Why The "My Choice" Video Was Brilliant

aamir18 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 9 years ago
There has been a lot of backlash as to how s**tty, hypocrite Deepika Padukone, who eats weight loss cereal and dares to laugh at Comedy Roasts, is supporting extramarital affairs in the name of empowering women.

Oh. my. freaking. god. When will people understand that this video isn't supposed to be a moral guideline as to how women should be living their lives? Just because you have the freedom to make a choice doesn't mean every choice is one that should be made. The video also mentioned that a woman can choose to be a size 13 -- is Deepika advocating for nationwide obesity and diabetes now as well?

Our choices , right or wrong, make us who were are... they often bring consequences and they often bear reward. But suppressing them is suppressing an identity. 

People need to stop taking things so literally and personally. 

What empowerment stands for, and what the video was trying to emphasize, is the importance of a woman's actions to be regarded equivalently to her male counterparts. If she has sex or an affair or decides to pursue her career... she deserves to be regarded exactly like her husband would be in a similar situation. That's it. That's all there is to it. Deepika Padukone is not encouraging girls to take their tops off and cheat on their husbands in the name of empowerment. 

In addition to this, I noticed an army of people are also dismissing the problems faced by "privileged, entitled" urban women because of the severity of the problems in rural India. What bullshit!

Women in cities face gender discrimination every single day -- the wage gap, groping, eve teasing, inability to move up professional ranks, constant judgement for the color of their skin. They're not "born into the life of luxury". 

All these issues are important. All of them deserve to be recognized on a proper platform. You can't discredit the injustices against one woman because of those against the other. Every problem deserves a voice and a solution. 

And I, for one, think its time to stop discussing as to whether sex, drinking and smoking is right or wrong (because no opinion is superior to another) and focus instead on how girls can be respected for their intelligence and ideas rather than what they do in the privacy of their beds and the clothes they wear on their backs.

There's nothing wrong about enjoying a glass of wine on the weekend. What's wrong is being labeled as a clueless s**t when you do so.

So my sincere kudos to Deepika Padukone.

I'm not a fan or supporter of everything she does, but I sure as hell admire her raising her voice and sparking a national discussion. Cause at the end of the day, this woman has something so very little people do --- global recognition and immense power.

Somewhere in the world, a woman watched that two minute video and felt more confident in her own skin. I support anything that accomplishes that. 
Edited by aamir18 - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

babygurl10 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Exactly my thoughts. It was simply about women having freedom--choosing to live their life how they desire. 
Cutiepie_Rani thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
I agree with most everything in this article wholeheartedly. That does not mean that this video didn't have flaws. Sure it had its flaws and I do understand the other side too. But at the end of the day, Deepika too is just like one of us. The only difference is that she is a well known public figure and we are not. There's always going to be two sides. Everyone will see things in a different manner. Kudos to Deeps. (I am not a worshipper or a fangirl of hers, but the initiative behind all of this is positive and I do support her in what she is doing to raise awareness. I know it will probably not make any difference, but its an effort and initiative that is needed).
AllBlacks1 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Yeah, women have all the rights abt their choices.. 
How abt rapists? They acted upon their urges, their choices. 

This shit is more screwed up than "freedom of speech/expressions". 

aamir18 thumbnail
Fine. It is a rapist's choice to rape. Given. 

Saying he made a choice doesn't mean he is not an insufferable asshole.
Saying he made a choice doesn't mean he's empowered or virtuous. 
It doesn't mean he should be made a role model and an inspiration. 
It doesn't mean he's not going to rot in jail for the rest of his life. 

And it doesn't mean that someone who recognizes that he made a choice supports the notion of raping women either.

That man chose his actions. His choices made his identity... of being a piece of low life shit. 

Originally posted by: AllBlacks1

Yeah, women have all the rights abt their choices.. 

How abt rapists? They acted upon their urges, their choices. 

This shit is more screwed up than "freedom of speech/expressions". 

Cutiepie_Rani thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
A 'choice' you make does not have to necessarily be morally right. That's not the point. A 'choice' can be a bad/negative 'choice' as well...A morally wrong 'choice.' No one can stop a rapist from raping, or a robber from robbing, etc. That's not even the point the video was trying to make. So many people are taking it to other extremes.  Edited by Cutiepie Rani - 9 years ago
aamir18 thumbnail
THANK YOU. This PSA wasn't supposed to be "ten steps on how to be a moral person"

Originally posted by: Cutiepie Rani

A 'choice' you make does not have to necessary be morally right. That's not the point. A 'choice' can be a bad/negative 'choice' as well...A morally wrong 'choice.' No one can stop a rapist from raping, or a robber from robbing, etc. That's the even the point the video was trying to make. So many people are taking it to other extremes. 

aamir18 thumbnail
Accidental post. Edited by aamir18 - 9 years ago
aamir18 thumbnail
Sure! If that's Biru's "noble" choice as a man, then so be it. Biru sounds like a bit of a uptight and self absorbed prick, especially if that's the message he got from a two minute short film about sexism in India... but being a crappy person is just a reflection of his prerogatives after all. 

It's chill as long as Biru is regarded the same way his "clingy, whiny, bitchy ex" would be if she made the same choices as he did. 

Originally posted by: KITTYKATT

after watching film "My Choice"...biru felt confident in his own skin... "my choice to have sex outside of relationship my clingy, whiny, bitchy ex"... ❤️☺️

sayari_sanki99 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4

Exactly my point! The video is not saying that whatever men do, is wrong always. Or that women are always right. It is just trying to say that men and women should be treated equally. And equality does not mean that women are only entitled to the benefits and good things that a man enjoys. It refers to the equal treatment, which includes equal privileges and punishment for both genders. This video does not justify adultery. Not once did I hear Deepika saying in the video that adultery is "ok" for women. Not once did I hear that whatever women do, is absolutely right. If men can make a choice of committing adultery, then women can make that choice as well. A choice does not have to be right or wrong. People can make a good choice or a bad choice. But he/she also has to bear the results or consequences of that choice. It's not about right or wrong; it's about the same freedom in making choices and decisions for women as men. I don't understand why women are expected to be perfect in everything. Why is it that women HAVE to be morally correct always? Aren't they humans like men? If a women does a good job, she should be appreciated the same way as a man; if a woman commits a mistake, she should be punished the same way as a man- that's the whole point of the video, I believe.

This video is not about men vs. women as I have seen some people commenting on youtube. And I don't understand the point of bashing Deepika's personal life and choices here. I don't understand how she is being a "hypocrite" as some people say. And I don't even want to tire my brain cells by trying to figure out how the heck this video was sexist!

Some people have said that women empowerment is not all about the type of clothing of women or her sexual preferences. I agree with that. Women empowerment includes that and stretches far beyond. The whole point of women empowerment is the equal freedom and liberty of women. A woman's dressing and sexual preferences fall under that. It's her choice about what she wants to do with her life. Everyone should learn that a woman is able to make her own choice. Just leave her alone, man! She is a mature adult. She can make her own decisions, just like men can.

Just like what Zee-ji said, Deepika and Homi have done a commendable job in the video. According to me, it has conveyed the message of equality nicely. Now if people want to remain ignorant or act like brainless jerks, it's their choice.

o
Edited by sayari.majumder - 9 years ago