Should short clothes for women ever be banned in India?

Posted: 8 years ago
Should short clothes for women ever be banned in India? Many people including those who call themselves modern hate girls in even simple jeans n t-shirt let alone mini dresses, shorts, mini-skirts. Many people don't want their wife, sister, daughter to wear short clothes. Even some guys tell their girlfriends not to wear sleeveless or short clothes. Many people object women wearing shorts n call them bad. Earlier in TV shows, onky villains wore western clothes 4m jeans to shorts. But now things have improved a little bit as some shows have heroines wearing western clothes but they r taunted by some or other people for their clothes n told to wear on salwar-suits n sarees. Even Sania Mirza was once told to wear burqa while playing tennis instead of mini-skirts. Edited by angel_juhi04 - 8 years ago
In order to ban short clothes or any kind of clothes we have to first amend the constitution of India. According to the constitution any Indian citizen has the right to wear what they like. Irrespective of that girls are criticized no matter what. The clothes are just one of the few things.
The decision about what and what not to wear is completely up to a girl. It's up to her to decide what she wears irrespective of what others think. If girls show the courage to do that then those who criticize will accept it slowly. 

You need to remember that India was   a place were education for women was not allowed. It changed didn't it?

Back then there was a time Salwar was considered modern and all girls were advised to wear Sarees. That changed didn't it?

So instead of worrying about the people who are affected by girls wearing sleeveless but are not affected by poverty or corruption in India, all girls should take a break and go ahead and wear what they like. If we ignore the people who criticize,  they'll eventually have to stop it.

How about we ban other things like religious ostracism, regional biases and many many many more ills that plague our world first?
The concept of clothes can get a girl raped eludes me. It's ridiculous.
As far I know the constitution of India, I guess the short clothes for women could not be banned. But what I will always say is, it is OK if a woman wears clothes which are convenient for her. Of course, when she wears short clothes, she has to face comments. This is something I know for real. One woman in US wore a saree, when she went to work. (Saree is not short cloth!) She had to deal with the comments by her colleagues in the work place which embarassed her a lot and so she stopped wearing saree when she went to work. Isn't the same case when a girl wears short clothes when she goes to work in India? 
Yes. In a repressed and oppressed society women are better off wearing proper attire and excelling in other fields than wearing short attire and becoming target of rape and molestation.. India is still a male dominated society when most men are still primitive in their thought process!!!!
Originally posted by qwertyesque

Yes. In a repressed and oppressed society women are better off wearing proper attire and excelling in other fields than wearing short attire and becoming target of rape and molestation.. India is still a male dominated society when most men are still primitive in their thought process!!!!

I can't agree with your @bold. Are kids raped because they wear short clothes? Do we have to dress up our kids in burqa?

India will continue to be a male dominated society unless women start taking control of the way they live and that includes dressing too.
Originally posted by Destiny_rose

I can't agree with your @bold. Are kids raped because they wear short clothes? Do we have to dress up our kids in burqa?

India will continue to be a male dominated society unless women start taking control of the way they live and that includes dressing too.

its not a rule.. just like moving around topless is easier for men than women,, we should be willing to change radically or remain within well accepted boundaries.. 
No...it is upto a girl what she wears and wat she doesnt...if a girl is comfortable in short clothes,she can wear it...its one's personal choice...

There was a time when people criticised at girls wearing jeans and top..now it has changed...now we can see most of the girls in jeans..our society will change..but it will take some time...

Will sania be able win any trophy if she played in saree or chudidhar...no..people should understand that...for the sport which she palys she needs to wear short clothes...

Before asking sania to stoo wearing short dresses they should ask the film makers to stop showing girls in short clothes unnecessarily...but no...no one tells that...

They should first ban other things than this...
Originally posted by qwertyesque

its not a rule.. just like moving around topless is easier for men than women,, we should be willing to change radically or remain within well accepted boundaries.. 

Remain within well boundaries, but who sets these boundaries? Is it god, the supreme force? No. Why do we accept them? Because everyone else does. [It doesn't matter if it's right or wrong but we all accept them because all other do.]

These boundaries have been set by humans and it is up to humans to change it.

I've read somewhere that the society we live in is a reflection of thoughts. We wait for a radical change to happen but it never does because we don't dare to change our actions and thoughts. Ever since we are kids we grow up hearing stuff like "If a girl goes out in short clothes and  a guy stares at her the girl is entirely at fault" or "If a girl goes out at night and gets raped it is entirely her fault." These thoughts have crept into our default programming. So a girl believes that if she goes out and gets stared on then it must be entirely her fault, maybe it's her dressing[even if she's wearing a salwar] or the way she walks, and guys[not all but yes some] believe that they do have a right to stare at/ pass comments on/ physically abuse a girl if she wears short clothes or travels at night. 

Most girls now do believe that it is up to them to decide what to wear but they don't actually wear what they like because they're afraid about the society. They're afraid to actually begin the change they feel necessary. 

With that said I feel obliged to point out that radical changes have taken place in our society. Education for women was considered inauspicious few decades back. But today majority of girls are educated. How did that happen? Because a couple of women had the courage to go ahead and learn even though the society was against them doing so.

Change is purely a matter of attitude.

Originally posted by Destiny_rose

Remain within well boundaries, but who sets these boundaries? Is it god, the supreme force? No. Why do we accept them? Because everyone else does. [It doesn't matter if it's right or wrong but we all accept them because all other do.]

These boundaries have been set by humans and it is up to humans to change it.

I've read somewhere that the society we live in is a reflection of thoughts. We wait for a radical change to happen but it never does because we don't dare to change our actions and thoughts. Ever since we are kids we grow up hearing stuff like "If a girl goes out in short clothes and  a guy stares at her the girl is entirely at fault" or "If a girl goes out at night and gets raped it is entirely her fault." These thoughts have crept into our default programming. So a girl believes that if she goes out and gets stared on then it must be entirely her fault, maybe it's her dressing[even if she's wearing a salwar] or the way she walks, and guys[not all but yes some] believe that they do have a right to stare at/ pass comments on/ physically abuse a girl if she wears short clothes or travels at night. 

Most girls now do believe that it is up to them to decide what to wear but they don't actually wear what they like because they're afraid about the society. They're afraid to actually begin the change they feel necessary. 

With that said I feel obliged to point out that radical changes have taken place in our society. Education for women was considered inauspicious few decades back. But today majority of girls are educated. How did that happen? Because a couple of women had the courage to go ahead and learn even though the society was against them doing so.

Change is purely a matter of attitude.

Its well known that the way girls dress has a lot of effect of men in a culture like india.. its a male dominated society and will remain so for unforeseeable future.. so men set the boundaries.. and that's the way it is at least for now... so what are you expecting to change.. Its better to move out of the country and migrate to a country which meets your expectations but living in india and expecting things to change is just a fantasy.

Education, voting rights are like got the women to level ground.. i don't think women can move topless in india just as freely as men in next xx years!!! you are comparing apples with oranges... getting education and physical freedom to do anything you please, don't equate!

again I am not saying that shouldn't or should happen,, just that I don't see it coming any time soon!! until then its good for women to stay within those unwanted boundaries... just to be safe!