced communication and global connectivity now but at the same time there are data breaches, identity theft, surveillance, and invasive tracking technologies which pose risks to individual privacy and autonomy. There's increased productivity and efficiency thanks to automation and AI but at the same time technology may also be responsible for higher unemployment, income inequality and so on.


Here's an article on a community of families building their own town from scratch with the goal to live independently of "modern mass-scale systems of production". Makes for a fascinating read. Obviously, you are not alone in your thinking.

Posted: 9 days ago
Originally posted by K.Universe.


... ... Here's an article on a community of families building their own town from scratch with the goal to live independently of "modern mass-scale systems of production". Makes for a fascinating read. Obviously, you are not alone in your thinking.


Great Read !! 👍

Long term thinkers in India with this kind of vision? Probably very few. 😞

  1  

Related Topics

No Related topics found

Topic Info

3 Participants 9 Replies 523Views

Topic started by Summon.All

Last replied by Summon.All

loader
loader
up-open TOP