UP Govt has banned halal certified food products

Petrichor80 thumbnail
Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Posted: 5 months ago

https://www.thequint.com/news/india/uttar-pradesh-halal-ban-exemption-latest-news#read-more

This seems extreme by UP Govt. They are banning halal certified food products, yet they want to exempt it, so they can export Halal. Why is exporting okay?? India is one of the largest beef exporter in the world.

I don't see any reason to be so extreme to ban halal certified food products in the state and I also don't see any reason why India should be one of the largest exporter of beef either. Stop exporting beef for money. What are your thoughts on this? 

Edited by Petrichor80 - 5 months ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sutapasima thumbnail

I am just curious to know if there exists any provision to provide non halal meats for minority communities living in the countries who prefer Halal  ? 

Petrichor80 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sutapasima

I am just curious to know if there exists any provision to provide non halal meats for minority communities living in the countries who prefer Halal  ? 

It just seems targeted when they ban halal certified products when they know there are minorities that eat only Halal meat. Why are we exporting beef? I don't eat beef, against slaughter of cows, so I am not going to export beef.

Palak2812 thumbnail

I love how some people love making everything about against those who are not the minority.

It was done due to so many fake Halal certificates.

At least know why Halal meat became a thing and what that money does before blaming. 

Petrichor80 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Palak2812

I love how some people love making everything about against those who are not the minority.

It was done due to so many fake Halal certificates.

At least know why Halal meat became a thing and what that money does before blaming. 

Why can't he ban export? What is stopping him there?  If they are so concerned about harm stop exporting beef.

InsaneDivine thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Halal means the whole supply chain is Muslim. The animal has to be slaughtered in a certain way, by a Muslim only. It puts many non-Muslim slaughterers out of employment. Then there are certification authorities that employ only Muslims, to look into the whole process if it's done as per Islamic beliefs. The company has to pay a part of its profit to obtain Halal certificates. There have been previous controversies where Hindu and Sikh organizations had said that many food chains like McDonald's, KFC, and Pizza Hut were serving Halal-certified nonvegetarian food to even non-muslims. Sikhs and Hindus prefer Jhatka meat as per their beliefs. 

If that was not enough Oil, soaps, cosmetics, Drugs, and medical supplies were also being Halal certified as certain drugs contain pig gelatin, and many cosmetics and drugs contain animal products. (There is Halal tourism also. I really don't know what's that smiley36 ) So it ends up creating a parallel economy. Then it has health concerns. How can any random body give quality certification to any product? That's against the law. It can pose a risk to the health of the consumers. Halal certification authorities were unregulated bodies that got their legitimacy only from either the importing country or from the members of the community. 

Now if we don't ban then the solution would be to create another parallel economy that employs only Hindus or Sikhs, where meat or any other product is not made as per the prescriptions of the Islamic faith. But then that would bring Islamophobia allegations with it. If the leaders of the Muslim community are OK with Muslims not being employed in companies owned by non-Muslims and processes that are not as per Islamic belief, then it's up to them. I cannot comment on that. They can negotiate with the government. Although I don't think they would want that. Without the ban, other communities end up losing the market and if not, the price escalation would happen. Companies will have to set up two types of supply chains one for Halal products and another for non-Halal products, research on R&D, etc.

As to the beef thing, India does not export cow meat. India exports buffalo meat. So yeah, Black life does not matter even in the Bovine community.smiley36 Cow slaughter is a state subject so there are states where cow slaughter is banned and has very strict laws (that includes non-BJP states too), there are states where it is regulated and then there are states where it is allowed. However, the export of cow, oxen, and calf meat is prohibited by law.

Palak2812 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Petrichor80

Why can't he ban export? What is stopping him there?  If they are so concerned about harm stop exporting beef.

Why should non-muslims in India buy Halal products which doesn't give them employment?

You guys do drama if they made anything just about non-Muslims but want Halal to be there. 

Hypocrisy at its best 

Petrichor80 thumbnail

Originally posted by: InsaneDivine

Halal means the whole supply chain is Muslim. The animal has to be slaughtered in a certain way, by a Muslim only. It puts many non-Muslim slaughterers out of employment. Then there are certification authorities that employ only Muslims, to look into the whole process if it's done as per Islamic beliefs. The company has to pay a part of its profit to obtain Halal certificates. There have been previous controversies where Hindu and Sikh organizations had said that many food chains like McDonald's, KFC, and Pizza Hut were serving Halal-certified nonvegetarian food to even non-muslims. Sikhs and Hindus prefer Jhatka meat as per their beliefs. 

If that was not enough Oil, soaps, cosmetics, Drugs, and medical supplies were also being Halal certified as certain drugs contain pig gelatin, and many cosmetics and drugs contain animal products. (There is Halal tourism also. I really don't know what's that smiley36 ) So it ends up creating a parallel economy. Then it has health concerns. How can any random body give quality certification to any product? That's against the law. It can pose a risk to the health of the consumers. Halal certification authorities were unregulated bodies that got their legitimacy only from either the importing country or from the members of the community. 

Now if we don't ban then the solution would be to create another parallel economy that employs only Hindus or Sikhs, where meat or any other product is not made as per the prescriptions of the Islamic faith. But then that would bring Islamophobia allegations with it. If the leaders of the Muslim community are OK with Muslims not being employed in companies owned by non-Muslims and processes that are not as per Islamic belief, then it's up to them. I cannot comment on that. They can negotiate with the government. Although I don't think they would want that. Without the ban, other communities end up losing the market and if not, the price escalation would happen. Companies will have to set up two types of supply chains one for Halal products and another for non-Halal products, research on R&D, etc.

As to the beef thing, India does not export cow meat. India exports buffalo meat. So yeah, Black life does not matter even in the Bovine community.smiley36 Cow slaughter is a state subject so there are states where cow slaughter is banned and has very strict laws (that includes non-BJP states too), there are states where it is regulated and then there are states where it is allowed. However, the export of cow, oxen, and calf meat is prohibited by law.

I appreciate your message. It is possible to have two types of supply chains one for Halal products and another for non-Halal products it happens all over the world without allegations of Islamophobia. It just doesn't seem possible in UP based on everything you told me. They have banned it in the state, but there is an exemption on exporting. To me beef be it from cows or buffalos I am not eating beef, against slaughter of cows and buffalos, so I don't agree with exporting beef at all. I don't know anyone, who eats beef, because it is buffalo beef and not cow beef.

Petrichor80 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Palak2812

Why should non-muslims in India buy Halal products which doesn't give them employment?

You guys do drama if they made anything just about non-Muslims but want Halal to be there. 

Hypocrisy at its best 

No one is asking non-muslims in India to buy Halal products. It is possible to have two types of supply chains one for Halal products and another for non-Halal products which happens all over the world. It just doesn't seem to be possible in UP.

What exactly do you mean by "you guys"?

Hypocrisy is exempting ban on export of halal-certified food product.

InsaneDivine thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Petrichor80

I appreciate your message. It is possible to have two types of supply chains one for Halal products and another for non-Halal products it happens all over the world without allegations of Islamophobia. It just doesn't seem possible in UP based on everything you told me. They have banned it in the state, but there is an exemption on exporting. To me beef be it from cows or buffalos I am not eating beef, against slaughter of cows and buffalos, so I don't agree with exporting beef at all. I don't know anyone, who eats beef, because it is buffalo beef and not cow beef.

I think companies should be clear on what kind of meat they are selling. Like properly specifying if it is Halal meat or Jhatka. Don't leave it to people's discretion, when it comes to Jhatka. Btw, I don't think they have banned Halal meat or non-vegetarian food certifications. They have barred some other products like garments, medicines, sugar, etc.  

However, when it comes to drugs, cosmetics, or medical things, I don't think any other authority should be sanctioned to give certificates apart from government bodies, as that can pose health hazards. Also, vegetarian products again don't need a Halal certificate as FSSAI already put a logo for that. Even by Islamic belief, as per my limited knowledge, veg products are halal anyway. I mean why is a Halal Papad or Halal namkeen needed? 

Coming to beef again, well I am also a vegetarian and I don't have any kind of meat, so even I would be very happy if all kinds of beef were banned and people tomorrow turn vegetarian and animal-lovingsmiley36. But then that's the reality, we have climbed up the chart that you posted above by selling buffalo meat smiley36. Cow meat export is banned in India.