Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Divashni thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
Originally posted by: Nisha0604

Sorry compatriots, I was WIA

Violin lesson for teenager (the teacher cancelled at , I changed my NT password at work and my phone email didnt update until I synced it  after I dropped him off 😭)and tennis for younger one, and then a piano recital at the piano teacher's house at 7:30 IST WE THOUGHT, but it was at 8:00 AM IST.We as a family are CHRONIC about forgetting dates, times and places. "What time da?" I asked my teenager he goes, she said it was her house and  TODAY!!

AWESOME!!!
Atleast you remember the month!!!  I am like "Raatri full a ingeye irukalama (can we stay here the whole night?) He was like "Ummm... I cant remember the time"🤣

ARGHHH!! Any way many kids didnt show up, paavam, she is 82 and still tirelessly teaches...  my oldest plays the piano like II sings... I bet all the Desi kids in this country play great too... but I find the teacher makes him play a couple extra pieces just so everyone can hear how good he is. The teacher has a  another 84 year old room mate, who absolutely adores his playing, every Saturday she will hold my hands at the Y and say "I havent heard a boy play the piano like this"

He? Wants to give it up... I was emotionally blackmailing him on the way home saying how two Paattis are rooting for him😳. He reluctantly agreed... I so wish he wont give up learning and playing.  I live ina all white gaon, there is no access to Carnatic or Hindustani music. THIS IS IT. When we gather around the piano at friends' homes after Thanksgiving dinner, every one plays... I told him, learn TEN superbly well. It will give people joy wherever you go.

I wish I played like him, I would never quit😭

He played a River Flows in You and & Pachelbel -Canon in D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyTBCaCnYco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNsgHMklBW0

Don't let him quit Nisha!! I lernd piano nd guitar 4 ten yrs bt quit playng durng high school bc it ws getting 2 b a lot. I so wish tht I hadn't stopd. I remembr my parents also advising agaisnt it...bt teenage yrs mein kahan kuch samajh aata hai? 😆
If I want 2 pick up my guitar now, I would hav 2 spend a lot of time perfectng jst the basics...I havent completely 4gottn bt it seems 2 b like tht foreign language u understand sum words of bt can't speak or understand fully. ðŸ˜­
Errantnomad thumbnail
[QUOTE=Nisha0604] Sorry compatriots, I was WIA

Violin lesson for teenager (the teacher cancelled at , I changed my NT password at work and my phone email didnt update until I synced it after I dropped him off 😭)and tennis for younger one, and then a piano recital at the piano teacher's house at 7:30 IST WE THOUGHT, but it was at 8:00 AM IST.We as a family are CHRONIC about forgetting dates, times and places. "What time da?" I asked my teenager he goes, she said it was her house and TODAY!!

AWESOME!!!
Atleast you remember the month!!! I am like "Raatri full a ingeye irukalama (can we stay here the whole night?) He was like "Ummm... I cant remember the time"🤣

ARGHHH!! Any way many kids didnt show up, paavam, she is 82 and still tirelessly teaches... my oldest plays the piano like II sings... I bet all the Desi kids in this country play great too... but I find the teacher makes him play a couple extra pieces just so everyone can hear how good he is. The teacher has a another 84 year old room mate, who absolutely adores his playing, every Saturday she will hold my hands at the Y and say "I havent heard a boy play the piano like this"

He? Wants to give it up... I was emotionally blackmailing him on the way home saying how two Paattis are rooting for him😳. He reluctantly agreed... I so wish he wont give up learning and playing. I live ina all white gaon, there is no access to Carnatic or Hindustani music. THIS IS IT. When we gather around the piano at friends' homes after Thanksgiving dinner, every one plays... I told him, learn TEN superbly well. It will give people joy wherever you go.

My god!!your oldest plays the piano!!! How many connects!! Unbelievable.,,,
I am so happy that he makes you proud by playing the piano so well...
Well my connect is my daughter plays the piano too.
Would you believe it if I told you that she gave 'River flows in you" and another piece called " sad story " for her Trinity grade exams last May.
She only plays the piano. She started on her own . We had a Casio the toy one and had these noted from the time my husband took a few classes and he have it up cos of his travel. She learnt Carnatic fit three years and she started like that reading my husbands notes. Did not realise when she started going to you tube and following more ... The pressure of finding a good music school got to us when we lived in gurgaon... She has been playing since...
She comes back from school, kicks off her footwear and sits to play the piano. Now she has a Baldwin... Yep she went for a traditional one...Food comes later.
The best she plays is when she finishes her semester exams , comes bl home and plays endlessly...
The home is quiet and I just listen...

The connections SoSy brings...
Best wishes for your son, madam writer ...
Nisha0604 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Divashni

Don't let him quit Nisha!! I lernd piano nd guitar 4 ten yrs bt quit playng durng high school bc it ws getting 2 b a lot. I so wish tht I hadn't stopd. I remembr my parents also advising agaisnt it...bt teenage yrs mein kahan kuch samajh aata hai? 😆
If I want 2 pick up my guitar now, I would hav 2 spend a lot of time perfectng jst the basics...I havent completely 4gottn bt it seems 2 b like tht foreign language u understand sum words of bt can't speak or understand fully. ðŸ˜­

Divashni,

I am pretty reckless like II, I would even go as far ahead to tell him JUST DO MUSIC😃, but kal ko naukri ke bagair kaise kaam chalega.😭 Millions do well in college and make a good living but only a handful of musically gifted  become Elton John, nahi?  Hes DOING A LOT. Leadership, Honor Socy,  Science Bowl,  AP classes, works at his job 8 hours a week, Volunteers at my 7 year old's elementary school 4 hours a week... like a typical Desi kid... nothing is too much... But I only love one thing he does thats piano and violin... padhai to har koi kar sakta hai, who can play A River Flows through you like Yiruma? Very few😭 
Edited by Nisha0604 - 9 years ago
shidin0117 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: Nisha0604

Sorry compatriots, I was WIA

Violin lesson for teenager (the teacher cancelled at , I changed my NT password at work and my phone email didnt update until I synced it  after I dropped him off 😭)and tennis for younger one, and then a piano recital at the piano teacher's house at 7:30 IST WE THOUGHT, but it was at 8:00 AM IST.We as a family are CHRONIC about forgetting dates, times and places. "What time da?" I asked my teenager he goes, she said it was her house and  TODAY!!

AWESOME!!!
Atleast you remember the month!!!  I am like "Raatri full a ingeye irukalama (can we stay here the whole night?) He was like "Ummm... I cant remember the time"🤣

ARGHHH!! Any way many kids didnt show up, paavam, she is 82 and still tirelessly teaches...  my oldest plays the piano like II sings... I bet all the Desi kids in this country play great too... but I find the teacher makes him play a couple extra pieces just so everyone can hear how good he is. The teacher has a  another 84 year old room mate, who absolutely adores his playing, every Saturday she will hold my hands at the Y and say "I havent heard a boy play the piano like this"

He? Wants to give it up... I was emotionally blackmailing him on the way home saying how two Paattis are rooting for him😳. He reluctantly agreed... I so wish he wont give up learning and playing.  I live ina all white gaon, there is no access to Carnatic or Hindustani music. THIS IS IT. When we gather around the piano at friends' homes after Thanksgiving dinner, every one plays... I told him, learn TEN superbly well. It will give people joy wherever you go.

Wow Nisha, ur son is accomplished, pls ask him to continue. Do more emotional blackmailing but dont let him discontinue.  When I see the kids nowadays, how I wish I had learnt something, dance, singing. That parents also never encouraged and other factors also affected. My son plays tabla on all the things at home..oven, window panes, table, his sisters head, but when we ask to go learn under a professional, he is like no mom I want to stay at home and be lazy. Now he is into only football, karate(wants to discontinue), swimming (only with half heart)..

Makes me want to back 25 yrs back and re-live my life in a different way.  Kash
nidhi.b23 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
congrats on thread 14 Nisha...started with a bang...manny is being Manny... she is not like sam who loves II and adores her...she is skeptical about her and may be wants to show her how lucky she is to get married into a rich family...hope she sees II in same light as Sam see soon...flat in chennai...appa would surely flip..he couldn't buy a flat in all these years and now his daughter has one in the most posh area...fate and destiny are really funny..
DesiUs_fan thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Very interesting updates Nisha. Story is getting interesting.

I liked their walk from MM to Sam's. He realized that he should not be talking about his past escapades with II.
So as far as Raman is concerned his father is as much dead to him as his mother is. To him Ranjan is probably nothing more than a caretaker of the house now. 
I am not sure about Ranjan either. It feels like he may not be guilty.  He misses his wife terribly . But he sure acts guilty before his son. II is his only hope to bridge the gap between them.

May be Chachu is right. Raman does not seem to fit in India. He does not like selling cars. He is a straight forward no nonsense  kind of guy and he does not talk. He cannot suck up to people neither can he tolerate people sucking up to him, which is much needed to run business in India at some point or the other. To be honest his knowledge and intelligence will be wasted in that business. Venture capitalism is much more challenging and rewarding. He seems to be so more at home in Paris.He behaves as a guest in MM.
The mystery around Ranjan's scandal is the only thing that might pull him back to India.

But I cannot imagine II as Parisian. She belongs in India among the family. I like their stolen moments in the midst of everyone and everything in India better than their honeymoon in Paris.

Manny appears to be a little distrustful of II now. But she might come around later once she knows II.
So Ranjan gifted Appa and Amma an apartment in chennai. I am not sure if it is Punjabi/rich people tradition to give realestate as wedding gift, but I personally did not like it and I am sure appa and amma won't like it either. Who would want to live in the house gifted by their daughter's in laws?
EnVee thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
What a beautiful rendition! What a way to start the day with this. I love pieces like this. Unplugged. No noise. Just one sound. Peace. Thanks for sharing.
Nisha0604 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: shidin0117

Wow Nisha, ur son is accomplished, pls ask him to continue. Do more emotional blackmailing but dont let him discontinue.  When I see the kids nowadays, how I wish I had learnt something, dance, singing. That parents also never encouraged and other factors also affected. My son plays tabla on all the things at home..oven, window panes, table, his sisters head, but when we ask to go learn under a professional, he is like no mom I want to stay at home and be lazy. Now he is into only football, karate(wants to discontinue), swimming (only with half heart)..

Makes me want to back 25 yrs back and re-live my life in a different way.  Kash

Shilpa, My husband and I never had any grand expectations from the kids, ALWAYS WENT WITH THE FLOW you know... its the greatest advantage of living in a no Desi town, and sending kids to a no Desi kid school... its very liberating... I found a flyer 12 years ago on my door after work one night it was "grand opening" for some piano studio, I randomly took him... hamare 10 pushton mein kisi ne piano nahi bajaya 😆 who knows about these Western instruments yaar... just for discipline I would take him every Monday I think, until we switched to the 82 year old teacher 10 years ago... she thinks he is too advanced for her teaching level she is begging him to find another teacher, I found another one... but he thinks differently

Living a loong healthy life is important, its OK if he doesnt become Elton John I think sometimes... hamari kab tak sunenge nahi? HE IS AN ANGEL... NOT ONE TANTRUM. Even today when we returned after dinner at 6:00 AM IST, I said "I will give you three minutes to shower, and wear a decent button down shirt for the recital" he was ready in three

My 7 year old? GHANTA nahaya, ek ghanta apne baal gel karey usne, jaise uski baraat ho aaj
Edited by Nisha0604 - 9 years ago
Seriousreader thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: DesiUs_fan

Very interesting updates Nisha. Story is getting interesting.

I liked their walk from MM to Sam's. He realized that he should not be talking about his past escapades with II.
So as far as Raman is concerned his father is as much dead to him as his mother is. To him Ranjan is probably nothing more than a caretaker of the house now. 
I am not sure about Ranjan either. It feels like he may not be guilty.  He misses his wife terribly . But he sure acts guilty before his son. II is his only hope to bridge the gap between them.

May be Chachu is right. Raman does not seem to fit in India. He does not like selling cars. He is a straight forward no nonsense  kind of guy and he does not talk. He cannot suck up to people neither can he tolerate people sucking up to him, which is much needed to run business in India at some point or the other. To be honest his knowledge and intelligence will be wasted in that business. Venture capitalism is much more challenging and rewarding. He seems to be so more at home in Paris.He behaves as a guest in MM.
The mystery around Ranjan's scandal is the only thing that might pull him back to India.

But I cannot imagine II as Parisian. She belongs in India among the family. I like their stolen moments in the midst of everyone and everything in India better than their honeymoon in Paris.

Manny appears to be a little distrustful of II now. But she might come around later once she knows II.
So Ranjan gifted Appa and Amma an apartment in chennai. I am not sure if it is Punjabi/rich people tradition to give realestate as wedding gift, but I personally did not like it and I am sure appa and amma won't like it either. Who would want to live in the house gifted by their daughter's in laws?

More traditional girl's parents don't even eat at the girl's house after getting her married...let alone accept a gift of that scale...don't know what Ranjan was thinking...knowing how self-respecting her appa is!
And they're from Madurai and not .chennai...right?
Edited by Seriousreader - 9 years ago
Errantnomad thumbnail
Madam writer , u missed my note on pg 7 for your sons piano... river flows in you