Frequent Posters

Iceflames thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 9 years ago

Finding Fanny review: The pleasing peculiarities of the people of Pocolim

Koel Purie  September 12, 2014 | UPDATED 10:34 IST

Finding Fanny
Director: Homi Adajania
Cast: Naseeruddin Shah, Pankaj Kapoor, Dimple Kapadia, Deepika Padukone & Arjun Kapoor 

Rating: 4 Star Rating: Recommended4 Star Rating: Recommended4 Star Rating: Recommended

There is adventure, secrets, hidden desire and world class acting.There is an undeniable pleasure in watching a film that remains true to itself in every frame. Where there are no insecure songs, superfluous characters, overwritten scenes or obvious plot points. Finding fanny  is such assured film making that whether you like the movie or not you can't help but believe and buy into the weird, insular, rural world that Homi creates. He weaves a magical spell onto the sleepy Goan village of Pocolim that is particularly quaint and washes it in delicious soft colors and sunny pastel hues.

The lives of those the film follows are outwardly riddled with tradition and grief, yet there is an underlying abandon in the way they live, wearing their hearts on their sleeves, and a genuine simplicity in the choices they make that can only come from unmarred innocence despite the unhappy circumstances. It's inhabitants are caught in a time warp that's modern and ancient all at once. There are mobiles, cars and Photoshop yet the use of them seems so purposefully peculiar. This is a world where an undelivered handwritten letter has the power to send the lives of the villagers into turmoil 46 years later. Nothing significantly concrete happens to these people (unless you count a slew of accidental deaths) yet they live a lifetime of emotion in a moment.

There is adventure, secrets, hidden desire and world class acting. Naseer, Pankaj and Dimple show us how you can be effortless and theatrical all at once. Both Naseer and Pankaj change their voices, make ridiculously bold character choices, play most scenes with Shakespearean urgency and not for one second do you not believe them. Then there is the believability of The Bum - Dimple ludicrously pads up and it only adds layers of vulnerability to her rendition of Mrs. Eucharistica.

Deepika and Arjun cannot be expected to be in the same league as these veteran actors, yet there is an ease and truth to their performances. They seem totally comfortable with the eccentricities of their characters and have the strangest chemistry. This, coupled with the fact that they are both undeniably easy on the eyes, makes them fit perfectly in this film that evokes the genius of Emir Kusturica. It is one of the few English Indian films which doesn't make you cringe or wish for Hindi dialogues. Everyone sounds like they were meant to be speaking English and the syntax is beautifully vernacular.

With all this said and a crisp 93 minutes of running time, Finding Fanny should have been a film that I loved. I didn't. I came out feeling unsatiated. I wanted to sink my teeth into the complex and tragic lives of these oddballs, I wasn't given that chance, there just wasn't enough meat. All the ingredients are there - like the heartbreaking lie about her husband that Dimple's character Rosie chooses to live with.

The film, however, glides over it without delving deep, perhaps a conscious decision to steer clear of Hindi movie melodrama that just went too far for me. The balance is off. The result - I went along on the ride but I just didn't care enough about the passengers. For that, with a heavy heart (because I would have preferred to give such a gutsy quirky film an all star rating), I am giving  it 3 eccentric stars.   

MoodyFoodie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Film Review: It is real, funny & thoughtful; that is the charm of 'Finding Fanny'
Friday, 12 September 2014 - 10:41am IST | Agency: DNA

Rating ***
Directed by: Homi Adjania
Starring: Deepika Padukone, Arjun Kapoor, Dimple Kapadia Naseeruddin Shah and Pankaj Kapoor

What it's about:
It's a story of five people on a road trip who set out on a journey with different agendas and discover love, themselves and each other. Angie (Deepika Padukone) plans the trip to help find the love of Ferdie's (Naseeruddin Shah) life. Her friend Savio (Arjun Kapoor) is drive them to their destination, while the car belongs to an artist called Don Pedro (Pankaj Kapoor) who comes along because he is fascinated by Rosie and wants to paint her.

What's hot: 
Finding Fanny is as quirky as it's characters. Homi takes you along on this trip to Goa in a broken car with equally broken people in it. Don't look for highlight scenes and you will find them scattered all along the film in the form of the mad Russian, the little boy who flashes his middle finger, the cat with Narcolepsy and Don Pedro's lusty manner.

Dark comedy is something rarely seen in Hindi films, but the good news is Homi isn't afraid to take the untravelled road. The director catches you unaware by revealing frailties of his characters ranging from fear and insecurity to loathing. The five dysfunctional people cry, fight, mock, abuse, pity and finally understand each other. There are beautiful little tender moments are something that are missing from our big budget bonanzas. Finding Fanny is real, funny and thoughtful, that is the charm of Finding Fanny. 

The cast is top-notch. If Homi deserves marks for making an unusual film, so do Deepika Padukone and Arjun Kapoor who surrender to the role and his vision. Naseeruddin Shah and Pankaj Kapoor are always brilliant no matter what the role or the film. Dimple Kapadia is a delight and her performance is 'big'.

What's not: 
The only thing that I see working against this film that it is niche. The humour might be too clever for those accustomed to Bollywood brand of funnies.  

What to do: 
It's five mad people traveling together. In Goa. Do you still need more reasons to watch this film? 

Coldplaying thumbnail

Finding Fanny: Opening Day Occupancy Report

Finding Fanny had a decent occupancy on the opening day. The film which is an English drama starring Bollywood stars Deepika PadukoneArjun KapoorNaseeruddin Shah,Pankaj Kapur and Dimple Kapadia in lead roles is certainly directed at the multiplex audience! And hence, the film has a low screen count in single screens theaters.

A still from movie Finding Fanny'

With a release in 900 screens, the film has had a decent opening in the morning shows in Mumbai and Delhi. This film is expected to have a major business only coming from the metros since the film is not a regular film and considering it is in English/Konkani language.

The evening and late evening shows are expected to experience a rise on footfalls as the film creates more buzz with its reviews. Due to an amazing star cast, Finding Fannywill certainly benefit from their star values.

MoodyFoodie thumbnail

edit: already posted

Edited by MoodyFoodie - 9 years ago
MR.KooL thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3

Finding Fanny - Movie Review

Cast: Naseeruddin ShahPankaj KapoorDimple KapadiaDeepika PadukoneArjun Kapoor; Director: Homi Adajania; Rating: ***1/2 (3 and half stars)

Friday, September 12, 2014   |  Copyright: india-forums.com/Bollywood  |   3 Comments  |  3099 Views

Cast: Naseeruddin ShahPankaj Kapoor,Dimple Kapadia, Deepika Padukone, Arjun Kapoor; Director: Homi Adajania; Rating: ***1/2 (3 and half stars)

There is always something about Goa that makes you feel like you are on a holiday.Homi Adajania's Finding Fanny is nothing different. When a plethora of amazing performers come together nothing but an amazing piece of art is churned out. What seems to be a mere search for a person, actually has many layers in the offering. This one makes you realize that life is not always about what we think it is. Like someone rightly said, 'Life is what happens to you when you are planning it'. Without any social message or any emotional drama, Finding Fanny looks out for that emotional chord in you, sweeps across it and leaves you with a long lasting smile on your face.

Finding Fanny revolves around five rather dysfunctional characters that live in the sleepy village of Pocolim, nuzzled deep in the interiors of Goa. One night, the old postman Ferdie (Naseeruddin Shah), receives a letter that is slipped under his door. He realizes that it is the letter he had written 46 years ago to the love of his life, Stefanie Fernandes, asking for her hand in marriage. To his utter shock, he discovers that it had never been delivered. All these years Ferdie had lived a life of melancholy and regret, believing that Stefanie had rejected him. He decides to find his beloved Fanny (as he fondly called her) and tell her the truth. Where would she be after 46 years? Dead, Happily married, Would she even remember him or is Stefanie Fernandes merely a figment of Ferdie's imagination? Four colorful characters from the village join the trip under random pretexts, though in actuality everyone wants a distraction from their mundane lives. A young widow (Deepika Padukone), a bitter mechanic (Arjun Kapoor), an aggressive artist (Pankaj Kapoor) and an obnoxious self-appointed "Lady" of Pocolim (Dimple Kapadia) join Ferdie as they experience various hilarious and moving events that change their lives forever.

Now for the main part, performances, one can't surely get enough of it in this offering. To start with Naseeruddin Shah, who plays the role of Ferdie in the film. Impeccable, flawless, enchanting, etc. the Englush language would be short of adjectives to describe what a marvelous actor he is. He personifies the character of an old post man who lives in world of his own and has no regrets or complains about it. His mere presence in the frame can grip the audience. The quest of him looking out for his long lost love is portrayed perfectly via his expressions and body language.

Pankaj Kapoor plays the role of an artist, Don Pedro Cleto Colaco, who has a fetish for voluptuous women. The eccentric character is portrayed hilariously well by him. The change in moods and expressions are so effortless, that one remains amazed.

Dimple Kapadia who plays Rosalina "Rosie" Eucharistica, in the film, is annoyingly hilarious, and the credit definitely goes to her caliber as actor where she can actually make the audience annoyed. Her voluptuousness in the film is justified as it adds to the reason of Pedro (Pankaj Kapoor) in the film.

Deepika Padukone looks gracious as a goan. Even without makeup she looks great on screen. She plays the role of Angie, the reason for the whole journey in Finding Fanny.

Arjun Kapoor who plays Angie's heartbroken lover Savio, is this angry young man in the film, whom you fall in love with. He is full of sarcasm and thus hilarious at certain situations.

There are hardly any songs in the film which is good thing. The editing is crisp and thus you don't feel like you are sitting in the theater since eternity. Over all as compared to the biggies, Arjun and Deepika do share a small role which is justified as the movie is not about them.

This one is not a contemporary masala Bollywood film, and thus may not be accepted whole heartedly. But you should definitely go for it if you want a break from the mundane films that you have been watching over and again. Like the movie says 'love is never lost, you just need to go looking for it sometimes', so this weekend go Finding Fanny, you never know, you might just find her!

MoodyFoodie thumbnail

A few things in life U cannot let pass.. This week make that date with "Finding Fanny" by @homiadajania You will find a bit of you in it '

you2 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6

Rating: 4/5 Star (Four stars)

Star Cast: Arjun Kapoor, Deepika Padukone, Naseeruddin Shah, Dimple Kapadia, Pankaj Kapur

Director: Homi Adajania

What's Good: Performances, Cinematography and the novelistic approach of the narrative.

What's Bad: It's a loopy plot that invests too little on its story. But does that perturb? Not one bit.

Loo break: None

Watch or Not?: It is not often that I can recommend a film with this confidence. Finding Fanny was an exhilarating film that is consistently enjoyable. From the first scene to the last, my smile stayed. Full of unexpected moments, filled with cheeky delight and a bold approach, this isn't the kind of film you'll get very frequently. Everyone will certainly have something to take back from this film. For some, it is hassle free breezy entertainment and for me, it was a lesson in what Homi's muse Gabriel Garcia Marquez puts well, "There is always something left to love."

User Rating: 

2 Votes

Set in the village of Pocouli, that the map doesn't mention either, the way of life and it's pace is as you wish for. Angie, a young widow lives with her mother in law Rosie who is often referred to as the first lady of the village. Angie's best friend Freddie is the local post master who gets the undelivered letter he had once posted to hos lady love, Stephanie Fernandez proposing marriage to her. The letter never reached her and is back in his hands 46 years later. Angie convinces him to go meet her and find out what she would have said had she received it.Angie, and a bunch of oddballs set out on a journey to find Fanny for him and end up discovering their own selves, their desires and their love!

Deepika Padukone and Arjun Kapoor in a still from movie Finding Fanny'

Finding Fanny Review: Script Analysis

The script isn't a work of genius I admit and so are the caricaturish characters in the film. But they are unpredictable and plotted to care and love. That's what works. More than anyone it is Don Pedro who has a certain affinity towards large women who work as his muse. A self proclaimed lover of the body, he isn't exactly what a pervert stands for. The scene where he is finished with painting Dimple is what explains the character of the man with such honesty.

The best thing about the script is its simplicity. It is a layered film and one will prefer to understand it from their own perspective. I particularly felt a certain empathy with Deepika; I did get her. When in the film, she tells Arjun that if she could smoke and roll away into slumber after sex, she would be the one doing that. And in another when exasperated with Don, she curses him aloud. It is at no level a comedy at all. Despite its light moments, the film has a heavy story to tell if you are willing to look beyond and notice it's subtleties. It's never on the face but you journey towards it as the story progresses.

The broken English dialogues rather kept me more entertained. Don't scream you will scare the robber away' exclaims Dimple in a scene or in the amusing words of Don Pedro when he blurts out, It's difficult to overcome the fear of the Dark especially in the day. To much light my dear!' The lines have their own unconventional charm to keep you engaged. And as for the story, it says more when it tries to little. That is the beauty of it.

Finding Fanny Review: Star Performances

Deepika Padukone is so brilliant in her role as Angie. She is probably the one with whom I bonded instantly. Her fluidity with her craft is memorable. It definitely enables her to create an instant liking for her charcater and she brings Angie to life like no one else could have.

Arjun Kapoor matches up the caliber of his team with his own unique enthusiasm. He is fascinating to watch and the metaphorical use of the kid who shows him the middle finger everytime he passes by, helps get a better view of his role. Kapoor is pitch perfect with his angst and innocence and both in equal measures.

Nasseruddin Shah is an institution of brilliance. And yet again, he proves that he knows how to mould himself as per his films. Known as the Romeo of Pocouli, he is endearing and does so with perfection.

Pankaj Kapur with enthrall you with his brilliance. He gives Don Pedro, his own eccentricities probably. How else will explain the ease in his shades of playing him. It's marvellous to watch him always and I can safely say Pedro would have lost meaning without.

Dimple Kapadia is exemplary. Kapadia plays Rosie with her stern demeanor and yet in the pre climax scene where she vents out at Arjun, after being used by Pedro, she delves a real flair to it. She knows how to make her roles crackle and Rosie is just another example of her versatile caliber.

Finding Fanny Review: Direction, Editing and Screenplay

And afterall, it is how Homi treats his story. It is smooth, Heady, subtle, sublime, all rolled in one package. Shot brilliantly, the trick of the film is in its engrossing storytelling. At no point will you get bored, at no point will your smile vanish. Though I had my own issues with the climax, I had my share of laugh when Nasseruddin Shah finally gets a glimpse of his lost Fanny. The anti climax and the monologue are all Adajania props, I don't quite enjoy but hell, when the man gives us a film this heartfelt, it's hard to complain. As told earlier it isn't a plot derived film, but when Adajania juxtaposes a lecherous Don with the simplicity of Fernando, he says a lot without wasting many words on it.

Technically the film is very sound. It is well shot, and we'll executed with a pleasant Goan background score and smooth music to give the audience company.

Finding Fanny Review: The Last Word

Finding Fanny isn't much about quirk as much as it is about discoveries and revelations. Despite the ending being on the disappointing side and the threadbare plot, it is the magnificent Performances that creates a certain kinship with its audiences. It doesn't play on the stereotype and is neither some path breaking film but I came out with a good experiences, a few well intended laughs and some wonderful Performances. Don't miss this. If you have the patience to unravel a treasure, Finding Fanny has one in hold for you. I am going with 4 stars.

MR.KooL thumbnail

Finding Fanny put on celluloid Marquez's words, 'There is always something left to love'. The performances shine. Loved it.

.Rohit thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Amod Mehra @ MehraAmod 5m
Censors certify films as A / UA & U.. After #FindingFannythey are considering ratings such films with W certificate.. Warning.. Weird.. !!
MR.KooL thumbnail
Finding Fanny Review - Dhoondo Fanny Ko Dhoondo! Sep 9, 2014

3.5/5

Verdict
- One chaotic road trip with mad fun people, you MUST take!

When love doesn't come knocking on your door, you go knock on its door. Out of all the valuable lessons that Finding Fanny teaches you, this one is worth taking home! Finding Fanny is the story of Angie,

(Deepika Padukone) the widow of Garbo (Ranveer Singh) who stays with her mother-in-law Rosie Eucharistica (Dimple), another widow. Angie believes that no one deserves an incomplete love story, so she sets out on a road trip with her mother-in-law, her friend Savio (Arjun Kapoor), the famous painter Don Pedro (Pankaj Kapoor) and Freddi (Naseeruddin Shah) to help find Freddi's long lost love, Stephanie Fernandes.

The first half of the movie is entertaining and two things won't escape your notice. The first being how hot Deepika Padukone is looking and the second, how beautiful Goa is! The cinematography is nothing short of brilliant! Even though, from the look of its trailer, Finding Fanny seems to be a comedy, it's not just that, it's a lot more.

The second half of the movie seems to go by a lot faster than the first half and is filled with some very unexpected turn of events that leave you shocked and amused at the same time! The movie inspires you to act and seek out whatever it is that you want, instead of waiting for it to come by. By the end of the movie, you'll manage to smile through your tears.

Whether you like this movie or not depends hugely on your taste. If you have been a lover of commercial cinema like Main Tera Hero, Om Shanti Om and Kick, Finding Fanny might not interest you that much. But if you have a taste for diverse cinema, Finding Fanny is the right pick for your palette.

All actors have done a good job, especially Dimple Kapadia who will have you in splits quite a few times during the movie.  Arjun Kapoor and Deepika Padukone's chemistry didn't quite work for me, but separately they seem to have such a hot screen presence that that makes up for the loss of the sizzle.