KARISMA KAPOOR: A TRUE MIRACLE OF DESTINY

Posted: 12 years ago

Karisma Kapoor: A True Miracle of Destiny

"Anyone can give up; it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."

These words define Karisma Kapoor.  Though the world knows her as a glamorous, yet talented actress cum superstar, few acknowledge the struggles behind the greasepaint.

Everything from separated parents, a family that was unsupportive towards her career, the cutthroat movie industry, a broken engagement and rocky marriage, stood as trials in her pathway to happiness. Yet, she always kept her chin up, turning every trial into a tribulation, and becoming the legacy that is Karisma Kapoor.

A Family Affair.

For all those who have been living under rocks for the past decade or two, Karisma Kapoor hails from the first family of Bollywood ' The Kapoor Khandaan (which includes her grandfather Raj Kapoor, Uncle Rishi Kapoor, Parents Babita and Randhir Kapoor, Sister Kareena Kapoor & Cousin Ranbir Kapoor).

Hailing from a famous film family didn't make life easy for her, as her parents separated at a young age. Lolo (as her family and friends lovingly call her) and her sister, Kareena were brought up single handedly by their mom Babita, for the Kapoors had distanced themselves from their family. Kareena herself admitted that their mother had to sell her jewelry to help make ends meet.

With several members of her family being involved in several facets of the Bollywood film industry, Karisma's career choice was a given. Though her career choice was met again with no family support. It is a firm belief of the Kapoor family that girls should not be apart of the movie industry, especially as actresses. The tradition also resulted in Babita and Neetu Singh retiring from acting when they married. Though the belief is understandable, looking at the trauma actresses in the industry go through ' casting couch etc, a little help from her family would have gone a long way.

Obtaining a debut film when you're a star kid these days is a walk in the park, yet Karisma (then Karishma ) struggled to bag her first film Prem Qaida.  Her family's stance on Kapoor girls not acting stood strong, and none turned up to support her first film (nor her sister Kareena's debut film Refugee). Ironically the second cousin Ranbir Kapoor debuted in 2007, the entire shining Kapoor army was in full attendance.

From Neelima to Aarti

The years post her debut in 1991, were a struggle, and though she had several moderately successful films, she struggled to keep a foothold in the industry. She was also met with stiff competition from her contemporaries ' Madhuri Dixit and Kajol.  Yet again being a Kapoor girl didn't matter, she did the sort of roles that would be considered embarrassing for star kids to do, and the costumes she donned in the films even more so. Clearly she encountered the horrors of the industry her family tried to protect her from as Kareena reveals that she remembered Karisma crying herself to sleep as an actress. Lolo, the ever diplomatic always brushed over everything with a golden brush, the way she made it seem, you would think it was all sunshine and daisies for her.

It wasn't until the Aamir Khan starrer in Raja Hindustani in 1996 that people finally began to take her seriously. The film moved on to become a huge blockbuster, and won Lolo her first Filmfare Best Actress award. It was pretty much all uphill from there , winning several awards (Dil to Pagal Hain, Fiza and Zubeeida), and hitting a winning streak at the box office ( Judwaa, Hero no 1,  Dil To Pagal Hain, Biwi no 1, Hum Saath Saath Hain & Jaanwar, ). Post the turn of the millennium, Karisma cut down the number of films per annum, eventually taking a hiatus from cinema post her marriage in 2003.
She featured in a serial called Karisma- Miracles of Destiny in 2003.

Currently she is all set to make her comeback into the film industry with Vikram Bhatt's film Dangerous Ishhq, a film that spans several eras, and the remake of the yesteryear film Satte pe Satta.

Biwi No.1

As though her struggles with her parents and the industry were not enough, her love life also was extremely eventful. One of her first prominent relationships was with fellow actor Ajay Devgan, however it was a known fact that Ajay was courting Raveena Tandon at the same time, and later dumped both of them when he fell head over heels for Kajol. Several rumours also linked her to her favorite director David Dhawan, but her next life-altering relationship was with Abhishek Bachchan.

An announcement for the marriage of Abhishek and Karisma was made in October 2002, yet four months later, the engagement was called off. Neither party has clarified the reasons for the break-off, however it has resulted in a rift between the Kapoors and Bachchans for several years. Within the same year, she was married off to Sanjay Kapur, a businessman. Reliable sources indicate that Babita forced Karisma into the marriage, with the prospect of endless wealth in her newfound spouse.

Their marriage began with a rocky start, with several separations and patch ups over the years. Sanjay Kapur was also rumoured to be having an affair with a Delhi Socialite at one point, and at another point rumoured to be addicted to recreational drugs. Ask Karisma, and she always keeps mum on her personal life, yet again glossing over her problems by brushing them away. She later had two children a daughter Samaira (2005) and a son, Kiaan (201).

The comeback
Over the years we've watched Karisma evolve from a simple young girl to the yummy-mummy and woman of substance she has now become. She's gone from being a nobody to a living legend of an actress. From a girl from a family with broken marriage to a girl that never fails to fix her own marriage.  Like a phoenix she continues to rise from the ashes of endless struggles, to become the beautiful tower of strength she is today.

If any actress can make a successful comeback to the industry, it clearly is Karisma Kapoor, and we wish her all the best on her new journey in the industry. She clearly is an inspiration to one and all. Karisma Kapoor- A True Miracle of Destiny.  

Edited by Nkapoor2 - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sultan_Of_Swing thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
I love the baby pink ghagra Karishma wore at her wedding, so pretty.
IHeartDeepika thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
She is so pretty..love her! 😍
this is a blog written by a common person..there are quite a few things in this blog that I do not agree with!
Sultan_Of_Swing thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
I may not relate to the things she has done in her personal life, but she has always carried herself with elan even when she was going through turmoil in her personal life. In certain ways she and Ash are a lot alike, they have a certain calmness about them. And both of they also have light coloured eyes.

Thinking about it Abhishek fell in love with similar kind of women.

Originally posted by: Naach_Basanti

I may not relate to the things she has done in her personal life, but she has always carried herself with elan even when she was going through turmoil in her personal life. In certain ways she and Ash are a lot alike, they have a certain calmness about them. And both of they also have light coloured eyes.

Thinking about it Abhishek fell in love with similar kind of women.

well both are water sun signs..so they would be similar..both of them are known to be emotional
dats from chal mere bhai...that year she gave two sucking movies like dulhan hum le jayenge and chal mere bhai...and the fall of 2000, she returned with a solid fiza, and damn i became her fan...i expect the same from her sister, but she fails me everytime 😆
bursts out laughing...

crescendo decrescendo...
😍my lolo de jaaan! 😍

ruky786 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
@Neetu I loved Chal Mere Bhai and Dulhan Hum Le Jayenge lol!😆 CMB came on TV yesterday was watching it haha!

And yeah man she looked so beautiful on her wedding!😍 I watched her wedding film! I loved it! (I'm a massive fan of watching anyone's wedding film) 😆😆