Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

baz786 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago

Originally posted by: atominis

I have been on IF since 2011 as a member and was a silent reader earlier. Without a doubt it is one of the most popular sites out there. But what is lacking is a more inclusive representation.

No offense but I find many users are largely NRIs or outside India. Ones actually based in India are comparatively less. Gender wise also it is heavily skewed towards female members. Male members are comparatively few. Age wise it seems either members are too young or middle aged. I mean broader cross section is less represented in age groups.

I see often members register but wean off because they are unable to find those with similar age group, region or gender. I personally know a few who found it hard to stay on.

I request IF to take some steps to make forum more inclusive and not mainly NRI or female dominated.

Just pointed out what I felt in my IF experience. No offense.

100% agreed

I would like to add something to this

To vijay and admin team 

There are many members nri and desis that live outside india ok
but on a larger scale there are members from the subcontinent as a whole not just india

IF members are also from Pakistan Bangladesh and Sri lanka

Can sections be created to accomodate that demographic?

I know u have a pak serials section but its not as active can something be done to promote the lesser sections

Im uk born with pak origins i enjoy coming on IF to discuss abt indian shows and watch but i also watch pakistan serials 
would it be possible to have channels for geo tv ptv urdu1 etc
kautilya04 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail

Hence asking, is this India Forums? Where is "India" here?

I laud you for asking this question πŸ‘ I've been wondering that myself for a while now. Where exactly is the "India" in this India Forums? Indian shows are discussed - yes. But in all other respects, this site has become "People from everywhere but India"-Forums πŸ˜³ πŸ˜† 

I guess there isn't much that the site owners and development team can do about this, apart from maybe changing the name to Universal-forums πŸ˜›πŸ˜› πŸ˜†

But still, it is frustrating to see all forums and threads being overrun by people who seem to have little or no idea about/ affection for this country. πŸ₯± 
-Trishh- thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Yes, it's true that there are less Indians and less males, but the question is, how could IF have a wider demographic? I don't see any way so far?
atominis thumbnail
Just see this thread from Bollywood section - https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/4348278

They post some news on crime in India and then non Indians jump in to make gross generalisations on how scary or pathetic India is or how it is like other backward countries where women are treated like trash and even babies are raped!

Then when we report such posts, still no action is taken.

I have lost count of the number of times I have seen people bash India even if they have not visited the country.
Angel-Jot thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

Hence asking, is this India Forums? Where is "India" here?

The "India" lies in the fact that the entire website is based off of Indian television shows. It lies in the fact that the website is dedicated to Indian actresses and actors. You mention the term 'inclusive' yet you rule out NRIs. If you're looking for India-Forums to be defined by members living only in India, then the correct term is 'exclusivity'.

Might I interest you in the full form of 'NRI'? Non-resident Indian. Yes, I live in Canada. Yes, I've been to India. Yes, I make 'ignorant' remarks about the country where my parents hail from. Where my roots are. But so do citizens of India.

It's impossible for Vijay to control who joins the website. Unless he restricts this website for other countries that are not India. =/ Which.. once again, is 'exclusivity'. As a side note.. astonishingly, most of the members I've come across are from India. I've met a select few NRIs so I was genuinely surprised to the opposite being brought up here.

atominis thumbnail
I know the full form of NRI. You need not tell me. Thank you.

Where did I say there should be no NRIs here?

All I am discussing is the lack of those who live in India. Indians.

I always came across more NRIs and foreigners here. And plenty of insulting, ignorant, generalising remarks on India and Indians, against which no action was taken (more often than not).

It's not like Indians are not online. They do have net access. But somehow this site has way more NRIs than Indians.

Indian and Non Resident Indian are NOT the same.

The team behind the site, should try to attract the base it could be lacking. Either through new improvements or marketing initiatives if possible.

I raised a concern and made a request to admin. I'm not asking him to control membership.

Just today, an NRI from the US has posted stuff bashing all Indians, calling all Indian men sexist a-holes who are getting rejected everywhere, losing internships and called India rape capital of the world. When given clarification that everything cannot be generalised like that, she said maybe I was living a luxurious life this is why I was not abused and no nothing about abuse, sexism of Indian men. 😲

I see gross generalisations and blatantly racist posts daily from NRIs who think their US or UK represents whole world or global perception (as that NRI user wrote). They have the gall to bash India based on isolated cases or sometimes over flimsy reasons like criticism of a celeb or failure of a film or TV show.

See - https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/4347037

We wouldn't have to see so many such posts and likes on such stuff if actual Indians were there on this forum.

The Pakistani serials forum also has India bashing comments.

No action taken on them though.

In EHT forum also we had racist posts bashing Indians on issues of rape, making fun of Indians' English and mocking how Indians called unrelated boys or girls as bhaiya or didi. No action was taken on such posts.

Heavily dominated by NRIs or foreigners, this forum makes one from India feel like minority. Edited by atominis - 9 years ago
Angel-Jot thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

It's not like Indians are not online. They do have net access. But somehow this site has way more NRIs than Indians.

The answer to your request or question lies in your comment. Exactly. If Indians do have access to the internet, choosing to become a member on IF is their choice. You can't dictate who joins the website and who doesn't.

How do you propose to make IF more 'inclusive' for people living in India? I'd love to hear what you have to say.
atominis thumbnail

Originally posted by: Angel-Jot.

The answer to your request or question lies in your comment. Exactly. If Indians do have access to the internet, choosing to become a member on IF is their choice. You can't dictate who joins the website and who doesn't.

How do you propose to make IF more 'inclusive' for people living in India? I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Please see previous pages of this topic and the discussion.

I am not dictating who joins the website. I am only saying there are less Indians here and too many NRIs and foreigners, an imbalance of sorts which is why it is hard to relate to any discussion. Therefore the admins should try to sort this out by trying to attract more Indians (who actually live in India and known firsthand what life is like here).

Please stop accusing me of dictating who joins the site or not. I am only raising concern and posting a request here to make efforts to correct imbalance.
*Dev.* thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Though I have seen this post some months ago and even have liked some comments on earlier pages and now when it has come to activity again so I would also like to present my views. 

Like the topic maker said, he or she is requesting about something to the Site's Admin Vijay and it will be really nice if he also joins us here in discussing this issue or concern.

I agree with the topic maker that NRIs and Indians, will have different point of views. Indians will have more clear view of their India as they are living here and NRIs may have something different and as its not necessary that those NRIs have lived in the India, so difference in opinions will be there for sure.

Bottom line is, every other person will or can have different opinion about any topic. If its presented nicely then it should be respected.

But if the person, NRI or non NRI, or Any person, do Not know anything real about India than that person have no rights to insult and bash India and Indians. There is a way to present your view constructively and if you cannot use civil language than this is not the place for posting abuses. Every country has some Good things and some flaws and so as India. 

I seriously Hate this, or should I say Highly Dislike those views which abuse India and Indians without knowing them in real. This is India-forums and so Every other Indian thing should be given more preference in comparison to other. Though we believe in Equality.

I also do not like those English shows and their forum's name above the names of Indian shows in the homepage. Why should they have to be above them? Fine, there so many members watching those english shows but since its India forums so don;t you think that Indian shows should be the one who should come above.  I joined India-Forums for discussing a Indian show. 
I also love and like to watch Some English shows but that won't change my Love for my own Country's shows as some of the shows are marvelously made and presented by Indian makers.

Also, I feel the Hindi Font should be added in India-Forums as Hindi is our mother tongue for most of the people,  though our India have so many other regional languages as well and that is our speciality. If there are members of other languages of India, then those can also be added for the convenience of those members who speak and understand their regional language. Each of Indian Language has its own beauty and charm. There is a huge diversity.

πŸ˜ƒ

No offense to anyone or any thing, just wanted to share my view, especially when so much of discussion was going on in the thread. 

Cheers!

PS: Haha yup, Boys are so less in our site. Girls are more, but more boys should be also here. 
-RD- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
The Beauty of India lies in its diversity and similar holds true for India forums...we dont have to follow a particular set of rules to make it Indian ..the fact is that this site runs on Indian soap & Bollywood discussions primarily and hosts interviews/ articles related to Indian television & Bollywood makes it evident and rather this site is a platform that showcases an aspect of India to the world and gives ppl a chance from across the globe to discuss that aspect .

About Indians being on India forums ,well I think there are plenty of them & even if they werent I would probably blame that on the fact that people in india have ready access to soaps on their TV sets as they air and that they have people around in real to discuss them which might not be the case for those from elsewhere around the globe since its not likely that they have a bunch of people around who are interested in Indian soaps so its more beneficial and suited for them to discuss it on a virtuual platform :)

Oh and about Boys being on this site Oh well i dont expect many to be watching ekta soaps and discussing them ...guys would prefer a sports discussion platform or a tech related platform over a soap /bollywood discussion platform any day in my opinion ...so if these sections of IF are made more attractive and popular then we might see the shift 😊

And the bit abt India bashing etc -well when controversial stuff will be shown you will get strong opinions and comments and one shud realize its not just IF but any social platform operating as a Forum and not a Fanclub  will face this issue cause its very easy to type veiled behind a screen and there is only so much one can do to stop that .Its upto an individual to respect this cyber freedom .
Edited by -RD- - 9 years ago