Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

beguiling thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 1 months ago

^I wondered about Manisha's voice too. It was long ago that I last watched a movie featuring her, hence can't be sure. 

Nonetheless seeing her acing the scenes makes one wonder WHY Hindi film makers haven't written more interesting characters for her in all this while. 

I couldn't care less about the character arc as far Sanjeeda's role was concerned. I was just happy to see her making the mark in some of the scenes that offered her scope to perform. 

Pratibha's screen presence and acting chops deserve more. (Coincidentally, she has also played Aamna Sharif's daughter in the web series 'Aadha Ishq' and here she plays Sanjeeda's daughter. I feel neither Aamna nor Sanjeeda look old enough to play onscreen mothers to such grown up children but oh well smiley39

For all the grandiose there's so much cringe-ness involved here as well. I still have 4 episodes to watch. The first 4 episodes are impressive in parts and sadistic and not so evocative in others. Hope there's more coherence in the final 4 episodes. 

Loved seeing Farida Jalal ji after ages  smiley27 She is adorable and endearing as ever <3 

Edited by beguiling - 1 months ago
Shaitan-Haiwan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

Critique Crusaders

Posted: a month ago

The downfall of SLB begins!

D3viL thumbnail

Originally posted by: oh_nakhrewaali

The last two episodes are honestly good, but pehle saare episodes mein befizul ghumaya.

I watched the first one....were you ironing and doing 9 hours worth of household chores while watching the rest of the series?  do you think I can skip 2,3,4,5,6,7 and just watch the last #8? All I want to know was who the baby grew up to be?  Can you do a spoiler alert. 

Can someone spoiler alert and tell me.. I'll spoiler alert and tell you.. I still feel numb watching episode 1 .. it was so boring.  Don't do it

oh_nakhrewaali thumbnail

Originally posted by: D3viL

I watched the first one....were you ironing and doing 9 hours worth of household chores while watching the rest of the series?  do you think I can skip 2,3,4,5,6,7 and just watch the last #8? All I want to know was who the baby grew up to be?  Can you do a spoiler alert. 

Can someone spoiler alert and tell me.. I'll spoiler alert and tell you.. I still feel numb watching episode 1 .. it was so boring.  Don't do it

Lol, no, I actually kept ffing 10 seconds, isiliye I said watch in 1.5 speed😅 well, the kid grows up to be.

You could actually just skip and watch the last two episodes, kuch nahi, sab aapas mein yedo ko tarah laad rahe until they are like "oh, the actual dushman are the English and nawaabs" but you might miss th context of how Malika, Fareedan and Wahida reach that conclusion.

*Spoiler alert*

Adhyanan Suman. He finds out on his marriage day with some nawaaban from Malika after he slaps Lajjo for doing a drunk tamasha at his wedding.

Mods, if someone makes a spoiler review threads, please shift this post there, thank you🙈

TheDecapitated thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

It was horrible, I fast forwarded after a point, couldn’t bear it. The story, writing and dialogues are just shockingly bad. Even the acting is OTT, and comical by most, except Aditi and Manisha to some extent. 

Only things that work are the mujra songs, they are all shot and choreographed beautifully. I loved aditi’s two songs and even the last one by Sharmin. Also the sets, but thats the usual.

pathaka thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6

Ok saw it …spoilers ahead 

Me and my mom were keen for this but we quickly got confused abt the aapa, khala , sahab, kiska kaun kya hai relationships 😳

I still can’t figure out who riccha Chadhas lajjo is …is she related to them? She’s called lajwanti so I’m guessing not …just a random Tawaif …I also don’t know why she was in the series …her arc finishes in 2 episodes and does not tie into anything (except manisha’s thing I spose)

it’s opulent and pretty ….but that’s slb so let’s move on lol 

It’s kinda exhausting at times …like I felt so many scenes in the screenplay were useless and didn’t help the narrative …

The whole love story between tajdar and alam could have easily worked and served as an emotional core ….but that girl Sharmin sehgal has the passion of a wet rug 😭 …she’s a good case for the anti nepo gang peeps ….classic example of why u shouldn’t just give opportunities like candy to family 

The dude who played tajdar was good …poor guy had to romance a log but he worked well ..

Aditi, sonakshi and manisha were the best of the lot …their diction, expressions were on point …

Farida jalal is a cutie …so nice to see her again 🥰

The dudes playing nawabs are all useless😒

Richa Chaddha is kinda cringe I find …like she tends to overact in dramatic scenes …maybe her character ..dunno 

There were a few awks scenes where me and my mum were all 😳…like that cartright seducing the ustaadji dude scene ….wtf was that cringe lololol …

Or Sanjeeda trying to seduce ppl…or when manisha does her wierd drunk dances …😭😭😢

The songs …were umm….good but very niche ….i don’t think they will catch on like devdas songs caught on except sakal ban …but props for all those mujra/ thumri songs sticking to authentic music from that era ….all the ladies are good dancers except maybe richa Chanda and sharmin who lack the grace of others and sharmin also lacks expressions …

overall …watch it but know that it’s a patience test sometimes …

_symphony thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7

Not correct to review after watching only 30 mins of epi 1 but honestly it was unbearable. I felt soo bad because what a waste of such aesthetics and cinematography. The sets are artistically gorgeous… each frame meticulously symmetrical.. all women looking ethereal. But what about the story? Why Gangubai worked was despite being a story about a brothel it was also a story about survival. But here most of the woman do what they are doing out of choice or at least that is how it’s been shown. 

Also I have never liked Manisha koirala who has a big part here…i find her voice and acting very empty.. no depth. She is low key depression inducing. 

I would have loved watching a Bajirao or jodha akbar as a series but not this… Most reviews on twitter say why is SLB obsessed with brothels. And exactly why? What is to glorify about them? Yeah you should not mistreat someone or downgrade something but nothing to glorify too! Period dramas are good because they entail stories of bravery or magnanimous sacrifice or impossible love. When you try to glorify something normal… nobody likes it. 

Edited by _symphony - a month ago
Mugda thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Prostitution should not be glorified with lavish sets and costumes. 

SLB's mother Leela Bhansali was from a low caste family and has an ancestral link with Tawaifs or courtesans.

He gave a tribute to his mother Leela Bhansali in Devdas where Kiran Kher played his mother's role. In that film Kiran Kher's character Sumitra was from a nauch family.

That is why Bhansali is obsessed with courtesan culture. His mother belongs to courtesan family. 

Edited by Mugda - a month ago
pathaka thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6

Man they could have cast someone remotely talented as alamzeb and they would have pulled the movie up a few notches ….alamzeb is frustrating to watch …😭

oh_nakhrewaali thumbnail

Originally posted by: pathaka

Man they could have cast someone remotely talented as alamzeb and they would have pulled the movie up a few notches ….alamzeb is frustrating to watch …😭

To answer your questions in the previous post. Lajjo was solve to Mallika when she was 6, she is like Alam and Bibbo's adopted sis and Mallika's adopted daughter

It ain't a spoiler, pehle yaa doosre epi mein hi bata dete hai