priya185 thumbnail
Posted: 3 months ago

Some spoiler reviews below

The trailer, unfortunately, falls short of capturing the essence of the film, as the talk about jingoism in the plot turns out to be baseless.

True, there is no jingoism, but the narrative unmistakably resonates with a fervent sense of nationalism. The story revolves around a squadron of...

https://www.indiaforums.com/article/review-fighter-staying-true-to-the-hype-turns-out-to-be-one-of-the-best-aerial-actioners-in-indian-c_204615
Reddit reviews below

9/10 for me. Definitely gonna see again tomorrow. Spoilers.

I expected just a big action spectacle and it delivered more.

Aerial action scenes were top notch. No question about that. Each of the aerial fight scenes kept me on the edge of the seat and had me hooked. The final fight between Patty and Azhar was well done although, it could have been a bit more intense.

I like that they didn't make it seem like without Patty, the rest are not good enough. They all managed to ambush the enemy and get Taj on their own and Patty was needed only when enemy got more reinforcements.

War and Pathaan were also big action spectacles but I was pretty disappointed by both and surprised by the praise for them. They delivered on the action part, but I didn't think they had a heart and emotional content enough to keep me hooked. Expected same from Fighter but fortunately, I was wrong.

The film had heart and made you care about the characters. Their friendship, their bonding moments were all great. And it got me teary eyed many times, Specially, the funeral and his conversation with Saachi after that.

Hr-deepika had good chemistry but their story didn't get much screen time. A bit underwhelmed about that.

As for acting, Hrithik knocks it out. He is obviously great for action scenes but he also is an incredible actor when it comes to emotional scenes. When Saachi looks away from him or later when he talks to her, bravo duggu.

Deepika was also great. Her best moment was when her parents finally accepted her. Ashutosh Rana's dialogue in that scene about assets vs responsibilities were great. I wish she had more scenes though.

The rest of the supporting cast was also great and shared good chemistry with the leads. The villain could have been better.

Many whistle worthy dialogues even if some may call them jingoistic. The dialogues in 2 way lock out during Balakot strike were goosebumps.

Music was underwhelming with the exception of Mitti song which is even better in the movie. The emotional weight was heavy.

Overall, a 9/10 for me. Going to watch again tomorrow (this time in 3D).

PS: Hrithik looks so freaking hot in uniform. Mamma Mia. I want to get beefed up like him just so I can wear those uniforms and hopefully look 10% as sexy.

PPS: I hope the movie turns out to be a blockbuster and does well despite their absolutely laughable marketing strategy.

Not only does Fighter eliminate almost all doubts and expectations one raises before it (comparisons to the Top Gun films, the VFX, Hrithik-Deepika chemistry etc), but it most importantly serves handsomely as a visual feast that deserves to be seen on the biggest screen possible. The patriotism is a tried and tested formula that may annoy at times, but it's vastly overshadowed by DNEG's brilliant work and Hrithik's moving performance, the former under Sid Anand's thrilling execution making Fighter an engaging popcorn entertainer.

(4/5)

Long review

Fighter had an almost universal reaction to its teaser and trailer, which was "This looks exactly like Top Gun". Everything about the movie does have that feel, and you can't really help feel that since watching officers establish a camaraderie with each other as they train together, gives you nothing but Top Gun vibes. But the good news is that this is where all those comparisons begin and end. While Top Gun aimed for the utmost authenticity in its flight missions (which makes sense since the jets flown there are real), Siddharth doesn't just employ the best VFX in town in order to simulate those jets, but aims more for simply bowling you over with how impressive he could make the theater screen look under his stylish and thrilling execution. Fighter is first and foremost DNEG's film. It's one thing to create fantasty-based elements like in Brahmastra, but the studio has elevated their game here, with the flight of the jets and the action sequences being awe-inducing for almost the whole film. 2-3 minor hiccups that could distract you for a while, are still very easily forgivable. This is Siddharth Anand being more ambitious than ever, going above War and Pathaan, and I'm glad to say he's succeeded in creating his best film yet.

Below all the show-shaa of the film, let's come down to the brass tactics: Is the story engaging enough? The film doesn't take a lot of time to establish its characters, which is relieving since the action is mainly what you're here for in Fighter. As stated before, the Top Gun inspirations last only till a camaraderie is established between the characters. Once the Pulwama attack occurs, the film takes a sharp turn and starts being more original about its story, the decisions made by its characters, and its action sequences (yes, that too). Some of the dialogues blatantly play to the gallery, and other scenes may sometimes feel forced in unnecessarily creating an emotional effect, leading to being underwhelmed at times. But the film overall grabs on to your attention and doesn't let go. How could it, when you're being shown one beautiful action sequence after the other? The very same sequences being coated with powerful music never fail in inducing goosebumps, and the climax of the film makes sure you leave the theater stupidly smiling to yourself. Fighter indeed does play to the gallery, but there is something about its slick execution that ultimately overshadows any sort of uneasiness or problem you might have from it.

Hrithik as Patty returns to his stylish action avatar that we last saw in his character Kabir from War, but the character's personality can be compared more favorably to his previous stylish action avatar before that, as Rajveer in Bang Bang. Like him, he's as charming and cocky as ever, but he also brings a surprising amount of vulnerability to him, something that's visible in the second half of the film. He undergoes a sizable amount of maturity and development, and is the best performer in the cast. Fighter ultimately belongs to him in the acting department. Deepika as Minnie is a charming character herself, who I'm glad to say has a sufficient amount of substance to her. Her character effortlessly bonds with Patty, but scenes with the two aren't shown that much since Siddharth focuses more on the other aspects of the film, understandably so since this is first and foremost an aerial action film. But still, whatever we see between them is pleasing and their chemistry is fortunately palpable and it works. Both of them have brilliant entry scenes as well.

Anil Kapoor does a great job as always, his scenes with Hrithik especially during a conflict being special highlights of the film. Karan Singh Grover, Akshay Oberoi and Rishabh Sawnhey don't have a lot to do, but they still provide commendable performances. Ashutosh Rana's cameo is effective as well.

Mitti and Dil Banaane Waaleya are my favourite tracks from the film, the former ensuring hardcore goosebumps as soon as it's played on screem. Sher Khul Gaye is a distracting number, which does nothing except hinder the pace of the film in the first half, but Heer Aasmani, Dil Chah Raha Hai and Ishq Jaisa Kuch are catchy songs that serve their purpose well. The BGM by Sanchit Balhara is moving, rousing and it ultimately does more in patriotism than some of the poorly written dialogues of the film.

Overall, I had a blast while watching this movie. Fighter is a film that I just can't imagine waiting to see on OTT. It deserves to be seen at the biggest screen possible, in order to experience the marvel that DNEG and Siddharth Anand created together in the best way possible. The only negatives of this film are some of its dialogues which play to the gallery, as well as some scenes that try to force an emotional moment. But apart from that, it is easily one of the best films I've seen in weeks.

I'm going with a 4/5

Edited by priya185 - 3 months ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

priya185 thumbnail

Some Deepika fans said she deepika doesn’t have many jet scenes

Edited by priya185 - 3 months ago
Autumnn thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: priya185

Deepika did not have any jet sequences

Of course she has.... 

Edit: not in jet but in air scenes she has plenty. She is rescue operator.

20240125_122145.jpg

Edited by Autumnn - 3 months ago
Autumnn thumbnail

Originally posted by: priya185

Deepika did not have any jet sequences

If you mean like HR then her job profile is different than his.

priya185 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Autumnn

Of course she has....

20240125_122145.jpg

one of her fans on Instagram said this

minakrish thumbnail

Of course she has....

20240125_122145.jpg

No, she didn't have many jet sequences because she is a helicopter pilot. She is in the rescue team.

She has maximum scenes in the helicopter/chopper.

minakrish thumbnail

Hrithik, Deepika, Anil, KSG and Akshay... all 5 were fabulous.smiley42

I enjoyed the film. Definitely worth watching at the cinemas.smiley10smiley27

Autumnn thumbnail

Originally posted by: minakrish

No, she didn't have many jet sequences because she is a helicopter pilot. She is in the rescue team.

She has maximum scenes in the helicopter/chopper.

I wrote in my second post that her job description is different from HR.

I thought priya meant in air scenes then realised she meant jet specifically so mention her job description is different.

minakrish thumbnail

I wrote in my second post that her job description is different from HR.

I thought priya meant in air scenes then realised she meant jet specifically so mention her job description is different.

Haha, yeah. She particularly said jet sequences. Deepika doesn’t have any jet sequences.

Edited by minakrish - 3 months ago