Going to 'make sure' men, women get paid equally in Bollywood:KANGANA

Thrasher thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago

National Award winning actress Kangana Ranaut on Thursday said she will "make sure" someday the divide between men and women in Bollywood in terms of paychecks is bridged.

"Few people are trying, like me. It is still a very, very male-dominated industry and yes hopefully, at some point, it will be equal and I am going to make sure that happens," she told the media here in response to a poser on her stance on the issue.

The actress was in the city to promote "Tanu Weds Manu Returns", which releases on May 22. The film is a sequel to the 2011 romantic comedy "Tanu Weds Manu".

"This is a love story on contemporary marriage. I don't think such stories are made. The humour in the movie is Asubtle and relatable," she said.

Kangana made her Bollywood debut with 2006 release hit "Gangster" and since then she has carved a special place by delivering exceptional performances in films like "Fashion" and "Queen".

In "Tanu Weds Manu Returns", she will be seen in a double role of Tanu and Kusum. Kusum is a tomboy of sorts and for the character, the actress had to go rustic and speak Haryanvi.

Kangana said shooting for the sequel was "stressful" due to the challenge of the double role.

Directed by Anand L. Rai, the film also features R. Madhavan, Deepak Dobriyal, Jimmy Shergill, Mohammed Zeeshan Ayyub and Dhanush.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
that sounds like women empowerment! 👏
HippoSucks thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
The price difference has little to do with gender bias. Male actors generally have a larger role in films and get paid more. I don't see how one will reduce the pay difference caused by it or why it is necessary to do so.
cougarTown thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 9 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: HippoSucks

The price difference has little to do with gender bias. Male actors generally have a larger role in films and get paid more. I don't see how one will reduce the pay difference caused by it or why it is necessary to do so.

Imran khan being paid more than katrina in MBKD or kareena in EMAET was ridiculous to say the least. Some things definitely need to be sorted out.
rogerrocks thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
How exactly is she going to manage that? By first delivering a 30/ 40 crore opening & demanding as much as the Khans? While i agree that its ridiculous Imran gets paid more than a Katrina, the disparity is also a consequence of the BO clout the male stars posses in comparison to their female counterparts..
Rupalov thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
How? She acts in movies whose total budget is equal to the fee of a Khan for a single movie. She might get equal compensation to someone like Madhavan or Rajkumar.. but saying she will wipe the salary difference is so silly. You are no Sridevi Edited by Rupalov - 9 years ago
TheekThaak thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Imaloser

Why talk only about Khans? Do younger actor who by  more than actress deliver 30/40 crore? Did Varun,Arjun,Ranveer deliver a 30/40 crore opening with their latest movies? 

Ikr..It's like my batch-mates at my workplace being paid more due to their gender. Varun/Arjun getting a bigger pay-check than Alia makes no sense to me, at all. Things are surely messed up. Khans are at a different level altogether but the difference at lower level needs to be sorted out. 

Also, the fact that female characters are so poorly written and presented also reflects the gender discrimination. But oh well, we have had this debate earlier as well..so it's better to dig that thread up. 😆

Edit : Super typos. 😆
Edited by .krackjack. - 9 years ago
theprince thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
bla bla bla like always she really need to shut up its just one good role and the film is overated like hell

she need to look at vidya thay make it on the moon then now after flops film no one talk about her i can see that happen with her if she stay with bla bla statment
rogerrocks thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: .krackjack.

Ikr..It's like my batch-mates at my workplace being paid more due to their gender. Varun/Arjun getting a bigger pay-check than Alia makes no sense to me, at all. Things are surely messed up. Khans are at a different level altogether but the difference at lower level needs to be sorted out. 

Also, the fact that female characters are so poorly written and presented also reflects the gender discrimination. But oh well, we have had this debate earlier as well..so it's better to dig that thread up. 😆

Edit : Super typos. 😆

But i did say its ridiculous that Imran/ Arjun get paid more than Katrina/ Alia😆 But Kangana here is talking about absolute equality which is just not practical IMO..Equality is never an absolute term..Equals should be treated equally..The established male stars defo have bigger BO clout & command a bigger opening than every single female superstar..So why exactly should they be paid equally?  
gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
How are you planning that?